Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Scipii Strategy
posted 05 March 2009 15:13 EDT (US)   
Salve citizens! Just to warn you I am pretty new to RTW world so you'll have to forgive some potentially silly questions.

So heres the scene, I decided to do the scipii faction. It seemed like the more interesting of the three Roman factions as you have a better opportunity to get involved all over.

The year is 200BC, I have 158,000 Denarii, I hold Sicily and the whole of North Africa is secure (with the exception that the city of Cirta is always unhappy and a big pain)and I currently have 4 stacks (each with archer auxillia, legionary cavalry and legionary cohorts. The Brutii currenly hold parts of Macedon and the whole of European Greece (Greek cities still hold modern day Turkey. The Julii along with Brittania have crushed Germania between them and are now fighting among themselves. Gaul and Spain are still intact.

The strategic question is, Do I progress East and crush Egypt and then turn around and strike Spain and drive upwards to Gaul?. Also I am wondering at which point to strike against my roman "allies"? I am just finishing levvying a full stack in capua and intend to leave it there to strike the southern the cities then hit north to defeat the senate and the north. I currently have 50 ships in total and they are just patrolling the seas in groups. I dont intend to use them against Egypt, I would rather take Egypt by Land. Any advice would be welcome.
Replies:
posted 06 March 2009 01:49 EDT (US)     1 / 12  
Hail, mighty Flavius!

A few key points, fellow warlord:

Thou does have 158,000 denarii. Warchests over 50,000 begin to harvest corruption and undesirable traits among thy generals and governors. Over 100,000 increases the chances. It is highly recommended you begin spending and ensure each of your family members moves around (pop out of the city then directly back in) ads corruption traits only come to those who have not moved at all.

Check thy standing with the People and Senate. If thy standing with the People does rise above 7 icons, then the Civili war is about to start. Hamstring thy foes by seizing their cities in Italia as soon as possible (have some lovely full stacks parading through their back yard in anticipation.)

The Land of Eg is very fecund and can spawn many many armies of chariots and archers and the like. Stripping them of the Nile Delta will weaken them, but they still have those marvelous, numerous armies. Wait not too long before striking.

The Land of Spain is rich in minerals and protects thy west. You are already in Cirta- I would secure the west then drive east, while stationing a few stacks in Italia to wait around for the inevitable Civil War- you have the cash to do this.

Just a few thoughts. Welcome to our forums, by the way, and ensure thou does read the stickies!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 06 March 2009 05:34 EDT (US)     2 / 12  
Salve Flavius! With a treasury of that size I think you could raise quite a few more armies. And they're good too, there isn't much that will hold its ground against legionary cohorts, cavalry and archer auxilia. You'd be best off having two around Capua for the civil war, and leaving behind one around Lepcis Magna to watch out for Egyptian invasions, the rest can be used aggressively elsewhere.

As it's 200 BC you should be thinking about starting the civil war very soon. If you've only got Africa and Sicily though, I don't think you'll have enough popular support to start the war off just yet. This support increases with the amount of territories you own. So go and get some. As your Roman rivals dominate Europe, I'd recommend that you invade Spain and advance into Gaul - Spain is rich, but also it's a good idea to take these territories as the Julii will certainly help themselves once they've finished the Britons off. In the same way the Brutii will want to expand into Turkey next, so send a few armies off there to conquer whoever holds it and so leave the Brutii with no option but to expand into the economically pointless north. You can then expand into Egypt, and will want to do so because bordering them will inevitably lead to war. A word of warning with Egypt - their economy is considerable, and they will send army after army at you. You can ruin their plans though by using that big fleet of yours to blockade their ports - their economy is worthless without them. Your armies can then sweep into the country like young Alexanders, and with all these lands you will gain a lot of money and your popular support will rocket.
posted 06 March 2009 09:39 EDT (US)     3 / 12  
Welcome Flavius Stilicho and no question is ever silly on this forum. It's interesting to find out things I did not know about RTW even after playing it for so long.

You should be spending all that money on raising more armies, preferably full stacks near Rome and the Brutii cities. I consider the Brutii a greater threat than the Julii when civil war erupts because they are in a much stronger financial position controlling money-rich Greece.

Although you can invade Spain, I'd say head for Egypt because the Great Lighthouse and Great Pyramid would be nice additions to your wonderful wonders of the world collection (while stocks last). But seriously, the lighthouse allows your ships to move further and you can rush reinforcements back to Rome by sea faster for the civil war if necessary. The pyramid improves loyalty in all your Egyptian settlements and this is especially important for your bigger cities where order is a problem.

Ships are useful against Egypt if they still control Cyprus. You can blockade their ports which also happen to be their major cities and squeeze their economy dry. Once you take Egypt, you should have enough popularity to start the civil war, take Italy and win without needing to invade Spain.

The forces of the Polish king were so numerous that there is no number high enough in the human language. -- Prussian Chronicles
posted 06 March 2009 11:07 EDT (US)     4 / 12  
The strategic question is, Do I progress East and crush Egypt and then turn around and strike Spain and drive upwards to Gaul?. Also I am wondering at which point to strike against my roman "allies"? I am just finishing levvying a full stack in capua and intend to leave it there to strike the southern the cities then hit north to defeat the senate and the north. I currently have 50 ships in total and they are just patrolling the seas in groups. I dont intend to use them against Egypt, I would rather take Egypt by Land. Any advice would be welcome.
Your strategy is pretty good so far. Head east and take the Nile delta from the Egyptians, the wonders and fertile lands should give you a even better economy. Don't go any further though because you'll have to focus on an upcoming Civil War. The bridges in the Nile will be a nice way to protect your cities and borders there from Egypt while you fight the other Roman factions. Build up a mighty army, you have the cash for it.

Taking those regions should be enough to trigger a Civil War, if you can start it first then before you do prepare an all out invasion of Italy so buidup your navy because you're going to be transporting troops a lot. Don't use the entire stack in Capua because the Senate army nearby might have a crack at it (I've seen them do it), transport full stacks to take the sourthern Brutii cities and then go for Rome. Then focus on Greece and especially the southern cities there (Sparta, Athenas, etc.) those are major sources of income for the Brutii.
The Julii would probably be dealing with the Gauls, Germans or Britons and maybe Spain so surprise them and take their cities in northern Italy after Rome. Once you take the big Italian cities, you should be able to re-train and build up a nice force in a couple turns.

As the Scipii you have the advantage that your borders are nicely protected and you don't have to worry about possible roman invasions during the Civil War, maybe every now and then so keep an eye for ships transporting troops.

So build up an army with the money you have, take the Nile delta from Egypt, hold off the Spain and Gaul invasions (let the Julii deal with them) and prepare for a Civil War. Let us know how this ends. Good luck!

EDIT: Missed this:
, I hold Sicily and the whole of North Africa is secure (with the exception that the city of Cirta is always unhappy...
Where is your capital? Move it to Carthage if you didn't do so already, Capua is way too far from your lands.

[This message has been edited by Imperator Romano (edited 03-06-2009 @ 11:09 AM).]

posted 06 March 2009 12:57 EDT (US)     5 / 12  
I am now playing a Scipii campaign as well. Get Spain asap after Numidia and Carthage are crushed so Julia can not steal them. When Spain is secure Crush Egypt and exterminate them because they have a bad habit of revolting( might have to do it twice). I have wiped out Egypt and almost have all of Spain and I am crushing the Parthians. Don't skimp on money. Spend it all on economic buildings to get a good base then raise some awesome army's. Commanding your battles personally helps get victory's which helps getting adopted family members .
posted 06 March 2009 13:13 EDT (US)     6 / 12  
Thanks alot guys, I will spend most of that accumulated cash and let you know how my destiny fans out. Just a final question, I have set out my strategy for conquering Egypt. The stacks I am using consist of 8 Legionary Cavalry, 3 Archer Auxilia and the rest in legionary cohorts. Is this a good mix versus the Egyptian armies? Or should I be looking to include some skirmishers to handle the chariots or even more legionary cavalry?. Thanks

[This message has been edited by Flavius Stilicho (edited 03-06-2009 @ 03:00 PM).]

posted 06 March 2009 15:07 EDT (US)     7 / 12  
Chariots kill cavalry.

Take archers. Lots and lots of archers.
posted 06 March 2009 18:48 EDT (US)     8 / 12  
Yeah, don't ever send cavalry after chariots. As Terikel mentioned, archers would do the job to kill off most chariots from the distance, then the remaining ones should be taken care of by your infantry.

When fighting the egyptians, keep in mind the bridges in the Nile Delta. If some full stack egyptian force wants to reinforce a city you're besieging take an army to the bridge to deal with them (those chariots are nothing on the narrow path like a bridge) that should help. Also, I recommend you start from the botton up when taking the Nile cities. Thebes, Memphis and Alexandria, that has always work for me that way they don't reinforce from the south if I take the northern cities first.

And again, keep getting ready for a Civil War, it sounds like it's close.
posted 07 March 2009 01:59 EDT (US)     9 / 12  
Isn't it more clever to save up some money for the civil war? After all, when you bribe a roman army, they join you instead of disbanding, so with about 200 000 denarii you can bribe your way through the war and defeat the other families with their own soldiers.
posted 07 March 2009 11:51 EDT (US)     10 / 12  
By the way final question, is it wiser to exterminate or enslave the populations in Egypt?
posted 07 March 2009 12:35 EDT (US)     11 / 12  
Exterminate. Their populations are massive and you'll have huge public order problems if you don't cull a few. Taking Memphis with the Pyramdis will cancel out the Egyptian culture penalty, but you're still probably have a city ridden with squalor and a long way from your capital. Best then to kill anything that moves or you'll have whole armies tied up on garrison duty to stop them rebelling.
posted 07 March 2009 13:06 EDT (US)     12 / 12  
Yes, if you want to really, utterly, destroy chariots... Use Phalanxes. You can either hire Phalanxe mercinaries in Greece, or train them yourself as a Greecian faction. I implore you to try it. As a Scipii, you can easily hire the Mercs, and ship them over to your army. I've had a completely "Nooby" (No armor upgrades, no weapon upgrades, and no experience.) Greek Hoplite slaughter an entire squadren of chariots without a single loss. (Very fun to watch.)
So, I'd take lots of archers, and Greek Hoplites to cover them.

Let fly the arrows of war.
Unleash the Tormentor's sword.
Slay the Dreamer, kill the Fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule...
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Scipii Strategy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames