You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » New Land Battles FAQ - 20th October
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Land Battles FAQ - 20th October
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 22 October 2008 07:31 EDT (US)         
Scipii with some more Empire: Total War news again. This time the developer's at Creativy Assembly have updated the Total War blog with a new FAQ all about land battles in Empire: Total War. So sit back and enjoy as the developers reveal more about land battles in the upcoming Empire: Total War.

Here is an extract of the beggining of the blog...
Hi guys,

Welcome to our sixth Empire: Total War FAQ, where this month we tackle even more of your Land Battle questions…

Will guns be distinguishable by their appearance and smoke etc?

You will be able to tell the difference between very large, large, medium and small cannon, carronades, 8 and 10 inch mortars, rifles, carbines and muskets, I’m not sure you will get more granularity than that. We felt that anything more is unlikely to be noticed in the thick of battle.

If artillery gun crew lines are broken, will they flee to safer ground until its safe to return, or will they route from the field?

This question is not easily answered as it depends on the situation. If the artillery is sufficiently spooked, they will flee. If not, they will route to a safer place until they can return to their guns or the situation turns so bad they have to run from the field of battle.

Can we have the option to preview a battlefield before choosing battle?

Generals don’t always get to pick the ground that they fight on and great generals will even take the ground chosen by the enemy and make it their own. Or to put it another way: The current mechanism assumes that the battlefield chosen is the best that could be attained as a result of manoeuvre and counter manoeuvre of opposing forces and the limits of terrain in the area. We give the player time to review the battlefield in the deployment phase and there are a number of cues as to the likely composition of the battlefield obtainable by looking at the campaign map.
To read more visit HERE
AuthorReplies:
Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 22 October 2008 07:47 EDT (US)     1 / 14       
Thanks man, you've been newsied.

And a very interesting FAQ it is!

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 22 October 2008 08:43 EDT (US)     2 / 14       
Awesome stuff, nice catch again Scipii.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
zlack
Legionary
posted 22 October 2008 11:11 EDT (US)     3 / 14       
This one interested me:
Will it be possible to shot at the horses so they are dead, but the riders stand up and keep on fighting without their horses?

We are looking in to a suitable method of implementing this but we have yet to come up with a solution that works in all cases.
This could be the first time that I see a strategy game where the horses die separately from the people riding them.

This is not a signature.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 22 October 2008 11:47 EDT (US)     4 / 14       
They have that in Mount & Blade but that probably doesn't count as a strategy game.

An interesting read there, this game is starting to make me drool!
HAMandCHEESE
Legionary
posted 22 October 2008 11:49 EDT (US)     5 / 14       
zlack.. I think that means that they wont be doing it since they havent figured out a way to make it work yet. although i agree that it would be really cool to see.

Great find Scipii!
zlack
Legionary
posted 22 October 2008 12:28 EDT (US)     6 / 14       
Well they have a dismount feature for some units, it shouldn't be impossible.

This is not a signature.
General_II
Legionary
posted 22 October 2008 18:33 EDT (US)     7 / 14       
This could be the first time that I see a strategy game where the horses die separately from the people riding them.
Sadly, that's been around since the feature was in an old tbs/rtt game called Lords of Magic in 1998. Not only did riders sometimes fall from horses, who would run off the screen, but also fall from mounted lizards and sea serpents.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 23 October 2008 07:53 EDT (US)     8 / 14       
But you couldn't kill the mount and the riders be left alive. And the mounts were always left alive.

I remember Lords of Magic...

It sucked.
SpartanOfShadowz
Legionary
posted 23 October 2008 14:57 EDT (US)     9 / 14       
"...8 and 10 inch mortars, rifles, carbines and muskets..."
Carbines

The blood we spill today is just the beginning
Proud to be American/Polish/Irish/Welsh
Empire Total War Heaven : March 3rd, 2009 US
Call of Duty 4/Call of Duty WAW/Halo 3 Beta tester
No need to spell my name, just call me Ben!
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 23 October 2008 15:22 EDT (US)     10 / 14       
1.4 km2 battlefields! That's 1.2 km square battlefields!

Interesting what they say about generals. I was hoping for an "agent" type system but a unit that has to be protected and is basically useless at direct combat would work fine too.

An Wellington as a character? I can't wait for some close run things!

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 24 October 2008 15:56 EDT (US)     11 / 14       
Are different countries’ uniforms, colours and changes in uniforms included?

Yes but as much as we would like to include every uniform, every turn back, every button, every badge and every uniform colour represented by every nation, in the game, and reflect all those uniform changes in detail over the 18th century (100 years), the logistics really aren’t viable for a game made in the time we have.

As a result we chose to select a representative sample of uniforms from throughout the period to reflect that change and variety. Every nation has a "national colour" that we use to represent that nation and is featured strongly in their uniforms. On top of that we add variations, where we think its effective, in their uniforms that are appropriate either according to faction or unit type or in some cases both. That isn’t the end of things though.
Strangely enough, the "uniform issue" has become a major issue on other fansites, which accounts for the testy tone in the quote above. I can't see the fuss myself. I want a good all-round gaming experience, not just fancy uniforms.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 25 October 2008 03:02 EDT (US)     12 / 14       
Indeed Gaius, if I wanted pretty little uniforms I would play Tabletop or Empire: Total Pretty Uniforms!. I will play Empire: Total War because it has an epic campaign map, improved campaign UI, Naval Battles, the warfare of the 18th Century and it presents an entirely new challenge for me to overcome to dominate the world as the British! (lol)
Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 27 October 2008 07:03 EDT (US)     13 / 14       
Strangely enough, the "uniform issue" has become a major issue on other fansites, which accounts for the testy tone in the quote above. I can't see the fuss myself. I want a good all-round gaming experience, not just fancy uniforms.
Apart from that, uniforms for this period are incredibly problematic. Firstly, many countries did not implement uniforms until the second half of the century; before then, uniforms were designated by regimental commanders (who were effectively mercenary captains, maintaining a regiment on behalf of the country), and while these often used similar patterns, this similarity was not necessarily guaranteed.
Secondly, many uniforms were frustratingly similar: the Dutch Republic's dark blue uniforms would, in game, be very difficult to distinguish from Prussia's dark blue uniforms.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
Pertti Susilainen
OD Loaf-ward
(id: Sukkit)
posted 27 October 2008 09:05 EDT (US)     14 / 14       
Make uniforms adequate but also completely moddable and let the community deal with the problem. Sounds like the best option to me.

Hu seo þrag gewat, genap under nihthelm, swa heo no wære
"As for the comment made by eithyddyswcitwr, could you please post back with better grammar that we can all understand, thankyou."
Winner of Sul's Most Obvious Comment Award
Tsunami StudiosWildfire Games
The Frankish Throne (4.6)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames