You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.62 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Lord of the Steppes: Scythia Swap Game
Bottom
Topic Subject:Lord of the Steppes: Scythia Swap Game
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 18 November 2013 23:41 EDT (US)         
Hail Warlords!

Today, we begin our quest to take the world with sword and fire! From the steppes, we shall issue forth, sweeping all before us.

Please give your advice and comments below.

Our current order for Supreme Commander is:
1- General Sajaru
2- Hannibal the Conqueror
3- Awesome Eagle

Drop-In Generals (offered a chance at end of every cycle):
Alex the Bold

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 19 November 2013 00:12 EDT (US)     1 / 62       
So for my first turn, I begin by building a few buildings- on this limited a budget, we can't get much done fast.

Looking around us, our logical enemies are the Thracians to the south- they aren't very strong, and are on the path to taking Greece- so I sent my spy to take a look at them. Back at home, we're already getting bandit troubles, but I decide to wait a turn to deal with them when I have some more troops. Ending the turn, we're still in the black.

However, now we can get some barbarian cavalry, and 1 experienced barbarian cavalry at that- I know Scythia is known for its horse archers, but some real cavalry can't hurt. Meanwhile, I take on the bandits out near our other city- it's an army of three archers. Against most bandits, I'd probably stand off with the horse archers, but since they are archers as well, I just go ahead and charge!

That easily finishes them off, without any losses.

For the next turn, I start off by besieging the Thracians- it's about time we got this show on the road. I build two rams for the archers to man- we're probably going to need some other infantry pretty soon. Either that or a better spy. Even with declaring war on the Thracians, we still end up in the black.

The rams are built, but a second Thracian army is coming north to fight as well. So it's time to take the city!

I array our forces before the gate, with the rams to either side- with only 4 enemy units, I figure we can storm the gate pretty easily once we're inside. While their militia cavalry have a little missile duel with our horse archers and manage to kill a few, it's a fight they quickly lose. Then it's time to advance into the city and deal with the two units of general's bodyguard and the peltast in the main square. Figuring that the best method is a coup de main, I just send all of our cavalry up the main street and charge their weak Greek generals head-on.

They break, and our horde of cavalry sweeps into the main square and to victory!

We take a few loses, but pretty reasonable considering their two family members lost. That leaves us with just the small second army to the south, but I decide to ignore it for a turn and see what happens.

As it turns out, the Thracians decide to ask for a ceasefire, and are willing to pay me for the privilege! That little transaction, along with taking their city puts us firmly in the black for the end of the turn.

As things stand, we've taken one city, don't have any current enemies, and have a nice budget to work with.

Now, on to the leadership of Hannibal!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 19 November 2013 12:04 EDT (US)     2 / 62       
Nice write up!

Inspiring; it makes me want to ditch half my workload and join in!

(Maybe that will happen soon anyway)

Nice job so far.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Alex_the_Bold
Legionary
posted 19 November 2013 15:06 EDT (US)     3 / 62       
Excellent work General! Now that we have a full treasury, we can develop a stronger economy.

I think we should also capture Chersonesus to create a strong trading presence in the Black Sea...

May the Scythians rule the world!

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 19 November 2013 15:58 EDT (US)     4 / 62       
I think we should also capture Chersonesus to create a strong trading presence in the Black Sea...
We do already have 3 ports on the Black Sea- 2 actually built right now- but owning Chersonesus certainly wouldn't hurt.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 21 November 2013 23:35 EDT (US)     5 / 62       
Good Job GS! A great start to an empire!

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04 December 2013 05:28 EDT (US)     6 / 62       
And the next update is.... ?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 04 December 2013 05:47 EDT (US)     7 / 62       
.... when Alex replies to GS' emails and i quickly get my computer back in order after receiving it. so hopefully i will be ready in a few days.

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 04 December 2013 11:32 EDT (US)     8 / 62       
My apologies; I sent the save to Hannibal, who is apparently MIA, and then to AE (but I forgot his computer is out of action). If Alex would like to play some turns now, I will send it to him. Otherwise, perhaps you might like a turn, Imperator?

Alex_the_Bold
Legionary
posted 04 December 2013 16:07 EDT (US)     9 / 62       
I'm currently in the middle of an exam period, so I won't be able to play any turns for at least a week. Feel free to pass the save...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 06 December 2013 00:58 EDT (US)     10 / 62       
Sorry Alex Bold for confusion- i was refering to other Alex- aka Hannibal. My apologies if i sounded out of place.

Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 10 December 2013 12:11 EDT (US)     11 / 62       
Oh. I didn't check on my email because I'm prepping for some tests next week. Sorry.

But I'm free, regardless.

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."

[This message has been edited by Hannibal the Conqueror (edited 12-10-2013 @ 12:12 PM).]

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 10 December 2013 14:11 EDT (US)     12 / 62       
So your right to play a couple turns? Real Life should come first though..

General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 11 December 2013 04:26 EDT (US)     13 / 62       
If you have the time, the save is in your inbox.

Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
posted 11 December 2013 05:42 EDT (US)     14 / 62       
Yeah. I'll get to it today.

I've got my RL priorities straight, and the tests have quite an interval in between so I can slack off a bit.

"I long for Darkness."

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
posted 12 December 2013 15:55 EDT (US)     15 / 62       
I begin my reign, and see the great gains General Sajaru had made during his own.

Taking into consideration other factors, occurrences and conquests that will no doubt be made, I lay down a plan for the duration of my reign. The main emphasis for expansion will be into Macedonia then Greece. These are rich lands - rich in people, and resources. If we secure those we will limit the expansion of the so-called 'civilised' peoples and gain a tremendous amount of wealth in the process. Even their legions will be no match to our horsemen. Off we go.

---------------------------------------------

I begin the construction of a couple of structures over here and in Tanais, consuming about 2,000 denarii. Not much, considering the fortunes we will get from these economic buildings.

Liapos does not have much to report from Thracia, only a single force is patrolling the Thracian countryside. Now would be a good time to strike.

We initiate the retraining process of a couple Scythian Horse Archer bands, they will need the improvement on the field of battle.

Other than training two new Horsemen units at Getae, I do not have much else to do, so I end turn.

Liapos manages to uncover very useful information. It seems the Thracians are sending their forces out into Dacian territory, and out of their utter foolishness, have forgotten us, those whom they have fought only a few months ago. I intend to capitalize on this situation, and plan on sending our faction leader along with a sizable force.

Sarmatae appears to be on the verge of rebellion, so the governor starts constructing a shrine to Papay, hoping to please the mighty gods.

For some reason I feel those two are up to something, so I will leave a force here to defend our lands until Zipoetes wipes out the Thracian fools.

Zipoetes leads his men to a single turn's distance away from the Thracian capital. It shall not be long before these pathetic people perish off the face of this earth.

I move Liapos out of Tylis, to prevent detection, furthering our chance of seizing Tylis.

Now, Liapos has infiltrated the city once again, and there is a small chance that if Zipoetes besieges it, that he will open the gates. Let us hope the odds are in our favor.

The gods favor us! We assault Tylis!

Our first step towards glory started in Campus Getae, and now we shall continue sweeping across the land, like an unstoppable tide. The battle begins.

Wood or stone - these walls will not stop us.

The foolish Thracians place a skirmisher group at what used to be a gate of theirs.

They flee like ants than face their death like true men! As their honor was lost, their lives will be too.

The skirmishers are destroyed, and the gates are breached.

The enemy general flees. But not before he takes some of our men's lives with him.

Victory! But our victory is not complete before the enemy is obliterated.

Thrace, is no more.

We gain a load of money by exterminating the settlement. Our other settlements are not large enough to absorb a large influx of slaves.

I offer trade rights to the Armenians in exchange for a small tribute, and they accept.

Liapos reports no military presence around Tylis, except for the rebel family members whom Zipoetes cannot slay for his men are exhausted.

The Parthians offer trade rights and their map information, we accept.

The Macedons violate our territory, but I send Liapos forth into Macedonian territory, he discovers another larger Macedon force nearby, but is not large enough to pose a threat. We will let them be for a while, perhaps they will deal with the rebels for us.

The rebels to the Dacian side are obliterated, and we retake our watchtower.

The Macedons offer us trade rights and map information. We accept.

We attack the rebel general Sautes. His force is made up of peltasts and skirmish cavalry. An easy task for our horsearchers.

With minimal casualties, we remove most of the rebel forces on our land.

Not much left to do, I end turn.

This man thinks he is worthy of royal blood. He lacks in other important areas, and is 29, but I think he will be a fine addition to our family.

At the moment our financial status is excellent. The construction of economic buildings is underway in most of our settlements, and we are gaining almost 5000 denarii per turn. Byzantium is also within striking distance of Zipoetes' army, and it's conquest could grant us access to gold-rich areas.

I leave the scepter with the mighty Awesome Eagle. May the gods be in our favor!

"I long for Darkness."

[This message has been edited by Hannibal the Conqueror (edited 12-12-2013 @ 03:58 PM).]

General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 12 December 2013 21:22 EDT (US)     16 / 62       
Excellent progress Hannibal! Already our enemies fall before us like wheat before the scythe.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 13 December 2013 04:19 EDT (US)     17 / 62       
Well done. The pesky Thracians reduced to cleaning feces from the hooves of our horses, and a handful of nations offering us gold and maps. I also noticed that we are set for continued expansion of the steppe Lords into the lands of the Hellenes.

Good. I like olives.

Well led and well-reported, Hannibal.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 15 December 2013 15:40 EDT (US)     18 / 62       
Received. I have a day off on Wednesday so will play my turns then. Good work Hannibal!!

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 18 December 2013 04:58 EDT (US)     19 / 62       
Played my turns and am sending the save to GS. Write up will be posted tomorrow(due to appalling internet at home i have to take my laptop to work and use that.)

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 18 December 2013 18:31 EDT (US)     20 / 62       
Sorry for triple post, but here is my reign:

Turn 1- Winter 265 BC

Campus Sarmatae can be expanded so a Warlords hold is constructed, and a unit of peasants is recruited

In Tanais, some peasants are recruited to watch the town, and Belniari is sent on a scouting mission to construct watchtowers and pay informants to watch the countryside from bandits

In campus Scythii, a market is ordered to boost our income. Palacus is also sent on a mission to explore the countryside.

Sure enough he finds more bandits. So reinforcements are sent to quell the unruly peasants and battle is commenced.

They are crushed

Palacus has the makings of a fine commander

Rebels near Campus Scythii are also dealt with, at no casualties to our men. Unfortunately no Man of the Hour though.

Zipoetes builds a watchtower then moves and besieges Byzantium where two rams are built and some Thracian mercenaries are hired to push them. The Garrison of Byzantium is weak and should crumble under an assault.

The turn is completed.

Turn 2- Summer 264BC

We have a new General, Ziaelas. Although only 16, this man will come in useful and is sent Westward along with Partatua.

Campus Alanni is ready for expansion and a Warlords hold is ordered.

An assault on Byzantium is ordered.

It is successful and the enemy is crushed. Our casualties came from the mercs.

The population is enslaved.

Trade rights, map information for map information are asked of the people Pontus.

They are accepted.

The turn is completed

Turn 3- Winter 264BC

While building watchtowers, Zipoetes is ambushed. Battle is commenced.

They are crushed and learn of justice.

Partatua encounters another rebel army.

They are also crushed.

After some building, watch tower erection and recruitment, my turn ends.

Germania offers trade rights and map information

I accept

Turn 4- Summer 264BC

Another rebel army is spotted near Campus Alanni. Elder Partatua is sent to destroy them.

They follow their cousin’s fate

Besides more building and recruiting, the turn is uneventful.

Turn 5- Winter 263BC

We are greeted with a suitable husband. He is young and military talented. We shall accept.

Palacus is to be the leader of our invasion of Greece, and is sent towards Macedonia to await reinforcements and an suitable opportunity to strike.

Meanwhile, other Palacus is sent with a expeditionary force towards Dacia. Looks like we have many same named generals. He will await however, scouting reports on the Dacian defences and numbers. By annexing the province of Dacia, we will be securing our boarder.

Belnirari and his army near on the Crimea. By securing this province our underbelly will be secured and dominance over the black sea that little bit closer.

I end the turn.

Turn 6- Summer 262BC

I offer the selucids trade rights, map information in return for map information.

They accept.

Belniari lays eyes on the Chersonesos. It seems lightly defended, but out of movement he has to wait.

I end the turn.

Turn 7- Winter 262BC

Belniari besieges Chersonesos, but with infantry and no mercs available, we will have to wait the 4 turns to starve out the enemy.

Palacus begins his invasion of Dacia by attacking some Dacian field armies.

We crush some, but the rest retreat before engaging our army, the cowards….

The Dacian field army retreats to Porrolissum and hides. Palacus pursues but Is unable to commence a siege.

Meanwhile, in Macedonia, Southern Palacus is almost ready to begin a siege of Bylazora, but is waiting on reinforcements to commence his attack in later in the year.

So this is how I leave our nation to the next commander. Our finances have lessened due to empire wide building and watchtower construction, but our armies have never been larger, and are on the cusp of taking or besieging 3 settlements. Some of our generals are spread building watchtowers and should soon return to more fulfilling duties. It shall be up to the next leader of our nation to win more glory!

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 19 December 2013 07:30 EDT (US)     21 / 62       
Nicely done, and so cheaply!

Our bows sing in the victory; our horses trample upon those who would defy our flying toothpicks.

And the Hellenes? Where are my olives?

Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
posted 19 December 2013 09:24 EDT (US)     22 / 62       
Great work AE. Our empire grows, and our enemies perish. Another step in the road to domination.

"I long for Darkness."

General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 20 December 2013 21:18 EDT (US)     23 / 62       
Excellent job AE. I have received the save and shall complete my turns in the next day or so.

Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
posted 21 December 2013 10:16 EDT (US)     24 / 62       
Oddly enough, I posted in the wrong thread. Please delete this, thanks.

"I long for Darkness."

[This message has been edited by Hannibal the Conqueror (edited 12-21-2013 @ 10:17 AM).]

General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 25 December 2013 21:08 EDT (US)     25 / 62       
And we're back:

We start out with several sieges underway: Porrolissum, Chersonesos, and an army outside Bylazora.

At Porrolissum, we're waiting for some infantry to push the rams before we assault. Outside of Bylazora, there's a second Macedonian army, so instead of trying to do a siege battle, I opt to attack the army outside and draw both armies into a field battle, since the odds are fairly good:

We win with moderate losses:

However, some of them get away, so we have to put the city under siege again. Throughout this time, we're doing quite well money-wise.

Up at Porrolissum, we're fighting a pretty decent Dacian garrison, and the odds are only slightly in our favor. The battle starts well, with our archers cutting down the enemy:

But we end up losing quite a few troops, including our general:

Down at Bylazora, we're ready to take on the survivors. Since they just have a few cavalry units and some archers, I charge all of our cavalry in and overwhelm them with sheer force of numbers:

During the next turn, the Seleucids want an alliance, which I grant, and we take Chersonesos. Our capital city has expanded, so I build the necessary buildings to take it to the next level- pretty soon we'll have some really good cavalry.

Meanwhile, down in Greece, the Macedonians are gathering their forces, but haven't made a move yet. Our main army has retrained in Bylazora and is ready to move on to the next target.

However, we need to deal with the Dacians first. Sallying forth from our city, the odds are against us, but we win anyway:

At the end of my reign, we're building a fancy stables in our capital city and a grove to make some head hunting maidens in the city to the south. Down in Greece, since the Macedonians have moved away from their city, I've put it under siege:

Up north, we're preparing to engage another army from the Dacians with a pair of leaders of our own:

And on the steppes, we have some bandit trouble to sort out.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames