Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: War Dogs v. Phalanx
posted 11 October 2004 15:29 EDT (US)   
I was never really sure what good the war dogs could do. I thought at most they may take on some skirmishers or light infantry, which they do, but certainly not any "Real" units. Wrong. I was in greece and the phalanxs were giving me trouble, I could win but at a high cost of men. So I decided if very professional formations like phalanxs were giving me trouble then I would go to the other side of the spectrum for a counter. I got 2 groups of war dogs and attacked 2 phalanxs that we trying to flank me. End result is 140 of 144 spearmen dead and I lost only 9 dogs. I guess those spears just can't get the dogs
Replies:
posted 11 October 2004 15:33 EDT (US)     1 / 14  
yeah those war dogs tear so much stuff up - it's really a shame. They must have +4 Armour Piercing Teeth

Men do not become tyrants in order to keep out the cold

- Aristotle -
posted 11 October 2004 15:54 EDT (US)     2 / 14  
phalanxes arent that hard to beat u know. the key is to flank them with calvery (which works like a charm).of course u have to have those hoplites busy with some legions or soemthing before u can flank them.
posted 11 October 2004 16:32 EDT (US)     3 / 14  
I've found phalanxes to be extremely vulnerable to several strategies:

1) flank. easier to do with two units working in tandem, but phallanxes turn so slow, a single cavalry unit can do it with no help, if you control them carefully.

2) wardogs.

3) skirmishers. Any fast missle troops will chew up a phalanx. They're just too slow to close.

4) artillery. My favorite. Three round from a ballista can route most phalanxes. Ouch.

posted 11 October 2004 20:08 EDT (US)     4 / 14  
Wardogs? I was once charged by a unit head on in multiplayer. My Silver Shield Pikemen impaled them. Not a single dog got through.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 12 October 2004 16:32 EDT (US)     5 / 14  
I think their effectiveness has to do with the fact that often phallanxes won't automatically turn to meet their charge. If there is another unit nearby, the phallanx seems to stay facing them, even as wardogs charge in from the side.

Obviously if a human is controlling the phallanx, they can for a turn manually.

posted 12 October 2004 16:48 EDT (US)     6 / 14  
War dogs are PERFECT for running down fleeing men. Keep some behind the line and let them loose on any unit the tries to bail.
posted 12 October 2004 17:59 EDT (US)     7 / 14  
They're also amazing for two more things. Giving a routing unit that final incentive to rout, or to open the fight be causing chaos then sending a real unit to go in and smash 'em.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
posted 12 October 2004 20:53 EDT (US)     8 / 14  

Quote:

4) artillery. My favorite. Three round from a ballista can route most phalanxes. Ouch.

Yup^, not to mention onangers with fire turned on, those simply massacre a phalanx.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
posted 13 October 2004 00:41 EDT (US)     9 / 14  
war dog best ability is they never give up till they get to the enemy. and they will not get attracted to others, soem might see this a weakness. but it is actually pretty unique.
use it wisely can gain u alot benefit.

Wardog is never ment to front charge. the dogs will die soo fast when u do that. flanking is a bad idea cuz they will keep on chasing the running enemy.

good use is to have to wait till mid-stage then use them to chase Skirmishers or archers, since those have skirmisch on, u can have them chase for ever . and they dont stand chance against war dog since they are weak in melee, easy way to get ride of enemy range shooters this way.

posted 13 October 2004 06:23 EDT (US)     10 / 14  
I find them useful only in the Campaign mode because in Custom Battles you only have to worry about getting the Enemy to Rout, not kiling all of them to stop them re-attacking...
posted 13 October 2004 11:24 EDT (US)     11 / 14  
Wardogs are usefull to setup ambushes. Hide your wardogs in forests and release them on the unsuspecting enemy. You'll see them running with their tails between their legs. The enemy... not the dogs.
posted 13 October 2004 12:01 EDT (US)     12 / 14  
Ah! I thought you meant the dogs!
posted 21 October 2004 08:58 EDT (US)     13 / 14  
simple situation on the right flank of a battle RomeVSGauls

There where some rocks in right of the center, so the right flank was so to say alone in this battle.

like this

-----------------xxxx---TTT

the dogs where in the T(rees) and on the top of the hill 1 cohort of hastati. 1 warband came up the hill, hastati throwhing 1 salvo of pilums at them, then the dogs broke out of the trees and look, they routed when they saw the dogs. Then i used the dogs to chase em down, ordered them around the rocks and attacked enemy lines from behind. If i had known this first, i would have placed my equites here too, but i thought they would form up in the plains and these 2 units just where there to hold them off my back.

Ceterum censeo cartaginem
esse delendam.
Im übrigen bin ich der Meinung,
dass Karthago zerstört werden
muß.
posted 21 October 2004 09:01 EDT (US)     14 / 14  
has anyone watched a battle with mass cretan archers against mass phalanxes. the only archer casualties are from friendly fire. the phalanxes get to be cowards and rout after losing 50 men.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » War Dogs v. Phalanx
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames