You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.48 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » REVIEW: 77 BC, Twighlight of the Republic
Bottom
Topic Subject:REVIEW: 77 BC, Twighlight of the Republic
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
MisplacedPope
Legionary
(id: misplacedgeneral)
posted 02 March 2007 09:42 EDT (US)         
Hello all, I am doing a review for the mod 77 BC, Twighlight of the Republic. for more information, look to this thread http://forums.totalrealism.net/showthread.php?t=2047and this forum http://forums.totalrealism.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10

The game is well worth the download. For all those who wanted to get to using the Marius units in RTR and RTW, this is your mod. The best part is that it incoporates many of the changes in RTR. Great graphics, good game-play, and a terrific time-period.

I can answer any questions you may have about the mod, though for installation problems, I suggest you sign up at totalrealism.net The best thing is that the modder over there, Salvorhadin, is extremely help-ful.

Though Roman players, be aware, Italy and Greece are gutted (5/6 of the buildings need repairs) due to the Marian and Sullan wars.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
AuthorReplies:
MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 03 March 2007 22:50 EDT (US)     26 / 48       
Those who have downloaded nad played this mod, may you please state your thoughts here, whats good about the game, what needs work, etc.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
Carthage
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 04:41 EDT (US)     27 / 48       
I dont think its so much a fix but an alteration to the file (it's in the hotfix download).

Carthage
And beyond, green fields under a swift sunrise
Oh well, thats not so bad, is it?
No, no it's not

Proud joint winner of the M2TWH Saladin award
MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 05:30 EDT (US)     28 / 48       
oh, didn't know that.

Is the game still working?

Carthage
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 05:44 EDT (US)     29 / 48       
Yeah, the game works fine, but I just wasn't sure what this part of the hotfix altered.

Carthage
No, no it's not

Carthage
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 06:56 EDT (US)     30 / 48       
Just had the Bithyian Bequest event but I can't work out which settlement I should have bean given, I presume it's one in Turkey or close to Turkey but I can't see anything :s

Oops double post.

Carthage
No, no it's not

[This message has been edited by Carthage (edited 03-04-2007 @ 06:56 AM).]

MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 11:09 EDT (US)     31 / 48       
Yep, the oen near Turkey (I got ripped off because that was the year where my seige of it ended, ironic, no?)

Carthage
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 12:00 EDT (US)     32 / 48       
Haha, pretty unlucky

Carthage
No, no it's not

Stormraider
Tribunus Militum
posted 04 March 2007 13:43 EDT (US)     33 / 48       
Other than a few "not as pretty as I'd like" issues, thus far I'd say it's the best mod I've played. I really like the directions and missions as Rome, and the scripted events are awesome.

"we have an agenda, a character assassination agenda, assassinating characters is what we do for a living" - Sukkit
Carthage
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 15:04 EDT (US)     34 / 48       
I'm at 72BC now in an S.P.Q.R campaign, I got a message talking about unrest and gladiator schools in 73BC so I assumed that Spartacus would appear anytime now, a few turns on and i'm still not seeing any huge rebel armies?

Carthage
No, no it's not

MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 17:15 EDT (US)     35 / 48       
Not sure, I'm near the point where it should occur too.

Stormraider
Tribunus Militum
posted 04 March 2007 18:14 EDT (US)     36 / 48       
Iberian Peninsula is almost entirely mine, now. Expanding into Dacia and Breuci territory as well as the Dacians joined the growing list of nations to attack me. Allied with the Celts, who will hold the North for me.

Just got a mission to start attacking Pontos, so I'm sweeping them back currently. Heraklia, Ancyra, and soon Sinope are mine, and over 3000 Pontics are dead. Their remaining Western Armies are fleeing East as their numbers are too small to challenge my two forces of Fimbrian Legions, Cohorts Legionarius, and local Mercs. Almost all of Western Asia Minor is under my control, and I'll be driving through to the Armenian capital soon.

That'll teach those arrogant Eastern bastards.

"we have an agenda, a character assassination agenda, assassinating characters is what we do for a living" - Sukkit
MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 18:22 EDT (US)     37 / 48       
I attacked Pontus rather quickly in my game. Around 75 BC I sent an army to the Crimea, where it took the Eastern-most city. Lucullus, the Fimbrian legions, some cavalry and archers and some regular cohorts, have destroyed the two largest Pontic armies, and are about to besiege the capitol. My Crimean army is now marching against the other city.

In Spain, I have all but Osca, and Valentia (I think that is the name, Stonewalled city to the North) and the center city. Sertorius is dead, and Pompey is about to engage the large army which Sertorius commanded int he beginning (he seperated himself after a few years of me stalking him)

Stormraider
Tribunus Militum
posted 04 March 2007 21:29 EDT (US)     38 / 48       
I've found the battles to be almost ridiculously easy, as the Roman Legions are vastly superior to anything I've faced, yet.

I suppose, however, that this is accurate. Right now my largest problem is simply attrition.

MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 04 March 2007 21:37 EDT (US)     39 / 48       
After the SPQR campaign, who do you plan to be (should make for a greater challaneg)

I've been looking at Pontus/Armenia, Sertorius, Dacii, pr the Jews or Nabaatae

Stormraider
Tribunus Militum
posted 04 March 2007 21:42 EDT (US)     40 / 48       
Being a Celtophile, I'll likely start with the Arvernes (or whichever tribe represents the Celts).

Alternatively, I might need a break from Western-Style warfare, so I was thinking the Jews or Parthians. The Parthians seem rather powerful in this mod, and hopefully they'll be more fun to play than in Vanilla RTW.

Mauritania is also an option.

[This message has been edited by Stormraider (edited 03-04-2007 @ 09:43 PM).]

Carthage
Legionary
posted 05 March 2007 04:27 EDT (US)     41 / 48       
I'm thinking oftrying out Sertorious, but Parthia is a hot favourite.

Carthage
No, no it's not

Stormraider
Tribunus Militum
posted 05 March 2007 17:30 EDT (US)     42 / 48       
Pontus is all but destroyed, Mithridates lies dead, and I'm knifing towards the Armenian capital. Macedon, southern Dacia and Thrace, and most of Illyria are under Roman control now, along with the last bits of Iberia and the Southern Gallic cities which the Iberians had taken from the Celts. Spartacus is dead, his Rebel army shattered, and reinforcements are headed from Rome and Iberia to the East. Nabataea and Parthia allied with me, and I'm considering crushing ALL of Armenia.

MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 05 March 2007 19:11 EDT (US)     43 / 48       
I think the Question really become how far do you go. If you take all of Armenia, and then find yourself at arms with Parthia, and then you keep going East, and soon your so far from your supply base (of soldiers) and your being overwhelmed by what I heard were some kick-arse Cataphracts.

I'd suggest hitting Antioch, and then hitting either the Jews, or the Ptolemaics. (which ever one is winning their war)

Stormraider
Tribunus Militum
posted 05 March 2007 19:22 EDT (US)     44 / 48       
I think I'll leave a few small rebel or Armenia provinces between Parthia and I as a buffer until I have Sinope built up to where I can recruit Legions from it.

Once that's done, Parthia is welcome to come hither. 18 Cohorts will swallow up their minimal Cataphract armies nicely.

I'm sending little expeditions to take the islands, as well. They'll make nice Naval Bases and launch-off points for my inevitable invasion and extermination of the Jews and Ptols.

I'm most excited about the inevitable missions sending me into Gaul and Britain. If it's anything like RTR was, those are my favourite places to campaign. RTR got the feeling down pat of taking well-disciplined soldiers against masses of inferior Celts. I recall defeating over 3000 with one 18-unit army of Post-Marian Legions. Scorpions did quite a number on them, as well.

[This message has been edited by Stormraider (edited 03-05-2007 @ 07:24 PM).]

MisplacedPope
Legionary
posted 05 March 2007 19:48 EDT (US)     45 / 48       
Leave Phraaspa, it is the most exposed, and least built up, cities of Armenia.

Stormraider
Tribunus Militum
posted 06 March 2007 16:44 EDT (US)     46 / 48       
Further fun update of Joy: Breuci almost gone, Dacia bribed me to stop attacking, and I'm holding the Gallic frontier, awaiting Caesar.

In the east, Armenia got smart, and while my two Legions were up North smashing Pontus, they attacked with 6 half-stacks through Southern Asia Minor, knocked aside my Rebel Buffer State, and sieged three of my cities. I had literally nothing to stop them aside from the pitiful garrisons made up entirely of local Spear Levy-types and other Mercs I hire so I can move quickly. Fortunately, the sieges lasted long enough that I sent a Third Legion, newly from crushing Spartacus' rebellion in Italy, and mopping up Rebels in Greece, across the Aegean to counterattack the nearest besieging force. Crushed that force, and proceeded to be attacked by all five remaining halfstacks in Armenia's turn, coming in waves of two (the third wave containing the final halfstack, and the survivors of the last two battles).

Needless to say, I no longer fear Cataphracts. There is literally nothing I have encountered so far that poses a real danger to Legions. I lost around 80 men the first battle, 50 in the second, and 30 in the last. Armenian armies tend to be made up of a lot of low-class Spears, moderate numbers of High-class Spears, and a few Cats and HA's. My Kretan Archers decimated the latter, most of the former fell to Pila before engaging, and I smothered the Cats with 2 Legionary units on each.

That'll teach those Eastern bastards. Now on to the Capital!
(Pontus has one settlement left in Asia Minor. I'm going to let them live above the Black Sea, as they'll keep the Sarmatae busy for awhile).

Salvor Hardin
Legionary
posted 06 March 2007 19:31 EDT (US)     47 / 48       
Greetings to all,

I am Salvor Hardin, creator (along with an impressive team) of 77 BC - Twilight of the Republic.

First of all, let me thank misplaced general for opening this thread at this Forum. Curiously, it is in this Heaven that I discovered the RTW community and the modifications for the game so I am feeling like the prodigal child who returns home after a long time.

Thanks to all of you who have tried this modification in spite of the slightly complicated installation process. It is your feedback and support that keeps us going on and trying to improve.

Let me just advance you some new features that we are preparing for version 2.0.:

- A mod_switch install that will enable an easier installation of the mod, leaving your original RTW untouched.
- A lot of new units. Most precisely the Numidians, Mauretanians and Nabateans are getting the lion's share of them.
- Several improvements to the script.
- We hope to be able to fix Caesar's campaign. In the current version 1.0. he gets attacked by SPQR really soon, a fact that dissables the possibility of conquering Gaul before the Civil War. We are working hard on it. In the meantime, keep an eye on the SPQR and try to strongly garrison your cities in Cisalpine Gaul.

I will be dropping by here from time to time so...hasta la vista!

Carthage
Legionary
posted 07 March 2007 04:35 EDT (US)     48 / 48       
A mod-switch version sounds good

Carthage
No, no it's not

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register