You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Scorpion Card sound??
Bottom
Topic Subject:Scorpion Card sound??
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 27 November 2016 13:42 EDT (US)         
Hello folks,

I finished creating my own mod: Holland Total War (if you haven't noticed about it on the forum)

In that mod, I used the scorpion_cart mount to create a Tiger I unit.

Most is fine now, like a tiger hull (chariot part) and a tiger turret (scorpion part).

Only thing that misses: Sound!! I need to change the gun fire sound and the engine(chariot) The problem is that I don't know which sound file to change. I can't find a file whit information about that scorpion cart.
AuthorReplies:
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 02 December 2016 05:24 EDT (US)     1 / 6       
I tried a lot of things, and I have engine sound and ammo sound now. Sounds amazing!

Unfortunately there are still chariot sounds at te same time, and I know where to change that sounds.
However, If I change the data in descr_sound_engine, it applies to all chariots.

So the Tigers are tigers again, only the gun shot sound still missing.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 03 December 2016 07:00 EDT (US)     2 / 6       
Cool!

It may be an idea to explain here how you did that, so later, if you forget or another wishes to follow, the advice is easily and reaidly available.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 03 January 2017 07:42 EDT (US)     3 / 6       
Okay Terikel, I finally found some time to explain how I fixed (most of) it. This guide will show you how to add (new) sounds to the scorpion cart.

NOTE: This guide is made with my own files for my mod, Holland: Total War. Don't add these code to your data, because the game will crash then.
Also backup all the files before making changes, so you can throw them back when the game crashes.

Step 1: Creating the (new) sounds
I had a lot of trouble while creating the sounds. As you all might know, the supported soundextension for effects is .wav only. However, when I tried to play my .wav files, they didn't play; sometimes the game even crashed.
I found this solution: You need to convert your files to a .wav format with this codec: Microsoft PCM Format.. Also, the advanced options need to be: 22050 Hz, 16 Bits, Mono..
After all that, place the soundfiles in the soundfolder or wherever you want them to be.

Step 2: descr_sounds_units_march.txt
This file contains the basic information about the sound played when marching. Open that file, and search for "chariots". You will see a list of information; something like this:

~~~
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; CHARIOTS ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

DEFAULT: 3d mindist 7 minPitch .9 maxPitch 1.1 priority 70 fadein 1 fadeout 2 Volume -5 probability 1

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;; GRASS and others ;;;;;

type barb british general briton, barb chariot light briton, barb chariot heavy briton, barb chariot heavy slave, ;etc...
season summer, autumn, spring, winter
terrain grass_short, grass_long, rock, forest_dense, scrub_dense, mud_road, mud, swamp, sand, stone_road, dirt

event lod 2
folder data/sounds/SFX/Group/Chariot/Grass
char_group_walk_small_grass
end

event lod 4
char_group_walk_med_grass
end
event lod 8
char_group_walk_large_grass
end
~~~

Just copy this in your own file and paste it below the original.
Change the name of the type you want (look for it in export_descr_unit), change the folder path if you need to, and change the sound name below the folder path.
After doing this for all lods (lod 2 is almost a single unit, lod 8 is a large group), you might have something like this:

~~~
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; CHARIOTS ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

DEFAULT: 3d mindist 7 minPitch .9 maxPitch 1.1 priority 70 fadein 1 fadeout 2 Volume -5 probability 1

;;;; GRASS and others ;;;;;

type cheat oliphants
season summer, autumn, spring, winter
terrain grass_short, grass_long, rock, forest_dense, scrub_dense, mud_road, mud, swamp, sand, stone_road, wood, dirt

event lod 2 volume 30
folder holland/data/sounds/anims
tiger_moving_1
end

event lod 4 volume 30
tiger_moving_1
end
event lod 8 volume 30
tiger_moving_1
end
~~~

This is the code I have for Holland: Total War (Tiger I Unit)
Do the same for the other terrain types.
Now you should hear your new sound when your unit type
is moving/marching.

Step 3: descr_sounds_engine.txt

This is file is the file that tells the game what sounds to play for the engines. There is one exception as you can see at
the top of the file: chariot (special case) it tells.
Hit Ctr+F and search for 'class chariot'. You will see something like this:

~~~
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;; CHARIOT ;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

class chariot
season spring, summer, autumn
terrain grass_short, grass_long, forest_dense, scrub_dense, rock, swamp, mud, mud_road, sand, stone_road, wood
event lod 1 volume 0 mindist 2
folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Footsteps/Chariots/Grass
Chariot_FS_Walk_Blade_01b
Chariot_FS_Walk_Blade_02b
end

terrain water
folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Footsteps/Chariots/Water
Chariot_Walk_Water_01
Chariot_Walk_Water_02
Chariot_Walk_Water_03
end

;;;; ICE ;;;;
season winter
climates temperate_grassland_fertile, temperate_grassland_infertile, temperate_forest_open, temperate_forest_deep, highland, alpine, sub_arctic
terrain ice
event lod 1 mindist 2
folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Footsteps/Chariots/Grass
Chariot_FS_Walk_Blade_01b
Chariot_FS_Walk_Blade_02b
end

;;;; SNOW ;;;;
season winter
climates temperate_grassland_fertile, temperate_grassland_infertile, temperate_forest_open, temperate_forest_deep, highland, alpine, sub_arctic
terrain grass_short, grass_long, sand, forest_dense, scrub_dense, rock
folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Footsteps/Chariots/Snow
Chariot_Walk_Snow_01
Chariot_Walk_Snow_02
Chariot_Walk_Snow_03
end
~~~

I don't know if it worked, but try the following: copy all the text in your own file, and past it below the original one.
Then change the word 'class' to 'type', and add the type of unit after it (also the same as in export_descr_unit.txt)

Then change the folders again (when needed), and the sound filenames. If you did all of that, you will have something like this below the original:

~~~
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;; TIGER I ;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[b]type[/b] cheat oliphants, tanks
season spring, summer, autumn
terrain grass_short, grass_long, forest_dense, scrub_dense, rock, swamp, mud, mud_road, sand, stone_road, wood
tiger_moving_1
end

terrain water
tiger_moving_2
end

;;;; ICE ;;;;
season winter
terrain ice
event lod 1 mindist 2
tiger_moving_1
end

;;;; SNOW ;;;;
season winter
terrain grass_short, grass_long, sand, forest_dense, scrub_dense, rock
tiger_moving_2
end
~~~

NOTE THE WORD 'type' INSTEAD OF CLASS!
everything after this sign: ';' is just a comment. So you can change everything after ';' like you want it to be.
Again, this is just an example of my own descr_sound_engine.txt file!

Step 4: descr_sound_weapons.txt
This file tells the game what sound to play when a weapon hit something.
I used this to add the Tiger I shell sound when flying in the air and landing.
Hit Ctr+F again and search for 'Ballista', until you see something like this:

~~~
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;; BALLISTA
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

unit roman repeating ballista:sec, roman ballista:sec, east ballista:sec, barb ballista dacian:sec, greek ballista:sec, tank:sec, cheat oliphants:sec, tank pri, cheat oliphants pri
fly
event volume 0 mindist 4 priority 100 distancepriority 0 minpitch 0.7 maxpitch 1.1 fadein .25 fadeout .5 probability 1
shell_whine
end

flaming fly
event volume 0 mindist 4 priority 100 distancepriority 0 minpitch 0.7 maxpitch 1.2 fadein .25 fadeout .5 probability 1
shell_whine
end

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

hit building
event mindist 5 priority 200 volume 0 distancepriority 0 probability 1 randomdelay 0
shell_building_hit
end

flaming hit building
event mindist 5 priority 200 volume 0 distancepriority 0 probability 1 randomdelay 0
shell_building_hit
end

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

hit flesh, leather
event mindist 5 priority 200 distancepriority 0 volume 0 probability 1 randomdelay 0
shell_explode_1
shell_explode_2
shell_explode_3
shell_explode_4
shell_explode_5
shell_explode_6
end

flaming hit flesh, leather
event mindist 5 priority 200 distancepriority 0 volume 0 probability 1 randomdelay 0
shell_explode_1
shell_explode_2
shell_explode_3
shell_explode_4
shell_explode_5
shell_explode_6
end

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

death_hit flesh
shell_explode_1
shell_explode_2
shell_explode_3
shell_explode_4
shell_explode_5
shell_explode_6

end

flaming death_hit flesh
shell_explode_1
shell_explode_2
shell_explode_3
shell_explode_4
shell_explode_5
shell_explode_6
end

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

flaming hit wood
folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Missiles/Catapult_Rock/Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood
Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood_01
Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood_02
Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood_03
Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood_04
Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood_05
end

hit wood
folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Missiles/Catapult_Rock/Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood
Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood_01
Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood_02
Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood_03
Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood_04
Cat_Rock_Hit_Wood_05
end

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

hit metal
folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Missiles/Catapult_Rock/Cat_Rock_Hit_Breastplate
Cat_Rock_Hit_Breastplate_01
Cat_Rock_Hit_Breastplate_02

folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Missiles/Catapult_Rock/Cat_Rock_Hit_Chainmail
Cat_Rock_Hit_Chainmail_01
Cat_Rock_Hit_Chainmail_02
end

flaming hit metal
folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Missiles/Catapult_Rock/Cat_Rock_Hit_Breastplate
Cat_Rock_Hit_Breastplate_01
Cat_Rock_Hit_Breastplate_02

folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Missiles/Catapult_Rock/Cat_Rock_Hit_Chainmail
Cat_Rock_Hit_Chainmail_01
Cat_Rock_Hit_Chainmail_02
end

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

hit ground water
event mindist 5 priority 200 distancepriority 0 volume -15 probability 1 randomdelay 0
shell_explode_water_1
end

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

hit ground
event mindist 5 priority 200 distancepriority 0 volume -20 rndvolume -20 probability 1 randomdelay 0
shell_explode_1
shell_explode_2
shell_explode_3
shell_explode_4
shell_explode_5
shell_explode_6

end

flaming hit ground
event mindist 5 priority 200 distancepriority 0 volume -20 rndvolume -20 probability 1 randomdelay 0
shell_explode_1
shell_explode_2
shell_explode_3
shell_explode_4
shell_explode_5
shell_explode_6

end
~~~

This is a large ammount of information. To change it, copy this all along until you see a new class 'scorpion'
Paste it below the original text again.
Now change the 'unit' type at the upper part of the coppied code. Don't copy this version above, because it is allready
changed by me with my own soundfiles.

You might have noticed that I added some unit myself ("tank:sec, cheat oliphants:sec, tank pri, cheat oliphants pri").
This is because in my mod, I don't have that units of other ballista's in my mod (like roman ballista, greek ballista etc.)
So I did not copy the entire code, but I changed it. I do not recommend it if you have the normal Rome version,
because your original ballista's will have different sounds then.

Change the copied code as you want it (don't forget to remove the upper units, as the code above your new one already mentioned that units).
Change the folder paths when needed, and add your own sound files below it. Now your unit will make this sounds in-game.

Questions/problems? Comment below

Dagovax ~ creator of Holland: Total War
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04 January 2017 06:26 EDT (US)     4 / 6       
Awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 06 January 2017 16:32 EDT (US)     5 / 6       
Np, but I think none will modify the sound of this 'rare used' scorpion cart
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09 January 2017 12:00 EDT (US)     6 / 6       
Maybe not, but they can see how you did it if they wish to put new sounds into other units, eh?

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames