You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Judea - Total war

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.38 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Judea - Total war » Staff - Tasks!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Staff - Tasks!
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 13 September 2008 11:27 EDT (US)         
As stated before, this is completely voluntary and we will not demand anything of anyone except courtesy. An ongoing list of members and their tasks will be detailed here, along with "up for grabs" tasks which you may take by signing in reply. note that this starts today 9/13 so the fact that it says no completed tasks does not mean i've forgotten your contributions, merely that under this current system your slate is new and blank.

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Staff :

SrJamesTyrrel
Desired : Design and Visual
Active Tasks : Organization of Subforum
Completed Tasks : None

Ischenous
Desired : Traits
Active Tasks : None

Private Clark
Desired : Visual
Active Tasks : 3d - Heads and Helmets (9/13)
Create a series of new heads and helmets from the vanilla base to represent the diverse styles. References available on request, suggestions always open. Necessities include :
http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/images/muwattalis.jpg- hittite ruler hat and beard
http://strategicsimulations.net/catalog/images/SSHAT8121.jpg- assyrian conical helm with locks, beard, and optional plume
http://bp3.blogger.com/_wJxYbUXVygI/Rte2FHCmjuI/AAAAAAAAAo0/jLdYnei5Tj4/s400/LO TR+Lord+Elrond.jpg - long, receding, unhelmed hair for hittites and canaanites. Long, youthful hair will be represented by the screeching women's head reskinned.

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Tasks (aimed at current talent) "up for grabs" :

3d - nude warrior base
Create a model with proper legs, waist, and (nondescript/lowpoly) privates (a small bulge will do, as we'll want some to be textured to have a small wrap, while others can be obscured).

3d - small houses for small people
Alter existing desert house/appartment models so that they are smaller (25%) and denser (2-4 actual buildings per file, mix and match, rotate, elevate, have fun ).
Optional 2d Sidequest - refit textures to new size

Traits - Heredity
Research and find whether traits can be made to decrease fertility and increase adoption to represent offices that are not familial.

Traits - Cultural
Research and find whether traits can be made by blood to give bonuses for or against other cultures.

Traits - New Virtues
Create any number of traits which are nice.

Traits - New Vices!
Create any number of traits which are nasty.

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 09-13-2008 @ 12:18 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 13 September 2008 12:10 EDT (US)     1 / 38       
Il do the helmets soon, though it might not be for awhile because i just got the original MTW
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 13 September 2008 12:16 EDT (US)     2 / 38       
Oh, that might be a while then .

Noted though, thanks!
Ischenous
Legionary
posted 13 September 2008 15:44 EDT (US)     3 / 38       
Traits - Heredity
Research and find whether traits can be made to decrease fertility and increase adoption to represent offices that are not familial.

Traits - Cultural
Research and find whether traits can be made by blood to give bonuses for or against other cultures.
1. Fetility can be increased or decreased by traits. I don't know about adoption rate, I think not.
2. I think I get you, do you mean like the turn coat retinues?
If so yes.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 13 September 2008 16:50 EDT (US)     4 / 38       
3d - nude warrior base
Create a model with proper legs, waist, and (nondescript/lowpoly) privates (a small bulge will do, as we'll want some to be textured to have a small wrap, while others can be obscured).
Is this going to be like EB, because that just got too realistic for my liking, before you know it your going to have to put an M label onto your mod instead of a T.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 13 September 2008 17:20 EDT (US)     5 / 38       
well like i said we can have some sort of http://derekosborn.accountsupport.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/plie.jpgtype but i just find the whole thing amusing. these are specifically for some anatolian and egyptian guys (the semitics seemed to have some sort of aversion to this sort of thing). In addition, you don't need to be the one to do it .

I didn't know EB put in totally nude units?
Ischenous
Legionary
posted 13 September 2008 17:22 EDT (US)     6 / 38       
Yes, you can have covered up too.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
Leo IV
Legionary
(id: leonadas_IV)
posted 14 September 2008 00:50 EDT (US)     7 / 38       
If you need help ill try to look up cultural traits for you in my spare time.

LEO IV
Pugna Concusio ~ Fight the Oppression
Army Commander
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 14 September 2008 03:28 EDT (US)     8 / 38       
Take a look at XGM 5.8, it has many cultural traits you can use for inspiration (plus an open borrowing policy.)

Edit: link

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kŠn ɹid ­ɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.

[This message has been edited by CaesarVincens (edited 09-14-2008 @ 03:34 AM).]

SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 14 September 2008 11:57 EDT (US)     9 / 38       
Thanks everyone,

One other important thing is i don't think anyone has looked at the main work thread. There's not much to do with you guys (yet) as it's primarily unit-oriented (private, you'll be able to help a lot with .CAS files etc once i get the files in order - but until then i've got no real work for you ).

Also because nobody else is really speaking to the actual unit lists etc, I've been acting rather unilaterally, but as always this is all subject to group input.
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 27 September 2008 13:02 EDT (US)     10 / 38       
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 27 September 2008 13:38 EDT (US)     11 / 38       
whatever looks best and works the fastest, and feel free to change things up (obviously you wouldn't modify a hillman's hedwrap to create an assyrian helmet when there are existing models much closer to what you need). Vanilla heads are all very similar in construction though so i wouldn't worry. A lot of the mapping will need to change to make room for certain units (plan on having plenty of asymmetrical guys, as you may have noticed) so literally anything is fair game.
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 27 September 2008 15:36 EDT (US)     12 / 38       
Il make it on the peasent, we can then just swap heads around for the units that will actualy use the stuff.
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 28 September 2008 14:54 EDT (US)     13 / 38       
Heres that one guy with the head thing and the beard. My textures are crap so feel free to retexture them later if you like.

SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 28 September 2008 15:59 EDT (US)     14 / 38       
hmm, i should perhaps have mentioned that it's really best to keep everything solid rather than with floating planes, that's my bad.

also, does he have short hair in back? i seem to remember them having it sorta curly-puffy but i could be wrong.

edit: yeah the whole beard and hair is a significant sculptural element. this is one of the big reasons we need to make new models, because vanilla makes everything too flat and volume-less.

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 09-28-2008 @ 04:02 PM).]

PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 28 September 2008 21:39 EDT (US)     15 / 38       
...ok, well a solid beard would be incredibly hard to make seeing as you want something resembling individual strands of hair and not something brown and blocky, in your instruction thing you asked for the hat and beard so i assumed that you didnt care about his hair on the back of his head.

EDIT: Not to mention that having actual good looking 3d hair will bring the poly count WAY up. Floating plane hair seems to be the only doable possibility. You could add more planes to make the hair have some extra stuff (like add a plane above for a mustache and have some other tiny planes randomly sticking out to simbolize little tufts of hair poking out, furthermore, that would take up ALOT of texture space so...

[This message has been edited by PrivateClark (edited 09-28-2008 @ 09:41 PM).]

SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 29 September 2008 01:08 EDT (US)     16 / 38       
well, if you don't want to do it just say so. As for the hair in back, the description says heads, and even if it didn't there's no point making something that doesn't follow the reference, which is the same reason that the floating planes is a problem - they have no volume.

as far as whether solid hair can be done, or whether it adds polys, this was a mockup i did a while ago that doesn't ad a single vertex (because i didn't know how at the time):

and while the texture obviously needs slight repainting (it's the unaltered spartan face so the ears and beard-line need to move a little) and he could benefit from a few more loops to smooth him out, the fact is that he is actually more memory-optimized than youe guy, is a lot closer to the reference, and does not ask for new space on the .dds.

Working for a mod, even as a volunteer, requires three things above all others. The first is good will and spirit, which you obviously have, but the second determination and the third is a sense of adventure. to give up without trying won't produce much of anything, you've got to grab at the most reckless hope, like subrosa looking at a game with few, ugly women models and deciding to make three female factions, or the rtr guys deciding to take a game based almost exclusively in hollywood history and legitimize it from the ground up. In short, it's great to question and experiment, but it's downright wrong to ignore advice without attempting and what it produces is unusable material.

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 09-29-2008 @ 01:12 AM).]

PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 29 September 2008 21:23 EDT (US)     17 / 38       
Actualy i thought you wanted to make a whole new object of nice curly hair that could then be positioned onto a guy, that would have been hard, as well, i am reluctant with editing the body mes too much for fear of having to reassign many of the bones. Im sorry if i seem a bit of a downer but i also feel you assume alot with your accusation: i am willing to give stuff a try but trying to make a beard that is what i thought you meant would be a complete waste of time as well as be completly inefective because of the lag. Again, i thought you wanted something more detailed, a nice curly 3d beard like in the image and not some pulled vertices.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 29 September 2008 23:27 EDT (US)     18 / 38       
I made no accusations, I merely stated the obvious - you have not tried what you say will fail. In addition, this fact that you seem to be calling an accusation you continue to live up to by still denying before trying.

The heads use a single bone, there is nothing to reassign and that is why we can keep the heads separated.

Your head adds dozens of vertices that are not needed with the torus shapes while the beard is completely flat and not at all realistic. This sinks you lag argument and detail argument like a pair of large stones. Furthermore, it is not in the style of the vanilla models, which will lead to consistency issues later on.

I did not intend for this to be so confrontational, but you're forcing my hand here by arguing rather than giving things a shot. I'm going to speak quite plainly : neither the hat nor beard that you've created here are usable for the above reasons. You have heard my advice on the matter.
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 30 September 2008 02:06 EDT (US)     19 / 38       
Erm...as I mentioned before, I missunderstood what you meant by the actual 3d hair. Again, I thought you wanted a whole seperate beard that was very curly and high poly. I explained in my post right before that I had not understood what you wanted as a beard. There's really no need to get so workedup. Also,it may be strange but I've actual screwed up bone assignments unintentionally by messing with vertices which is why I am always semi-reluctant to try, it's probable that it was a different cause altogether however I'm not sure so understand why I said that. This is also getting annoying typing on my Iphone so excuse me if I don't respond for awhile.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 30 September 2008 10:16 EDT (US)     20 / 38       
For the future, I've added several things to the conventions thread, to avoid this sort of misunderstanding.

A rule of thumb if I haven't made it clear is to never add an object where you can avoid it, because this creates seams that are hard to paint over and the new object demands room on the texture. It is always better to cut and pull an existing section than to create a new one. Also, if you are not a professional modeler, chances are you know much less about proper edge flow and looping than the creators do, so it's much better to work off of their material.

Lastly, make sure you read each prompt in its entirety. The very first line was "create a new series of heads and helmets" - this is the task and does not stop at the face. How a reference is labeled will never change the task.

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 09-30-2008 @ 10:58 AM).]

PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 30 September 2008 19:51 EDT (US)     21 / 38       
Also, if you are not a professional modeler, chances are you know much less about proper edge flow and looping than the creators do, so it's much better to work off of their material.
Quite right, which explains why i try to be cautious with models, id prefer adding an object where i have less chances of messing up the original model then just messing up the add-on.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 30 September 2008 21:42 EDT (US)     22 / 38       
..and my whole point is that you can never be cautious if you want to accomplish anything. If you're working non-destructively (as in, saving multiple states) the worst that can happen is that you lose a very small amount of work which probably taught you something anyway .
Andalus
Legionary
posted 16 October 2008 08:30 EDT (US)     23 / 38       
On the beard point, I just noticed Bull Warriors have a fairly large beard.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 16 October 2008 13:22 EDT (US)     24 / 38       
Andalus - distant screenshots back that up, and if it's good up close that will be quite the clever find. Will check that out this evening if i remember .

Now that I know how to add vertices though I may just make an incision along the jaw and lower cranium and play, as we'll like to have a number of berds before the day is out and as many of them to be directly textured on the face (looks like the bull warriors may use that extra bit on the side as per barb officers). Many characters will need to be asymmetrical, which means space on our textures will be a lot tighter than vanilla!

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 10-16-2008 @ 01:32 PM).]

Andalus
Legionary
posted 16 October 2008 14:58 EDT (US)     25 / 38       
Allow me.

ProvostGuard
Legionary
posted 17 October 2008 13:31 EDT (US)     26 / 38       
My first attempt at a Lycian soldier:

Still needs a lot of work. It's based on the Phrygian (Greek Pikemen in RTW) model.
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 18 October 2008 14:54 EDT (US)     27 / 38       
http://strategicsimulations.net/catalog/images/SSHAT8121.jpg-assyrian conical helm with locks, beard, and optional plume
I'm working on this ATM, il post a screen of what ive done so far in a sec.

EDIT:

[img=http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/702/69290362uo0.th.jpg][/img][img=http://img374.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif][/img]

I modeled the helmet, thats completely done i haven't done the facial hair yet and im not done with the hair in the back. Hope this is 3d enough for you.

[This message has been edited by PrivateClark (edited 10-18-2008 @ 03:03 PM).]

SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 19 October 2008 09:55 EDT (US)     28 / 38       
Provost : Looking good so far! . Can't wait to see where the final leads.

Private : Also looking good! And yes, it's much cleaner and in keeping with the style of RTW. Although it's hard to tell from this angle the hair is looking good I believe and we'll get the texture sorted easily enough which will make things flow nicely.

In the meantime, would you mind forwarding the current helmet model to my email? I'd like to knock together a better model for Provost to use and I think the one you have there pre-bearding will do nicely with only minor adjustments to be anatolian.

Don't worry Prov, it won't effect your texture work. I'll make sure it's laid out identically.
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 19 October 2008 19:28 EDT (US)     29 / 38       
sure, I can't tonight because I'm busy but il send you it tommorrow. I ended up adding some more verifes to the back hair and also to the beard although I only pulled those out a tiny bit because the guy in the picture doesn't have that big of a beard.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 20 October 2008 00:09 EDT (US)     30 / 38       
Sounds good. There is a style of the assyrians which had a much longer plaited beard and hair, but this was reserved for men of a higher class and we'll get to that later. Some spit and polish on this and we'll be golden, good work
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 20 October 2008 20:25 EDT (US)     31 / 38       
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 23 October 2008 19:34 EDT (US)     32 / 38       
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 23 October 2008 20:26 EDT (US)     33 / 38       
Sorry didn't see that.

donteatbadgers@yahoo.com .
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 25 October 2008 13:56 EDT (US)     34 / 38       
Traits - New Vices!
Create any number of traits which are nasty.
I don't know if you want these to be very historically accurate and in that case mine are probably wrong but here are some i just thought up:

-Secret Monogamy: In public he is seen with several women however secretly he beds only one woman. -1 influence.

-Open Monogamy: This man practices monogamy unbefitting of his high stature. -2 influence

-Ardent Monogamy: This man only has one wife which is unbeffitting of his stature, furthermore, he tries to impose his beliefs on those below him -3influence -10% Public Order

(For eastern generals, they usually have more than one wife no?)
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 25 October 2008 17:57 EDT (US)     35 / 38       
Depends on the culture, many kings, of course, would have many "wives", even among the Jews, but otherwise I don't think polygamy was that common.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kŠn ɹid ­ɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 26 October 2008 13:02 EDT (US)     36 / 38       
Im guessing hes a high status family member so maybe the public expects him to have several women...
Andalus
Legionary
posted 27 October 2008 06:06 EDT (US)     37 / 38       
I doubt they'd think any less of him for just having one, though...
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 27 October 2008 14:52 EDT (US)     38 / 38       
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames