You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.25 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Has anyoone seen historical people appear in RTW
Bottom
Topic Subject:Has anyoone seen historical people appear in RTW
roman_power
Legionary
posted 17 May 2005 14:24 EDT (US)         
I was wondering if Ceaser will ever show up. If he does I imagine it will be with the Julii. Has anyone ever seen any historical people other then Ceaser?
AuthorReplies:
English Patriot
Banned
posted 17 May 2005 14:32 EDT (US)     1 / 25       
Caesar is Gaius Julius. One of the first Generals in Julli Campaign.

Historical Battles feature some.

GLORYOFSPARTA
Seraph (in absentia)
posted 17 May 2005 15:17 EDT (US)     2 / 25       
I found Hasdrubal the other night.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
doitzelkaiseriii
Legionary
posted 17 May 2005 15:19 EDT (US)     3 / 25       

He came 13 years early I think, but oh well. Doesn't have much of Hannibal's character either.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
scipio_africanus
Legionary
posted 17 May 2005 15:27 EDT (US)     4 / 25       
I had a Gaius Julius once. He was an amazing general , but was bribed by the brutii

///scipio_africanus\\\
"Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
"I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
"posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 17 May 2005 15:31 EDT (US)     5 / 25       
Personal opinion, but if someone was a little mad, then I'd find it easier to bribe them. A crate of voles perhaps?

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
Commisar Clark
posted 18 May 2005 08:03 EDT (US)     6 / 25       
I had cleopatra as a wife to Kiya, the first Egyptian general. I also had Gaius Julius and Hannibal.

The Mighty Pharaoh AKA Jonathon Clark
"Gods...I hate Gauls...My grandfather hated them too...Even before they put out his eyes..."
Tipsu
Legionary
posted 18 May 2005 08:55 EDT (US)     7 / 25       
I've had Gaius Julius, Cleopatra, Boudicca, and Hasdrubal.

OBLIVION
MisplacedPope
Legionary
(id: misplacedgeneral)
posted 18 May 2005 14:45 EDT (US)     8 / 25       
HANNO and HASDRUBAL start for the carthaginians
superdroideka
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 14:02 EDT (US)     9 / 25       
The Pontic faction leader and his son are historical character too. But they lived 200 years later.

SUPERDROIDEKA
Julius Seizure
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 16:20 EDT (US)     10 / 25       
I've had Vercingetorix crop up as faction leader for the Gauls.
SovietAK47
Legionary
posted 19 May 2005 17:57 EDT (US)     11 / 25       
I had Spartocus...as the Pontics...and he was a "drunk" who was "hiding from the world." I also had an Alexander...of course he was out of place...
All the starting faction leaders at the beginning of each campaign for each faction are the real ones, or the ones I have played as are.

"The answer to the Great Question...'
'Of Life, the Universe and Everything...' said Deep Thought.
'Is...' said Deep Thought, and paused.
'Is...'
'Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm." - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
"Don't Panic." - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Temur
HG Alumnus
(id: Gaiseric)
posted 20 May 2005 08:56 EDT (US)     12 / 25       
In one of my current campaigns as Gaul, I have Brennus (of historical "Vae victis" fame) as faction leader.

"War does not decide who is right... only who is left." -Bertrand Russell
Celer
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 10:48 EDT (US)     13 / 25       
I always have this julian captain named as Captian Augustus when I'm playing a campagin against the Julii. He always get killed/
sylvanllewelyn
Legionary
posted 20 May 2005 23:49 EDT (US)     14 / 25       
I think those historically accurate characters are retinues. Right now I have a poet that translates Greek poetry into Latin, and the description says something like one day he might write his own works. The name of the retinue is two words, each with capital letters, so I think it's a historical character, I don't know. I've only had this one though.

I think a lot of those starting faction leaders have very low degrees of accuracy. First of all, not all of those factions even have surviving records of who was in charge then. Secondly, if there were, those records might have a Roman bias to them, like Latinized names and stuff. Hell, for factions in the Eastern part of the map, I wouldn't be surprised if they just used random names in the Middle East because most of it's European-American audience will not have a bloody clue what names were there in those regions at 270 B.C.!!!!!!!

KaiserWinterfeldt
Legionary
(id: Night_Raider)
posted 21 May 2005 08:56 EDT (US)     15 / 25       
You've got a point. And you have to think, esp. in the Roman factions, names like Gaius Julius were actually fairly common.

(Ż`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´Ż)
¨‘°şO.:.Oş°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°şO.:.Oş°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(Ż`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´Ż)
(Ż`•.__.•´Ż)
(ŻvŻ)
Primus Pilus
Legionary
posted 23 May 2005 04:04 EDT (US)     16 / 25       

Sylvanllewelyn is right, the only "historically accurate" characters are retinues. I got Archimedes once, and there are lots of others.

The names of faction members are "drawn" from a pool. Any coincidences with historic figures are pure luck, as their abilities and dates of birth are random.

P.P.

von Nelson
Legionary
(id: General_Nelson)
posted 23 May 2005 04:25 EDT (US)     17 / 25       

Quote:

I have Brennus (of historical "Vae victis" fame) as faction leader

you start off with him as faction leader

Quote:

I had a Gaius Julius once. He was an amazing general , but was bribed by the brutii

you start off with Gaius Julius in the Julii campaign

< Jarrod Nelson>
Nelson looks good in his pics - Gaurdian_112
Wow, Nelson's awfully cute... - HP Lovesauce
Thanks for ruining something that I've waited over 6 years for. - Redneck93
It might be a bit of an odd moment to say so, but I still think Nelson's smile is awesome. - Hnossa
THIS SIGNATURE IS A TESTAMENT TO MY VANITY
doitzelkaiseriii
Legionary
posted 23 May 2005 04:43 EDT (US)     18 / 25       

Quote:

The names of faction members are "drawn" from a pool. Any coincidences with historic figures are pure luck, as their abilities and dates of birth are random.

We know, but that doesn't mean it's any less cool to march into battle with a general named 'Hannibal'!

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Sjonnie
Legionary
posted 23 May 2005 10:05 EDT (US)     19 / 25       
I once had a Spartacus rebel general in Thrace.

"One day, my quotes will stand in signatures"
Sjonnie

Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi

Loegaire
OD Core Group
(id: Lord Ap Hywell)
posted 23 May 2005 13:01 EDT (US)     20 / 25       

Quote:

The Pontic faction leader and his son are historical character too. But they lived 200 years later.

Mithridates and Pharnaces, right?

I can't say I've gotten any famous generals or leaders as the Scipii.

On the individual level the response may appear to be a fiction, but fiction in a wider cultural context has a way of appearing to be true.
Sleeper2
Legionary
posted 23 May 2005 21:12 EDT (US)     21 / 25       
for you all who have the chars with the horrable traits that are nothing like the real characters were.. you NEED to read the long thread on generals traits, and take his advice to the xtreme. i do.. and my generals NEVER look anything like those horrable ones. they did once, but that was before i heeded the advice of that thread. basically all generals get only sometimes 1, and even more rare-2 bad traits at most. and even then you know EXACTLY where you went wrong when you caused it. i don't know what the hell's going on. nm this post it's totally uselsee
axel nuget
Legionary
posted 26 May 2005 16:36 EDT (US)     22 / 25       
doizelkaizerIII(spelled right?)i hadhannibal and hil real charecter.but he was 45. you have 1.2 or 0.1?

(\_/)
(O.o)
(>< ) this is bunny. copy bunny on to your signature to help him to world domination!

MONKEYS RIDING FLIYING PIGS WILL DOMINATE THE WORLD ON 2007!- Axel nuget (me)

NA Lord Blaine
Legionary
posted 26 May 2005 17:07 EDT (US)     23 / 25       
is it possible to create new chracter names by modding?

––––––––––•(-• ₤ o r d B l a i n Ʃ •-)•––––––––––
RTWH | ETWH | OD [ Hark Upon the Gale ] [ŻŻŻŻŻ]†λ†[ŻŻŻŻŻ]
ĞPeace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.ğ
~Albert Einstein
Tarototh
Legionary
posted 05 June 2019 04:39 EDT (US)     24 / 25       
Gaul general Vercingetorix is always in the Gaul forces when I am fighting them as Roman. He was one of *the* key leaders in real life.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 05 June 2019 13:06 EDT (US)     25 / 25       
He was a chariasmatic guy, but not much of a general to let himself get penned in and starved into submission.

First rule of fighting Romans in real life: do not let them dig. Their shovels are often more effective than their swords and pila.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames