You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Adding weapons to a unit
Bottom
Topic Subject:Adding weapons to a unit
jgenard
Legionary
posted 10 April 2020 15:39 EDT (US)         
Hi,
does a weapon type have to be present on a unit's texture file for it to be visible in battle?
For example: I recently added javelins to the Saxon Hearth Troops. But when they throw their javelins they appear to be lobbing their swords at the enemy, until the javelins appear after leaving their hands.
I guess what I'm asking is, is there a way to add visible javelins to units without actually messing with the texture files. I don't need them to carry the javelins around all the time, but it would be nice if they'd appear when they're throwing them.

This would be especially good in BI, at a time when projectile warfare was literally omnipresent, and most soldiers would carry different styles of missiles and armies would trade volleys before closing in for melee slaughter.
AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 13 April 2020 21:28 EDT (US)     1 / 4       
As I recall, all ranged weapons are a unit's primary weapon; you have to change the primary weapon to the ranged weapon and that might fix the issue.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
jgenard
Legionary
posted 01 May 2020 14:32 EDT (US)     2 / 4       
No, sadly that's not it. The javelins are already their primary weapon. They go through all of the movements but the javelins don't show up. I'm guessing it must be the textures, then.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 04 May 2020 11:39 EDT (US)     3 / 4       
When I was creating my Vikings with SubRosa, she managed to successfully import Saxon troops into RTWH and equip them with swords for normal use, axes for throwing.

We did not mess around with meshes and the like until after we got the basics working. The other way around should work as well- as long as the swords or javelins have a mesh or whatnot already in the files, it is a matter of editing a file to put it in their hands and let them fly.

Don't give up- it should be possible.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 06 May 2020 03:02 EDT (US)     4 / 4       
In 3ds Max, units can have a primary weapon and a secondary weapon.

If your unit is a missile unit, the spear/javelin/pilum should be the primary weapon, and the sword or dagger should be secondary weapon.

You can import the hastati to see the two weapons on it and use it as an example.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames