Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Raiding vs Conquering
Bottom
Topic Subject:Raiding vs Conquering
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 09 June 2014 09:19 EDT (US)         
Lately I have been experimenting with raiding as a form of crushing foes that have gotten too big for their britches and come over onto my turf to give me shit. In a normal campaign I eliminate these foes by conquest, but in a defensive campaign conquest is not an option, so it goes to raiding- take their cities, exterminate for max cash, spend a round or two retraining, then rubble everything for denarii, then split.

But I hate defensive campaigns. I am a conqueror; it is in my blood. But if and when I am involved with teaching one fool the value of leaving me the hell alone, some other fool decides to come in an take advantage of my preoccupation with giving lessons to the first. Thus I find myself unwilling to let these trespasses pass, not able to open an entire second campaign usually for monetary reasons, which is why raiding was so wonderful- it pays for itself, often much more than originally invested.

So I now build up my armies for conquest, and a fleet of sturdy warships with a decent force of fleet marines to spank any monkey stupid enough to commit suicide or declare war.

That's how I deal with impertinent apes who speak words of friendship but deal in treachery. How do you tackle such?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 09 June 2014 10:38 EDT (US)     1 / 9       
If I'm not ready to engage in a wholehearted offensive campaign of conquest against an enemy, my primary tactics revolve around reducing their ability to make money. I build up my fleets and blockade every port of theirs I can find, and send spies and assassins to infiltrate their cities, causing unrest and killing their leaders. I also make sure to keep strong armies in my border towns, so that anyone foolish enough to come across my borders quickly learns the error of their ways.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 11 June 2014 02:59 EDT (US)     2 / 9       
I also form a viking force, typically consisting of a strong four-ship fleet with a good attacking general, three infantry, an archer, possibly an additional melee infantry if the faction has one, and a pair of spies who go ashore first to make sure the large and badly defended city I'm about to waste is truly alone. Unless I happen to be Greece and already own Rhodes or Crete, I will probably capture one of those to use as a pirate base deep in enemy waters. They can retrain here if they have to make a quick getaway.

I think it's a strategy which has its place in the defensive game as it will harm their economy, give yours a big cash boost, and prevent them from making key units for a lot of turns. I'd also blockade ports to bring further ruin, and have spies and assassins cause unrest, destroy buildings and bump off family members. I have literally paralysed several large factions at once just by doing that. I also form alliances with weak neighbours who are between me and the big bad. I gift them cash and get military access rights to send an army in to fight alongside their city. It helps to keep the war off my porch and almost certainly guarantees a friendly neighbour for a long time as they will be too weak to attack me.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 12 June 2014 03:42 EDT (US)     3 / 9       
I try to put lots more infantry than that, or if I have artillery, one of those. Speed is not a problem in ships, but wrecking the city immediately is a priority, and if no arty, then lots and lots of infantry (assault types like axemen or legionaries or Chosen Swordsmen) that can build a lot of ladders for my swarm attack.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 06-12-2014 @ 03:59 AM).]

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 16 June 2014 00:44 EDT (US)     4 / 9       
A amphibious combat team is an idea i am very familiar with. It is especially useful when undertaking quick islands assaults such as at Crete or Rhodes, or even taking the Crimea. Normally i compose the force at about 10 units- not a full army but still able to beat one if used properly.
1 General
4 Infantry
3 Cavalry
2 Archers or Onagers(depending on how much and how quickly you want to raid.)

On the issue of Raiding vs Conquering, i am also a conqueror at heart. I mistook a defensive campaign and thought you couldn't raid enemy settlements, but in such a campaign it would be very beneficial. Basically scorched earth- and if you even want to buy peace- leave just the trading buildings and trade the settlement for peace. Interesting possibilities.

I recently undertook a migration campaign of Macedon to Germania. Does anyone have issues when undertaking a migration campaign that it results in a ctd? It seems only when i do that that it happens...

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by Awesome Eagle (edited 06-16-2014 @ 00:46 AM).]

General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 16 June 2014 11:08 EDT (US)     5 / 9       
Does anyone have issues when undertaking a migration campaign that it results in a ctd? It seems only when i do that that it happens...
What action preceded your CTD? Had you just moved your capital or tried to abandon a territory? Or did it happen after you took a new city?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 17 June 2014 23:40 EDT (US)     6 / 9       
In the CTD's the trigger appears to be a successful battle, but is random as to what battle it occurs. In my Macedon migration campaign, i had 5-6 territories in Germania, won a very large battle, but then CTD. i reloaded and a couple battles later after another large successful battle- CTD. This only occurs during Migration campaigns so it is weird. :/

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 18 June 2014 13:14 EDT (US)     7 / 9       
How does your system recognize that you are doing a migration campaign?

(ie, maybe the CTD is tied to the loss of your home provinces?)

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 18 June 2014 16:22 EDT (US)     8 / 9       
I honestly have no idea. My thoughts on the matter were that the loss of home territories did make it unstable, but this is probably just musings. I am thinking about doing a new clean install or something to try and get some kinks out of it. I might use the diagnose tool next time I try a migration campaign as well, to see what might be stuffing up

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 20 June 2014 03:27 EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Interesting.

I will have to try this as Germania, to see if my set-up does the same crazy shit as yours.

(A good excuse to fire up another campaign... he he)

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames