You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.254 replies, Sticky
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » Empire: Total War Discussion thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:Empire: Total War Discussion thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10 ··· 11  Next Page »
Mechstra
Banned
posted 22 August 2007 06:13 EDT (US)         
Empire: Total War is marching slowly towards us!

Relevant links:

The official site
Preview article on land combat at Gamespot
Another land combat preview at IGN
Total War Heaven Youtube channel - featuring some trailers

FAQ

1. Do we have a release date?
The game is currently scheduled to be out in February 2009.

2. How many factions will there be?
There will be 12 playable factions, all playable from the start. Currently confirmed factions are Britain, Prussia, France, Spain, America, Austria, the Dutch Republic and the Ottoman Empire. References to Peter the Great and Charles XII mean that Russia and Sweden are likely candidates as well. A CA developer has said:
We have over 50 factions in the game, and we can't create all of them in the full detail they deserve. Therefore we limit the number of playable factions, but we can't say which ones are playable just yet, simply because we haven't made a final decision. Rest assured though that all major factions (even the non-playable ones) will be represented in high detail.
3. Do we know system requirements? Will the game require Vista?
There are no released system requirements yet, but the game will run with DirectX 9.0, so Vista will not be a minimum requirement for the game. DX10 support is likely but not needed.

4. What period will the game cover?
Empire: Total War will cover the 18th century and the early 19th century.

5. What will the campaign map be?
The latest information suggests that it will include Europe, North and South America, North Africa, Central Asia, India, and Indonesia.

[This message has been edited by Kor (edited 08-27-2008 @ 05:52 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Elrond89
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 20:36 EDT (US)     51 / 254       
Bagpipers? Hmm.

I bring my own pipes to CA and play if they can't put in some good tunes.

I'll probably lose my mind if the only song the bagpipers know is Scotland the Brave or other assorted generic Scotch junk. I demand a compliment of Irish tunes: Follow me up to Carlow, Garryowen, Fare Thee Well Enniskillen, and maybe Highland Laddie for the Scots.

Crusade! Our brothers in the East need out swords to subdue the Infidel! The Saracen defiles the Sepulchre and is at the gates of the Roman emperor!. Ride! Ride ye holy soldiers to Jerusalem! Byzantium calls for aid...Christ and the Virgin weep at the blood of martyrs spilled on holy pilgrimages! Crusade! -Medieval 2: Total War
bloodswan
The Shaman
posted 22 August 2007 20:41 EDT (US)     52 / 254       

Rome TW didn't have Mongols.

In war wolves are smarter than men. We Mongols learned from them how to hunt, how to encircle, even how to fight a war. There are no wolf packs where you Chinese live, so you haven't learnt how to fight a war. You can't win a war just because you have lots of land and people. No, it depends on whether you're a wolf or a sheep.
Ace Cataphract
HG Alumnus
(id: Ace_Cataphract)
posted 22 August 2007 20:42 EDT (US)     53 / 254       
Kinda disappointed about only six playable factions, but I guess I would prefer the focus to be on quality, not necessarily quantity.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
bloodswan
The Shaman
posted 22 August 2007 20:47 EDT (US)     54 / 254       
Only six oh that does sound a little disappointing but then again I'm not so sure I'll get the game because there is no way I can afford a brand new comnputer that can run it.

In war wolves are smarter than men. We Mongols learned from them how to hunt, how to encircle, even how to fight a war. There are no wolf packs where you Chinese live, so you haven't learnt how to fight a war. You can't win a war just because you have lots of land and people. No, it depends on whether you're a wolf or a sheep.
Ecthelion
Legionary
(id: p90pro)
posted 22 August 2007 20:58 EDT (US)     55 / 254       
Well there are going to be expansion packs once it's been out for a while. you'll have your German Confederation, your Russians, your damned Belgians and maybe the Iroqouis nation.

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
AugustusCurly
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 21:35 EDT (US)     56 / 254       
6 seems a little disapointing. Yes, by the end of C18 some/much of the world was now colonial, but I would hope for at least a few more than 6, it would be most awesome to control China and industrialize to best the uncultured Westerners. They could be like the WRE in BI, only more so as they would need to industrialize and such.

(\__/)Gambling is a tax on people who are bad at math
(O.o )a Kilometre is whats known in American as "too far to walk", and a litre is known as "too much beer for one man".-Bored Scotsman
( >< )Beer brands are the power ranger action figures for adults.-Angelo the Sailor
Easter is indeed very commercial. But hey, that's what keeps the economy going. Discussion is useless, chocolate eggs are delicious. Voila.-TheKid951

[This message has been edited by AugustusCurly (edited 08-22-2007 @ 09:37 PM).]

General_II
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 21:40 EDT (US)     57 / 254       
Can't wait. This looks pretty nice. The image view option in the gallery is a bit screwed-up though. Clicking on a picture does... nothing.

Here's a link to some IGN images:
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/958/958390/imgs_1.html

I can feel my computer melting, though. Poor 7600...

[rant]
To be honest, I felt cheated by AoE3. It screwed up the history and made the era unenjoyable. Glad a good game to replace it has finally come out.[/rant]
blaster fodder
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 23:22 EDT (US)     58 / 254       
*Stabs himself in the heart, to see if he has gone to heaven. Afterwords, looking down at the dagger sticking out of my chest, passes out. Wakes up, and notices fluffy white clouds surrounding him, with a large beam of light glaring in his face.*

Wow.... I just... err... wow.... I have very high hopes for this game! Here is what I think the factions will be:
Austria
France
England
Spain
Portugal
Papal States (Or Italian States)
Ottoman Empire
Iroquios Confederation
America
HRE/German Confederation
Russia (IT HAS TO BE IN HERE!)
Denmark
Belgium
Japan
Hmmm........ Thats all I can think of for now....
I'm so excited! Now, I confused, should I buy Kingdoms, or Empires?

Faction I'm looking forward to playing? America/ France

Lost in a roman...wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane

[This message has been edited by blaster fodder (edited 08-23-2007 @ 12:25 PM).]

General_II
Legionary
posted 22 August 2007 23:39 EDT (US)     59 / 254       
The game sounds ship-oriented to an extent... Things like the Iroquois Federation? I don't think they had any ships (though their canoes pwn in AoE3). I think that factions should be kept to the main "players" of the time. Don't put factions in for the sake of having different factions.

Japan also applies. I'm not certain they were even active at the time period of the game, Isolationism and all...
Chalupa Batman
Centurion
(id: ccsantos)
posted 23 August 2007 00:05 EDT (US)     60 / 254       
"Alcohol and Tobacco reference"...

I find that funny. Its listed on the game's rating.

EDIT:

Might I make a suggestion for Mr. Dunn?

Since this seems to be a really important thread, why not keep all new updates and links in the OP for us?

As-Salaam-Alaikum

[This message has been edited by Santos I (edited 08-23-2007 @ 00:06 AM).]

bloodswan
The Shaman
posted 23 August 2007 00:07 EDT (US)     61 / 254       
The HRE won't be in it. It would be more like Prussia, Bavaria, etc. Japan probably wouldn't either and the Iroquois might be in it but as non-playable. I am expecting alot of non-playable factions like the Moghuls in India and several Anerindian tribes.

Chalupa Batman
Centurion
(id: ccsantos)
posted 23 August 2007 00:08 EDT (US)     62 / 254       
you think there will be heroes in it? ex: Napoleon?

Also, the link in Dunn's OP atm is dead, is there an expected TOA?

As-Salaam-Alaikum
Cordyceps
Naphal
(id: ArchDruid)
posted 23 August 2007 00:16 EDT (US)     63 / 254       
Rome TW didn't have Mongols.
It had the Huns (BI), same damn thing.

I sincerely hope 6 playable factions refers only to those available at the start of the game, with more being unlockable. To be honest I'm not sure I'd bother buying it for 6 factions.

Just as some bodies, from the moment of birth, are endowed with beauty, while on others nature from their very beginning bestows blemishes and wrinkles, so with souls too, some are distinguished at once with extreme grace and attractiveness, while others leave a trail of sombre and deep gloom. ~Michael Psellus, Chronographia
Scotty the Fallen
Legionary
posted 23 August 2007 00:31 EDT (US)     64 / 254       
Why is it every time I go on vacation something happens?

This looks so awesome, I think I just had a Gorgasm. (Gamer Orgasm)

EDIT: The link doesn't work *Crai*

Scotty the Fallen | One-time Angel Reincarnate, and Former BFME2H and TWH Downloads administrator, and BFME2 Strategy Administrator.
"And I shall go softly into the night, taking my dreams, as will you." - EoJ
"Scotty's probably the only forumer here who can make every post a defiant claim of his own superiority." - Atzy

[This message has been edited by Foamy (edited 08-23-2007 @ 00:36 AM).]

bloodswan
The Shaman
posted 23 August 2007 00:54 EDT (US)     65 / 254       

No not really but I see your point.

The Hun characters in the game atleast looked Mongol whereas in ME2 they looked like Turks and Arabs.

I find that funny. Its listed on the game's rating.

I think it says that on the ME2 rating sticker too. I guess it is true because you can trade tobacco in the Americas and you can build brothels, Taverns etc aswell as some character traits relating to alcohol and adultery. These days you have to be safe because there are people out there who would complain and even sue over anything.

[This message has been edited by bloodswan (edited 08-23-2007 @ 00:58 AM).]

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 23 August 2007 02:00 EDT (US)     66 / 254       
Wow after thinking I wouldn't be able to come back here for a long time, I finally can and a BRAND NEW Total War game has been announced!

Too bad my pc most likely won't be able to play it. Oh well I can save up for a car again next year haha.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
TaylorFlame
Lizard the Bard
posted 23 August 2007 02:38 EDT (US)     67 / 254       
**** YES!
Bagpipes.
This just gets better and better!

TaylorFlame - The Definitive Man.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 23 August 2007 03:46 EDT (US)     68 / 254       
Oh well I can save up for a car again next year haha
Sell your car, dammit

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Mechstra
Banned
posted 23 August 2007 04:02 EDT (US)     69 / 254       
Garryowen
God help anyone who goes into battle playing Garryowen... asking for disaster, tbh.

The game is expected to arrive sometime in 2008. I will update the topic post with various links, just to be nice.
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 23 August 2007 05:07 EDT (US)     70 / 254       
Sell your car, dammit
hehe what I meant was that I was going to use up what I saved for my car to get a new pc

A friend of mine makes custom pcs and other tech & electric oriented stuff as a side job. I was thinking of asking him to make me a new pc gaming rig

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Mechstra
Banned
posted 23 August 2007 05:25 EDT (US)     71 / 254       
Oh, and as regards the 'oh no only 6 factions thing', I'm unsure where that's coming from.

Here's a statement direct from a CA employee on another forum:
Ten playable factions means that in the unmodded start menu you will get a list of 10 factions to choose from. There are a LOT more than 10 factions in the game.

The factions will not be clones, but they will all be a different playing experience. We're putting a lot of work into them (including the non-playable ones).
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 23 August 2007 05:30 EDT (US)     72 / 254       
And I assume the non-playable ones mean the ones that are scripted, such as pirates, etc.
Andrew, d'ya mind putting the release date up in the OP? Stops people asking 'when's it out?'

Mechstra
Banned
posted 23 August 2007 05:41 EDT (US)     73 / 254       
Massively updated the topic post.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 23 August 2007 05:55 EDT (US)     74 / 254       
Merits a sticky, methinks, don't you?

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 23 August 2007 07:01 EDT (US)     75 / 254       
Thanks for dropping in Intrepid C I F to give us an update. Sounds like ye are as excited about the game as we are.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10 ··· 11  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames