You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum » Kingdoms: Britannia team game
Bottom
Topic Subject:Kingdoms: Britannia team game
Myth_ORG
Legionary
posted 29 April 2013 13:36 EDT (US)         
Hey guys. We've had several (I think 3 or 4) successfull, full auto resolve games using the Britannia expansion for Kingdoms. We've come to discover that the factions are not particularly well balanced, because England is such a juggernaut in the hands of a good player.

WE surmised that Norway+England vs the three Celtic factions (Wales, Ireland, Scotland) is a good match-up.

Any takers on such a game?
AuthorReplies:
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 29 April 2013 15:25 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
England always seems to be abit overpowered in every in Total War campaign. Not necisarily because of their military, but rather their economy and strategic position. In the Brittania campaign they have alot of settlements and many of them are out of danger(South and Eastern England). If Scotland can survive and defeat the armies of Haakon then they can conquer them entirely and dominate the North. I don't believe Ireland should have much trouble driving the English out and from there can support the other Celts. Wales Vs England is often the most important and swift conflict in the campaign. Wales has Morgannwg Spearmen, the most effective autoresolve unit in M2TW(not counting mods of course). It is spearman, which as well as anticav have more men than other infantry, they have 20-1 defense and 11(+5 charge) attack, 9 morale and only 155 upkeep. The problem is England is huge and can hold out even if they lose a few settlements, Wales on the other hand is small, and their economy is weak. However, if Wales take and hold enough land, they can produce stacks of Morgannwg Spearmen which are good enough to turn the game into Wale's favour. However, if they lose and are conquered, England may use Caernarvon as a base from which to conquer Ireland, and thus Scotland's fate is sealed.

I might be interested in playing Wales for a team Brittania game, I'm playing as them in our KGCM hotseat and have secured a good position, at this point I think England is unable to kill me, but defeating them will not be easy either due to garrison script.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
Myth_ORG
Legionary
posted 29 April 2013 18:33 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
I'd have to argue that Armoured Swordsmen are the best AR unit in Britannia, though those spears are great as well. Wales vs. England AR was my very first game, and the Welsh player had experience over me, but I managed to turn the tide eventually. The economy of England is supreme.

If Scotland fails to wipe out Norway before Haakon's reinforcements arrive, they're in for trouble.

Ireland has horrid AR units for the most part, only Muire and some swordsmen hold their own. The Irish have two advantages - great resources which their faction values (merchant income is great as it does not lose effectiveness due to corruption) and possibly enough ports to rival the English economy.

But if the English decide to camp in Dublin it'd be 10 turn before Ireland can reclaim it I think, and without Dublin they won't be nearly as effective.
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 29 April 2013 19:38 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
I have the stats for both of them. The Armoured Swordsmen lack any advantage over the Morgannwg Spearmen except for being just abit cheaper and having nearly the same upkeep(5 less). The Armoured Swordsmen have same attack, 2 less charge, 2 less defense skill, same morale, and less men(15 less on normal, and 30 less on large).

In the Kingdoms Expansion, the armour value of most units was nerfed while the sheild value was buffed. The defense skill of sword/axe/mace and sheild infantry was nerfed, while the defense skill of spearmen was buffed. Cavalry was also nerfed statwise aswell, possibly meaning that the spearmen buff was another way to nerf cav as before kingdoms spearmen couldn't hold well against mid-high tier cavalry. Regardless, the result was that in the Kingdoms Campaigns and Retrofit Mod(who's stats are based on the expansion's changes) was that spearmen became considerably stronger and able to beat most infantry, only struggling against two-handed weapon infantry, as well as being able to defeat or at least damage cav and soak up cav damage. Also their really high defense and larger numbers made them the ideal AR units, thus why Italian Spear Militia, Armoured Sergeants, and Saracen Militia are the ideal AR units for Retrofit.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli

[This message has been edited by Kilij Ae Varyl (edited 04-29-2013 @ 07:38 PM).]

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 30 April 2013 13:20 EDT (US)     4 / 5       
WE surmised that Norway+England vs the three Celtic factions (Wales, Ireland, Scotland) is a good match-up.
Are you proposing fixed teams or advised allegiances? I quite like the intrigue of needing to work on diplomacy between players (not an issue yet on hotseat (2) due to the mod in use and stage of game I'd say, but hopefully it'll come into things later).

I'd be up for this either way
Myth_ORG
Legionary
posted 18 May 2013 02:15 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Kilij Ae Varyl that may be so. Wales usually gets obitheraded By England, but I'd really like to give them a try.

SwampRat: the problem is that by my experience, whomever allies with England wins.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames