Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Spys and their uses
posted 21 November 2008 16:23 EDT (US)   
hello

I was just wondering about some stuff about spies.
1. Does having a spy on a boat do anything(besides transporting it) like does it let you see furthur.
2. Does having a spy in your own city increase public order.
3. does having a spy work with assasin increse the chances of being successful.

any help would be appreciated.

THANK YOU

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Replies:
posted 21 November 2008 17:49 EDT (US)     1 / 11  

1) I think so, but I'm not sure.
2) No, but it stops other spies getting in and can detect assassination attempts, so it does help to keep public order high.
3) Nope. Not officially. It sometimes seems like it, though, but I doubt this is for any real reason.

And I take it you know about biological warfare with spies? Where a spy gets an STI from a faction heir's wife and then goes into a local brothel...?

You know what I mean

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
posted 22 November 2008 14:37 EDT (US)     2 / 11  
1. You can view a bit farther if you have like a 3 or higher subterfuge rating on it I think.
2.I believe it causes unrest to go down. Not entirely sure though.
3. Don't think so, though it helps if you're sabotaging so you can see what you're wrecking.
posted 22 November 2008 15:18 EDT (US)     3 / 11  
seamus, that was not an appropriate comment..

I find spies to be always useful, I use them with haste.
posted 01 December 2008 20:53 EDT (US)     4 / 11  
I once used a spy and an assassin to go sabotage level 5 temples, and spread plague. The entire Eastern med and Egypt revolted (check the bonuses), and lost 3/4 of their pop.
posted 02 December 2008 08:24 EDT (US)     5 / 11  
Gallowglass, that was not an appropriate comment...
Fixed.

I myself send spies into every available city nearby. Not only are they incredibly useful in attacking the settlement, they also have a huge LoS and so one can see the whole surrounding area.
1. You can view a bit farther if you have like a 3 or higher subterfuge rating on it I think.
Each level or 'eye' adds +1 to the LoS, and +1 to the movement.
posted 02 December 2008 20:16 EDT (US)     6 / 11  
Hey, in case you havent figured this out, when you have a dieseased city and you train a spy, the psy becomes diseased. Sending that spy to an enemies city diseases that city too :P
posted 03 December 2008 02:07 EDT (US)     7 / 11  
With three it helps because you can see your target and success rates as oppossed to question marks.

AAR Coming real soon :P
posted 03 December 2008 09:56 EDT (US)     8 / 11  
How often do spies obtain retinues?
posted 04 December 2008 04:00 EDT (US)     9 / 11  
For me quite often. I usually get them with 50% glory or death missions. Sometimes spies are trained with them.

AAR Coming real soon :P
posted 04 December 2008 12:06 EDT (US)     10 / 11  
2. I believe having a spy in your city makes it harder for foreign spies to get into the city. Having a spy and an assassin make your city VERY hard for foreign agents to get in, and more likely you'll find & kill any who try. (You can see this being used against you by the AI - sometimes you try to move a good 8-10 eye spy into a foreign city & you're told he only has 30-some % chance to succeed. If there isn't the foreign faction leader or heir (with their anti-espionage bonuses) in the city, it's probably because there are decent assassins or spies in there.

3. Tho supposed "unofficial", I sincerely believe having a spy check out a target for execution or sabotage increases the likelihood that your assassin succeeds at his mission. I really try to spy out the target before sending in my assassins, as much as possible.
posted 09 December 2008 22:57 EDT (US)     11 / 11  
The funny thing with spies is that i went to caralis took it from the carthagians and was the scpii Icreated a force of about ten assassins and spys got alot of boats and sent them to carthage and other place's and really messed em up. I destroyed everything and made rebelians happen all over the place!

“We call Japanese soldiers fanatics when they die rather than surrender, whereas American soldiers who do the same thing are called heroes” - Robert Maynard Hutchins

“The notion that human life is sacred just because it is human life is medieval.” - Peter Singer
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Spys and their uses
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames