You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Judea - Total war

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.253 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Judea - Total war » Judea - Total war starting and looking for members!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Judea - Total war starting and looking for members!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 05 June 2008 01:04 EDT (US)         
JUDEA TOTAL WAR IS A 100% OPEN MODIFICATION on the singular condition that credit is given where credit is due. ALL PROPERTY OF THE MOD IS RELEASED FOR GENERAL PUBLIC USE, DISTRIBUTION, AND/OR FURTHER ALTERATION.

ALL MATERIALS LENT OR DONATED TO JUDEA TOTAL WAR REMAIN THE PROPERTY OF THE RESPECTIVE CREATORS UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.

AS SUCH THE CREATORS TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY for the ultimate nature or effects of any materials. By knowing receipt of materials you consent to the above. HAPPY MODDING!

(hitties, hebrews, philistines, assyrians, kessites, babylonians, egyptians)

Alright, so i've been kicking this idea around in my head for some time, but I think i'm going to go for it now, if i can drum up support, and you all are the first to hear!

The game will use BI and start probably around 1250 BC and go (for whoever wants to) until probably around 950 BC, beginning with the bronze age collapse and ending with the time of Judges as well as the beginning of Assyrian domination.

The map will reach from the west of egypt to the iran, from the Dardanelles to central arabia.

factions (so far) :

Egypt, Ethiopia/Abyssinia

Assyrians, Babylonians

Hittites, Neo-Hitties
Philistines

Amalekites, Edomites? Midianites? Moabites?

Hebrews

GOD/senate - because there wouldn't be Hebrews without commandments. For you non-abrahamics, consider this faction as representing the religious influence, if not true divinity. Non-playable.
Sea people - Non-playable

rebels.

functions/features - what is different?

new map - which i gotta make

no navy, but wait! - this is important. God and the Sea People will have islands that cannot be reached by the player from which they will come. God will have a single city that is immensely wealthy that will trade with the hebrews - turning away from god as the hebrews will mean a huge loss of income (plagues and famine) as well as unrest. enter forced diplomacy script.

desert "towns" - non-towns that will have buildings that cannot be built, used for gathering troops in the desert. they can be built into towns later, but they will be more abstract towns than anything else, representing the "big fish" in the region rather than a true settlement.

wo do we have?

Me! I can do unit lists using existing models and brandy-new skins (see photos), and i can put a map together, and recruitment etc, but i can't do crazy stuff.

who do we need?

coders who know what they are doing! I can do everything myself if i set my mind to it, but by that point everyone will be playing Empires.

historians! i only have the bible and wikipedia and so many hours in a day to go through jstor etc.

anyone with experience putting a mod together! i'll be basically raping my home version of the game until i meet someone capable of doing non-destructive modding.

other artists! not that i can't do skins myself but more hands never hurt.

anyone interested?

all WIPs - also, legs and arms to be replaced with original skins, particularly on chariots which will sport bare arms with bracers.
http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08234/01289.jpg
hittite swordsmen - middle infantry unit. face is strange because i'm going for 100% original which takes some practice.
http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08234/02838.jpg
more of the hittite swordsmen.
http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08234/04371.jpg
hittite chariots - gotta fix that darn egyptian skin, also needs to face and hat in addition to arms and legs.
http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08234/03413.jpg
philistine skirmishers - need new shield in addition to arms and legs. also upper chest not drawn.

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 09-06-2008 @ 00:59 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 19 June 2008 21:06 EDT (US)     101 / 253       
How would you like to build an assyrian four-man (four-horse!) chariot cart? .

big, square, wheels the size of itself, you know the drill...

http://strategicsimulations.net/catalog/images/SSCAE011.jpg

no scythes on any of these! you can just delete them unless you've got another use for an object that moves with the wheels. just infantry-squishing arrow-drawing giant-box-on-wheels action.

- just the cart, we should be set on the horses.
Ok il get to it, however would you mind providing me with a texture as im not particularly good at that.

EDIT: Heres what ive got so far, pretty simplistic, but so is the chariot in the picture, anyway, itl look better with textures, havent UVW mapped or added bones as i dont know what the original RTW chariot models have.

[This message has been edited by PrivateClark (edited 06-19-2008 @ 10:03 PM).]

SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 19 June 2008 21:53 EDT (US)     102 / 253       
Private - sure, i'll skin it. In fact, if i'll be the one skinning it, would you let be me the one to unwrap it? you and I have rather different methods, and it's just easier for me to paint over something laid out the way i like. Just send the .cas file when you're done, would be perfect .

also, it's going to take me a while to sort all the photos I took at the met, but here's one that a kind woman took of me, for scale comparison:

[JPEG, (209.46 KB)]

As you can see, I am 5'5", and it's at least twice my height
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 19 June 2008 22:04 EDT (US)     103 / 253       
ok, i edited my post with a pic, i still dont really know what bones a chariot has, besides a scene root bone.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 19 June 2008 23:02 EDT (US)     104 / 253       
Looking good. i don't think it has many (any?) bones other than that, because it's divided into so many separate entities.

Don't worry about it being simple - it's easiest to deal with that way. no need to over-complicate .

One thing I forgot to mention - the yolk-type-thing will either need to be doubled (exactly to the left of the original) or destroyed - in order to accommodate the additional horses. Personally, I recommend the latter, as none of the illustrations i've looked at seem to depict large yolks. if anything i can attach them to my two-horse model (fourth age hasn't responded to my email)
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 20 June 2008 20:56 EDT (US)     105 / 253       
ok il add the scene root bone and remove the yolk, name all the objects and then export.

EDIT: The reason there are no wheels in that pic is because on vanilla chariots the wheels are side by side in the middle of the chasis, if you move them then ingame the wheels arent placed correctly...

EDIT 2: Whats your e-mail?

[This message has been edited by PrivateClark (edited 06-20-2008 @ 09:16 PM).]

Andalus
Legionary
posted 21 June 2008 10:07 EDT (US)     106 / 253       
I hate to be pedantic (Actually I love it), but I believe the word is 'yoke', not yolk.

SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 21 June 2008 22:04 EDT (US)     107 / 253       
yeah i know about the wheels, i've modded chariots before. although that brings up a question - i thought you'ld just not included them in the screenshot - you know that the wheels are larger than the cart itself, yes? so if they are in that screenshot, they should be easily visible? if you didn't just take them for the screenshot, remember to make them about the size of a man

donteatbadgers@yahoo.com
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 21 June 2008 22:55 EDT (US)     108 / 253       
well the chariot i made is the same size as the Egyptian chariot and i haven't changed the wheel size so they should be fine you probably cant see it cause the shape is different. Il send the file.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 22 June 2008 10:30 EDT (US)     109 / 253       
no that's exactly my point - the assyrian war chariots used much larger, heavier wheels than the egyptian chariot - nearly twice the size! and a different shape! You HAVE to change them.

look at the references:

http://www.bible-history.com/assyria_archaeology/ashurbanipal_bowmen.jpg
http://www.artificeimages.com/gbc/images/cid_aj2335_b.jpg
http://strategicsimulations.net/catalog/images/SSHAT8124.jpg
http://strategicsimulations.net/catalog/images/SSCAE011.jpg

compared to

http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/info/units/egyptian_chariot_info.jpg

big difference!

egyptian war chariots weren't meant for the charge the way northern war chariots were, they were meant for speed and maneuverability, thus having very small wheels. for the assyrians, the huge, sometimes studded wheel was integral to performance in battle, as it was responsible for most of the weight and crushing force. Without the huge wheels, it's just not a heavy chariot.

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 06-22-2008 @ 10:35 AM).]

PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 22 June 2008 14:16 EDT (US)     110 / 253       
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 22 June 2008 15:02 EDT (US)     111 / 253       
As I recall because of the design, the Asyrrian Chariots were essentially lumbering beasts, while the Egyptian ones were quick and nimble by comparison. Perhaps there will be some way to portray this in the game? I am not sure though if you can make one kind of chariot faster than another though.
Ischenous
Legionary
posted 22 June 2008 15:21 EDT (US)     112 / 253       
Give one the fast moving attribute?

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 22 June 2008 15:32 EDT (US)     113 / 253       
It looks like you can do it by setting the horse in Descr_Mount.txt. You could give the Egyptians a Light Horse, that would make them fast moving. That is how the Briton Light Chariots move so quickly.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 06-22-2008 @ 03:32 PM).]

SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 22 June 2008 15:57 EDT (US)     114 / 253       
thanks sub, we'll give it a try . I assume that cataphract is the slowest horse as well?

if that doesn't work, or even if it does, i'll try reducing or increasing other things, like mass - just to see what we can get it to do. I also need to see if there is a way of increasing radius or something (decreasing maneuverability) without increasing the size of the target or the swath cut into the enemy men.

also, i think i've seen this, but i could be mistaken - do the individual crew of the chariot have their own life? like, can they be killed as individuals without the whole chariot being destroyed? i feel as though i've seen this, mostly from missiles, but it's hard to say. If so, I'll try to see if I can increase the colision size of the men and reduce the colision size of the chariot such that the men themselves are slain individually more often, as the idea that arrows and spears could destory the cart itself easier than the men inside is a little iffy (i mean, obviously a dead horse is a major problem, but you're not going to do much damage to say, a plank, just by stabbing it??)
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 22 June 2008 20:47 EDT (US)     115 / 253       
I believe the cataphract is the slowest horse. The Assyrian Chariots would probably look good with them pulling them. As they are basically big rolling houses made to crush everything before them.

I am pretty sure the crew members each have separate lives, except for the drivers. I have seen depleted units of chariots and war elephants with no crews, just drivers. But otherwise they were still there and fought fine. It seems that when the driver dies the chariot/elephant dies too. That is like with cavalry, when the horseman dies the horse goes too.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 06-22-2008 @ 08:48 PM).]

Boetje
Legionary
posted 23 June 2008 01:07 EDT (US)     116 / 253       
i had in XGM once, that the seleucids besieged me with elephants. i had a stone wall. poor beasts... but what i saw surprised me, at most oil attacks all of it dies. but in one, only the archers did... it could be a bug, or what you want to nkow...

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 23 June 2008 12:07 EDT (US)     117 / 253       
sub - thanks for the info
boetj - that's nuts, but it means what we want is possible
isch - i took a look at that, but fast-moving turns out isn't a direct attribute, it's a result of whether the game has recognized that it is fast moving or not. There are a few others like this, such as the very strong charge attribute or the very long range (or something to those effects).

private - thanks. I got your first email so when the wheels get done just send her again .

Alright, so here's the dealeo:

I will be heading to Italy on Wednesday and will return on the first of August. Although I will be bringing my laptop, I'm not spending $8,400 to sit at my computer . So for all intents and purposes, I'll be on vacation from RTW as well as everything else.

When I return, I'm going to start doing this right - with a fresh install of BI and the proper mod-switch and everything set up to make this happen.

In the meantime, here are suggestions (not requirements) for the team :

andalus - you have your suggestion already

caesar vincens - you know what you're doing, but should you run out of ideas and wish to continue, or if you are stuck waiting for history or something, perhaps elaborating on how God might work, or mocking up building paths, or anything else that strikes your fancy. Also a thought occured to me - can we GET a senate in BI? I assume that all the stuff is there, but we should make sure.

private clark - if there's one thing i would want you to do it would be to try and get as many model parts as possible. heres a brief list of things we'll eventually need : figure eight shield, anatolian body-shield, cone shield small, cone shield large, kopesh (i got a good pic at the met), spade-shaped-dagger, spade-shaped-sword, throwstick (egyptian sidearm), "side-cape" (look for biblical libyans and hittites miniatures and you'll know what i'm talking about - it needs a tough skeleton though so save it for later if there's a problem), horse plumes of various shapes, or whatever else you'ld like to go for.

Historians - whatever information you feel is pertinent, we would love. The religion info has been extremely useful as would just about anything else that defines the people, as citizens, as soldiers, as politicians, as carpenters...you name it, we'd love it.

anyone else - ask specifically or go about your own fancy. Anyone who wants to join post here but realize it may be a few days before anyone gets to you.

I'm going to keep an open eye and an open ear for anything that relates, but as I said this is a study trip to italy so there's not going to be much from me. If i get private's finished model before I go i'll try to show an assyrian heavy chariot, but it's a little crazy right now trying to get everything in order. Most likely you'll hear from me on-and-off from florence, mostly on mondays.

thanks everyone and have a good july!

- Nate
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 23 June 2008 12:40 EDT (US)     118 / 253       
private - thanks. I got your first email so when the wheels get done just send her again .
errr...i DID send you a second e-mail with the fixed wheels and such...
private clark - if there's one thing i would want you to do it would be to try and get as many model parts as possible. heres a brief list of things we'll eventually need : figure eight shield, anatolian body-shield, cone shield small, cone shield large, kopesh (i got a good pic at the met), spade-shaped-dagger, spade-shaped-sword, throwstick (egyptian sidearm), "side-cape" (look for biblical libyans and hittites miniatures and you'll know what i'm talking about - it needs a tough skeleton though so save it for later if there's a problem), horse plumes of various shapes, or whatever else you'ld like to go for.
I could probably do most of that but i dont really understand what you mean by most of these, for example, i dont understand what you mean for a figure eight shield or cone shield (that could vary alot), kopesh, no idea, throwstick, same, i dont understand what you mean by a spade shaped sword though. If you wouldnt mind could you find pictures of what you want me to start off of? Also, do you want these guys rudimentaly textured (which you can then refine) or shall i send you a blank model?
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 23 June 2008 13:22 EDT (US)     119 / 253       
caesar vincens - you know what you're doing, but should you run out of ideas and wish to continue, or if you are stuck waiting for history or something, perhaps elaborating on how God might work, or mocking up building paths, or anything else that strikes your fancy.
I'll try to get something done.
Also a thought occured to me - can we GET a senate in BI? I assume that all the stuff is there, but we should make sure.
I'll find out, I don't see why not. Would the senate be God in this case?

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kŠn ɹid ­ɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 23 June 2008 14:16 EDT (US)     120 / 253       
Horse skeletons, where movement seems to be defined :

fs_cataphract_horse - the slowest, lumberiest horse skeleton, with shortest period of suspension. We'll use this for a number of things, including chariots and early cavalry.

fs_horse - faster, like for early egyptian chariots and other light chariots, as well as later cavalry.

fs_medium_horse - reserved only for scouts and the fastest, lightest chariots and horsemen.

fs_fast_horse - i just don't see us using this for anything.

I think also if we scale the skeleton down, we decrease movement speed, but i'll need to confirm that at some point.

camels, elephants... used in scale, these may actually be more appropriate for donkeys, or cattle, or something else that we might want for pilgrim units.

speaking of scale, we may want youths and other younger units to be slightly smaller, while nobility might be just a fraction taller because of more proper nutrition. I also want to see if, in general, we might increase the physical (not numeric) scale of units to get a slightly better relationship between men and trees, buildings, etc.

Caesar - yes, senate would be the god faction, and thanks .

Private - I am on a 56k for the next few days where even this forum takes twenty minutes to load (no joke), so actually i can't get you photos, but all of those terms except the ones i noted will lead you straight to where you need to go, while the others, like cone shield, are self-explanatory (it's a cone! used as a shield!). Kopesh, throwstick...these are what google is for! or jstor. Where do you think i got the list? I don't know anything at all about biblical warfare .
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 23 June 2008 15:30 EDT (US)     121 / 253       
oh right, sorry, but for the cone,what i mean is what shape do you want? big small? long (sticks out) rather flat? Il probably get many variations on google of a cone shield.

EDIT: For the Kopesh we could take the model and texture off a model by TWF (i believe), that would save some time. For cone shields i got something about volcanoes....

[This message has been edited by PrivateClark (edited 06-23-2008 @ 03:32 PM).]

Yitzkshatriya
Legionary
posted 23 June 2008 19:42 EDT (US)     122 / 253       
Just wondering, since the mod is going to around 950, which would be around the middle of Solomon's reign (C. 960-930 bce), would the temple appear? Knowing that it stood in Jerusalem alone, perhaps one could make Jerusalem a special resource (as was done with Sparta and Rome in RTW vanilla) so that it could only be made there? This may have already been discussed and I just missed it, but if not, it's food for thought.
Nikich
Legionary
posted 23 June 2008 19:49 EDT (US)     123 / 253       
I know a whole bunch of history from this section and wikipedia is crap so just e-mail me if u have any history questions or biblical
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 23 June 2008 21:26 EDT (US)     124 / 253       
You know what would be cool? Putting a semi-thick plot into the game, such as "Hittites Invade!" and then spawn some hittite armies at some border or other (no idea if that was historical, just made it up) or "The holy grail has been sighted: faith increases..." or something like that. Might not be possible but would be cool.
Leo IV
Legionary
(id: leonadas_IV)
posted 23 June 2008 21:28 EDT (US)     125 / 253       
Im sorry, but im not sure that i have the time to contribute the amount of work that is nessacary. I wish you all good luck, and will be around everyonce and a while. If you need any historical help desperatly, email me and ill see what i can do. but right now with work, and other things, its not working out.

LEO IV
Pugna Concusio ~ Fight the Oppression
Army Commander
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 23 June 2008 23:06 EDT (US)     126 / 253       
You know what would be cool? Putting a semi-thick plot into the game, such as "Hittites Invade!" and then spawn some hittite armies at some border or other (no idea if that was historical, just made it up) or "The holy grail has been sighted: faith increases..." or something like that. Might not be possible but would be cool.
The Sea Peoples could be done that way, as an emergent horde that turns up on Egypt's border at a certain year. I am afraid the mod is about a thousand years too early for any holy grails however...
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 23 June 2008 23:30 EDT (US)     127 / 253       
The Sea Peoples could be done that way, as an emergent horde that turns up on Egypt's border at a certain year. I am afraid the mod is about a thousand years too early for any holy grails however...
Oh, somebody mentioned King Salomon and i just finished re-reading the Davinci Code where it mentions something about King Salomon and the Holy Grail so i thought maybe there might be a sighting or something, thanks for informing me though
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 24 June 2008 00:11 EDT (US)     128 / 253       
Ok i did the 8 shield, heres a preview for anybody thats interested, pretty much just alpha textures and i used the reference pic as a quick texture as well.

[JPEG, (126.31 KB)]
Nikich
Legionary
posted 24 June 2008 03:55 EDT (US)     129 / 253       
It would be cool if like, u turn away from God by building like Asherah poles or temples to Baal. And if u follow God ur military should be stronger than without him. And if u conquer a faction, it should be able to rebel and like declare independence from u like Edom or Moab in the divided kingdom.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 24 June 2008 09:35 EDT (US)     130 / 253       
plot, campaigns, etc :

as far as people turning up, i'm afraid that factions can only emerge in very limited manners, and that established powers cannot emerge in the way you describe for invasions and whatnot. What we can do is have rebels increased in shore provinces to give the idea of non-unified raiding parties cropping up from time to time.

The other thing that we can and hopefully will do is many more of the "hand pump invented" notifications. I don't know how much these can do, aside from trigger disasters, but in the previous game such notifications often brought important news for a faction or region, such as changes in zeal, loyalty, or finances. I will see if this can be done so that they are more than just text.

A real scripter would be able to spawn unit stacks by event, but we do not have a real scripter.

As far as turning from god, we can do that with the "popularity with the people" concept - pagan temples and decadence will make you more popular, but at the expense of your relationship with the senate/god. Other factions are not affected by popularity with the people, so their buildings can be given these traits as well, necessitating that the hebrews raze clear signs of impure influence in conquered cities.

about the shield: good work, but drat! I guess i'm just not being specific enough. the shield you copied is from the sixteenth century ad . Not to worry - the shape can be used for some eastern wicker shields! lots of infantry would have used a flat shield with this sort of cutout...they just call it differently

the actual figure-eight shield is hugely beveled.
http://home.att.net/~a.a.major/wrapup.htm

as for the kopesh, it's so integral to the non-empires that i'd prefer we make our own. You can pick and chose what you like though of course, and i still haven't put up a photo of the one i saw, which was really cool :P.

edit:

I got the chariot, thanks !

Leo - sorry to hear that, but thanks for the good will anyhow .

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 06-24-2008 @ 10:07 AM).]

PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 24 June 2008 12:42 EDT (US)     131 / 253       
Ok il keep that shield and then make a beveled version, for the kopesh you want it that way? the google images i turned up were more like the greek sword falcata:

http://swordforum.com/swd/dt/dt-falcata-largesand.jpg
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 24 June 2008 15:09 EDT (US)     132 / 253       
Ok heres the kopesh i made:

[JPEG, (82.89 KB)]

Actually everything is modeled, no Alpha textures and i gave one side a serrated edge, don't mind the texture, again, you can redo that.

EDIT:That wierd texture along the edge of the kopesh's blade is just my attempt at texturing a sword edge, it failed...horribly.

[This message has been edited by PrivateClark (edited 06-24-2008 @ 03:12 PM).]

PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 24 June 2008 19:28 EDT (US)     133 / 253       
Nikich
Legionary
posted 25 June 2008 01:43 EDT (US)     134 / 253       
um on the Hittite chariots u have 3 people... one is controlling the chariots and the other 2 have spears... historically there were also 3 people... one controlled the chariot, one shot from a bow and had a quiver of arrows attached on the side of the chariot, and the third had a shield with which he protected his friends. However, it was not uncommon for him to have a spear along with his shield... just some history info.
Ischenous
Legionary
posted 25 June 2008 11:18 EDT (US)     135 / 253       
Having two different weapons out at the same time may not work. I don't know.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 25 June 2008 15:17 EDT (US)     136 / 253       
SrJames, I found an article/thread you should read.

It's called "What a mod leader should know."

Read the OP at least, the rest is mostly just comments.

PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 25 June 2008 16:02 EDT (US)     137 / 253       
Heres the throwstick i just made 5 minutes ago: I took the texture from the reference pic.

And heres a movie i made of how i THINK its supposed tobe thrown :

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l14/PvtClark_2006/?action=view¤t=41b67dec.flv

[This message has been edited by PrivateClark (edited 06-25-2008 @ 04:05 PM).]

Leo IV
Legionary
(id: leonadas_IV)
posted 26 June 2008 00:12 EDT (US)     138 / 253       
The problem actualy right now is that im working two jobs, so i spend most of the day at work. But i quit one of my jobs in july so after that i should have more time.

LEO IV
Pugna Concusio ~ Fight the Oppression
Army Commander
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 26 June 2008 00:16 EDT (US)     139 / 253       
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 26 June 2008 01:11 EDT (US)     140 / 253       
It's a very nice throwstick, but tell me, how is it different from a boomerang?

Nikich
Legionary
posted 26 June 2008 02:14 EDT (US)     141 / 253       
Does the throwstick return to the user or will they just have a bag of them?
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 26 June 2008 11:39 EDT (US)     142 / 253       
It's a very nice throwstick, but tell me, how is it different from a boomerang?
No idea, thats the image i got off google when i searched "Throwstick Egypt". I suppose they just have a bag of them that they just throw...
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 27 June 2008 09:29 EDT (US)     143 / 253       
hello from italy!

kopesh - the photo i included represented the metropolitan museum's concept of a kopesh, and it fits with other representations that i've seen...other places may show different images but i think scholarly sources are the best way to go for now.

throwstick - i don't have time to check your research but it looks good to me (except that the ones at the museum all had one end longer and heavier...this might be optional). the difference between it and a boomerang is that it's not from australia :P (and though i can't see the video the papyruses showed them all overhand). no course that i found said how many were carried, but i can't imagine it was many (i have a sneaking suspicion that it was only 1)

body shield - this was the first image i found http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/18844/000cimspearman.jpgthat resembled what i mean, it's the same as the first one you made but oblong (to cover the body) and with tighter holes and the guard extending past.

mod leader thread - its interesting, but i don't really have the intention of being a "mod leader," of organizing and assembling a team with a heirarchy or deadlines. I have a career where i can pretend to be important all day. if someone wants to step in and organize this, more power to them (though they will certainly see me leave), and if someone wants to help out (as people have and are), then welcome aboard, but this is a hobby endevour and nobody should make the mistake of thinking it is anything but.

the chariot is looking good and i did get it skinned but my computer suffered like, TOTAL DEATH right before i left for Firenze, so I don't have the tools here to do proper work this month and those files are all locked up until i alvage the harddrive in august. so sad. but nobody should be feeling poorly if they are also not producing this month (leo :P), because they aren't alone.

[This message has been edited by SrJamesTyrrel (edited 06-27-2008 @ 09:35 AM).]

impspy
Legionary
posted 27 June 2008 09:51 EDT (US)     144 / 253       
did you remember to add the Caananites? (or is that to early for this mod?)

"He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword..." Matt 26,52b
"Viva Christo Rey!" Miguel Pro, and numerous other Catholics who were martyred for their faith in Spain and Mexico in the early 20th century.
Winner of the 2008 TWH Seraph elections.
Unchallenged master of EAW Heaven
Ah, but for a return to Christendom, darn Reformation.
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 27 June 2008 12:31 EDT (US)     145 / 253       
kopesh - the photo i included represented the metropolitan museum's concept of a kopesh, and it fits with other representations that i've seen...other places may show different images but i think scholarly sources are the best way to go for now.
Ok well i ended up making one based off the picture you took at the Met so that should be fine, except its crappy texture...
throwstick - i don't have time to check your research but it looks good to me (except that the ones at the museum all had one end longer and heavier...this might be optional). the difference between it and a boomerang is that it's not from australia :P (and though i can't see the video the papyruses showed them all overhand). no course that i found said how many were carried, but i can't imagine it was many (i have a sneaking suspicion that it was only 1)
Okay, thats done then.
body shield - this was the first image i found http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/18844/000cimspearman.jpgthatresembled what i mean, it's the same as the first one you made but oblong (to cover the body) and with tighter holes and the guard extending past.
Ok, is it slightly curved inwards?
the chariot is looking good and i did get it skinned but my computer suffered like, TOTAL DEATH right before i left for Firenze, so I don't have the tools here to do proper work this month and those files are all locked up until i alvage the harddrive in august. so sad. but nobody should be feeling poorly if they are also not producing this month (leo :P), because they aren't alone.
I hope its nothing wrong with the model...?
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 27 June 2008 13:46 EDT (US)     146 / 253       
Ok, i just finished the Body Shield based off that picture you gave me, wasnt sure if it was curved or not so i did both...

The one on the left is curved the other is flat.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the shield uses mirror so you only need to texture half and then the other flips the texture over (like the RTW ones but half).

EDIT 2: Just quickly made the spear that the guy is using in the picture:

[This message has been edited by PrivateClark (edited 06-27-2008 @ 02:07 PM).]

Nikich
Legionary
posted 28 June 2008 00:19 EDT (US)     147 / 253       
OK sir James! Check ur donteatbadgers e-mail cuz i sent this cool picture of a battle and an idea for the Caananites!
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 02 July 2008 13:47 EDT (US)     148 / 253       
PrivateClark
Legionary
posted 08 July 2008 23:38 EDT (US)     149 / 253       
anything new happening here? im not able to do anymore modeling til the 17th as im on vacation.
SrJamesTyrrel
Legionary
posted 16 July 2008 07:52 EDT (US)     150 / 253       
Good work PC,

I'm still in Italy and will be until the first, so not much news except that i'm picking up a great deal of information here about ancient buildings and climate etc .
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames