You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Insufficient Video Memory issue when modding textures
Bottom
Topic Subject:Insufficient Video Memory issue when modding textures
BlackFlag042
Legionary
posted 24 June 2020 20:26 EDT (US)         
Hi all,

I've been working on a mod recently and I've been retexturing a lot of units. All has been working fine but now whenever I try to load a battle with fiveish or more different modded units I get a crash and a generic error saying that there was insufficient video memory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 25 June 2020 20:45 EDT (US)     1 / 4       
What hardware are you running? I haven't done any meaningful modding on unit textures, but at a guess, by retexturing them, you've increased how much graphics memory the game requires. And if you don't have a big enough graphics card or if usage is restricted at all, it stops working.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
BlackFlag042
Legionary
posted 26 June 2020 05:52 EDT (US)     2 / 4       
I'm on an RTX 2080 Super which is why I'm rather confused. Remaking some of the textures seemed to help but it does seem kind of random unfortunately.
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 26 June 2020 16:50 EDT (US)     3 / 4       
That's very strange indeed! Is it possible that there's some sort of corruption or damage to the textures taking place when you're modding them? That might explain why redoing them seems to help.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
BlackFlag042
Legionary
posted 26 June 2020 20:27 EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Who knows. It seems to be only happening in extreme cases tho so it's not too much of a worry. Some textures hadn't generated mipmaps properly so I think that caused at least some of the crashes. Anyways, thanks for trying to help =)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames