You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Pesky Peasants
Bottom
Topic Subject:Pesky Peasants
jgenard
Legionary
posted 27 February 2019 08:19 EDT (US)         
Hi,
I changed Peasants' formations into squares in the export_descr_unit file (I really hate the cumbersome horde formation, and I figured that, even in ancient times, people would be organized enough to stand in a straight line, like the peasants of MTW2).
Then I edited the formation line, to put them a bit further apart (1.2 meters to 1.6 and 1.8 to 2) and I added a barb_standard (in BI it's just a swordsman, which is realistic enough, I guess).
But now, when fighting, the peasants sort of weirdly file INTO eachother (within their own unit), and take an enormously long time to kill other peasants. I don't yet know what happens when fighting more professional troops.
Please advise.
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 27 February 2019 12:29 EDT (US)     1 / 3       
Changing the horde to a square is an easy edit, as you know. Likewise, expanding the size of the horde should have little effect on the behavior of the peasants.

I think adding the barb_standard might be throwing a monkey wrench into your operation. Peasants are farmers with butter knives. Anyone who could afford a sword became a soldier. (Note- arms and armor were expensive back then.)

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
jgenard
Legionary
posted 02 March 2019 15:51 EDT (US)     2 / 3       
Adding the barb_standard was indeed the underlying problem. I just wanted to add a captain-like figure, which I would assume was quite plausible, since they would need some sort of experienced commander. Oh well, never mind.
I decided against changing the peasants' formation, but packed them closer together (the width and breadth of the horde formation for peasants was always the most annoying part) and it still looks like a mob, but just a bit less comfortable. I like it.
I also gave the Eastern-Germanic peasants and the Runaway Slave spears the ability of schiltrom, and the Saxon peasants can now do shield-wall just for variation =) They don't do better in battle, but they do look a bit more organised.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 03 March 2019 05:40 EDT (US)     3 / 3       
I am glad you figured it out.

Enjoy your game!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames