You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.44 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Worst Starting Location?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Worst Starting Location?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Celer
Legionary
posted 05 February 2005 01:48 EDT (US)         
Which faction endures the worst starting location in the game do you think?

For instance, I think the Selucids starting locations suck. They are surrounded/faced all around by powerful enemies such as Eygpt etc.

Another bad starting location I think is the Senate. Straight inside the middle of Italy, surrounded by power hungry Roman Families ready to overthrow the Senates empire. (Of course, I don't play the Senate.)

So fellow Forumers which faction do you think start in the worst location possible?

AuthorReplies:
Mcbashin
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 05:11 EDT (US)     26 / 44       
Caralis? Only way to keep it realistically is to move your starting army there, and its just not worth it. I'd rather use that army to defeat the Scipii and threaten all of Italy.
Ferret
Legionary
(id: The_Ferret)
posted 06 February 2005 05:46 EDT (US)     27 / 44       
Caralis is Key. Trade is the sigle most valuable resourse in the game, and if you can hold caralis, soon it'll be pumping out mega denarii. Also, julii sends all its armies your way. Gaul attacks their weakened cities, one less enemy to worry about. Don't need the cities as they just lose money.

POSTER NUMBER ONE IN HOLY ROMAN PARTY XV
"Live forever, or die trying!"
TWH Baths Forumer of the Month - November 06
Mcbashin
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 06:00 EDT (US)     28 / 44       
Well I disagree, its not even close to key to me. Defeating Rome is key, and if I waste my army defending Caralis, I'm not going to have the opportunity to defeat Rome early.
smokey186
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 08:08 EDT (US)     29 / 44       
omg u guys 4got about the rebels!

they have the absolute WORST START IMANGINABLE!!!

"STRENGTH, AND HONOUR TO YOU ALL"
Elrond89
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 09:45 EDT (US)     30 / 44       
Caralis sucks...what are you high on? That little island, if good for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE, is an EXCELLENT little foothold for a carthaginian or even egyptian or rival roman to launch an attack directly on the city of Rome. You could quickly take rome by Sea or trudge through Julii and Brutii territory in the north.

Crusade! Our brothers in the East need out swords to subdue the Infidel! The Saracen defiles the Sepulchre and is at the gates of the Roman emperor!. Ride! Ride ye holy soldiers to Jerusalem! Byzantium calls for aid...Christ and the Virgin weep at the blood of martyrs spilled on holy pilgrimages! Crusade! -Medieval 2: Total War
Commisar Clark
posted 06 February 2005 10:14 EDT (US)     31 / 44       
Playing Selucids is insane!
You have no hills or mountain passes. You start with pathetic wooden walls.You have a good income but that's about it! Plus, everyone goes to war with you straight away, guaranteed!

The Mighty Pharaoh AKA Jonathon Clark
"Gods...I hate Gauls...My grandfather hated them too...Even before they put out his eyes..."
Ferret
Legionary
(id: The_Ferret)
posted 06 February 2005 10:57 EDT (US)     32 / 44       
Everyone does go to war, granted, but the seleucids O-W-N!

POSTER NUMBER ONE IN HOLY ROMAN PARTY XV
"Live forever, or die trying!"
TWH Baths Forumer of the Month - November 06
Themistocles472
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 13:14 EDT (US)     33 / 44       
The seleucids have a very poor start. They just do. All the reasons listed....milita hoplites/levy pikemen vs nile spearmen/desert axemen....not to mention parthians/pontus/armenia/greeks. I could ally with nobody as the Seleucids (vh/vh).

Whoever said that Carthage is in a position to sandwich the romans needs to rethink. I would hardly consider starting off in Corduba as a chance to come at them from behind. You'd have to, uh, go through most of Gaul first. As carthage I believe the key is taking sicily asap. When I played as them (m/m) I could not get an alliance with the greeks and I tried. It worked out though, I defeated the scipii rather quickly once I had sicily. I ended up wiping out every Roman faction awhile before I could win the campaign. The senate army will look mighty fierce that early in the game, but it was over at arretium helping the julii when Rome went down and I never had to raise a finger against the Roman army.

Saf
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 16:10 EDT (US)     34 / 44       
Hmm... Spain is pretty bad. Your settlements are all somewhat far apart, Gual is nearby, Carthage is nearby and Julii will sometimes boat over and start taking your settlements. Scythia is also pretty bad. REALLY spread out with lots of aggressive neighbours. And of course Gaul, you have Briton, Germania, Julii, Spain, Carthage, everyone coming for you!
redfalcon
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 20:31 EDT (US)     35 / 44       
carth is in a bad spot to begin with. all your settlements are spread farout and beginning trade is so weak you can barely fend off the constant roman attacks.

AKA p90pro, phairho, asparagus87.
Red Pig
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 21:23 EDT (US)     36 / 44       
The numidians are the worst. there cities are worlds away from each other. And they have the scipii on then.

Est Solaris Oth Mithas
Rookierookie
Banned
posted 06 February 2005 21:24 EDT (US)     37 / 44       
If you think Seleucids are bad, try building militia hoplites and forget about stone walls for the early game. In street fighting, hoplites pwn.
exe1
Legionary
posted 06 February 2005 22:58 EDT (US)     38 / 44       

Quote:

Whoever said that Carthage is in a position to sandwich the romans needs to rethink. I would hardly consider starting off in Corduba as a chance to come at them from behind. You'd have to, uh, go through most of Gaul first. As carthage I believe the key is taking sicily asap

Definatly take Sicily, the Scippi will be in trouble. But Corduba starts with a nice army. Build up and take Carthago Nova, this will delay Spain from getting Bull Warriors. After Sicily falls load up that spanish force on some boats and attack Northern Italy and Capua at the Same time. The Senate will only be able to defend one direction. Works especially well if there are Libyan Spearmen in The Army attacking Capua. Defeat the Brutii, give Appollonia to Greece in return for a cease fire and do what oyu want.

Back on topic, Scythia isn't too good, neither is Dacia. But I have to say Numidia. They can be done, but it is the hardest. Spain has good units so it can unite itself.

lee1026
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 01:03 EDT (US)     39 / 44       
I just don't get why people hate the Seleucids so much. I have never seen egypt take away one of my cities. I usually defend with 6 or so mitia hopites. Stand them on the streets and just wait for the egyptans to impale themselves on it. havn't failed yet.
Hikari
Legionary
(id: echowinds)
posted 07 February 2005 01:06 EDT (US)     40 / 44       
I wish you can play campaigh with another player, but that would be too long.

lee1026
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 01:21 EDT (US)     41 / 44       
I know. The AI is very stupid when it comes to sieges. Line up a few mitia hoplites in the streets and they impale themselves on it one cohort at a time. I wish that defending cities can be harder.
Musicholic
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 01:35 EDT (US)     42 / 44       
Carthage is pretty hard, and ya, dont even think about using Corduba as a back door. I've already conquered rome and my Iberian army just took out osca. It is much faster to go through Sicily. One thing i do do is mess around with the Scipii until they attack Syracuse so I can stay allied with the Greek Cities while taking all of Sicily.
Hikari
Legionary
(id: echowinds)
posted 07 February 2005 01:52 EDT (US)     43 / 44       
Yeah, I acatually have 0 progress in Spain until my army has already conquered Rome, Southern Gaul and taken Osca before I took Carthago Nova from Corduba.

exe1
Legionary
posted 07 February 2005 08:28 EDT (US)     44 / 44       
Use boats. The army in Spain is large, and therefore helpful. You will have a lot of trouble with the Brutii/Julli Bribing cities, it makes it go quicker
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames