Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: factions
posted 24 October 2008 18:43 EDT (US)   
i have heard many things about which fraction is the best. I know that many people will have different anwsers but i would like to know which fraction is the easyest or the hardest to play. That includes non playable fractions
thank you

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by awesomated88 (edited 10-24-2008 @ 06:46 PM).]

Replies:
posted 24 October 2008 20:14 EDT (US)     1 / 14  
The Romans are probably the easiest. They have rock solid infantry, which becomes super-heroic in the late game. Italy is also an economic gold mine, so playing them you never have to worry about money. Especially if you play the Brutii, who typically expand right into Greece.

The most difficult are probably Numidia and Thrace. Both have a thin selection of units, start in poor territories (especially the Numdians) and have powerful neighbors.
posted 25 October 2008 10:51 EDT (US)     2 / 14  
Romans are so overpowered that you can be a poor general, fight some appalling battles yet still manage to win. You can't do this with other factions, though once you know how to handle them, I think they're much more powerful. Greece for instance, with its armoured hoplites, can be unstoppable if you understand the rules of how to handle a phalanx. Done right, your men are completely safe behind those spears, and the best Roman units will die on them eventually. With Royal Pikemen and Macedonian and Companion Cavalry, Macedon is also a strong contender, plus they both have excellent economies. Scythia doesn't, but once you know how to handle an army of horse archers, you'll find that almost nothing can touch them. So they're all quite easy to play. Kind of.

Numidia has to be the worst. Until you can recruit legionaries you have nothing but the most dire units in the game to be going on with.
posted 25 October 2008 11:46 EDT (US)     3 / 14  
all factions are easy when you play good enough! -confucius says...

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
posted 26 October 2008 07:01 EDT (US)     4 / 14  
macedonians probably as they command great phalanxes and cavalry
but the greeks hav a great advantage in that there province in syrcause allows easy passage into italy which is vital for world domination haha

most desert armies fair badly in rtw
and gaul almost always eventually dies so yeh

BTW does any1 kno a mod which revelas the whole campaign map for the whole of campaign mode
u kno no fog of war
would u still need spies?

wolf
posted 27 October 2008 08:13 EDT (US)     5 / 14  
The most difficult are probably Numidia and Thrace.
Personally, I have never found Thrace to be very hard. Numidia are beastly, though.

Armenia are quite a hard faction for the first time. I never really played them much until the Armenian swap game (Is that finished, by the way?).

And factions like Gaul who are surrounded and poor have a tough start.
posted 27 October 2008 08:20 EDT (US)     6 / 14  
Dacia is ok if your good enough to blitz thrace but if you make a mistake your sunk.

I would say Numidia then Dacia is the hardest.

/me shudders fighting Synthia with unamored barbarian Dacia troops.
posted 27 October 2008 11:30 EDT (US)     7 / 14  
The Seleucids can be very hard in the early campaign, but after that they have a much easier campaign.

I'd say Numidia is the toughest faction to play as. They start stretched out, their units aren't that great and they have powerful neighbours.

The Romans are probably the easiest because they get a good to excellent economy (depending on the house you play) and a very powerful army. Cavalry (except for generals) is weak before the reforms, but after them it is very good.

Hussarknight
posted 27 October 2008 13:42 EDT (US)     8 / 14  
Yeah Dacia is pretty rough to begin with. The economy is crap and the only way to get out of the hole is to be extremely aggressive immediately, wipe out Thrace, humble Scythia a bit to put them on the back foot, then move into Greece. After that, their swordsmen, cavalry and archers may not have the edge that their counterparts in Britain and Gaul have with their temple upgrades, but they're still very strong and will take some beating.
posted 28 October 2008 03:47 EDT (US)     9 / 14  
egypt is good too and so is britain coz u can literally just build up massively in britain then attack
wolf
posted 31 October 2008 02:30 EDT (US)     10 / 14  
The Roman factions are quite powerful, but I've found a late game Seleucid army is untouchable. The Seleucid cavalry selection is positively nightmarish, and their infantry is almost as tough as their cavalry.
posted 31 October 2008 10:21 EDT (US)     11 / 14  
Seleucids are strong but pretty much a mess to manage early in the campaign.

Macedon is quite well off too, militarily and economically.

| Windows Vista Business Ultimate | Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GHz | 2048MB(2 X 1024MB) RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon Mobility x1400 Graphics with Hypermemory |

| R:TW + R:TR + XGM on 1440x900 Widescreen with AAx8 & AFx16 |
posted 03 November 2008 22:18 EDT (US)     12 / 14  
Well, id have to say romans for best and the hardest dacia i just tried and died lol. But numdia is hard at the start but if you take carthage it becomes easy,for me at least as I'm a good micro manager

“We call Japanese soldiers fanatics when they die rather than surrender, whereas American soldiers who do the same thing are called heroes” - Robert Maynard Hutchins

“The notion that human life is sacred just because it is human life is medieval.” - Peter Singer
posted 11 November 2008 03:36 EDT (US)     13 / 14  
add on to my previous post:
if your good with chariots (which im not) then britain and egypt can own it up on the campaign map but in a custom battle there are probably better choices
wolf
posted 11 November 2008 12:27 EDT (US)     14 / 14  
I think Macedonia is the funnest atleast!

You've got an abysmal beginning units but if you can just continue on Defence, because phalanxes destroy everything when it comes to seige warfare!

Put your Ranged Infantry on the Walls and move all your phalanxes to defend the city plaza! Force your opponent to make a full frontal assault and be destroyed as your archers make quick work of the units passing below!

Then, in the late game Macedonia receives unbeatable Cavalry and Phalanxes!! Then, with the Denarii you've been saving annihilate the Greco-Brutii Threat!!!

Achtung, Seig!

*Roman General steps forward to speak to Caesar*
We have received word we just beat the Creten's at Sparta!
*Man whispers in General's Ear*
No! Alas!? We beat the SPARTANS at CRETE!
-From History of the World:Part 1-
-By Mel Brooks-
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » factions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames