You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Pls Help :( Giving archers to Carthage
Bottom
Topic Subject:Pls Help :( Giving archers to Carthage
SilverRR111
Legionary
posted 27 June 2008 12:18 EDT (US)         
hi to all..

my problem is;i am playing rome total war with carthage,but there is no archer unit in their army and i want to add archer unit to carthage..for exmp., i want to add rome archers to carthagen army..

how can i do that ?
AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 27 June 2008 13:41 EDT (US)     1 / 15       
Thread title changed to be more descriptive & moved to Game Modification & Editor Discussion.

Hi SilverRR111, welcome to TWH!

You can give Carthage archers by changing some of the game files. Be sure to make a backup of each file before you edit it, so you always have a backup to fall back to if something goes wrong.

Star by opening RTW\data\export_descr_unit.txt. Find the entry for carthaginian archer and the line that says "ownership". Now add "carthage" to the end of this line, so you get this:

type carthaginian archer
dictionary carthaginian_archer ; Archers
category infantry
class missile
voice_type Light_1
soldier carthaginian_archer, 40, 0, 0.8
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap
formation 1.6, 2, 3.2, 4, 3, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 7, 1, arrow, 120, 30, missile, archery, piercing, none, 25 ,1
stat_pri_attr no
stat_sec 3, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, knife, 25 ,1
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 0, 2, 0, flesh
stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
stat_heat -1
stat_ground 2, 1, 0, -1
stat_mental 4, normal, untrained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 190, 170, 20, 30, 190
ownership numidia, carthage

Open RTW\data\descr_model_battle.txt. Inside it you'll see entries for each unit in the game. Find the entry for carthaginian_archer. It looks like this:

typecarthaginian_archer
skeletonfs_semi_fast_archer, fs_semi_fast_dagger
indiv_range40
texturenumidia, data/models_unit/textures/unit_carthage_light_archer_numidia.tga
model_flexidata/models_unit/unit_carthage_archer_high.cas, 15
model_flexidata/models_unit/unit_carthage_archer_med.cas, 30
model_flexidata/models_unit/unit_carthage_archer_low.cas, 40
model_flexidata/models_unit/unit_carthage_archer_lowest.cas, max
model_spritenumidia, 60.0, data/sprites/numidia_carthaginian_archer_sprite.spr
model_tri400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

Now you'll have to add a new texture line and a new model_sprite line. Change the faction on that line to Carthage. You can just use the texture and sprites from numidia. So you get this:

typecarthaginian_archer
skeletonfs_semi_fast_archer, fs_semi_fast_dagger
indiv_range40
texturenumidia, data/models_unit/textures/unit_carthage_light_archer_numidia.tga
texturecarthage, data/models_unit/textures/unit_carthage_light_archer_numidia.tga
model_spritenumidia, 60.0, data/sprites/numidia_carthaginian_archer_sprite.spr
model_spritecarthage, 60.0, data/sprites/numidia_carthaginian_archer_sprite.spr

Now go to RTW\data\export_descr_buildings.txt. Inside you'll find the information for all buildings. Find the building called "missiles". In all four lists of units that can be trained there find the following line:
                recruit "carthaginian archer"  0  requires factions { numidia, }

and change it to this:
                recruit "carthaginian archer"  0  requires factions { numidia, carthage, }

Carthage will now be able to use Archers in both the campaign and custom battles. However, they don't have a unit card yet so they use the generic one and they look like the archers Numidia gets. For instructions on how to change I'd recommend taking a look at A Guide To Creating New Units by SubRosa.

Happy modding.

Hussarknight
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 27 June 2008 17:02 EDT (US)     2 / 15       
Actually, there is a carthaginian archer texture and unit cards in the game already. The CA just never implemented the unit. I will have to unpack all my files again to find it, since I recently deleted this old copy of RTW and copied over a fresh one.

Edit:

Found it. The carthaginian archer texture is actually called UNIT_CARTHAGE_LIGHT_ARCHER_CARTHAGE.TGA.DDS

So just adding the code for it in Export_Descr_Unit, Descr_Model_Battle, and Export_Descr_Buildings will get it in the game with the correct, Carthaginian skin.

However, there are no Unit Cards for it, so it looks like you are stuck with using the Numidian ones.

Or you can download Professor Spatula's Carthaginian Archer and just use his texture and unit cards.

And welcome to TWH!

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 06-27-2008 @ 09:59 PM).]

Andalus
Legionary
posted 28 June 2008 07:29 EDT (US)     3 / 15       
Actually, there is a carthaginian archer texture and unit cards in the game already. The CA just never implemented the unit.
Isn't that the archer texture used with War Elephants?

If you want a little more spice, you can use the archer texture used with Armoured Elephants. I did just that to create my 'Poeni Archers', as I detest basic archers, so I wanted an elite, long-range archer for Carthage.
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 28 June 2008 14:38 EDT (US)     4 / 15       
Isn't that the archer texture used with War Elephants?
I never thought of it, but it probably is.
If you want a little more spice, you can use the archer texture used with Armoured Elephants. I did just that to create my 'Poeni Archers', as I detest basic archers, so I wanted an elite, long-range archer for Carthage.
Perhaps you will put that in our Downloads section, and make a topic about it here with a few pictures to show it off? You can get some very good pics with the movie_cam command line switch, as it removes the UI and allows you to take them from eye-level (and below). It is how I did most of the new preview pics for ATW.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 06-28-2008 @ 02:40 PM).]

BearCavalry
Legionary
posted 28 June 2008 18:21 EDT (US)     5 / 15       
Andalus ,or anyone else, could you explain to me how to take a unit (i.e. Lybian spearmen) into a missle unit ( archer or javelin) do i have to create a new unit?

EDIT: Never mind i found SubRosa's tutorials.

[This message has been edited by BearCavalry (edited 06-28-2008 @ 07:09 PM).]

SubRosa
Legionary
posted 28 June 2008 19:23 EDT (US)     6 / 15       
If you want a little more spice, you can use the archer texture used with Armoured Elephants.
I looked them up, and the unit_carthage_light_archer_carthage.tga is being used by both the War Elephants and Armoured Elephants.
typecarthaginian_elephant_crew
skeletonfs_forest_elephant_rider
indiv_range40
texturecarthage, data/models_unit/textures/unit_carthage_light_archer_carthag e.tga
model_spritecarthage, 60.0, data/sprites/carthage_carthaginian_elephant_crew_sprite.spr

typecarthaginian_big_elephant_crew
skeletonfs_big_elephant_rider
indiv_range40
texturecarthage, data/models_unit/textures/unit_carthage_light_archer_carthag e.tga
model_spritecarthage, 60.0, data/sprites/carthage_carthaginian_big_elephant_crew_sprite.spr

I like the picture, it really illustrates the differences between Regular, War, and Armoured Elephants.

Or were you talking about Elephants in XGM or another mod?

I like the name Poeni Archers. I am going to use a variation for my Carthaginian Chosen Slingers in ATW.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 06-28-2008 @ 07:34 PM).]

Andalus
Legionary
posted 29 June 2008 15:30 EDT (US)     7 / 15       
I looked them up, and the unit_carthage_light_archer_carthage.tga is being used by both the War Elephants and Armoured Elephants.
Oh, I'd assumed it was the Armoured Elephant texture. It must just be another unused texture.
Perhaps you will put that in our Downloads section, and make a topic about it here with a few pictures to show it off?
I could do that. In fact, I could probably release an entire pack of several units I have made from other vanilla textures. Just be prepared for terrible unit cards. I haven't got round to editing out the backgrounds.

Do you want me to? If so, I'll put it up soon.
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 29 June 2008 16:14 EDT (US)     8 / 15       
I might be able to help with the unit cards. Or better yet, Private Clark. He is quite proficient at creating them.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 30 June 2008 12:27 EDT (US)     9 / 15       
What I can do is put it up in the downloads section without Unit Cards, then, if PrivateClark is willing, he could download it to make them, and them I'll put it up proper.

I'll email him and ask.

In the meantime... A little preview of the preview...

Poeni Archers

Mounted Archers

Thracian Swordsmen and Macedonian Hypaspists

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 06-30-2008 @ 12:30 PM).]

SubRosa
Legionary
posted 30 June 2008 18:02 EDT (US)     10 / 15       
They look very good! What skin is that for the Poeni Archers? I do not recognize it.

I would hold off on uploading it. Otherwise you will just have to re-upload it again anyway and replace the first file with the one with unit cards. Why do it twice? If he does not take you up on the offer let me know and I will do it (they would probably look better if he did them however, which is why I suggest him first).
Andalus
Legionary
posted 01 July 2008 15:31 EDT (US)     11 / 15       
I can't remember the name of the skin, sorry. It's on my other computer, so I can't check right now.

He has agreed, but first I need to unscramble the files from my disorganised modding to email it to him (I did these a long time ago). I once had a tidy desktop...
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 01 July 2008 15:42 EDT (US)     12 / 15       
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 03 July 2008 19:34 EDT (US)     13 / 15       
Andalus
Legionary
posted 04 July 2008 11:36 EDT (US)     14 / 15       
I've got them. I particularly like the one for Auxiliary Cavalry (That's the first one, people).
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 04 July 2008 13:39 EDT (US)     15 / 15       
I've got them. I particularly like the one for Auxiliary Cavalry (That's the first one, people).
It does look good. But if you have the time you might want to change the shield to something like these, as the curved rectangular infantry scutum would have awkward in the very least to use on a horse. That is why historically Roman cavalry all used flat oval shaped shields. I do not meant to sound anal, obviously the virtual horses and riders will not mind, but it might look nicer if you can do it.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 07-04-2008 @ 07:34 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames