Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: opinion on strategies
posted 19 February 2009 18:00 EDT (US)   
well here is situation one
1 you are the gaul and you are fighting the romans, they out number you 2 to 5 and you have only three swords man your general unit and 2 barbarian nobles

romans have 4 hastiti ans 3 triiari 5 archers four hores
auxilery
and two general's

what do you do

sorry if i type'd stuff wrong.

“We call Japanese soldiers fanatics when they die rather than surrender, whereas American soldiers who do the same thing are called heroes” - Robert Maynard Hutchins

“The notion that human life is sacred just because it is human life is medieval.” - Peter Singer
Replies:
posted 19 February 2009 18:20 EDT (US)     1 / 20  
You quit playing and learn English.
posted 19 February 2009 18:48 EDT (US)     2 / 20  
he said sorry that doesn't matter now.

Well, I think you should just retreat anyway, or if you can't then:-

Position yourself on the highest point possible try to do it further back too, then once the enemy are near warcry and charge the hastati with all your cavalry charging into one side together, roll up and you have the hastati gone.

Wait a bit then charge down at the triarii, again use cavalry superiority to rout one unit at a time then charge all your cav at theier generals while the swordsmen are chasing the triarii kill them if you can then chase the rest of the hores and archers. Easy written than done.

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
posted 20 February 2009 01:44 EDT (US)     3 / 20  
Mind your manners, yiplong.

I'd retreat if that option were given. If forced to fight, then I would do the infamous Terikel carpet-roll. It's risky, but it has won over worse odds. It has also gotten my army routed against lesser odds.

Basically I try to deduce where the enemy will set up. With an army that size, it is relatively easy- they will take the center of the map. My generals cannot hide, so they become bait. The others I clump to where I expect the flank to be, hidden if there is a forest or so. If no chance to hide, then the general gets stationed with the men.

When the battle starts, I apply local superiority to the flank of the enemy. I do not chase routers- I concentrate all force on the next unit in line. Often, when you rout three or four units in a short period of time, the Panic sets in among the foe and they all begin routing. That's when I chase them from the field- after rolling them up like a carpet.

If the opposing army is spread out, or can bring lots of horse and archers to the flank I chose, then I lose. If the army is impetuous, then I usually win. But its always a dice-roll.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 02-20-2009 @ 02:12 PM).]

posted 20 February 2009 02:05 EDT (US)     4 / 20  
Apologies in advance, but I find it hilarious that the Roman army brought 4 prostitutes along. To raise morale I assume!
posted 20 February 2009 04:50 EDT (US)     5 / 20  
Divide and conquer!

Put all your horsemen on one side of the map, and all your swordsmen as far from them as you can.

Hopefully, the starting position of the romans will be closer to your infantry.

If they start attacking your infantry, get your cavalry to start picking the Roman units one by one, luring them from the whole bunch as you go along. Concentrate the Swordsmen on the triarii, because Sword>Spear and Spear>Horse. If you can, try and get the enemy general as fast as you can, so that the Romans rout as soon as you hit them.

It's a lot of risk, takes a lot of maneuvering, but when you're outnumbered, you gotta take the risk.
posted 20 February 2009 05:31 EDT (US)     6 / 20  
Nasty. Firstly I'd position myself in woodland if it's available, to give my swords a bonus and blunt the fire of the archers. Speed and violence is the only way to win this. The archers can be ignored as they'll be on skirmish mode and will back away. Even if they attack, they're crap in melee so who cares. I'd also ignore the cavalry auxilia as they shouldn't do much more than snipe at me and be a nuisance. They can wait.

I'd throw everything at one wing. Two swords with a war cry will attack whatever infantry is, say, on the left flank, and another to their right will hang back to counter attack anything that tries to flank them. The idea of this is that they can survive long enough for the cavalry to come to their aid. But the cavalry can't do this immediately because they will be swamping the one general on that wing, but as soon as he's dead will swing back to hit the attacked Roman infantry in the rear. They should rout, hopefully they'll take many losses in doing so, but whatever I'd let them run until the battle is won. After that, things descend into something of a brawl. The swords will hit each infantry unit as and however they can with cavalry hitting the same in the rear. I'd probably let the Noble cavalry do a bit of this while my general pins the other Roman general down in battle, and the nobles will have to get back to help him, should he need it, as soon as they can.

Assuming I still have an army at this stage, I'd chase down the archers, hopefully some of the auxilia will already be fleeing in panic or have got sucked into some other fighting and killed. If not I'd have to reset everything, maybe rest if I can, and trap each one in turn by flanking it with all cavalry.
posted 20 February 2009 09:37 EDT (US)     7 / 20  
Stick to the basic battle tactic of horse beats archers, archers beat spear and spear beats horse. In your case, it's horse beats archers, so let the enemy archers come to you. The AI is somewhat stupid and will usually not protect their advancing archers on first contact.

Do not send your horses against them until they are within firing range or they will quickly run behind their spears for cover. Once they start to reload, charge them with calvary and kill as many archers as possible without getting too near the triarii. But do not charge your general to reserve his stamina for killing the enemy generals. Repeat the tactic until all archers are routed or destroyed.

If the two generals charge your calvary, pull back behind your swords. When you're outnumbered, look for ways to separate the two generals and kill them one by one with your full force if the opportunity allows. Use the terrain to your advantage if possible. Let the hastatii and triarii chase your calvary and tire themselves out, while your swordsmen position themselves for a flanking attack. Once both generals are dead and the remaining enemy units exhausted, use the same tactic of divide and destroy. It will be a hard fight but with some wise maneuvering, you will win.

The forces of the Polish king were so numerous that there is no number high enough in the human language. -- Prussian Chronicles

[This message has been edited by AKhoplites (edited 02-20-2009 @ 09:44 AM).]

posted 20 February 2009 11:16 EDT (US)     8 / 20  
First I'd try to retreat and see if I can avoid the battle.

Failing that a lot depends on the battlefield. If there's woods hide all your infantry there and get the Romans to chase after your cavalry. Let the Romans run all across the map so they're tired out, then lead them to your hidden infantry one at a time and attack. Being tired and outnumbered they'll rout quickly.

If there's no woods then your only option is to use all your cavalry to take out the Roman generals. Then you can use a hammer and anvil tactic on their infantry, which should rout them. You will lose more men this way though then if there were woods.

Hussarknight
posted 20 February 2009 11:38 EDT (US)     9 / 20  
*post removed by moderator*

Yiplong-

You were asked nicely to mind your manners.

Check your email.

- Terikel

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 02-20-2009 @ 01:52 PM).]

posted 20 February 2009 13:31 EDT (US)     10 / 20  
*quote removed by moderator*
He has no reason to apologize to himself or anybody. English is not everybody's first language you know, myself included or not everybody write in perfect english. So please keep those comments to yourself as they bring nothing positive to an otherwise engaging conversation. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 02-20-2009 @ 01:53 PM).]

posted 20 February 2009 14:15 EDT (US)     11 / 20  
I will play this on RTW in custom battles today or tommorow, I'll tell you the results.

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
posted 20 February 2009 14:43 EDT (US)     12 / 20  
Just retreat your infantry and duke it out with your 3 calvary groups. Generally the AI's army tends to split itself up and then after drawing them out of formation you apply local superiority and attack the unit that dared to stray out of formation with your 3 units of cal from all sides.
posted 20 February 2009 15:08 EDT (US)     13 / 20  
But anyway, the gauls swordsmen are heavy infantry so they should be able to hold their own against 4 divisions of hastatis. I would charge directly at them and not give them time to throw their pila. If I see a unit in trouble I would use my nobles to blast the enemy from the back.

The roman archers should be taken care of with some cavalry charges. At least take them off the battlefield and not let them rain arrows on the enemy, they don't fire anyway once their troops are engaging the enemy unless ordered otherwise.

Considering the nobles are heavy cavalry they match up rather nice with the roman generals, with the help of your own general. Now the triarii are going to become a problem so I would keep them away from my cavalry and only charge them from behind, not even the sides.

I would finally pay off the four hores to leave the battlefield and not have to deal with them.
posted 20 February 2009 17:46 EDT (US)     14 / 20  
Or you could just bribe them.

posted 20 February 2009 18:45 EDT (US)     15 / 20  
Don't forget that spearmen have a handicap aginst infantry. If you time it right your Swordsmen should be able to deal with them.

Also, your cavalry can crush the Hastati from the rear if you can get a decent charge in while they are occupied by Swordsmen.

I think the biggest problem you face is the four Cavalry Auxilia. You will have to pin them down somehow or they will wreak havoc. Try and catch them in a pincer movement with your cavalry then rush in the infantry to finsih them off.

You might notice that all this seems to require your soldiers to be in about 3 places at once. Short of developing a teleport, there is a way to achieve this. As Hoppylte suggests, first send forward your cavalry and split up the enmy forces into bitesize chunks. Now would be a good time to nip in and rout the archers, if there is a chance. Once their formation is in chaos, use local superiority to defeat the Romans. Erzin recently wrote a guide on local superiority, I will try and find it for you.

Edit: Here you go.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 02-20-2009 @ 07:00 PM).]

posted 20 February 2009 19:09 EDT (US)     16 / 20  
@Lasting: What difficulty level are you playing on? And are your swordsmen the regular variety, or the heavier chosen swordsmen?

And Andalus is right... you're going to have to come up with a plan for dealing with all that cavalry first.

Let us know how you made out; I've gotta admit I'm curious...

"Cowardice and stupidity are vices which,
disgraceful as they are in private to those who have them,
are when found in a general the greatest of public calamities."

- Polybius of Megalopolis
posted 23 February 2009 03:08 EDT (US)     17 / 20  
Here's my results from a test I did, there is just too many of them.

posted 28 February 2009 14:05 EDT (US)     18 / 20  
Great fight Stormer despite the loss and thanks for satisfying our curiosity. Under the right circumstances, a tactical Pyrrhic victory for the Romans would have been a strategic loss for them. I realized that the Gauls have a huge morale problem and flee easily at first sign of serious opposition. That makes it all the more interesting playing as the Gauls.

The forces of the Polish king were so numerous that there is no number high enough in the human language. -- Prussian Chronicles
posted 01 March 2009 17:42 EDT (US)     19 / 20  
I would fight in woodland. Preferably rain as well. The wood gives your boys a bonus, and the rain weakens their archers. The AI doesn't get this "skirmishers skirmish" idea into its head, so you can most likely catch the cavalry auxilia with your cavalry. Now, being in a woodland, creep a unit of swordsmen behind their archers. The cavalry should now draw away the triarii past your hidden swordsmen, who now pounce. As soon as they engage them, hit them with cav. Bye, triarii! Surround the survivors, then spring impending doom on them like nothing else. Heroic victories all around, chaps, despite losing (most likely) 95% of your lads.

I'm not playing all the wrong notes. I'm playing all the right notes. But not
nessescarily in the right order.- Eric Morcambe.
I have the body of a GOD!- Buddha...
www.Nottinghamrugby.co.uk
They have sown the wind, now they will reap the whirlwind.- Arthur "bomber" Harris.
posted 09 March 2009 07:23 EDT (US)     20 / 20  
I think the biggest problem you face is the four Cavalry Auxilia
Yep; don't underestimate cavalry auxilia, they tend to own. It's a bit of an annoying habit.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » opinion on strategies
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames