You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.17 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » New Gamespot preview 27th oct
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Gamespot preview 27th oct
sskrypteia
Legionary
posted 28 October 2008 06:27 EDT (US)         
Empire: Total War Updated Impressions - Diplomacy, Strategy, and Massive Land Battles

link 1

I dunno the html thing to do it as a link so yea.

And also new screenies, including campaign ones

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42571/Empire-Total-War-Screenshots

[This message has been edited by Gaius Colinius (edited 10-28-2008 @ 07:12 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Roman Warlord
Legionary
posted 28 October 2008 07:44 EDT (US)     1 / 17       
In the battle we saw, the Americans had researched fiery projectiles that resembled catapults at sea. The range of fire was more than twice that of cannon fire, so these ships deployed in the rear of the formation, acting as a sort of artillery unit. Many a French ship caught fire from this terrifying weapon, and crews that were forced to put out fires on deck were demoralized.
I hope this can be modded out, WTF are CA thinking?

Range double a cannon?
sskrypteia
Legionary
posted 28 October 2008 07:52 EDT (US)     2 / 17       
I'm sure that's merely an approximation, and if not, the bloomin thing will be incredibly inaccurate. It will have some draw back for balance.

Síleann do chara agus do namhaid nach bhfaighidh tú bás choíche. - Both your friend and your enemy think that you will never die.
Roman Warlord
Legionary
posted 28 October 2008 08:11 EDT (US)     3 / 17       
Where have they got it from though?

I've never heared of such a weapon in history.
HAMandCHEESE
Legionary
posted 28 October 2008 09:50 EDT (US)     4 / 17       
CA has done that before with Greek Fire.

There was no actual account of handheld flamethrowers. Greek Fire was used onboard ships and as seige equipment.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 28 October 2008 11:24 EDT (US)     5 / 17       
Nice. Newsied.

You can put links in your post by using this BBCode:

[url=site-url-goes-here]some text[/url]

For example, this:

[url=rtw.heavengames.com]Rome: Total War Heaven[/url]

will come out as this:

Rome: Total War Heaven

Hussarknight
General_II
Legionary
posted 28 October 2008 13:29 EDT (US)     6 / 17       
I hope that the winged hussars from the article make a whistling noise like their historical counterparts.
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 28 October 2008 14:36 EDT (US)     7 / 17       
Why did they make an whistling noise?

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 28 October 2008 17:50 EDT (US)     8 / 17       
The wings apparaently made the whistling noise when they moved. It is unclear if they actually did though, it is partly speculation, as far as I know.

I am glad to see the winged hussars are in it.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 10-28-2008 @ 05:52 PM).]

Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 28 October 2008 19:32 EDT (US)     9 / 17       
Nice find sskrypteia!

Good to have extra eyes around now that the Empire updates are pouring in. And winged Hussars are awesome, back in the day my favourite unit in AoK.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 28 October 2008 19:37 EDT (US)     10 / 17       
Because history isn't written yet, says Creative Assembly, some events may not happen as expected. The French Revolution, for example, won't take place if the middle and lower classes are pacified by French royalty. Napoleon may be born into the Spanish Empire if it occupies territory in France. All told, there are about 100 historical figures that will add to the might of your empire, including famed scientist Isaac Newton and the infamous English rogue Dick Turpin.
I presume you'd have to hold Corsica to get Napoleon?
Each faction will share the same technology tree, though the units trained in such research will be specific to each faction. For example, researching infantry as the British will give you access to the Redcoats, highly disciplined troops.
I kind of miss the RTW way in which each faction was very unique but trying to make each faction totally individual wouldn't work in ETW.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 28 October 2008 19:44 EDT (US)     11 / 17       
I kind of miss the RTW way in which each faction was very unique but trying to make each faction totally individual wouldn't work in ETW.
I share your concern about this, but I guess conflict was much more 'regimental' and 'formed' for lack of better words. Although the majority of Catholic factions were almost the same save for starting position in Medieval II and it didn't really detract from the gameplay.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Andalus
Legionary
posted 28 October 2008 19:50 EDT (US)     12 / 17       
And in Shogun, each faction was exactly the same except for economic discounts. And that was the best TW game...

Hopefully there will be plenty of ways to make each faction different.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 10-28-2008 @ 07:51 PM).]

New Roman
Legionary
posted 28 October 2008 21:24 EDT (US)     13 / 17       
Simply put, starting positions, starting economy, starting troop numbers, which neighbors you have, all make each faction extremely unique and these factors determine the way you play the game. I'm also sure that before release CA will have added some more faction-specific units not to mention the mods that the people here at heaven games will be producing. In the end playing each of the factions is going to be unique experience each providing its own surprises and challenges
Ibuprofen Redux
Legionary
posted 28 October 2008 21:33 EDT (US)     14 / 17       
Very excited, liked the screenies, I'll read the article when I get the time.

"...angry men must also be strong, if they would achieve their purpose."
-Livy
Guy Fawkes
Legionary
posted 31 October 2008 09:00 EDT (US)     15 / 17       
"Where have they got it from though?

I've never heared of such a weapon in history."
Probably some sort of rocket, I'd imagine.

"[President Warren G. Harding's speeches] leave the impression of an army of pompous phrases moving over the landscape in search of an idea; sometimes, these meandering words actually capture a straggling thought, and bear it triumphantly, a prisoner in their midst, until it dies of servitude and over-work." -- William McAdoo
"He cannot be great, who has ceased to be virtuous." -- Dr. Johnson
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 31 October 2008 10:46 EDT (US)     16 / 17       
This is probably the wrong place for it - but I think that the research is likely to be a bit of a let down for me - having one of those "There is the research tree, to get X you need to do a, b and c and it will take # turns and £Y" things

I can appreciate that a new tactic such as firing in a certain way may be fairly obvious, but I still hold out a little hope that there will be some element of luck in the theoretical type research. You can encourage scientists to look into an area, but can you say "you have 3 years and £10,000, now you will invent steam engines in that time and exactly on budget"?

I think the best way to do the research sort of thing would be to have broad areas, which could be limited by what scientists etc have suggested to date, where you could choose how much funding to put into it - and there'd be a reasoned probability (i.e. chances increase after a sustained period of sensible spending, not if you chop and change a lot) of that research paying off, preferably with one of several things to make it less certain.

Does anyone agree with that, or are fixed time and cost research trees better?
Ischenous
Legionary
posted 31 October 2008 11:14 EDT (US)     17 / 17       
I think your idea is good. Perhaps you could also make it more likely to happen if more countries know it too.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames