You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion » How to use merchants?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How to use merchants?
marcuslee
Legionary
posted 26 September 2009 22:00 EDT (US)         
My current mission, which I don't think I will be able to complete, is to take out a nearby merchant. That merchant is too powerful, experienced or whatever you want to call it. The ones I create are not. I don't know how to use them, really. I put them on some resources, but usually the stronger merchants from other places take them out.

What can I do?

Mark
AuthorReplies:
Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 26 September 2009 23:02 EDT (US)     1 / 4       
Pick one or two settlements. Train merchants like mad. Be sure to have Markets in every settlement, so you can train more merchants. Eventually, you should be offered the Merchants Guild.

The Merchants guild gives your Merchants more Finance (This acts in the same way Generals do with Command, and Assassins with Subterfuge. The more Finance you have, the more money you make by sitting on a resource, and the better chance you have at taking out enemy merchants)

You can also get Finance by merchants being on good trade resources. I recommend Amber, Silk, Spice, and Gold for good resources. Amber is near Poland and Russia, Silk is near Constantinople, Spice is near Aleppo, and Gold is near Timbuktu, the New World, and near Zagreb and Ragusa.

Think you're a hotshot against the Mongols? Go to the Mongolphobia mod discussions and download the mod, then, you will surely tremble with fear in the face of the Mongols. If you have suggestions/questions, feel free to make a thread. You can download Mongolphobia here. Good luck.

“Life lives, life dies. Life laughs, life cries. Life gives up and life tries. But life looks different through everyone's eyes.” -Unknown

Read my AAR/Story "The Battle of the Bridge" here!
The Crat
Legionary
posted 27 September 2009 02:41 EDT (US)     2 / 4       
What also works is having two resources of the same kind in the same region. For example the two textile ones in the Milan region. If you put your merchant on one (and make sure there is no other merchant on the other resource) he will get the capitalist trait (1+ finance) after a few turns, followed by the market controller trait (2+ finance) and a few more turns later the monopolist trait (3+ finance).

This way you will have at least 3 finance added to your merchant. But it is usually easier to get a good merchant by having him stand on the valuable resources Glacier_Girl described.

"Those who knowingly allow the King to err deserve the same punishment as traitors."

Alfonso X 'The Wise' of Castile and Léon.

[This message has been edited by The Crat (edited 09-27-2009 @ 02:42 AM).]

Toxic Tooth
Legionary
posted 28 September 2009 10:27 EDT (US)     3 / 4       
and if you put them in a army you can have have more merchants on the same ress. in my danish campaign in teotonic i have like 10 merchants on honey all with monopolist making a total of about 2500, i think

Flying cow? flying cows don't eksist
marcuslee
Legionary
posted 28 September 2009 20:45 EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Pick one or two settlements. Train merchants like mad. Be sure to have Markets in every settlement, so you can train more merchants. Eventually, you should be offered the Merchants Guild.
I haven't figured out how to train merchants like mad. I have three right now, and I can't train anymore. It says that my age limit has been reached. I have markets in every town, I think. Some don't have the ability to have markets, I guess, because they aren't allowing me to build any. Do I need to upgrade the town?

I was offered the Merchants Guild, but it didn't seem to change much. They are making more money now ... but that is the only difference.

By the way, I am playing the Britannia campaign if that makes a difference.

Mark
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames