You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.28 replies, Sticky
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Announcement: TWH Review Team applications
Bottom
Topic Subject:Announcement: TWH Review Team applications
Scotty the Fallen
Legionary
posted 14 October 2007 18:16 EDT (US)         
Introduction

With the growing base of M2TW, and the need for a review team, I've taken the liberty of posting this.

Signing up

In order to become a member of the review team, you must be willing to provide an application email, (Sent to one of the seraphs) and some pretty basic contact information.

1. Post in this thread
2. Post your Forum name, and your downloads name. (Only applies to people with name changes)
3. Your email address
4. The files you are interested in reviewing. (Modpacks, Tools, Maps, Replays)

Rules, Regulations, and Guidelines

As a reviewer, you will be expected to:

• Follow the Code of Conduct, and the Reviewing Guide (being updated)
  • Be active. Any Review Team member who has not shown activity within 14 days of their last review will be removed from the team without warning.
  • However, the above does not apply if:
    -There are no new files in the section which you are willing to review.
    -You have stated an extended absence to either me or any other staff here at TWH.
  • Review with as little bias as possible
  • Review as many times as you can
  • Be polite, and use appropriate Spelling and Grammar.

The downloads administrators reserve the right to remove any reviews deemed insufficient or inappropriate. Repeated cases will result in you being removed from the review team, and subject to Moderator discipline.

If you wish to resign for whatever the reason, either email one of the seraphs, or post in this thread.

Reviewing: Custom Maps

When reviewing Custom maps, rate them in regards to the following:

-Playability
    -Design
    -Balance
    -Creativity

When playing a custom map, you must look at it as a whole. Sure, the map may look great, but if the guy on the left side of the map has a huge hill in front of him, that map might score pretty low in the balance department. If the map is based on a historical battle site, (IE: Crecy) take into account how well they took that into account regarding actual balance and design. If the sacking of Jerusalem takes place in the black forest, that's not really historical, is it?

There really is no specific criteria on how a score is given in Playability but there are quite a few things that can effect playability in a negative manner. Trigger bugs, victory condition bugs and any other playability-destroying bugs obviously can ruin a maps's playability. If a player is ever confused about the next goal to accomplish, that's a playability problem. If a player can complete an objective in a way that the author obviously did not intend to be possible, that's a playability problem. Anything that adversely affects your enjoyment of a scenario can be deducted from the Playability score.

Be sure to review maps with factions you enjoy playing as. If you despise playing as or against a certain faction, it would be better to avoid reviewing that one yourself, to prevent any bias from getting in the way.

Overall design and creativity are quite simple: If the map was just grassy flatlands with some trees added, that's not much for either. If the map was created from scratch, well, that may do some good for the design.

Remember, don't ever be afraid to post poor reviews. Just remember to provide clear, detailed reasons why you did. And be honest!

Reviewing: Replays

Review replays on the following:

-Deployment
    -Tactics employed
    -Viewability

Replays that are often short lived, (IE: Cav Rushes) or ones that bog down into wars of attrition with both sides doing little to nothing will score low in the watchability department. The actual skill and deployment employed by both sides should be taken into account, but should not be greatly integral to the review.

Reviewing: Modpacks/Utility tools

Modpacks and Tools will be rated of the following:

-Functionality
    -Instructions
    -Originality (Modpacks only)

Ask yourself: Does this actually work? If not, then don't review it. Send an email to the author, letting them know in advance, possibly to correct the problem before you submit your review. Coming to instructions, are they coherent, comprehensible, and clear? No instructions at all is rare, but can be seen in novice modders eager to submit their work. Don't be too harsh. Once again, send an email.

For modpacks: While some can be just basic Cookie-Cutter Mods as in "All Factions unlocked" or "Start with XXX" instead of normal, some can be quite original, providing new unit skins, maps, or even factions/campaigns. Dont just give low reviews on the grounds of "I've seen this done before", but actually look into what was done.

Reporting Bad Reviews:

If you feel that any file you have submitted has been reviewed unfairly or inappropriately, email the Downloads Moderators. What will be deemed unfair or inappropriate will be under discretion, so don't spam the inboxes just because you got a 4 and wanted a 5.

bad reviews may contain any or all of the following:

• Little or no reason behind the rating
  • Personal attacks, insults, or swearing
  • Violation of the CoC or Review Guidelines

And in conclusion...

This is an effort to encourage the forumers to get out there and help the community. Don't be shy! I hope many of you will apply!

*Anyone wishing to submit pointers or corrections to the review guidelines may post them in this thread. However, do not protest openly if your pointers are not taken, email a Download Administrator instead.

-Updated by Terikel

Scotty the Fallen | One-time Angel Reincarnate, and Former BFME2H and TWH Downloads administrator, and BFME2 Strategy Administrator.
    "And I shall go softly into the night, taking my dreams, as will you." - EoJ
    "Scotty's probably the only forumer here who can make every post a defiant claim of his own superiority." - Atzy

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 01-27-2011 @ 04:47 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Primo
    Legionary
    (id: Marcus Orentius)
    posted 16 October 2007 03:07 EDT (US)     1 / 28       
    I'll apply.

Forum Name: Primo
    Downloads Name: Marcus Orentius
    Email: marcus@frontier27.com
    Files to review: Modpacks, maps and replays.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
    "There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
    "Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
    Trottski
    Legionary
    posted 26 October 2007 12:25 EDT (US)     2 / 28       
    Me to I'll apply

Forum Name: Trottski
    Downloads Name: Trottski
    Email: harrison.trott@yahoo.co.uk
    Files to review: Replays, Modpacks/Utility Tools/Custom Maps

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE
    Better yet. Syria is creating a chemical weapon who's only known antidote is foreskin-Mebert
    Real men do stuff to each other...Share needles, tickle scrotums, and take photos-Jax
    Peace & Chicken Grease
    Trottski
    Imperator F
    Legionary
    posted 27 November 2007 11:52 EDT (US)     3 / 28       
    I'll apply aswell.

[This message has been edited by Imperator F (edited 03-30-2017 @ 02:46 PM).]

Scipii
    TWH Seraph
    posted 17 February 2008 07:43 EDT (US)     4 / 28       
    Incase your still in need of reviewers, and willing to try and cover any gaps in the areas that need to be reviewed if I can get the hang of this reviewing lark.

Forum Name: Scipii
    Online Name: The Scipii
    E-Mail #1: Malkael(at)Hotmail(dot)Com
    E-Mail #2: Legati_Scipii(at)Yahoo(dot)Com(dot)Au
    Files: Custom Maps and Mods, can review anything needed to be reviewed though.

Should be available to do reviews at least on the weekends but may have to prolong some reviews when senior school piles up the homework and there is no time to finish the review, which hopefully shall be kept to a minimium. Would advise giving myself a review to do before hand though just to see if my spelling and grammar are upto the standard, and prepare for English (UK) with an Australian slant on it if I'm selected.

Regards,
    Scipii
    Dradyn
    Legionary
    posted 24 February 2008 18:35 EDT (US)     5 / 28       
    Forum Name: Dradyn
    Email Address: ajfoste@nsa.gov
    Files Interested in:
    Anything to do with Total War. I have played the games since 2001 when they first arrived. I was asked by a few HG members to go ahead and register and post in this specific thread--here you go.

Downside - I cannot review any mods. I play Total War through Steam, which doesn't allow modifications. (Or at least not to my knowledge.)

Thanks.
    el_bandito
    Legionary
    posted 12 May 2008 23:32 EDT (US)     6 / 28       
    Forum Name: el_bandito
    E-mail: javadagreat@yahoo.com
    Interested Files: Battle Videos!

I usually have an hour or 2 each evening(+8 GMT), so I can review 2-3 replay files. Might make a few grammar mistakes though.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 05-12-2008 @ 11:39 PM).]

Son_of_Ra_62
    Legionary
    posted 13 May 2008 10:14 EDT (US)     7 / 28       
    Forum Name: Son_of_Ra_62
    Email: sonofra62@yahoo.com
    Files to review: Maps and replays.

Vini, Vidi, Vici-Julias Caesar

Slavery is Freedom
    War is Peace
    Ignorance is Strength
    Quantity and Quality are the same.
    Primo
    Legionary
    posted 10 June 2008 14:55 EDT (US)     8 / 28       
    Do I submit the reviews to staff or post them in the comments section of the file? I'm a little confused here.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
    "There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
    "Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
    Gaius Colinius
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 10 June 2008 18:07 EDT (US)     9 / 28       
    Check out your spanking new forum for details.
    Basically you post your reviews in the downloads section pretty much like you've been doing all along.

Son_of_Ra_62
    Are you still keen to sign up?

How about you Scipii?

-Love Gaius
    TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
    Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
    Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

[This message has been edited by Gaius Colinius (edited 06-10-2008 @ 06:09 PM).]

PrivateClark
    Legionary
    posted 10 June 2008 21:39 EDT (US)     10 / 28       
    I'd be interested:

Forum Name: PrivateClark
    Email: dinner4me333@hotmail.com
    Files to review: Modpacks & Save Games

Just wondering, how do you change your Download name or your forum name? i thought they were the same...

[This message has been edited by PrivateClark (edited 06-12-2008 @ 10:12 PM).]

Primo
    Legionary
    posted 11 June 2008 05:42 EDT (US)     11 / 28       
    If you had a name change during your time on HG, your Downloads name is your original name, the one you signed up with.

PrivateClark
    Legionary
    posted 12 June 2008 22:12 EDT (US)     12 / 28       
    I'd be interested:

Forum Name: PrivateClark
    Email: dinner4me333@hotmail.com
    Files to review: Modpacks & Save Games
    Sooo, can i join? I'l do save games as well.
    Gaius Colinius
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 13 June 2008 05:47 EDT (US)     13 / 28       
    Sounds good PrivateClark. I'm getting you sorted out as we speak. Before you jump into reviewing files, hang on till you get an email from me as I need to add you on the FTP server.

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
    Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

osap
    Legionary
    posted 08 August 2008 03:51 EDT (US)     14 / 28       
    If there's still time i wouldn't mind signing up.

Forum Name: osap
    Download Name: osap
    Email: chimpsdontlikebananas@hotmail.com
    Will Review: Modpacks, custom maps, replays & campaigns.

[This message has been edited by osap (edited 08-20-2008 @ 05:55 AM).]

Gaius Colinius
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 13 August 2008 18:56 EDT (US)     15 / 28       
    There is still time. What game would you be reviewing for?

-Love Gaius

osap
    Legionary
    posted 14 August 2008 06:29 EDT (US)     16 / 28       
    M2TW and possibly RTW as i've recently been paying more attention to the modding that's been going on for that...
    Gaius Colinius
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 19 August 2008 15:34 EDT (US)     17 / 28       
    Just back from a few days away so sorry for not responding quicker. Check your email osap.

-Love Gaius

Monkcrazy5
    Legionary
    posted 20 August 2008 17:41 EDT (US)     18 / 28       
    Forum Name: Monkcrazy5
    Dl name: monkcrazy5
    Game reviewing: RTW, also mods for rtw, and bi.
    Items reviewing: Mods, replays, and new units.
    Email: Monkcrazy5(at)verizon(dot)net

I review things at SHH frequently and I know the qualites of a good review.

Monkcrazy5

Creator of the maps"of fire and of water"

Livers are icky, he can keep it. I take my heads like any good barbarian-Subrosa
    For the love of...leave my liver out of your sig!-Impspy

[This message has been edited by Monkcrazy5 (edited 08-20-2008 @ 06:24 PM).]

szczecin
    Legionary
    posted 20 August 2008 18:11 EDT (US)     19 / 28       
    Forum Name: szczecin
    email: last_szczecin@yahoo.com
    Files interested in reviewing:

Mods, maps, saves for RTW

I can't do M2TW stuff since I no longer have it installed on my computer. Can I still join for the RTW stuff?
    Gaius Colinius
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 20 August 2008 18:49 EDT (US)     20 / 28       
    Check your emails guys

-Love Gaius

Monkcrazy5
    Legionary
    posted 14 September 2008 14:17 EDT (US)     21 / 28       
    Unfortuneatly I just got a new comp and it's vista...and i'm having problems installing rtw. I'll have it installed probably by tuesday.

Monkcrazy5

Creator of the maps"of fire and of water"

Livers are icky, he can keep it. I take my heads like any good barbarian-Subrosa
    For the love of...leave my liver out of your sig!-Impspy
    holeymad
    Legionary
    posted 10 February 2009 18:22 EDT (US)     22 / 28       
    Forum Name: holeymad
    E-mail: holeymad@yahoo.com.au
    Interested Files: Battle Videos
    and everything for RTW!
    good luck to everybody else

all anarchsit groups in the world are oppossed to all sense of organisation and government...
    and yet they all have leaders - holeymad

[This message has been edited by holeymad (edited 02-10-2009 @ 06:24 PM).]

Flavius_Julius16
    Legionary
    posted 01 May 2009 13:21 EDT (US)     23 / 28       
    How old do you need to be to apply? I'm 16
    Hussarknight
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 01 May 2009 13:29 EDT (US)     24 / 28       
    There is no age restriction, beside you have to be at least 13 years of age to join the forums.

Hussarknight
    Awesome Eagle
    Spear of Mars
    (id: awesomated88)
    posted 15 May 2009 02:11 EDT (US)     25 / 28       
    Hello

Good luck to new Reveiwers

Thankyou for your time

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
    History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
    Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by awesomated88 (edited 05-15-2009 @ 02:13 AM).]

MickyTP
    Legionary
    posted 10 June 2009 05:57 EDT (US)     26 / 28       
    Well I might as well put myself up for this.
    Forum Name:                  MickyTP
    Downloads Name: MickyTP
    Email: mickytp@live.co.uk
    Why I Want to Apply: Well, being someone who is
    thoroughly interested in History,
    I can point out historical
    accuracy in mods, battles, etc.
    Files to Review: Modpacks, Savegames, Battles.
    Also, I used to be a "reviewer" on this nmaps thing a while ago. But that was before I made a crack joke about Beans, which is when they kicked me out. So yeah...

||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by MickyTP (edited 06-10-2009 @ 05:57 AM).]

caiofernandos
    Legionary
    posted 09 December 2011 00:19 EDT (US)     27 / 28       
    Forum Name: caiofernandos
    Downloads Name: caiofernandos
    Email address: caio.fernandos@hotmail.com
    Interested Files: Maps and Campaigns
    I would like to join Heaven Games first, because I love history, especially Medieval Age, and second, I find it really interesting to experience others creations and to revise them.

[This message has been edited by caiofernandos (edited 12-09-2011 @ 00:23 AM).]

JeuJeu
    Legionary
    posted 02 February 2013 04:00 EDT (US)     28 / 28       
    I'd like to join as well.

Forum name: JeuJeu
    Downloads name: JeuJeu
    Email: IE00432@ijburgcollege.nl
    Files to review: Modpacks and custom maps.
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames