Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Modifying Carthage
Bottom
Topic Subject:Modifying Carthage
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
(id: Night_Raider)
posted 08 May 2005 15:31 EDT (US)         
Okay, I'm done. Carthage SUCKS! (to put it nicely) They are utterly pitiful. Now, how can I make them better?

I've heard people say they've modified the files to make certain units avaliable earlier in the game (ie. iberin infantry at militia barracks) and that they've modified the temples so that they grant exp bonuses with each new level. Now, my question is this: I want to do this, but which files do I have to change?

(`._.[ .:^:. ]._.)
O.:.O
KaiserWinterfeldt O.:.O
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(`._.[ .::. ]._.)
(`.__.)
(v)
AuthorReplies:
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08 May 2005 18:45 EDT (US)     1 / 47       
export_descr_buildings.txt states where each unit can be recruited, and export_descr_units.txt states the stats of each unit.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
doitzelkaiseriii
Legionary
posted 08 May 2005 18:55 EDT (US)     2 / 47       
Be careful of spelling, and make sure you keep everything in perfect order. An extra space could result in the game not working, so make sure you back-up, too. And Iberians are already available at the militia barracks Also, you should give their infantry experience bonuses each time the barracks upgrades. It keeps their army versatile throughout the game.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08 May 2005 18:57 EDT (US)     3 / 47       
Back Up Your Files First! The most important thing.

I think you should give Libyans Phalanx.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 08 May 2005 19:05 EDT (US)     4 / 47       
To do the Carthage mod you'll only need the export_descr_buildings file.

Scroll down to the barracks buildings (it's fairly early on) and copy the line from militia barracks that says recruit "carthaginian infantry" 0 requires factions { carthage, } Then scroll back up to basic barracks and insert it into the list there. Go back up the list and do the same for the libyans and poeni infantry. To add exp to units at a higher barracks level you change the '0' to a '1'.

Then you go to city barracks and add a new line to the list. recruit "merc spanish infantry" 0 requires factions { carthage, } Remember to add it in at the next level up as well. Do the same with numidian mercs and balearic slingers in the relevant buildings.

To do the temple bonus you scroll right down to near the bottom of the list and look for the temple of justice. here you add a line recruits_exp_bonus bonus 1 You obviously just increase the number to boost the bonus. You'll be able to copy and paste any bonus you want from the other temples. One thing to remember is if you're going to do this you should make sure you remove Egypt from the requires factions list, they have quite enough advantages as it is.

"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side ? and ain't that a big enough majority in any town ?" - Huckleberry Finn
doitzelkaiseriii
Legionary
posted 08 May 2005 19:22 EDT (US)     5 / 47       

Quote:

I think you should give Libyans Phalanx.

That would make them Poeni Infantry with different stats. They use the same model (I think). And that kinda ruins the fun of PLAYING as Carthage. It might make them do a bit better under the AI, but I'm not exactly sure.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
ttnguyen05
Legionary
posted 08 May 2005 19:27 EDT (US)     6 / 47       
It doesn't matter how you adjust the infantry settings. Even with beaurocrat Caesar, Carthage will spam Libyan Spearmen and iberian infantry even with the option to produce poenis and sacred bands. It must be hard-coded that they prefer light troops, as I see them producing skirmishers and iberian infantry even with a level 5 city. I wish I could force them to produce only poenis for their center but alas my modding skills aren't that good. I take away iberian inf and Libyans Carthage just produces town milita .

[This message has been edited by ttnguyen05 (edited 05-08-2005 @ 07:27 PM).]

Silencio
Legionary
posted 09 May 2005 01:32 EDT (US)     7 / 47       
Why not also make the Iberians a decent mellee infantry. After all, those guys were famous for their swordplay. Even the Romans took a lot from them.

For the rest I agree - I also decided to give them a chance. Playing as Greece I took out the Scipii and left Carthage alone. They did nothing - could not even win against Numidia. As the Scipii - I also left them alone. Guess what - their cities revolted - all of them at once. It seems they are programmed to loose.

ttnguyen05
Legionary
posted 09 May 2005 01:49 EDT (US)     8 / 47       
Excellent idea Silencio! I'm going to buff up the Iberian Infantry's stats since Carthage uses them in large numbers. I feel the Iberians and Carthaginians gets short-changed on their starting infantry when compared to hastati and I'll try to make it more equitable.
Silencio
Legionary
posted 09 May 2005 01:54 EDT (US)     9 / 47       
Great. BTW, the Lybian infantry was heavy, spear and Long Sword armed. Those guys smashed the Roman flanks at Cannae, not to mention a few other cases. And in RTW they are just pathetic.
beekay
Legionary
(id: black_knight_101)
posted 09 May 2005 02:35 EDT (US)     10 / 47       

Quote:

Guess what - their cities revolted - all of them at once.

All their family members died, but you didn't kill them.

sig
ttnguyen05
Legionary
posted 09 May 2005 03:00 EDT (US)     11 / 47       
Stat mods so far:

1. Added archers to the Carthage lineup and boosted attack to 8
2. Buffed up Iberians with a higher attack (8 attack), defense (6 defense skill), and morale (level 5 morale).
3. Boosted range and attack of peltasts (range 120 attack of 8)
4. Boosted range and attack of slingers (range 120 attack of 10)
5. Buffed up Libyan spearmen with higher attack (7 attack)and better morale (level 7 morale).

I also went ahead and buffed up principes too, since they only got an extra 2 defense over hastati. I gave them +1 to attack to 12 for pilum and 8 for sword. I also gave them a boost of morale to level 8. I also took away all their velites at the start and cut their starting fund from 5000 to 2500 denarii. That should make things interesting and give Carthage a solid chance at winning the Sicilian wars.

BTW, I wish I knew about how easy it is to mod this game. I would have started modding a long time ago!

[This message has been edited by ttnguyen05 (edited 05-09-2005 @ 03:04 AM).]

yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09 May 2005 03:44 EDT (US)     12 / 47       

Quote:

Boosted range and attack of peltasts (range 120 attack of 8)

Reraly? They can throw a javelin 120 m?

My argument for Libyans is that they are meant to be rather weak, and will still lose in melee as they are cheaper, but they will be able to form a phalanx, which gives them a hell of a lot more power against a human. Phalanxes need flanking, and can't just be beaten by throwing pila and charging into the front with Hastati. Buffing the stats will help though.

I am also trying reducing the populaion in all cities from the start. This should benefit the factions with more starting terretories, with the exception of Egypt, who I have been ruthless with. That way, every faction starts off in financial trouble. I am trying to give Carthage some Libyans at the start too, but am having some trouble with it not working.

ttnguyen05
Legionary
posted 09 May 2005 03:58 EDT (US)     13 / 47       
Haha okay I'll cut it down to 80, but I think 80 is the limit. A peltast with a range of 50 is worthless.
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09 May 2005 04:38 EDT (US)     14 / 47       
That's still an Olympic distance. 50 metres was pushing it really. Their javelins are heavier and less aerodynamic than Olympic ones.

Rookierookie
Banned
posted 09 May 2005 04:47 EDT (US)     15 / 47       
Peltasts shouldn't have the range of slingers. And principes already have better discipline than Hastati, so they didn't need the +2 morale.
ttnguyen05
Legionary
posted 09 May 2005 11:07 EDT (US)     16 / 47       
Alright, the peltasts' range should be reduced back to 50 but the attack needs to be higher to compensate. Perhaps an attack of 8 would be fair.

[This message has been edited by ttnguyen05 (edited 05-09-2005 @ 11:07 AM).]

StaggDude
Legionary
posted 09 May 2005 12:02 EDT (US)     17 / 47       
peltasts are useless.
buff up the slinger stats instead.
Splinter Cell
Legionary
posted 09 May 2005 12:25 EDT (US)     18 / 47       
Peltasts are useless indeed, but the barbarian Skirmisher Warband, esp the German ones, can kick Principe (and sometimes better infantry) with the temple to Woden (+exp points). My Skirmisher Warbands have an attack of 12, which is pretty good against non Marius units.

About the Iberian Infantry, their unit information says that they are the "steady" backbone of a Carthage's/Spain's armies. Steady infantry my ass. They run at the first sight of an enemy. But i must say, Iberian Infantry deployed by Carthage have nice looking shields. The Iberian Infantry of Spain are better because they can become warcrying retards. Perhaps i will mod them too...after all, they should be the "steady" backbone of Carthage and Spain.

SC

Dont be an Onager, use one instead.

"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?"- Joseph Stalin

Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 09 May 2005 13:16 EDT (US)     19 / 47       
The problem with giving Libyans phalanx ability, I think, is that it reduces the diversity of the Carthaginian army, which is one of the cool things about it. At the moment they have a mix of melee infantry, normal spearmen and decent phalanx spearmen. Add in the most versatile selection of cavalry in the game and those mercenaries and you get a very diverse army, Giving Libyans phalanx ability would just make them into a poor man's Poeni Infantry, and if you make Poeni's available at city barracks level then Carthage can be turning them out inside the first 10 turns anyway. Libyan's would become completely redundant units.

I changed the elite slingers to give them a range of 140 (I think) and I gave them AP. This means that their range is still a bit less than elite archers and they still have the problem of the flatter trajectory, but they can do a lot of damage and they can get more volleys in before they get closed down.

Instead of buffing the Iberian Infantry just make Spanish Mercs available. These have a higher attack but lower defence than Hastati. Pretty comparable units, especially if you give them a buffing bonus by modding the Baal temple. They get beaten by Principes, but as Carthage you'll be using them mainly as support troops anyway.

One thing I'm thinking about doing is improving the Numidian Cavalry. By all accounts they were some of the best cavalry in the world at the time but they are comparatively weak in RTW. They need better melee stats. This would also make there a point to building them. Even when I play as Numidia I tend not to bother with them once camel riders become available.

"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side ? and ain't that a big enough majority in any town ?" - Huckleberry Finn
SpitfulPig
Legionary
(id: butcher003)
posted 09 May 2005 13:36 EDT (US)     20 / 47       
Do buff up iberian infantry, they are the backbone of cartahges army they should beet Hastati in melee easily and hold there own against principes.

"If you find yourself riding alone through open fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled for you are in Elysium and you are already dead!"- "The Spaniard" - Gladiator
"There are three ways to defeat your enemy, the first and most obvious is to defeat him by trial of force, the second is to destroy him from within, the third and easiest is to push onto a course of self destruction."-Sun Tzu
HG Singles Tourney 2nd Place 2005
Zygodactyl
Legionary
posted 09 May 2005 14:39 EDT (US)     21 / 47       
Does the AI recruit cheaper units more, or is it based on the level of building? You could try swapping round the prices of units to see if the AI goes for high end units more.

Oopsey daisy, dowsed in flames survive....

www.maniacproductions.co.uk

Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 09 May 2005 16:12 EDT (US)     22 / 47       
I can't say I've noticed it. I think it may be that Carthage is more inclined to prioritise economic improvements over military ones, so they take ages to upgrade their capabilities.

shaio
Legionary
posted 09 May 2005 16:16 EDT (US)     23 / 47       
change ai to fortified stalin. heavy inf and mass troops.
( thou on lower diffs it might be better to put trader instead of fortifed or they might end up broke.)
maybe carthage is just hard coded to suck.

add this in diplomacy section.

faction_relationships greek_cities, at_war_with romans_julii, romans_scipii, romans_senate
faction_relationships carthage, at_war_with romans_julii, romans_scipii, romans_senate
faction_relationships carthage, allied_to greek_cities
faction_relationships greek_cities, allied_to carthage

carthage wont ever win fight in sicily, but with this they wont push the greeks off it so the greeks will tie up the romans there for a long time.

alternately you could also make it so the civil war starts right at start of game with this line.

faction_relationships romans_senate, at_war_with romans_julii, romans_scipii, romans_brutii

but even after all that carthage will lose sicily.

[This message has been edited by shaio (edited 05-09-2005 @ 04:25 PM).]

SpitfulPig
Legionary
(id: butcher003)
posted 09 May 2005 17:07 EDT (US)     24 / 47       
Maybe we should damage Lilybeaum and just make cartahge have ahuge empire elsewhee, or even get rid of the Scippi all together? GIve Cartahge Messana and give (Capua and Croton if you play Mundus Magnus like me) to the rebesl and leave them to the senate stack, massively mnnerf down and with huge nuimbers of rebels inside, see what that does to the senate army?

"If you find yourself riding alone through open fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled for you are in Elysium and you are already dead!"- "The Spaniard" - Gladiator
"There are three ways to defeat your enemy, the first and most obvious is to defeat him by trial of force, the second is to destroy him from within, the third and easiest is to push onto a course of self destruction."-Sun Tzu
HG Singles Tourney 2nd Place 2005
Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 09 May 2005 19:20 EDT (US)     25 / 47       
Do you have to start the game with a set number of factions, or could you get rid of every roman faction except the Julii and have a unified Rome that's red ?

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames