Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Barbarian Invasion Discussion » BI Newbie
Bottom
Topic Subject:BI Newbie
sluggus
Legionary
posted 30 January 2007 20:12 EDT (US)         
I'm having my first go at BI, and was wpndering a few things:

I'm playing the huns in m/m. I sacked the city at the start and then the one to the south (owned by the Roxolani). I've moved to , and taken over Byzantium, Athens, Solana, Campus Iazagi, and the one in the middle I can't remember. I'm earning little money. I've put my construction dollars into traders/mines etc. to improve it. Most of my money cseems to be spent on military upkeep.

Questions:

1. Is it normal to find it hard to make money?
2. Should I sack more cities, and if so, how. I didn't get ant choice after the first two so am exterminating them where I can (more money).
3. It seems pretty easy to take over cities. Is it normal or a consequence of the m/m I'm playing on.

AuthorReplies:
Severous
Legionary
posted 31 January 2007 02:21 EDT (US)     1 / 10       
Hi sluggus

Welcome to BI.

Huns were hard for me to make money. It was also my first play. I screwed up bigger than you with my three Hun cities split up. Only near the end of my Hun campaign did I have money to burn..and that came from sacking big Italian cities.

Trade is important. Do you have Thessolonica? That will trade with each of those regions you have already.

Dont build too big a military until you have a good income base.

Do enjoy.

See you around.

sluggus
Legionary
posted 31 January 2007 17:08 EDT (US)     2 / 10       
I do have Thessalonica. THat's the one I couldn't think of.

I'll hit the end turn button a few times, build up my trade base and consolidate for awhile and see how it pans out.

I picked the Huns because they were first on the list. I'll play some more tribes and see if they are any different.

Severous
Legionary
posted 01 February 2007 02:14 EDT (US)     3 / 10       
CaptainFishpants
VIP
posted 01 February 2007 06:20 EDT (US)     4 / 10       
You might find it easier as the Huns if you "play to their strengths" early on. Attack and sack cities rather than settling too early, and build up your treasury.

Then, when you finally settle, you can splurge a bit on the buildings that you need. You also need to bear in mind that while you are in horde mode as the Huns you aren't paying any upkeep costs on your military forces. As soon as you have a home province the men expect to be paid, and this will drain your treasury.

If you can manage it, try to conquer more than one city/province to settle on the same turn. That way, your economy will be bigger from the start and you have a better chance of surviving the cashflow crisis of having to pay upkeep and buy buildings.

----

Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 01 February 2007 10:55 EDT (US)     5 / 10       

Quote:

You might find it easier as the Huns if you "play to their strengths" early on. Attack and sack cities rather than settling too early, and build up your treasury.

Hell, I found the Sassanids much easier than the Huns- once you're settled you're in for a rude awakening that consists of all your forces dissapearing.

Good to see you, Cap'in. You may be interested in recent threads in our war stiries forum, especially the after action reports (AARs)- Sev's on a mammoth Celt campain that you will enjoy.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
sluggus
Legionary
posted 01 February 2007 20:31 EDT (US)     6 / 10       
Quote: You might find it easier as the Huns if you "play to their strengths" early on. Attack and sack cities rather than settling too early, and build up your treasury.

I believe that's my problem. I settled in Thrace because that's one of the target provinces. Next time I'll bypass it and carry on. Methinks I could also sack it, grab the loot then come back a lot of turns later and walk in and settle there when it's alot easier to conquer.

Also to answer my own question two, once I settled in my first city, sacking as an option disappeared. Now I'm fighting a more 'normal' RTW type of campaign.

Severous, I'm off to read your war story now and see what else I can pick up.

Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 05 February 2007 10:53 EDT (US)     7 / 10       
This is just a thought of mine, so please don't go mad if this is a stupid idea.

When you settle, settle only one city and build up your economy. You may have to disband some regular units to keep your economy running. As you settled in only one town, you'll still have a part of your horde units, which can be used to defend against enemies while you build up army and economy. When you've got an economy strong enough to support enough regular units to defend against enemies, use the remains of your horde units to capture two other towns and settle down completely.

Hussarknight
AugustusCurly
Legionary
posted 06 February 2007 17:26 EDT (US)     8 / 10       
I set out on a campaign to sack all of Europe east of the Hun's starting position, but decided to settle in Italy after sacking Greece, Germany, and much of France. I had 45,000 denerii (I had ketp it below 50,000 so as not to get bad traits by buying mercenaries to fight many of my field battles) and was able to get a struggling economy up to where I could get back Constantinople and complete the scenario.

I have two suggestions:

A.) Sack sack sack. You will need money as the Huns have a terrible economy.

B.) Sack sack sack. The Huns are pagan and some of the best real estate for you is Christian. Don't be afraid to double sack if an all Christian population will still be at 7,000 or more, since yuo will also have cultural and garrison problems to deal with and they are better managed in smaller towns (I did that with Constantinople and Rome).

(\__/)Gambling is a tax on people who are bad at math
(O.o )a Kilometre is whats known in American as "too far to walk", and a litre is known as "too much beer for one man".-Bored Scotsman
( >< )Beer brands are the power ranger action figures for adults.-Angelo the Sailor
Easter is indeed very commercial. But hey, that's what keeps the economy going. Discussion is useless, chocolate eggs are delicious. Voila.-TheKid951
sluggus
Legionary
posted 06 February 2007 22:14 EDT (US)     9 / 10       
I don't get alot of time to play, so I haven't progressed a real lot. I have enough denarii to get a few more units each turn. Just yesterday I beat off a horde or Roxilani (sp?) that tried to take over and a group of Sarmatians tried to move in as I was finishing the Rox off. As this is my first BI campaign it's Med/Med so I seem to be winning fairly easy. I'm just going to play this one out and move onto another faction. MAybe next time I give the Huns a go I'll sack, sack, sack first.

I'd also like to add that BI seems easier to play than the Roman factions in RTW. I'm unsure whether that's just the lack of a Senate and the people aren't as hard to please or what. Does anyone else seem to think that?

AugustusCurly
Legionary
posted 07 February 2007 17:33 EDT (US)     10 / 10       
It's easy for the hordes (at first) since they don't have to worry about upkeep (except for mercenaries). When ever I played a faction that could horde, I first went horde, sacked a little, battled a little, and then went back to finish the campaign (I can finish the BI campaigns easier than the RTW campaigns because the faction-specific objectives can be done easier than “50 regions plus Rome,” another reason why BI is easier). Also, all the (enemy) factions start out with some weak points. The Romans have huge empires and not enough money, many of the new barbarians start with just one city, the Sassinids are hemmed in by the stronger (initially, unless the Hordes beat them up) ERE, and the Hordes can’t replace their losses until they settle down. Yes, I believe BI is easier than RTW, except for playing the Romans .

(\__/)Gambling is a tax on people who are bad at math
(O.o )a Kilometre is whats known in American as "too far to walk", and a litre is known as "too much beer for one man".-Bored Scotsman
( >< )Beer brands are the power ranger action figures for adults.-Angelo the Sailor
Easter is indeed very commercial. But hey, that's what keeps the economy going. Discussion is useless, chocolate eggs are delicious. Voila.-TheKid951
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames