You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion » Kingdoms questions
Bottom
Topic Subject:Kingdoms questions
Andalus
Legionary
posted 17 May 2009 15:58 EDT (US)         
Having recently patched up and installed Kingdoms (Bah, revision never gets me anywhere anyway), I have a few questions about this.

1. Does anyone know how I can turn off the messages that proclaim you are winning/losing the battle? I ask because I had a large battle in the Crusades campaign as the Byzantines against two full Turkish stacks. I defeated the first, but the second was proving too much for my tired soldiers. I found it increasingly frustrating having this muppet bleating on that I was losing, which is not particularly helpful in the grand scheme of things. After however many years of Total War, I should like to think I can tell who is winning.

2. Not really Kingdoms related, but I have never worked this out. How do I turn the cutscenes that play at a generals death off? I can't seem to work it out.

3. Byzantine Firethrowers. Are they any use? They seem not to me. And if so, does anyone have any strategies for using them to full effect?

4. Is there any way of retraining casualties from the unique Crusader units of Antioch and Jerusalem? What happens if they are completely destroyed?

AuthorReplies:
Bones40
Legionary
posted 17 May 2009 18:45 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
3. Byzantine Firethrowers. Are they any use? They seem not to me. And if so, does anyone have any strategies for using them to full effect?
I've only used them in Retrofit Grand Campaign but I think they are worth it. Having a couple of those out front of your lines does wonders. Even if they only fire one volley and then run behind your lines. The amount of death and moral loss they inflict on the enemy is catastrophic. Just make sure to turn off fire at will once they are behind your lines. Granted, they aren't very useful against Horse Archers, but the are amazing against infantry.

They are also good flank guarders because one blast from them will usually decimate a flanking unit. Slipping them behind the enemy and targeting generals also works wonders though leaves them open to attack. I wouldn't advise slipping them behind the enemy to shoot into the backs of your enemy though because more often than not, you will roast your own troops as well.

I know they are expensive, but I use them quite dangerously simply because they can turn the tide of a battle so quickly and decisively. One unit can literally route an entire full stack if used right and if a bit of luck goes your way (not one unit vs a full stack, but if that one unit is in a stack of yours).

Also, they are amazing in siege defenses. I've never got them to shoot off walls very effectively but I have enclosed a breach/gate on two sides and one side open for them to shoot the compact enemy with a unit behind them ready to charge in front if the enemy comes at them. Usually, though, that's unnecessary because when teamed with boiling oil from the gates, they tend to insta route any and all units that are in the breach.

They can also be used quite effectively defending the tops of walls from enemy troops coming off siege towers if placed to the side of the siege tower. I've never tested whether or not they can target the actual siege tower though. Weird that I never thought of that. If they can, they are the ultimate siege tower defense. I've also never used them to man a siege tower, I wonder if they can shoot out at the defenders from the safety of the tower once the door opens.
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 18 May 2009 03:34 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
2. Not really Kingdoms related, but I have never worked this out. How do I turn the cutscenes that play at a generals death off? I can't seem to work it out.
There should be a configuration file called "medieval2.preference" in your M2:TW folder. Open it with Notepad and change the following option:

event_cutscenes = 1

to:

event_cutscenes = 0

That's it. Mute the advisor and speeches while you are at it.
4. Is there any way of retraining casualties from the unique Crusader units of Antioch and Jerusalem? What happens if they are completely destroyed?
You may have only one of them any given time (unless they are given to you by missions), so I think you can only get new ones once they are completely destroyed. I don't know whether they can be retrained, probably only in Jerusalem and/or Antioch.

Michael Jackson
Brutiangodofrock
Legionary
posted 18 May 2009 09:50 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
Most Antioch Hospitaller units are only recruitable at Krak de Chavielles(sp?) so that would be your best bet.
Thrashmad
Legionary
posted 20 May 2009 07:29 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Firethrowers are similar to Naffatuns, when the main line of infantry have engaged run around with the firethrowers and shoot the enemy in the rear. Watch out for enemy cavalry.

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

[This message has been edited by Thrashmad (edited 05-20-2009 @ 07:32 AM).]

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 21 May 2009 11:11 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Yes there is and it's detailed here.
You also get unique units like the very powerful Constable of Jerusalem, which is a "double strength" knightly unit. It can be retrained at any castle but if you lose it completely, it is awkward to recruit again. If you do lose the Constable of Jerusalem unit or wish to recruit a new one, change any castle to a military-focused auto-build policy. You will eventually get it again. The unit can only be recruited by the AI and more to the point, the AI can recruit more than one of this unit so do please be careful before you decide to go to war against either of the crusader kingdoms. It is entirely possible that you might face more than one of the unique units within a single army. The Marshall of the Templars unique unit is the same as the Constable of Jerusalem except that it has the usual number of men in the unit and has 2 hit points per man.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Andalus
Legionary
posted 21 May 2009 15:29 EDT (US)     6 / 7       
Cheers for the responses, guys. I guess Firthrowers will be a skill to learn on the job. I don't have much experience with Naffatun either so that will sadly not be of much help.
There should be a configuration file called "medieval2.preference" in your M2:TW folder.
I am not convinced there is. I looked for it when I first got M2TW, and could not find it. I have not looked since then, so I will check once more.
Yes there is and it's detailed here.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 22 May 2009 04:17 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
1. Does anyone know how I can turn off the messages that proclaim you are winning/losing the battle? I ask because I had a large battle in the Crusades campaign as the Byzantines against two full Turkish stacks. I defeated the first, but the second was proving too much for my tired soldiers. I found it increasingly frustrating having this muppet bleating on that I was losing, which is not particularly helpful in the grand scheme of things. After however many years of Total War, I should like to think I can tell who is winning.
I actually have no idea if you can turn it off or not, have a look around in the in-game audio options. If it isn't in there I wouldn't know which files to look around in to change it because I'd expect it's hardcoded into the game.
Yes, yes they are. Use them in siege battles either attacking or defending, stand them just in front of a spear unit and let them spray whatever units approach in the narrow streets with fire. Retreat behind the spears. Rinse and repeat.

On the open battlefield they are best used in a clump but you'll need to have some cavalry or heavy infantry nearby to protect them. Fold up the flanks from the side and finish the enemy units off with a heavy infantry or cavalry charge.

The exact same goes for Naffatun.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames