You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Judea - Total war

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.253 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Judea - Total war » Judea - Total war starting and looking for members!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Judea - Total war starting and looking for members!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5  Next Page »
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 05 June 2008 01:04 EDT (US)         
JUDEA TOTAL WAR IS A 100% OPEN MODIFICATION on the singular condition that credit is given where credit is due. ALL PROPERTY OF THE MOD IS RELEASED FOR GENERAL PUBLIC USE, DISTRIBUTION, AND/OR FURTHER ALTERATION.

ALL MATERIALS LENT OR DONATED TO JUDEA TOTAL WAR REMAIN THE PROPERTY OF THE RESPECTIVE CREATORS UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.

AS SUCH THE CREATORS TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY for the ultimate nature or effects of any materials. By knowing receipt of materials you consent to the above. HAPPY MODDING!

(hitties, hebrews, philistines, assyrians, kessites, babylonians, egyptians)

Alright, so i've been kicking this idea around in my head for some time, but I think i'm going to go for it now, if i can drum up support, and you all are the first to hear!

The game will use BI and start probably around 1250 BC and go (for whoever wants to) until probably around 950 BC, beginning with the bronze age collapse and ending with the time of Judges as well as the beginning of Assyrian domination.

The map will reach from the west of egypt to the iran, from the Dardanelles to central arabia.

factions (so far) :

Egypt, Ethiopia/Abyssinia

Assyrians, Babylonians

Hittites, Neo-Hitties
Philistines

Amalekites, Edomites? Midianites? Moabites?

Hebrews

GOD/senate - because there wouldn't be Hebrews without commandments. For you non-abrahamics, consider this faction as representing the religious influence, if not true divinity. Non-playable.
Sea people - Non-playable

rebels.

functions/features - what is different?

new map - which i gotta make

no navy, but wait! - this is important. God and the Sea People will have islands that cannot be reached by the player from which they will come. God will have a single city that is immensely wealthy that will trade with the hebrews - turning away from god as the hebrews will mean a huge loss of income (plagues and famine) as well as unrest. enter forced diplomacy script.

desert "towns" - non-towns that will have buildings that cannot be built, used for gathering troops in the desert. they can be built into towns later, but they will be more abstract towns than anything else, representing the "big fish" in the region rather than a true settlement.

wo do we have?

Me! I can do unit lists using existing models and brandy-new skins (see photos), and i can put a map together, and recruitment etc, but i can't do crazy stuff.

who do we need?

coders who know what they are doing! I can do everything myself if i set my mind to it, but by that point everyone will be playing Empires.

historians! i only have the bible and wikipedia and so many hours in a day to go through jstor etc.

anyone with experience putting a mod together! i'll be basically raping my home version of the game until i meet someone capable of doing non-destructive modding.

other artists! not that i can't do skins myself but more hands never hurt.

anyone interested?

all WIPs - also, legs and arms to be replaced with original skins, particularly on chariots which will sport bare arms with bracers.
http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08234/01289.jpg
hittite swordsmen - middle infantry unit. face is strange because i'm going for 100% original which takes some practice.
http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08234/02838.jpg
more of the hittite swordsmen.
http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08234/04371.jpg
hittite chariots - gotta fix that darn egyptian skin, also needs to face and hat in addition to arms and legs.
http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08234/03413.jpg
philistine skirmishers - need new shield in addition to arms and legs. also upper chest not drawn.

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 09-06-2008 @ 00:59 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Boetje
Legionary
posted 26 August 2008 10:32 EDT (US)     201 / 253       
i had that once with elephants, but only when they where hit with boiling oil. i have never seen it happen with normal missiles, though.

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 26 August 2008 16:18 EDT (US)     202 / 253       
Danilh - that's terribly vague, don't you think? :P.

What i hoped to accomplish (and we ARE on hold i think) includes:

New textures, and some new models, to create new "fine-sized" lists for each army. That is, I would prefer to avoid the unnecessary roman lists (thirty types of astoundingly similar infantry that could be done with experience) while paying better attention than they do to other armies (the barbarian factions in particular lacking good options).

I don't see a reason to pursue things like AoR etc. though. Or trying to rewrite the ENTIRE game as this often ends up in things going backwards (like how missile units are even more overpowered in RTR than vanilla, despite their goals - simply because they had too many other things to think about)
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 26 August 2008 23:48 EDT (US)     203 / 253       
AoR can add quite a bit of interesting gameplay options and isn't too hard to set up a simple one.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kŠn ɹid ­ɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 27 August 2008 00:18 EDT (US)     204 / 253       
caesar - how exactly is it set up? if it's as simple as having a hidden unit in each broad region, then that is something we can look into...

don't expect a huge amount of regions though if we do - most of the lands are relatively similar with some noted exceptions. The fact of the Israelite people is that as much as they talk about no converts, towns to the sword...they were a small aggressively expanding people and that demands a certain lenience.

Ones i can envision:

Assyria Proper and Egypt - these provinces give good homeland troops, while others will be the less effective/loyal allies.

Coast - Philistines, Greeks, and Sea Peoples get most of their units from these, if not all.

Judea - Home of the Judeans .
Ischenous
Legionary
posted 27 August 2008 02:52 EDT (US)     205 / 253       
You know how the elephant resource means you can recruit elephants if your faction has them, it's just like that except the resource is normaly hidden and specifies a unit instead.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 27 August 2008 11:11 EDT (US)     206 / 253       
Exactly, we just put a hidden resource, "judea" for example, and then use that as a requirement for certain units.

AoR's can be simple, for example in XGM, or they can be quite complex, such as in EB.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kŠn ɹid ­ɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
Boetje
Legionary
posted 27 August 2008 14:18 EDT (US)     207 / 253       
...or FATW, they boast about the most complicated AoR system of all mods, i've never played EB, so i can't judge.

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
Ischenous
Legionary
posted 27 August 2008 16:27 EDT (US)     208 / 253       
Believe me, EB will be very complex. Anyway, you wouldn't want a super complex AoR since there isn't many people working on the mod.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
Anacharsis
Legionary
posted 27 August 2008 18:24 EDT (US)     209 / 253       
I think that EB complexities are totally out of place in this mod. There is no such different cultures, except for religion (that is NOT a system of gorvernment/recuitment). as far as we know, these were all PAlatine-type economies, with minor differences (Eqypt worked more like the traditional concept of "empire"....to a certain degree, Elam was more like a huge tribal confederation, etc.) and pastoralist-bringand groups like the Habiru (some historians indentifies the Judges age Hebrews with these Habiru groups). Perhaps using something similar to the "pastoralist" government of the EB can be appropiate,

AoR also seems innapropiate. The mod is based on relatively small geographical limits, there is no need for AoR as far as i see.

Hebrews before 1000 BC probably were very similaar in technology to other aramean/syrian groups...so i think that they can have access to chariots before the Kings period, althrough shepherd nomads like them probably has litte access to Chariot facilities, and the Bible do not mention them until Solomon

I just discovered reading the Bible that Solomon was half-Hittite. VEry curious.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 27 August 2008 22:39 EDT (US)     210 / 253       
I would be most in favor of a limited AoR system, or an assimilation period ala RTR.

I do think that a wide spreading of hidden resources across broad regions would suffice, particularly for the regions mentioned.

Having not played EB, i know nothing of their complexities.

We won't be able to properly control when the hebrews get chariots, they need only to build the necessary buildings, which are upper-tier. On easier difficulties they will get them quite early, while on harder difficulties it may a while. they are also in a unique position in that, while most nations recruit chariots from their aristocracy (major cities), there is little doubt that chariots were introduced to the hebrews through conquest.

Speaking of conquest, they should only hold Israel and Judah for the entire game, taking other kingdoms past the end of this. It could be argued that if the chariots were the result of conquest, not of internal developments, that we can make chariots unfordable on the budget of United Israel alone - so as other cities are taken, they will have enough money to create a chariot corps. This is relative of course, as on easy things are more affordable than on hardest...but it might be the best we can do.

most of my historical background comes from "self-evident" sources such as the bible, but it has always seemed very clear that not only are the hebrews not aramaen nor syrian in any respect, and that their technology, along with that of other tribes of canaan and arabia, was distinctly inferior before the eleventh century bc.

One of the things that does become staggeringly obvious in accounts of the time period is that, although cultures were not so divided, strong loyalties by tribe were very important. egypt and assyria were notably (and necessarily) adept in pressing foreigners into armed service, but most tribes relied on their home cities to collect wealth and produce men with which to own conquered lands until colonization would catch up.

As for Solomon, read more closely. Although Bathsheba was wed to Uriah the Hittite, she had no children by him. Solomon is the son of Bathsheba by David, both of whom are Israelites. Although it does not say specifically that Bathsheba was a jew, the matrilineal inheritance of the faith demands that if solomon is a jew, then the mother of solomon is also a jew. As for any question that David may not have been the father, solomon could not have been king unless it were so.
Anacharsis
Legionary
posted 27 August 2008 23:41 EDT (US)     211 / 253       
Yeah, you must be rigth. Bathsheba was simply given in marriage to Uriah. I tought that she also was Hittite just for that.

Syro-Canaanite-Aramean technology was in no way inferior. It was one of the first regions to develope widepreaded Iron technology (along with all the Taurus mountains and the zone south to the Urals, and perhaps the Zagros but i dont know for sure). In fact i think that their Chariot technology was superior in the time period than, say, the "low-country" (Babylones, Chaldea, Summer).

At least most wargames gives them a lot of chariots LOL.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 28 August 2008 11:00 EDT (US)     212 / 253       
you can't keep lumping in hebrews and other southern semitic peoples with syrians and aramaeans! lol. they are dramatically different. there is no such thing as "Syro-Canaanite-Aramean" - what technology was in canaan came purely from hittites, egyptians at times, and philistines, and this was what shaped the region's history. they were still fighting with sickel-axes two hundred years after the rest of the world had moved on to proper swords. When they did develop military technologies, it is no doubt from generations of being defeated by them.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 29 August 2008 22:54 EDT (US)     213 / 253       
sorry for the bumpdate, i think it's important :

jobs are looking better for fall and I recieved several unexpected checks/bonuses in the neighborhood of 5,000 total. It's not available yet but we should see a new compy by columbus day (good old bday) .
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 04 September 2008 22:49 EDT (US)     214 / 253       
another bumpdate - it seems that I am able to do some model work without having RTW.

I give you the rough draft of : Benjaminite Slingers (in Independent and Hebrew colors)

Unlike the shepherd boys typical of hebrew missile units, the tribe of Benjamin employs proper soldiers in these roles. They are as good as any with a knife and their armor - flimsy though it appears - is reasonably effective against glancing blows and blunter weapons.

Range - great
Attack - good
Melee - poor
Armor - poor
Cost - moderate
Rank - organized

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 09-04-2008 @ 10:57 PM).]

Andalus
Legionary
posted 05 September 2008 00:31 EDT (US)     215 / 253       
They are very good, SrJames.
It's not available yet but we should see a new compy by columbus day (good old bday)
Yay!
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 05 September 2008 16:42 EDT (US)     216 / 253       
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 05 September 2008 19:52 EDT (US)     217 / 253       
Yes teh skin is very good, im amazed at how talented you are at skinning I couldnt possibly texture that well.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 00:50 EDT (US)     218 / 253       
spend a few years in college and a few years in the field and you'll realize how unprofessional this texture is :P. What i should really do is move the headband portion of the head to a larger part of the map so that the res-change from face to forehead isn't so lol.

Still, i'm pleased for an unpaid deal and thanks for the compliment .

Made a quick update to the first post describing the legal nature of materials used in this mod. It is loose enough that people like Private Clark maintain their rights to the work yet specific enough to allow free access to all. Mostly because i realized that the large number of asymmetrically unwrapped .cas files as well as a proper kerchief (the sweatbands of vanilla lacking a bit of substance imo)

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 09-06-2008 @ 01:13 AM).]

PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 01:28 EDT (US)     219 / 253       
spend a few years in college and a few years in the field and you'll realize how unprofessional this texture is :P. What i should really do is move the headband portion of the head to a larger part of the map so that the res-change from face to forehead isn't so lol.
Still the skin seems vanilla quality as are most skins in the best mods out there, ofcourse you could do better, but then anything can be improved, i don't suppose you want to bring the skin to M2TW level?
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 01:35 EDT (US)     220 / 253       
textures in M2 are actually quite crap compared to Rome, it's the high-powered rendering engine that makes the units look any good. You can still see, on heavily armored units especially, that it's really just filled with texture (no in-texture rendering which makes Rome's units "pop")

M2 also falls back on the "brown filters and bloom!!11!" style of "realism" to create a nice atmosphere, but bland units.

related models, also rough drafts, hebrew shield infantry (similar to warband) and the aforementioned shepherd boys (a cheap and unreliable but still deadly slinger unit, good at hiding, best used to surprise enemy units with salvos when their backs are turned, before retreating.

also, testing out reduction of the .CAS files. Personally I think that vanilla's 4-CAS system is total overkill, but reduction does have its place.

The set of 3 on the left has 400 polys, the figure on the right has 600. Although clearly up-close you would want the figure on the right, we can quite rapidly reduce him to the figure on the left without noticeable difference, saving a third of the memory devoted to polygons. For then he is good until we get to sprite-sizes .

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 09-06-2008 @ 04:39 AM).]

Yitzkshatriya
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 04:45 EDT (US)     221 / 253       
One thing, with the Hebrew units. You should throw Tzitzit on them. As per;
Numbers 15:38: "Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them, that they shall make themselves fringes (Tzitzit) on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and they shall put on the corner fringe a blue thread."
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 06 September 2008 08:32 EDT (US)     222 / 253       
You're very hard on yourself but good modders always aim for perfection.

You may have noticed the new forums for mods. Drop me an email and we'll discuss one for Judea: Total War. I'm not sure if it is still on-hold, etc.

P.S. If you email myself, SubRosa or Hussarknight, we'll fix you up with a gallery here.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Polish Crusader
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 10:04 EDT (US)     223 / 253       
This looks like a mod I'll be looking at.

One thing, have you tried the "command line switch" thing? (I might be getting it wrong) Bascially it allows the mod to be installed without messing with the original game files, thus allowing you to play the vanilla game while also being able to play the mod.

The Rome: Total Realism crew managed to accomplish it; ask them about it.

Though I'm wondering about religion: the Hebrews traditionally only had one Temple (are you going to the period of Kings or not?) I wonder how to do this?

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to this mod!

Polish Crusader
"To h--- with skirms and flushing. A Briton dark age spitfire rush will pwn."- Ornlu
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 10:24 EDT (US)     224 / 253       
Yitzkshatriya - I was wondering about clothing traditions, but I couldn't find anywhere that detailed the dress of early hebrews (i.e. where the corners are :P) or when the tassles came into practice (whether it would be anachronistic). If you have any information on that, it would be greatly appreciated and instantly adhered to . Sources like wikipedia compare early jewish garments to a square of fabric "comparable to the abayah (blanket) worn by the Bedouins for protection from sun and rain, and to the stola/toga of ancient Greece and Rome," which would be a great line to follow if these were not three radically different garments .

Gaius - thanks. About the gallery, I tihnk we can wait until there are more images to display, but it's a good offer .
However, perhaps it would be best to start a sub-forum, if for no other reason than to organize for when we are back in full-swing. As far as that swing goes, I'm considering myself handicapped in not being able to touch code, but we've found that that's not as limiting as it seemed, so for all intents and purposes I would like to announce us back on!

Polish - once we get coding, I have no doubt that we will try to make the game as non-invasive as possible. I don't have the ability to work on code atm, so it's a future thing for me .
It is easy enough to make the main temple of the hebrews only constructible in Jerusalem with hidden resources. Also, as "kings" is a period marked by expansion of the kingdom, we can allow other temples to be built in regions that do NOT have an "Israel" hidden resource (therefor being sufficiently far from Jerusalem that it would make sense to construct them).
Andalus
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 10:30 EDT (US)     225 / 253       
There'll just be one Hebrew temple, I think. We had a short discussion a page or two back.

Edit: SrJames beat me to it. Listen to him instead.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 09-06-2008 @ 10:35 AM).]

SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 13:05 EDT (US)     226 / 253       
Damnit, I should remember next time to ar-ee-ay-di ay be-oh-ok >.<

Turns out my History of Costume Vol 1 - Ancient to Classical has a whole chapter on biblical society.

Looks sometihng like this, if i followed the instructions right :

will get on trying to create a model as the garb of other peoples seems to be somewhat similar.
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 13:34 EDT (US)     227 / 253       
Its not hard to add that piece of cloth that comes from the back of his head like that, are planning on doing it?
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 06 September 2008 13:40 EDT (US)     228 / 253       
yeah that part isn't bad, many units already have it so I could just borrow is i needed to. I would consider it a variation on the headwrap.

the tricky part is getting the sleeves to go into the waist without being a straight line or chopping strangely. That's what i've been working on :P.

least awkward combination that i could come up with. It's not perfect but i think with a good texture it will reflect the garment properly, not chop too much, and deform fairly well assuming the game makes good use of the abs bone in all animations.

Hasty Paint (not a real texture) :

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 09-06-2008 @ 02:25 PM).]

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08 September 2008 15:35 EDT (US)     229 / 253       
Gaius - thanks. About the gallery, I tihnk we can wait until there are more images to display, but it's a good offer .
However, perhaps it would be best to start a sub-forum, if for no other reason than to organize for when we are back in full-swing. As far as that swing goes, I'm considering myself handicapped in not being able to touch code, but we've found that that's not as limiting as it seemed, so for all intents and purposes I would like to announce us back on!
With 200+ posts already, I think activity won't be a problem. Want me to move this thread there?

It will get very messy trying to coordinate folks with one thread so you need a forum to organise your team.

P.S. You should still consider having a gallery even at this stage. It'll serve to show how your work is progressing. Even the faction symbols are good enough to show.

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08 September 2008 15:36 EDT (US)     230 / 253       
I need a short blurb to describe the forum on the forum listing. Make some sticky threads and we'll stick them for you.

-Love Gaius

Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 09 September 2008 09:50 EDT (US)     231 / 253       
Congrats on the sub-forum JamesTyrrel.

The way this is shaping up I might need to blow the dust off of my copy of Rome

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 09 September 2008 13:11 EDT (US)     232 / 253       
Make some sticky threads and we'll stick them for you.
Yes, Gaius and Zen stole plenty of duct tape when they pilfered those hard drives...
Wolfpanzee
Legionary
posted 09 September 2008 14:36 EDT (US)     233 / 253       
Looks awesome. Can't wait to play it.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his-George Patton
You can get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone-Al Capone
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo-H.G. Wells
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity-Karl Marx
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11 September 2008 12:07 EDT (US)     234 / 253       
I need a short blurb to describe the forum on the forum listing.

-Love Gaius

SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 11 September 2008 13:06 EDT (US)     235 / 253       
A full-conversion for RTW, Judea: TW is set in the Holy Land and tracks the history of the region from 1200-900 BC. Development, Demos, Discourse...here!
saint694
Legionary
posted 13 September 2008 08:44 EDT (US)     236 / 253       
like the idea and i was checking to see if hewbrews had chariots and theres rumors say they do as they found chariot wheels in the red sea
Cordyceps
Naphal
(id: ArchDruid)
posted 13 September 2008 11:54 EDT (US)     237 / 253       
Might I suggest the Phoenicians as a faction? They were prominent in the region from 1200-800 BC, but there are records of their presence well prior to that.

You could also have the Persians as a small, relatively passive faction, as they too were certainly in the region though not yet risen to prominence. The Medes could be another similar faction farther to the north - not major players in the region at the time but certainly present. Something like the Numidians or Scythians were in RTW - present but rarely a threat to the more significant powers.

Just as some bodies, from the moment of birth, are endowed with beauty, while on others nature from their very beginning bestows blemishes and wrinkles, so with souls too, some are distinguished at once with extreme grace and attractiveness, while others leave a trail of sombre and deep gloom. ~Michael Psellus, Chronographia
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 13 September 2008 12:06 EDT (US)     238 / 253       
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 28 September 2008 14:53 EDT (US)     239 / 253       
I think I've figured out how to add a customised logo for this forum. If you'd like to give me something, I'll try and stick it up!

-Love Gaius

ProvostGuard
Legionary
posted 03 October 2008 17:13 EDT (US)     240 / 253       
Greetings.

I'm interested in helping. I used to be a modder and texture artist in the Age of Empires III modding community but gave up due to the game's limitations. I have never modded RTW before but can probably learn.

I also love Biblical history, so I might be of some help there...

If your interested in having me on the team, just ask. Thanks.

God bless.
Anacharsis
Legionary
posted 06 October 2008 16:02 EDT (US)     241 / 253       
Ok, my bad, linking Amorreans with Arameans was an animality lol.

I agree with the Phoenicians as a Faction. They were pretty important in the local politics narrated in the Bible.

Medes and Persians should be the same faction, named
"Ayranians" or something like that
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 07 October 2008 12:13 EDT (US)     242 / 253       
Although both the medes and the persians originate in this time period, they were a disorganized people without enough to be considered a faction. Even Gaul had a "high king" of sorts if it was only in name. Since this mod focuses on Judea, and the "brigands" system is so classy, i think it makes the most sense, "incorrect" as it may sound, to limit the iranian presense to very tough rebels (well, not tough in their infantry, but that they have horse archers and other fast missile units).
Andalus
Legionary
posted 09 October 2008 09:11 EDT (US)     243 / 253       
Are you talking XGM-style gold/silver chevron rebels here?
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 09 October 2008 10:26 EDT (US)     244 / 253       
perhaps, but they will also ave horse archers in the early game (and the best horse archers and perhaps the only real cavalry in the later game). Horse archers are a powerful unit because even though they lack the charge power of the chariot, they are much faster and are able to outmaneuver and shoot down chariot riders easily. Armies made of very expensive chariot elite and piss infantry will find themselves very much at risk when these raiders appear.

unfortunately, i don't think there is a proper raid mindset that you can give these guys. That is, to ride out, shoot a quiver, and retreat to the hills. This would be the most effective use of them to be certain.

Gaius - I jut saw your post. Do you mean a simple 16x16 gif?

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 10-09-2008 @ 10:28 AM).]

Pizzadude
Legionary
posted 26 October 2008 11:19 EDT (US)     245 / 253       
Gaius, do you mean one of those banner like thingies that show up in the top left corner of the forums below the ads?
If so, I've made one. it's 300 x 150 pixels. Hope you like it.

British AAR/HSR On hold, last update was on 11/06/08 or 06/11/08 for you Americans.

[This message has been edited by Pizzadude (edited 10-26-2008 @ 11:23 AM).]

PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 26 October 2008 13:54 EDT (US)     246 / 253       
MisplacedPope
Legionary
(id: misplacedgeneral)
posted 26 October 2008 14:02 EDT (US)     247 / 253       
Horse archers are a powerful unit
Except the principal weapon of Persian cavalry (Even to the time of Cyrus the Younger) were javelins. It was not until the Parthians came to dominate the region that the bow became all important, if I remember correctly. Most horse archers before-hand being nomadic tribesmen from the north.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
Pizzadude
Legionary
posted 26 October 2008 16:30 EDT (US)     248 / 253       
Also looks very nice PrivateClark.
And the dimensions were somewhere between 300x100 and 300x150 as Gaius stated in some sticky in the Mod forum I believe.

British AAR/HSR On hold, last update was on 11/06/08 or 06/11/08 for you Americans.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 27 October 2008 06:12 EDT (US)     249 / 253       
Except the principal weapon of Persian cavalry (Even to the time of Cyrus the Younger) were javelins. It was not until the Parthians came to dominate the region that the bow became all important, if I remember correctly. Most horse archers before-hand being nomadic tribesmen from the north.
I believe this was still true even in the time of Alexander.

Javelin cavalry are still powerful units, though. Admittedly, perhaps not so much in the hands of AI-controlled rebels.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 27 October 2008 22:14 EDT (US)     250 / 253       
Forgive me, I reverted back to speaking of Iranian tribesmen after saying those other nations should probably be left out.

If javelins were a part of rebel armies prior to the persians (and we are quite prior :P) than we may as well follow that advice! (in addition to the northern archers which are responsible for introducing cavalry and horse archery into the assyrian empire where it most certainly flourished)
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 28 October 2008 18:06 EDT (US)     251 / 253       
Nice efforts Pizzadude and PrivateClark. Let me see if I can add one of them without deleting the entire of TWH!

SrJames
Which one do you want to use?

-Love Gaius

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 28 October 2008 18:18 EDT (US)     252 / 253       
I've tested and they both work fine.

-Love Gaius

Anacharsis
Legionary
posted 29 October 2008 08:27 EDT (US)     253 / 253       
I┤ve made some reasearch and i found the problem with the iranians. They are clearly part of the Elamite confederation by the time of the Middle Assyrian kingdom. The problem with Elam is that their language has not been decyphered yet. They were a VERY important nation since at least 2500 BC, but as we do not have their sources usable (there is a lot of sources but we do not know what they say). They always were a tribal confederation until the coming of the mede kins.

Today the teories of the "migrations" are not in good health in academies. Most history-specialized texts after 1980 speaks of the Iranians as a local development, and not as an invasions over an "Elamite Substract"

Why not simply given the Elamites some cavalry units named "iranian" recruitable only in their plains?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames