You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval & Shogun: Total War

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval & Shogun: Total War » A Few Things I ONly Recently Appreciated
Bottom
Topic Subject:A Few Things I ONly Recently Appreciated
MisplacedPope
Legionary
(id: misplacedgeneral)
posted 20 December 2007 22:29 EDT (US)         
I have always stated that MTWI is my favorite total war game (and also the best, personal opinion, though)

But recently, I discovered some things which really make MTWI better than the others.

Your actions have more effect on your leaders, retreat from battle, negative trait, flee in combat, negative trait, fight bravely against massive numbers, earn positive trait. All very different, as well. A greater variance in traits.

It is the one game where I have noticed a difference in commanders on the field having high command rating, an excellent leader can make a whole load of difference on the battle, because of valor level increasing.

Valor level, happens to be another thing, it is by far the superior of "experience" mostly because it is logically gained and lost and also more noticeably effective. Units with high valor tend to be able to overcome better armed units with low valor, logical, really.

Fighting with infantry and cavalry in forest actually has an effect. Pole-armed infantry in a forest are almost guaranteed to dominate opposing cavalry (take that Mongols!) while your own cavalry is liable to be slain in a forest.

I noticed recently in a game that had a little road cutting through a piece of the map, flanked by forest, the AI actually formed the cavalry in a column so that they would not be forced to enter the woods, it was just interesting, really. The AI responds to the environment better.

And of course, there are the thousands of other things which I discuss routinely, anywho, just found these interesting.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
AuthorReplies:
Emperor Augustus
Legionary
posted 20 December 2007 23:31 EDT (US)     1 / 6       
I quite liked fighting Mongols. If I could get halberdiers, I'd just park an army in a province with a river and block one end with halberds, rotating them as they tired and constantly shooting with crossbows and other ranged units.

Was quite fun to see casualties of theirs going well into the thousands. And I agree, the AI thought about things a lot more.
Wolfpsyco
Legionary
posted 20 December 2007 23:56 EDT (US)     2 / 6       
Another thing, two things actually, cavalry would also stop in the face of a spear wall automatically, no matter what your or the AI's orders were. Which I liked since horses aren't dumb enough to run into something like that, where it happens quite plainly in RTW and MTW II. However, I didn't like the fact that high ranking generals (5 and above) were common and that 10 star generals weren't so hard to obtain. Or at least that was my own experience of the game, which I haven't played in many years...
General_II
Legionary
posted 21 December 2007 02:08 EDT (US)     3 / 6       
I liked the trait system being more active in MTW. Luckily, the AI seems to have improved in Kindgoms. Also, thoughts on acumen as a trait? It seems to have been "re-used" in the Britannia Kingdoms campaign fairly well.
MisplacedPope
Legionary
(id: misplacedgeneral)
posted 21 December 2007 07:06 EDT (US)     4 / 6       
We are talking about the original MTW, not MTWII, which pales in comparison.

Flee!

Did you really have that problem Wolf? I found that it was rare, usually depending on a monarch with military abilities to have well trained children.

One thing I love is launching a Crusade and getting other families to send their children of royal blood into your army. In my Italian campaign, two Hungarian princes joined my army.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
General_II
Legionary
posted 21 December 2007 15:47 EDT (US)     5 / 6       
That's right. The Crusades were an awesome feature. Required an investment too.
Emperor Augustus
Legionary
posted 21 December 2007 19:34 EDT (US)     6 / 6       
Heh. As Spain I once sent a 14000 man crusading army up to Russia because I was trying to get rid of my lighter infantry. I got them to their destination in one turn, thanks to my navy. It was awesome, within maybe five turns I had most of the north west firmly under my control.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames