You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » How will ETW deal with prisoners?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How will ETW deal with prisoners?
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 06 December 2008 14:03 EDT (US)         
How will ETW deal with prisoners?

Unlike M2TW during the Empire: Total War period you couldn't butcher a whole battalion, regiment or division of soldiers taken prisoner, although many forum users will be tempted to do so when they play it.

Also when you take a town or city will there be prisoners? I mean in 1781 at Yorktown 7,000 British prisoners along with Lord Cornwallis were captured. In addition Continental soldiers in the American War Of Independence were housed in prison ships off New York. So how will Empire: Total War deal with this issue?

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
AuthorReplies:
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 06 December 2008 14:10 EDT (US)     1 / 16       

The option to butcher a whole battallion should still exist, but the consequences for doing so should be severe.

I think they'll be prisons for them, which you can build, which have a collective maximum capacity. You can choose what you do with the prisoners later, by clicking on individual prisons and choosing an option for them:

Release
Interrogate (for research)
Ransom
Transport (to colonies - similar to enslave)
Execute
eBay

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Ischenous
Legionary
posted 06 December 2008 15:35 EDT (US)     2 / 16       
They could be used in diplomacy too.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
Waffentraeger
Legionary
(id: Daelon)
posted 06 December 2008 16:07 EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Or scientific experiments.
Woolagaroo
Legionary
posted 06 December 2008 18:40 EDT (US)     4 / 16       
I agree that the prisoner mechanic needs to be redone. I'm not sure that interrogation is particularly practical (since the average soldier of the time would not know much about recent technological advances and secrets). I think that when facing other "civilized" peoples (native savages obviously warrant no such mercy) a negotiation menu should appear, where you can perhaps ransom prisoners, arrange prisoner exchanges, or whatever. You should also be given the option to impress sailors acquired from captured enemy vessels.

Deutschland erwartet, dass jeder Mann seine Pflicht tun wird.
Россия ожидает, что каждый исполнит свой долг.
wolfthe3rd
Legionary
posted 06 December 2008 23:02 EDT (US)     5 / 16       
There should also be a limit to how many prisoners you can capture as after all your boats can only hold so many people.

But personally I agree with Gallowglass I'll just eBay em and make a killing, someone will buy them maybe even Queen Vic. or Napoleon when they next log on
:P
Wolf
Waffentraeger
Legionary
posted 06 December 2008 23:07 EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Ok good thing you guys ignored my post lol.

I would never sell them back to the enemy, i ALWAYS exterminate them. (MTW2 speaking).

If the option is in the game, I will do just that.
Lord_Morningstar
Legionary
posted 07 December 2008 01:39 EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Prisoners in wars between 'civilised' nations were typically exchanged. Whether that will work in ETW I don't know.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 07 December 2008 04:33 EDT (US)     8 / 16       
But personally I agree with Gallowglass I'll just eBay em and make a killing, someone will buy them maybe even Queen Vic. or Napoleon when they next log on
Sell them to me...

Daelon, I'd have called your post an inappropriate comment, but I am above revenge...and yep, I too will be executing most prisoners if the option is in the game, and if not I will be destroying most towns...

*notices stares as if to say 'hypocrite'*

What?

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b

[This message has been edited by Gallowglass (edited 12-07-2008 @ 04:34 AM).]

el_bandito
Legionary
posted 07 December 2008 21:29 EDT (US)     9 / 16       
There should be an option "Sell all Prisoners to the Turks!" This option will guarantee you money, unlike ransom, but will give you less.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 12-07-2008 @ 09:30 PM).]

wolfthe3rd
Legionary
posted 07 December 2008 21:35 EDT (US)     10 / 16       
There should be an option saying send them to a deserted island to make a story such as that of the tv show 'lost' or the book 'to kill a mockingbird' (adult style)
Wolf
LordTaeglan
Legionary
posted 08 December 2008 15:11 EDT (US)     11 / 16       
Surely you mean "Lord of the Flies" WolfIII?

Nobody knows exactly where the entity known as Stephen Hill came from. He was found fully formed at the height of a storm and is believed to have come to Earth from a distant world where human qualities of fashion and beauty did not exist, which explains a lot. Constructed mostly of hatred and contempt, wrapped up in a pathetic human shell, Stephen comes fully equipped with his Antarian death coat, his Pen of Rage +2, and a variety of useful headgear
jomas
Legionary
posted 08 December 2008 15:27 EDT (US)     12 / 16       
hair product testing?
wolfthe3rd
Legionary
posted 08 December 2008 21:00 EDT (US)     13 / 16       
of course my mistake lord taeglan
haha jomas

i thought of another good one
walk the plank
and then it has one of those mini-movies like it does in mtw2 for spies etc.
Waffentraeger
Legionary
posted 08 December 2008 21:46 EDT (US)     14 / 16       
If you think my comment was inappropriate, look at jomas's!
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 09 December 2008 13:14 EDT (US)     15 / 16       

If there are films for diplomatic treaties being offered, ownership of a town peacefully changing hands, and prisoners being led to their execution or deportation then this will be the best game ever.

Besides Shogun, the films in that are great.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
wolfthe3rd
Legionary
posted 11 December 2008 01:37 EDT (US)     16 / 16       
I've never played shogun
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames