Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Need Help With Models
Bottom
Topic Subject:Need Help With Models
GamerXD
Legionary
posted 03 December 2017 23:30 EDT (US)         
I need some help with modding a unit for RTW. This is what I want to do. I want to add the shoulder piece attachment from Poeni Infantry to the default Scutarii model.

Another way to do it is to swap out the weapons and shield of Poeni Infantry with that of the Scutarii.

I have an older model of this which I obtain from Darth mod, but that model has some weird issue with lighting, shoulder vertices, and the sword was modify. I really want to have a revision of this unit.

Dagovax, if you're still active, can you help me with this?

------------------------------------------
Include are all the needed work files and textures.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1ad3imd1t5v99x1/Loricati_Scutarii.zip

[This message has been edited by GamerXD (edited 12-05-2017 @ 07:07 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 06 December 2017 00:45 EDT (US)     1 / 16       
Hi,

I'm quite busy this month. If I have the time, I will have a look to it.
GamerXD
Legionary
posted 06 December 2017 00:59 EDT (US)     2 / 16       
Thank you, really, I mean it. This is the second time you're helping me. If it's okay with you, I want to make you the co-author of my mod. I know it's a small mod, it's minimalistic, but work was put into it and I would like to give full credit to contributor.
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 07 December 2017 11:26 EDT (US)     3 / 16       
That choice is yours to make! I am glad to help people, but if you need more things:

https://sirrianusdagovax.wordpress.com/questionsrequests/
GamerXD
Legionary
posted 07 December 2017 23:37 EDT (US)     4 / 16       
I want to make you the co-author, if it's okay with you? There are another 3-4 units I'll need your help with. They are all missing level of details (lod). You're welcome to make suggestion and addition to the mod.
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 08 December 2017 08:49 EDT (US)     5 / 16       
I made a fix for it:

Loricati Scutarii - Video

I am not sure you mentioned it this way, but this is the highest quality unit. If you like them this way I can make them for the lower qualities as well...

Btw don't add those gloss things, as it doesn't improve the quality and in your version, it ruined the texture

Dagovax

[This message has been edited by Dagovax (edited 12-08-2017 @ 08:52 AM).]

GamerXD
Legionary
posted 09 December 2017 08:08 EDT (US)     6 / 16       

Dagovax, thanks for your help. The shoulder attachment I want needs to have the polygon section that covers the shoulder as well. I'm sorry for the confusion. I think the base model to use is the Poeni Infantry (carthaginian_heavy_infantry) and swap the weapons and shield with that of the Scutarii.
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 09 December 2017 11:46 EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Hmm that is exactly what I did... I used the poeni infantry as base and added scutarii shield and weapon.
GamerXD
Legionary
posted 09 December 2017 23:18 EDT (US)     8 / 16       
I just took a look at the textures from the Poeni Infantry, Scutarii and the one from the Loricati Scutarii. The texture to use is the one from the Loricati Scutarii. The weapons, shield, and shoulder attachment most probably will need to be UV map again.

[This message has been edited by GamerXD (edited 12-10-2017 @ 00:06 AM).]

Dagovax
Legionary
posted 10 December 2017 09:13 EDT (US)     9 / 16       
That is exactly what I did.. I used poeni infantry as default and the shoulder part is not included in their setup.. I will look for another one dont worry
GamerXD
Legionary
posted 11 December 2017 01:50 EDT (US)     10 / 16       

Alright, thanks. I don't know if this help, there are several units in game that share the same shoulder attachments. They are Hastati, Principes, Triarii, Praetorian Cohort, and Sacred Band Cavalry.
If it's too much trouble, you could just replace the sword from the Loricati Scutarii Models with that of the normal Scutarii models.
----------------------------------------------------
Dec 25, 2017

I encounter a strange problem with importing and exporting models with 3dsmax. Even without editing anything, simply exporting will mess up the meshes. Have you ever encounter this problem? Please give me a hand with this. I really want to fix it.
-----------------------------------
December 29, 2017 update1

Okay, I understand what the problem is. It seems the cas exporter doesn't work with my version of 3dsmax 2013. There is no way I could make changes and export it back into the game.

Using a different version of Max, the problem is fix. I got this unit done, at least to a satisfactory level. Dagovax, leave a comment below and let me know if you want to help me do another unit.

-----------------------------------
January 6, 2018 update

Okay, I got all the revision done except one, the Spartan hoplite. I figure out how to do the shoulder mesh. Here are some pics of the revision units:

[This message has been edited by GamerXD (edited 01-09-2018 @ 02:12 AM).]

Dagovax
Legionary
posted 22 January 2018 06:45 EDT (US)     11 / 16       
Well I'm sorry for my very late response.. had to finish my school stuff first.

But very nice you got the shoulder pads working. I did the job myself too. For some reason, the extended shoulder pad was not in any model from carthage.

But here is my model, I used Skin modifier for the first time and added gloss. It's your decision which one you want: yours or mine :P

http://www.mediafire.com/file/23qoaw4b3bg2svc/dagovax_loricati_scutarii.rar

If you have other questions, just give them and I will have a look to it

Dagovax
GamerXD
Legionary
posted 23 January 2018 02:19 EDT (US)     12 / 16       
Dagovax, thank you so much for your help. I've been working on the mod when time is permissible. I just want to post an update of my work in progress.

This is a new unit I did, the Pontic Swordsmen.

The Thorax Swordsmen got a new UI card.

The basic Macedonian unit with linothorax.

Another new unit, the Spear Bearers with dipylon shield. This unit replaced the older Eastern Axemen.

Another revision unit, the Heavy Axemen replaced the older Heavy Swordsmen. There is another reason for this, the new Empire Divided dlc from CA kind of swing me to the axe. The thing is my mod had quite a few axe units, so by adding this, I removed and replaced the Eastern Axemen for Parthia.

A new Spartan Hoplite alternate model with corinthian helmet and horizontal plume. I did this one from scratch and given it proper lods. The unit is finished. I triple check and make sure there were no loose vertices or incorrect bone weight, corrected the UV map too.

All units now have proper and correct lods. This isn't a big mod, but the revision was substantial. Aside from models rework, revise UI cards, new sprites were done as well. It's pretty much finished, and quite solid. I'll check it some more and hopefully can release it sometime before the end of this week. I'll post the link here afterward.

I forgot to talk about the shoulderpad. I realize no shoulderpad with the extended vertices that covers the shoulder can be corretly ported into 3dsmax. My hunch is it's either the limit of the import/exporter plugin or those models used a special 3dsmax plugin for those section that reduces its bone weight to less than one. I've notice sometimes the shoulderpad will be corrupted via import.

----------------
(January 26, 2018 update)

The mod has been uploaded, you can download it here: http://www.moddb.com/games/rome-total-war/downloads/rtw-units-addon-mod

[This message has been edited by GamerXD (edited 01-26-2018 @ 01:30 AM).]

Dagovax
Legionary
posted 23 January 2018 12:45 EDT (US)     13 / 16       
Looks nice! Let me know if you need anything else

Dagovax
GamerXD
Legionary
posted 23 January 2018 23:01 EDT (US)     14 / 16       
Thanks.

The mod has been uploaded, you can download it here: http://www.moddb.com/games/rome-total-war/downloads/rtw-units-addon-mod

[This message has been edited by GamerXD (edited 01-26-2018 @ 01:29 AM).]

Dagovax
Legionary
posted 28 January 2018 06:57 EDT (US)     15 / 16       
Nice work! Did u changed your unit with mine? On your picture I see the shoulder pad attachment a little bit 'weird'
GamerXD
Legionary
posted 29 January 2018 06:59 EDT (US)     16 / 16       
I'm using my own model that I did from scratch with correct lods. The shoulder pad has been carefully recreated (See pic below, see also the lowest lod shoulder pad, that one is rigged differently) to resembled the original work from CA. The thing about the new shoulder pad is that it's being pulled in a little too tight to the upper arm, and that's because of the mandatory bone weight of one. If it isn't set to one, the model can't be exported. If the bone weight can be manipulated to be around 0.64, I think it will be looser and resemble more correctly to the way CA had it. This is the limit of modding. This shoulder pad is a very good and close approximation, and can be applied to any units that needs the extended shoulder mesh.

------------------------------
February 5, 2018 update:

--I did another revision of the shoulder pad. It now rest correctly in the shoulder and less spread apart, which is slightly tilted at an angle. The shoulder mesh had been refine, the texture UV had been shape to its allocatable limit. No further update will be done. The lowest lods has also been corrected. I've updated the files for download, the link is the same as above. I think this mod is done.

[This message has been edited by GamerXD (edited 02-05-2018 @ 02:45 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames