You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Proto-Slavic Character names
Bottom
Topic Subject:Proto-Slavic Character names
jgenard
Legionary
posted 17 March 2019 06:28 EDT (US)         
Hi, I followed the adivce given by Aradan for editing character names, and changed the random Germanic character names for the Slavic faction in BI to a buttload of Early Slavic names. I added them under the names for the 'slavs' in descr_names.txt (and deleted the Germanic ones, just under this specific faction, obviously), and then I copied them into names.txt. I then checked whether I had to change anything in descr_strat.txt and tried it. It CTD'd. In the campaign as well as in custom battles, when it randomly generates captain's names as well... I've double check it all, I checked for typos, I re-checked descr_strat, but I can't find any specific family member names for the Slavs. Are there any campaign scripts related to the Slavs that list the starting character names (when they enter the campaign map) or something?
What am I doing wrong?
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 17 March 2019 10:13 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
I remember trying to do the same a decade ago, but in my case it was another faction.

It seems there are three text files that govern names. When you are done with your editing, ALL THREE must match exactly (same spelling, same order).

I think you forgot to edit the descr_names_lookup.txt.

Did that do the trick?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 18 March 2019 21:35 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Also, when you say that you copied them into names.txt, did you follow the {name} name format?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
jgenard
Legionary
posted 21 March 2019 08:04 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
Hey thanks for responding. It's weird cause my patch isn't supposed to need the names_lookup anymore.

I still have to do a campaign in which the Slavs appear, so I don't know if they crash the campaign, but I HAVE tried it out with custom battles, and that worked! If the emergent hordes of the Slavs are generated with random names (and I can find nothing defining them more specifically in descr_strat or other files), there shouldn't be a problem, as the randomly generated captain's names in custom battles worked fine. Much better than those generic Germanic names!

But now I want to enhance the Saxon faction.
I've added a ton of actual Saxon, Angle and Jutish names, like Wihtgils, Offa, Ęželfriž (the game can handle the ž's and ∂'s which is awesome, especially for the Saxons and Gothic factions) some surnames (like of the Iclingas, of the Ēotenas, etc) and they all appear just fine in-game. The only problem is I don't seem to be able to edit the characters defined in descr_strat. The file can take some basic editing, but I run into CTD's every time. I've done pretty much everything according to Aradan's guide, with the brackets, the three seperate files that need to be edited and everything.
For example: I want to delete all of the generic barbarian names for the Saxon faction, but I realize deleting the names for the starting characters might be dangerous, so I left them in, but deleted all Saxon names unused by descr_strat, and I hoped the newly generated characters would only have my recently added names. But i got a CTD, again and again, after endlessly checking if I got something wrong...
I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 25 March 2019 00:40 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
I played around with names in both vanilla Rome and BI, and found that, for some reason, it doesn't like having a "the" in a name. For instance, I gave all of the starting characters in original Rome last names and wanted to call the Briton family members "the Briton", but that kept causing CTD. However, when I changed them to "of Londinium", it worked just fine. Try taking out all surnames with "the" in them and see if it works. Also, you should also be able to edit the characters in descr_strat.txt without issues, so long as you change all instances of their names and follow formatting correctly.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
jgenard
Legionary
posted 25 March 2019 11:13 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Hey thanks,
the Slavic names now work perfectly, and I've since added tribe names (in the format of 'of the Ēotenas') to Saxons, Franks, Vandals and I'm working on other factions. I find this greatly improves role-playing aspects of it, because your ruling family doesn't have surnames, but the adopted or in-law family members do, which is cool, I think.

I've run into another problem, though: some of the Saxon surnames don't get into the game, and many (more than half) of the Frankish & Vandal ones don't either. Is there some limit to how many surnames a faction can have? Surely not, since the Romans have a large amount. Surely it can't be spelling, since the surnames that have gotten through have all got į's, ∂'s, and ž's. So I can't for the life of me understand what the reason is. I've checked descr_names.txt and names.txt repeatedly for typos or stray underscores, but still it doesn't seem to work perfectly.

EDIT: I've found out what is going wrong, but can't seem to fix it: the game only uses every other surname, so if I would have the following:

of the Winnilan
of the Hēažubaršan
of the Hēažoreaman
of the Gefižan
of the Herśljan
of the Žuringan

the game will only display:
of the Winnilan
of the Hēažoreaman
of the Herśljan

It's very frustrating. If I move them into a different order, it does the same...

[This message has been edited by jgenard (edited 03-25-2019 @ 11:42 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 25 March 2019 12:49 EDT (US)     6 / 7       
Try putting them in twice, one afte rthe other? That way it has to take one, skip the other, then to new name, etc.

An idea?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
jgenard
Legionary
posted 26 March 2019 09:03 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
I've seemingly fixed them by leaving space between each line. Weird, but not annoying...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames