You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.27 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » An Interview
Bottom
Topic Subject:An Interview
Bulba Khan
Legionary
(id: stormer)
posted 05 September 2008 07:46 EDT (US)         
Strategyinformer has interviewed CA on ETW, cannot Elaborate more, now go and read for yourself

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
AuthorReplies:
zlack
Legionary
posted 05 September 2008 08:25 EDT (US)     1 / 27       
This game is becoming more complex and detailed every week!
Announcements will be made in the future but we do have plans to make this an extremely moddable game.
Modders, start your engines.

This is not a signature.
Bulba Khan
Legionary
posted 05 September 2008 09:12 EDT (US)     2 / 27       
On your marks!

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
Andalus
Legionary
posted 05 September 2008 09:24 EDT (US)     3 / 27       
Empire will feature up to 10,000 units at once in Land Battles. These are handled with approximately 20 unit cards.
Approximately? What?
The next challenge was getting ships to move across that water in a way that at least felt and looked realistic. And then on top of that make them sink in a way that looked real. In the end we created a system that gave ships appropriate buoyancy and, when the ship was holed, made it take on water in a way that looked great.
Oh my! Better and better.
Strategy Informer: Will we see a demo before the official game release? If yes, when can we expect to see it?

Creative Assembly: It’s too early to speculate at this point.
Sods.
Trottski
Legionary
posted 05 September 2008 11:58 EDT (US)     4 / 27       
For example; competing nations’ warships will fight over trade routes and access to the seas. We now have “Trade Theatres” (Such as the East Indies, East Africa, the Ivory coast and South America) where the main objective is to monopolise the trade goods produced there and ship them back to your home ports, without the enemy getting their hands on it. Supporting your overseas colonies and invasions of other continents will require shipping of troops and protecting them with your navies. Failure to protect transported troops will result in disaster unless you manage to avoid enemy shipping.
I can see myself slogging and loathing this and I'm sure other people will.
Agents have been reduced in number, made more important and overhauled. Now we have Gentlemen who can turn their hand to increasing the speed of your nation’s research, steal enemy technology or duel with enemy Gentlemen and Rakes. Meanwhile Rakes will assassinate, sabotage and spy on armies.
Sounds a bit childish. Why not call Rakes, Agent's, and Gentlemens, Spies. Or just have them put into one. Because spies at this time are more likely to steal enemy technology and what the hell is a Rake!

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE
Better yet. Syria is creating a chemical weapon who's only known antidote is foreskin-Mebert
Real men do stuff to each other...Share needles, tickle scrotums, and take photos-Jax
Peace & Chicken Grease
Trottski
Guy Fawkes
Legionary
posted 05 September 2008 15:28 EDT (US)     5 / 27       
"what the hell is a Rake!"
A "Rake" is an old-fashioned word for someone without too many morals.
"ensuring that fighting the French *actually feels like* fighting the French, as opposed to battling Native Americans, or other factions who might and should behave very differently - in terms of how they form, how they move and use the units and special abilities under their disposal, and how they react to the player's actions."
Brilliant!
"I can see myself slogging and loathing this and I'm sure other people will."
I'd imagine that they'll have a trade system like in Call to Power II.

"[President Warren G. Harding's speeches] leave the impression of an army of pompous phrases moving over the landscape in search of an idea; sometimes, these meandering words actually capture a straggling thought, and bear it triumphantly, a prisoner in their midst, until it dies of servitude and over-work." -- William McAdoo
"He cannot be great, who has ceased to be virtuous." -- Dr. Johnson

[This message has been edited by Guy Fawkes (edited 09-05-2008 @ 03:33 PM).]

Ubernoober
Legionary
posted 05 September 2008 17:29 EDT (US)     6 / 27       
I hope they don't just lump all Native Americans together.

It is not enough that I succeed, but my enemies must fail.

I came, I saw, and was crushed.

Mongols? Time for a strategic retreat to the Atlantic.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 06 September 2008 09:46 EDT (US)     7 / 27       
This is newsied on both front pages.
http://medieval2.heavengames.com/
http://rtw.heavengames.com/
Thanks for the heads up Stormer.

I'm not sure about the trade routes Trottski. Up till now, a player could make a very strong empire without bother to recruit even a single ship. Now if a player wants to be strong, they'll have to put a bit of effort in there too.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 06 September 2008 10:20 EDT (US)     8 / 27       
Where it says gentlemen will be put up as spies or maybe assasians I wonder how he's going to do that. Sleep with the French's king daughter.

I don't want a gentlemen turning out like Darcy from Pride and Prejudice.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 10:33 EDT (US)     9 / 27       
Gentlemen should just be captains or recruitable generals. Their current role makes little sense.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 06 September 2008 10:52 EDT (US)     10 / 27       
I'm liking the sound of the agents- stealing technology and such could turn into great fun

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Andalus
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 11:37 EDT (US)     11 / 27       
Sounds too Civ-ish to me.

I too think Gentlemen and Rakes sounds too childish. We have had Spies and Assassins since MTW. Let's keep it that way.
Bulba Khan
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 11:59 EDT (US)     12 / 27       
Andalus, your out-of-date, maybe a change is better.

Guy Fawkes
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 12:08 EDT (US)     13 / 27       
"We have had Spies and Assassins since MTW."
Well, in Medieval II: Kingdoms Americas Campaign, there were Guides, Explorers etc.

Besides, I'm sure we'll be able to mod the agents' names fairly easily.

"[President Warren G. Harding's speeches] leave the impression of an army of pompous phrases moving over the landscape in search of an idea; sometimes, these meandering words actually capture a straggling thought, and bear it triumphantly, a prisoner in their midst, until it dies of servitude and over-work." -- William McAdoo
Andalus
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 12:48 EDT (US)     14 / 27       
Andalus, your out-of-date, maybe a change is better.
Change is never better.
Bulba Khan
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 12:54 EDT (US)     15 / 27       
No change is good sometimes like When I changed my old pc to a newer one.

Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 07 September 2008 00:16 EDT (US)     16 / 27       
Change is never better.
Are you sure you don't want change I couldn't stomach having Shogun 5: Total War in successive years with no changing to the medieval period, Ancient Rome and etc :P

Looking good so far...

[This message has been edited by Scipii (edited 09-07-2008 @ 00:28 AM).]

Bulba Khan
Legionary
posted 07 September 2008 01:17 EDT (US)     17 / 27       
Ah, Scipii got it in one.

Andalus
Legionary
posted 07 September 2008 19:48 EDT (US)     18 / 27       
I didn't really mean nothing should ever change. But when a system works fine, there is no need to make an unnecessary change. The thing is, it's not even the concept, so much. I just think the names of the agents sound ridiculous. But as Guy said:
I'm sure we'll be able to mod the agents' names fairly easily.
I for one will be doing that the moment I install it.

But despite my comments, this really is looking good. From what we have seen, it will put all other games in the shade. I just don't want it to be spoiled by overcomplication. All things need change, but there should still be that plain simple essence of the TW game.
Intrepid C I F
VIP
posted 08 September 2008 05:47 EDT (US)     19 / 27       
Dont worry.
Overcomplication is not on our agenda.
Our ambition on this game has been to give the player more choices and more interaction, but simplifying the process of manangement, and making things more imediately obvious.
Hopefully you'll agree when you finally get a chance to play the game.

Intrepid C I F ~ C.A Staff

http://www.totalwar.com

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 08 September 2008 06:30 EDT (US)     20 / 27       
That's very encouraging news Intrepid.

I for one look forward to the changes and additions that are going to be a part of E:TW. Of course when it comes out the pc I have now is nowhere near capable of handling it, so I'll probably stick EB and later EB2 until I get a new rig.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Cherub of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 08 September 2008 06:45 EDT (US)     21 / 27       
*whistles*

Can't wait for ETW, looking forward to it.

Your up early DU.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 08 September 2008 10:39 EDT (US)     22 / 27       
Thanks, Intrepid
IMO, Rakes and Gentlemen seem to fit more with the theme and their roles. Rakes area combined spy and assassin, after all (To be honest, the two professions merged into a grey area ), and what other name could you have for the function the Gentlemen? An inventor? Hm...

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Bulba Khan
Legionary
posted 08 September 2008 11:02 EDT (US)     23 / 27       
Thanks Intrepid, encouraging news, I like the names of the agents, better than just the original spy and assassin

Guy Fawkes
Legionary
posted 08 September 2008 13:42 EDT (US)     24 / 27       
"Sounds too Civ-ish to me."
Oh, I don't know, I've always kinda liked Civ-style games.

EDIT:
"the main objective is to monopolise the trade goods produced there and ship them back to your home ports, without the enemy getting their hands on it."
I'd imagine that this will be like Call to Power II. So you can pirate your enemies' trade routes by moving an army (land) or navy (sea) onto them, appropriating all revenue they would produce that turn for you.

[This message has been edited by Guy Fawkes (edited 09-08-2008 @ 01:45 PM).]

teufel0331
Legionary
posted 08 September 2008 16:37 EDT (US)     25 / 27       
i agree with the above -- 'rakes' and 'gentlemen' sounds a bit too fantastic to me. there was nothing wrong with the more generic spy, assassin, explorer tags w/o it getting all dopey!
The Toad
Legionary
posted 08 September 2008 23:07 EDT (US)     26 / 27       
I think that the idea of Gentlemen and Rakes does seem a bit strange, but I think CA could take this break from tradition and do something with it. I like the idea of a system that allows you to spawn a single type of agent, and let his attributes sort out what he becomes (similar to the Chivalry/Dread system in M2). A Man might be trained in a city with high unrest and have more "dread", and therefore would be better at spying and assassinating, where as a man trained in a city with a high level town hall or government center would become a more effective diplomat. Obviously there are some logical flaws to the idea of hitman-diplomats, but I think the duality that CA took with their generals in M2 was a great step forward as regards to strategic gaming, and I'd love to see that taken further.

As George rightly puts it: "Andrew Johnson, Pat Buchannan, and that guy who invented the vacuum cleaner. Right off the bat, three Presidents who were worse than me!"
Trottski
Legionary
posted 09 September 2008 15:47 EDT (US)     27 / 27       
Oh, I don't know, I've always kinda liked Civ-style games.
Even the annoying dink dink tune the spies make when they move.
and what other name could you have for the function the Gentlemen? An inventor?
Errm. Spy or a maybe a kinda like a Agent. And he walks around the map more stealthily then a spy.

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE
Better yet. Syria is creating a chemical weapon who's only known antidote is foreskin-Mebert
Real men do stuff to each other...Share needles, tickle scrotums, and take photos-Jax
Peace & Chicken Grease
Trottski
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames