You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Huge Cities Population Growth
Bottom
Topic Subject:Huge Cities Population Growth
jgenard
Legionary
posted 27 March 2019 09:34 EDT (US)         
Hi, I'd like to mod cities, so they get a pop growth decrease when they reach 'Huge City' level.

I know I'm constantly shifting peasants here and there to control the population, and when cities reach their max size, you lose any way to alleviate that, except by endlessly spamming peasants.
I thought a good way to do this would be by putting the reverse of a population growth bonus on the highest level of the 'governor's house' line of buildings (the 'core_building', I think).

Would that work? And how would one go about adding that trait to that building in export_descr_buildings.txt?
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 28 March 2019 13:49 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
I spam peasants, and when a plague comes along, send somebody to catch it and travel to the city. Otherwise I let the f*ckers revolt while I move armies in and then exterminate the place. I usually have no more trouble after that for a while.

There is a bonus in Pop Growth for Farms and walls, I believe. I do not believe you can add a negative number (maybe you can, never tried it) but I do know you can remove that Pop Growth bonus.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 03-28-2019 @ 01:50 PM).]

General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 31 March 2019 03:55 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
I tested putting a negative sign in front of the population growth bonus on the top level market, and it works; it doesn't show up the same way that the bonus does, but it does cause negative growth. You could also copy that line onto the top level governor's palace.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
jgenard
Legionary
posted 04 April 2019 10:09 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
Oh, that's awesome! If balanced right, this would mean I could finally cure my campaigns of that endless loop of growth, revolt and extermination (I don't build farms & sanitation buildings anymore).
Usually when a huge city is close to rebellion, I spam peasants, move them out of the city, destroy military buildings (this ensures my peasants will be facing an army of peasants) before exterminating them. But this is a dull task (and especially annoying when playing the Empires in BI.

I can imagine the Emperors doing unspeakable stuff, but I can't imagine them systematically slaughtering their own populace because they were too numerous...

Thanks, guys! I'm gonna try it out.

EDIT: I tried it. It shows up as Population Growth Bonus -15%, but it doesn't actually DO anything. The population growth hasn't actually decreased. Crap.
I can't increase squalor, cause that would mean more unrest... Does anybody have another suggestion?

[This message has been edited by jgenard (edited 04-05-2019 @ 04:20 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 06 April 2019 06:37 EDT (US)     4 / 5       
There is a cheat code that adds population. I think you can use it to decrease it as well, if you aren't too much into the role-playing bit of the game.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 08 April 2019 22:05 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
-15% seems to be quite high; I did 1% when I tested it, and it seemed to work quite well. Maybe try a smaller number and see if that works- it may well be capped at 10% or so.

Also in the realm of cheat codes is adding traits and ancillaries to your leaders- more influence, more law, better followers, and your cities are happy all of a sudden.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames