Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Modifying Carthage
Bottom
Topic Subject:Modifying Carthage
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
(id: Night_Raider)
posted 08 May 2005 15:31 EDT (US)         
Okay, I'm done. Carthage SUCKS! (to put it nicely) They are utterly pitiful. Now, how can I make them better?

I've heard people say they've modified the files to make certain units avaliable earlier in the game (ie. iberin infantry at militia barracks) and that they've modified the temples so that they grant exp bonuses with each new level. Now, my question is this: I want to do this, but which files do I have to change?

(―`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•΄―)
¨‘°ΊO.:.OΊ°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ΊO.:.OΊ°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(―`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•΄―)
(―`•.__.•΄―)
(―v―)
AuthorReplies:
doitzelkaiseriii
Legionary
posted 09 May 2005 19:22 EDT (US)     26 / 47       
I think you CAN do that, actually. I don't know how, though. But I know there's a limit on how many factions you can have, and that you can't add any without removing any.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 09 May 2005 19:40 EDT (US)     27 / 47       
Come to think about it, they did it in rtr. I suppose you just remove all their provinces and give them to somebody else. I think I might try that.

"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side ? and ain't that a big enough majority in any town ?" - Huckleberry Finn
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09 May 2005 19:52 EDT (US)     28 / 47       
I don't think you can win though if the Senate aren't there at the start.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 09 May 2005 20:45 EDT (US)     29 / 47       
You must be able to, they did it in rtr.

"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side ? and ain't that a big enough majority in any town ?" - Huckleberry Finn
SpitfulPig
Legionary
(id: butcher003)
posted 10 May 2005 14:38 EDT (US)     30 / 47       
YEs that will owrk tehy get wiped out on the first turn if you take away all there provinces, it might be a good idea to get rid of that army as well otherwise you have a huge rebel army in ITaly,

"If you find yourself riding alone through open fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled for you are in Elysium and you are already dead!"- "The Spaniard" - Gladiator
"There are three ways to defeat your enemy, the first and most obvious is to defeat him by trial of force, the second is to destroy him from within, the third and easiest is to push onto a course of self destruction."-Sun Tzu
HG Singles Tourney 2nd Place 2005
Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 10 May 2005 14:53 EDT (US)     31 / 47       
Actually, what would be wicked is to remove every Roman faction except the Senate. Then you could start off with Rome and have to conquer the rest of Italy before deciding where to go next. It would be great fun and it would also seriously slow down the development of the Romans, giving other factions a chance to grow strong.

KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 18:13 EDT (US)     32 / 47       
Okay, I'm not going to say I'm computerly inept (because I'm not ) but would someone who has a lot of time on their hands mind just making a mod for me? thnx in advance. All I'd like is for each unit to be avaliable 1 settlement size earlier, and for each temple to give a +1 exp bonus for each settlement level increased (It would be cumulitive, whereas a shrine would be give +1, the next level +2 and so on)

Thnx in advance

(―`•.__.•΄―)
(―v―)
Silencio
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 18:57 EDT (US)     33 / 47       
Night_Raider, there seem to be a couple of good Carthage mods on the other RTW forums (including buildings, units, skins, etc). Why don't you check them out. I might be quicker for you.

Oh, and if you find a good one, do not forget to tell us how it worked.

KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 19:17 EDT (US)     34 / 47       
Ok, well I'm searching right now, I just wanted to know if the option was open should I not find what I'm looking for

EDIT: Wow, that was quick, I think I've already found something. Check out the screen shots, I like the new units, and I especially like how the mercs all have diff uniforms (all mercs didn't where green ). My only worry is how it would fit in with the rest of the game. I know I sound...whats the word? but I just want to make carthage more of an opposition, or make them stronger when Im playing them.

Your thoughts Silencio?

(―`•.__.•΄―)
(―v―)

[This message has been edited by Night_Raider (edited 05-19-2005 @ 07:21 PM).]

Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 19 May 2005 20:07 EDT (US)     35 / 47       

Quote:

All I'd like is for each unit to be avaliable 1 settlement size earlier, and for each temple to give a +1 exp bonus for each settlement level increased (It would be cumulitive, whereas a shrine would be give +1, the next level +2 and so on)

Honestly dude, that's a piece of piss. Even I managed to work it out for myself and I'm absolutely hopeless with anything technical. What you do is this :

For the temple bonus you go into your export_descr_buildings file and scroll right down to near the bottom until you find the temple of justice. You'll see that there's a number of features listed for each building level. All you have to do is add this line -
recruits_exp_bonus bonus 1

Then you move down to the next level up and change the 1 to a 2 and so on. It couldn't be simpler. Just make sure that everything is in lower case and that any spaces, commas etc are exactly the same as similsr lines of text in other buildings.

For the unit recruitment scroll back up to the top of the list and find the barracks buildings. What you'll need to do is find the line in the militia barracks that reads -
recruit "carthaginian infantry" 0 requires factions { carthage, }

This is your iberian infantry. Just copy this line and paste it into the basic barracks. Then scroll back to the militia barracks and change the 0 to a 1, and so on up the different building levels. The number represents the free exp. You repeat the process for the libyans (which are called carthaginian medium infantry) and the poenis (carthaginian heavy infantry).

If you want to make mercenaries recruitable you type in certain lines that are similar. For example, if you want to make spanish mercs available you pick the barracks level you want to make them available from and type -
recruit "merc spanish infantry" 0 requires factions {carthage, }.

If you want to find out the correct unit terminology you open the export_descr_units file and scroll down until you find them. The mercs are all at the bottom of the list.

It should take you no more than 10 minutes.

KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 22:25 EDT (US)     36 / 47       
Well, I just made the changes, and so far, the game started

As soon as the campaign started, I checked out Carthage, and at the militia barracks, I can recruit Iberian infantry (exp +1), Libyan Spearmen, and Spanish mercs, right off the bat! Also it appears my temple changes have worked! Thank you Sassenach! And thank you to all others who've helped me through this long and tiring mission to edit Carthage!

*loud cheers and roars erupt from the crowd*

And Now! I begin a Carthage campaign

*OoOoOoHhHhHh!!! AaAaAaAaHhHhHhHh!!!*

Now I just need to figure out what to do with those damn Scipii

(―`•.__.•΄―)
(―v―)
Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 20 May 2005 03:09 EDT (US)     37 / 47       
A couple of things I forgot. Now that you've modded the temple you'll want to make sure Egypt doesn't get to use it too. Go back in in delete them from the requires factions box for each level of temple, otherwise they'll be turning out super buffed units too.

Also, with the mercs, make sure you copy the line that enables you to recruit them into the higher level barracks as well.

KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 08:57 EDT (US)     38 / 47       
Oh wow, yea, I'd want to do that, Egypt is powerful enough as it is...but what about their temple of justice? would they still get the original benefits?

(―`•.__.•΄―)
(―v―)
NAFPAKTIUS II
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 10:33 EDT (US)     39 / 47       
Just download the SPQR 3.0 mod over at TW center forums. Carthage has been redone to compete with the Romans. I am currently playing a camapaign as them, it's pretty sweet.
Silencio
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 13:14 EDT (US)     40 / 47       
And justice shall be done. Amen.
Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 20 May 2005 13:23 EDT (US)     41 / 47       

Quote:

Oh wow, yea, I'd want to do that, Egypt is powerful enough as it is...but what about their temple of justice? would they still get the original benefits?

They wouldn't get a temple of justice at all. It doesn't really affect them too much as they have another temple that's virtually identical anyway. You'll also find that the temple of Esus that Spain and Gaul get will now have the same bonus as well. This means buffed up Bull Warriors for the Spanish and buffed up Druids for the Gauls.

NA Lord Blaine
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 15:11 EDT (US)     42 / 47       
i like carth capmaign, just make sure u allie with roamns (All of them) so u can avoid war untill u have numidia and spain, then u should be able to attack rome, then i went on to gaul-britan-germania-dacia-macedon
it was a nice long campaingn.

––––––––––•(-• ₤ o r d B l a i n Ʃ •-)•––––––––––
RTWH | ETWH | OD [ Hark Upon the Gale ] [―――――]†λ†[―――――]
«Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.»
~Albert Einstein
SpitfulPig
Legionary
(id: butcher003)
posted 20 May 2005 16:03 EDT (US)     43 / 47       
Swap the Carthage and Egypt Ais over by swapping teh factions aroud so that the Egypt faction is very defensive while carthage is agressio

"If you find yourself riding alone through open fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled for you are in Elysium and you are already dead!"- "The Spaniard" - Gladiator
"There are three ways to defeat your enemy, the first and most obvious is to defeat him by trial of force, the second is to destroy him from within, the third and easiest is to push onto a course of self destruction."-Sun Tzu
HG Singles Tourney 2nd Place 2005
KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 17:13 EDT (US)     44 / 47       
Ok, Im gonna take care of egypt, but Im gonna leave Spain and Gaul alone, given they're barbarians I don't think they are strong enough...

btw, I can't find the SPQR 3.0 mod at TWC, where is it?

EDIT: Okay, scratch that, Gaul just MASSACRED a half stack of my carthaginian army in a siege battle in Spain (I'm allied with the Spanish). My only fear is that Gaul and Spain, upon my removing of their temples, would become too weak.

EDIT (AGAIN): Okay, now I'm in the process of modding Egypt from the Justice temples, but under the last level it says temple_of_justice_pantheon requires factions { egyptian, }

That's all well and good, but not thinking before, I put recruits_exp_bonus bonus 4, now, I does Carthage get that high level of temples? (I don't think they do) what would removing the "egyptian" part do, or should I just go back and erase the recruit_exp_bonus bonus 4?

(―`•.__.•΄―)
(―v―)

[This message has been edited by Night_Raider (edited 05-20-2005 @ 06:21 PM).]

Sassenach
Tribunus Militum
posted 20 May 2005 19:28 EDT (US)     45 / 47       
Removing the temple from the Gauls wouldn't really weaken them at all. They get the same level of bonus from the Epona temple anyway. But equally, there's no point in removing it from them either for the same reason. But if you do remove it you'll need to make druids recruitable from a different type of temple. The same goes double for Spain, who'd lose their bull warriors (the only decent unit they have). I say let them keep the bonus, what harm does it do ?

As for the pantheon, Carthage can't build up to that level anyway so it makes no difference. You could leave it alone if you want. That would mean that Egypt can still build a pantheon of justice but they'd have to conquer a city that already had an awesome temple of Baal before they could upgrade, and what are the chances of that ? Alternatively you could remove them from that option as well and make it so nobody can build up to that level. It makes no difference so far as I can see as it's extremely unlikely they'll ever get the chance to build one anyway.

KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 22:07 EDT (US)     46 / 47       
Yea, your right. Looking back, I knew I shouldn't have stacked up on Iberian Infantry.

(―`•.__.•΄―)
(―v―)
smoothdragon
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 22:18 EDT (US)     47 / 47       
My Version 1.2 Carthage is so badass it repels Scipii nearly every time and the last 3 campaigns the Scipii have decided that Greece is an easier target. I've also made a number of changes that makes the game more enjoyable in the late-game phase, such as making all units (except elephants and chariots) 1 turn and the removal of shrine requirements for such awesome units like sacred bands and Night Raiders. In my latest build, I have removed Marius as a unit requirement so you get access to Marius units along side pre-Marius units. Imagine the battles I fight!

Formally known as ttnguyen05
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames