You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Egytians as stupid as they look?
posted 07 March 2009 13:09 EDT (US)   
Are the Egypitians horrible generals for anyone else? Or is that just my experience? They literaly form one ginormous line...... Even when they have Generals in command.

Sorry, I apperantly posted this in the wrong section of the forum.....

Let fly the arrows of war.
Unleash the Tormentor's sword.
Slay the Dreamer, kill the Fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule...

[This message has been edited by Naeblis (edited 03-07-2009 @ 01:37 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07 March 2009 15:39 EDT (US)     1 / 19  
It's fine. This is the right place.

Anyway, that enormous line is used by every AI controlled army. It sends it's armies like yours are before you rearange it during deployment. Sometimes it changes when the battle starts but such changes are minimal, they hardly change anything.

The Egyptian line might look very long because of its chariots being in a loose formation and because of it's infantry units being very big, especially in huge unit scale.
posted 07 March 2009 15:55 EDT (US)     2 / 19  
Yes, thats true, but I've noticed that Romans, Greeks, Carthagians, Gauls, etc. actually use formations. Atleast they have the general in the back, instead of right in line with everyone else.

Also, when you set your BattleMap difficulty to Hard/Very Hard, does it affect the AI's intelligence in battle tactics? Or does it just turn your Urban Cohorts into chickens with pitchforks?

posted 07 March 2009 16:17 EDT (US)     3 / 19  
The latter. On VH/VH the AI has a +7/+7 attack and defense bonus. Use missiles.
posted 07 March 2009 16:21 EDT (US)     4 / 19  
Atleast they have the general in the back, instead of right in line with everyone else.
Didn't notice this. With me, all AI controlled generals stay at the back right before the two sides meet, then the general charges right through the unit in front of him and slams headfirst into my center, which is why my center is always made up of spears, at least whenever possible.
Also, when you set your BattleMap difficulty to Hard/Very Hard, does it affect the AI's intelligence in battle tactics? Or does it just turn your Urban Cohorts into chickens with pitchforks?
Ehh sorry but I always play on easy/easy because I like it simple, so I don't know what would setting the dificulty to very hard do, despite that I really doubt it that Urban Cohorts would suffer any demoralesation (if that's the world).
posted 07 March 2009 17:33 EDT (US)     5 / 19  
Right word, not quite right spelling. It is Demoralization.

And, yes, if you turn the difficulty up to vh the AI will still act the same.
posted 08 March 2009 00:17 EDT (US)     6 / 19  
Ugh! Thats a disappointment..... I was hoping for near human strategic capability at Very Hard....... Guess I'll just stick to Medium/Medium for the time being.....

Thanks for the answers everyone.

posted 08 March 2009 06:41 EDT (US)     7 / 19  
The Lord AI's intelligence does not improve on the harder settings.

A quick rundown of Easy to Very hard (battle screens):
    Easy: your troops gain +4 morale and +4 attack
    Medium: same stats as in the Export Description Unit files
    Hard: your stats are normal, enemy gains +4 attack and +4 morale
    Very Hard: Your stats normal, foe gets +7 attack and +7 morale

On the Campaign level, Easy gives you monetary bonuses and a rather docile AI. Medium is the standard setting, while on Hard and Very Hard the AI becomes more aggressive and gets cash bonuses while your income is lowered, making the game harder for you.

Nowhere does the AI pick up better tactics or use its troops other than already programmed. There are mods which tamper with the AI defaults which can improve the tactics somewhat. Search about and try them out.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 09 March 2009 15:25 EDT (US)     8 / 19  
Ugh! Thats a disappointment..... I was hoping for near human strategic capability at Very Hard....... Guess I'll just stick to Medium/Medium for the time being.....
I think a nice challenge and combination of difficulties is VH/H, to go VH on battles is a bit unrealistic with all the bonuses the AI gets as Terikel pointed out. On VH for the campaign the AI has more cash to build up troops and make it harder to conquer them. To conquer Greece or Africa is less than 5 years is a bit unrealistic IMHO.
posted 09 March 2009 17:10 EDT (US)     9 / 19  
You realize that being unrealistic is what the Total War series is all about?

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

Chauvinism is not a particularly nice trait at the best of times but can be suicidal when the person your talking too can have you executed on a whim.

Facebook, anyone?
posted 09 March 2009 17:49 EDT (US)     10 / 19  
Yes, but I try to make as realistic as I can. At least for me.
posted 09 March 2009 19:05 EDT (US)     11 / 19  
The campaign games are one thing; actually playing online versus another faction reveals whether they are any challenge. The campaigns are designed for one type of player,and the online games are for those willing to throw down a challenge based on tactical capabilities.

That's basically my take. Humans > AI all the time, as long as the human has actually played the game for a time.

Cheers.

Total War Heaven Former Angel Cherub and Long-Time Contributor
posted 09 March 2009 21:23 EDT (US)     12 / 19  
actually playing online versus another faction reveals whether they are any challenge. The campaigns are designed for one type of player,and the online games are for those willing to throw down a challenge based on tactical capabilities.
So true. I think the real challenge of how good of a tactic we think we have is to play against another human. I learned that the hard way, I lost the first few battles pretty bad but I started getting the hang of it. That first victory felt pretty good.
posted 09 March 2009 23:49 EDT (US)     13 / 19  
I totally agree. I used my Campaign formation (Julii) on an online game....... I don't think "Wiped the floor with me" quite says it all. lol
The other player destroyed me with just a Spartan Pure army.....

posted 10 March 2009 00:52 EDT (US)     14 / 19  
Well, it's hard enough to defeat a small division of Spartans, I couldn't imagine a full Spartan army. A bit unfair on his part, and not very fun I have to say but you do encounter them every now and then.
posted 11 March 2009 03:06 EDT (US)     15 / 19  
Beserker army >>>>> Spartan Army

Actually, it's not even close.
posted 11 March 2009 10:45 EDT (US)     16 / 19  
Beserker army >>>>> Spartan Army
I've heard that, never tried it myself. A disadvantage in multiplayer games is that you don't know what units your opponent is selecting so when you get in the game and you find yourself with an army full of Spartans, it's rather frustrating.

I like old fashion games where you select mixture of troops and then face the opponent but for somebody to select just powerful units takes the fun out of it somewhat, IMO of course.

But anyway, that's besides the point and I'm taking this thread off the main discussion.
posted 11 March 2009 21:03 EDT (US)     17 / 19  
Imperator Romano - play 10,000 denari only, that should sort out any elite unit spam issues.
posted 11 March 2009 22:03 EDT (US)     18 / 19  
Unless they use the British. 9/10 you'll face a heavy chariot and head hurler spam.
posted 11 March 2009 23:56 EDT (US)     19 / 19  
I think the most enjoyable game setting is VH/M. It is annoying to have your elite legions losing to some lousy levy pikeman. That's totally uncool.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Egytians as stupid as they look?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames