You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » What are some effective battle strategies when playing as the Brutti?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What are some effective battle strategies when playing as the Brutti?
rocco2014
Legionary
posted 28 May 2014 13:12 EDT (US)         
I'm kind of new at the game. What are some effective battle strategies when playing as the Brutti in this three following situations even if my army is a bit inferior in numbers?

- Battle in open field

- When defending a city

- When beseiging a city

I started a campaign as the brutti and I already fought both the Thracians and the Britons several times but I got many casualties in my armies.

How can I beat them without having too many casualties?

EDIT:

Since I suffered serious losses in my armies, I think I'd better start a new campaign

[This message has been edited by rocco2014 (edited 05-28-2014 @ 01:16 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 28 May 2014 14:19 EDT (US)     1 / 3       
Welcome to our forums, rocco2014!

A good place to start on learning how to command thy troops can be found by perusing the pages of our Strategy and Tactics Section. We have many scrolls detailing how best to command thy forces, and opening guides to help thee bring thy faction to a rapid and strong position.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 01 June 2014 03:40 EDT (US)     2 / 3       
Thrace and the Britons have some very good heavy infantry so you will have losses fighting them. The main strength of the Britons are chariots, and the best way to fix them are to have some archers shooting at them to sap their hit points and start bringing them down. Other than that, stand your army at the top of a good hill, throw pila at the infantry as they come forward and run them off the field with your cavalry. It might be worth having a few spearmen in there in case the chariots become a problem - so some triarii or auxilia, depending on whether you've reached the Marian Reforms or not, or even just hire some barbarian mercenaries to do the job.

Thrace can be difficult in the open. They have falxmen and basternae which can make a mess of your infantry in melee. They also have phalanxes. Chances are you'll be confronted with a mixture of these and it's difficult to not lose many people when you're on the defensive against that. Again, lots of archers to hit the basternae and falxmen as they're vulnerable to it, and throw your pila at close range at anything else. If in doubt, put all your infantry into guard mode, I've always found they seem to defend better against a phalanx that way, also they won't go running off after routing enemy units and leave you with bits and pieces of an army all over the place. The best thing to do though is attack the Thracians in the open, they'll stand on the defensive then. Send forward your cavalry and use them in a collective mass to charge any skirmishers and cavalry and especially generals off the field. Once that's done, advance the infantry forward and halt a reasonable distance away from their line. If you're lucky, that line will start to break up as they advance towards you in one's and two's. Absorb the impact with one unit, charge them in the rear with another.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 01 June 2014 04:09 EDT (US)     3 / 3       
Another thing to remember about fighting those two is that likely it will be in regions where you cannot easily replenish legionary cohorts (after the Marian Reforms).

In those areas, base your armies around the early legionary cohort. This will be retrainable at most Tier-Three cities (by that time, Londinium, Alesia, Tylis, and sometimes Porrolissum). Auxilia will help, and the archer auxilia should be readily available almost everywhere, as is the Roman cavalry.

A typical army set up would be eight early legionary cohorts, four archer auxilia, six Roman cavalry, your general, and maybe an onager or auxilia. As Shieldwall said, against the Britons use less cavalry and more auxilia. I find that concentrating archer fire against a unit of chariots seems to bring them down quite handsomely. And the concentration of cavalry along one flank (I typically deploy 5 on one side and the six on the other) usually guarantees I can envelop my foe.

Also, never throw horse cavalry against chariots. The scythes will chop your horses into dogfood.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 06-01-2014 @ 04:32 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames