You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » Grenades?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Grenades?
Waffentraeger
Legionary
(id: Daelon)
posted 10 December 2008 16:52 EDT (US)         
Grenadiers supposedly can use grenades, as explained in the unit overview.

Any one guessing on how exactly they will work? Limited grenades per unit as a whole? ( I hope)
Or will it be individual? And please oh mighty, not to be over-powered, I can imagine what just one grenade can do to a 4 rank deep formation..

discuss, if you can..
AuthorReplies:
Ibuprofen Redux
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 18:38 EDT (US)     1 / 9       
Well, I expect grenades will come from a communal supply, it would probably be too complicated to give each man a set number of grenades. They will probably work a bit like naffatun, but be more powerful, of course.

I think the unit previewed on the website was a later sort of grenadier, when they became more of a sort of larger, better trained regular infantry unit who happened to carry grenades. I suspect throwing them will therefore be either an alternate attack or a special ability. I know earlier grenadiers actually exclusively used grenades, and I don't think they carries rifles/muskets. So there may be an earlier unit which throws grenades and has a melee alternate attack.

I wonder how the tech tree upgrade system will apply to grenadiers, if at all. Will you be able to construct lighter, more powerful grenades later and retrofit your units?

"...angry men must also be strong, if they would achieve their purpose."
-Livy
Ventory
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 19:05 EDT (US)     2 / 9       
I think that a chosen few, will carry grenades, the fornt line, and be backed up by the rest or as previously said work like naffutan
Waffentraeger
Legionary
(id: Daelon)
posted 10 December 2008 19:11 EDT (US)     3 / 9       
Yeah, if the whole unit had grenades, it would just be a ***** fest.. Which wouldn't be good, or nearly historically accurate.
Woolagaroo
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 19:18 EDT (US)     4 / 9       
Yes, Grenadiers were not troops that fought exclusively with grenades (in fact their primary weapon was still the musket and bayonet) but rather particularly large and elite soldiers that happened to be equipped with grenades and were used as shock troops. I suspect grenades may be a special ability of grenadiers that may require them to be close enough to an enemy unit and possibly have a recharge time.

Deutschland erwartet, dass jeder Mann seine Pflicht tun wird.
Россия ожидает, что каждый исполнит свой долг.
Lord_Morningstar
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 20:56 EDT (US)     5 / 9       
I assume that they'll also use muskets, in which case they'd have two different types of ammunition. I suspect that the grenades will work something like pila in RTW - the entire unit will have two or three. Having every soldier in the unit throw a grenade at once would be unrealistic, but it's a simple solution.
Ventory
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 21:02 EDT (US)     6 / 9       
It will be the front line that's it... Justa chosen few, the others will be basic Line Infantry
jomas
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 21:12 EDT (US)     7 / 9       
i thought grenader units were small right?
there was only like 20 per unit and they only had like 5 grenades each(on the offensive, defense was more)
so as far as i know, even if there overpowered they shouldnt have enough people to unleash it
or they could just do what the other posters said
Roman Warlord
Legionary
posted 11 December 2008 05:39 EDT (US)     8 / 9       
I think a lot of people are overestimating how poweful the Grenades are, I doubt they would be much use in a fight in an open field more to do with storming buildings/forts.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11 December 2008 07:56 EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Perhaps Grenadiers will be a bit like Legionaries in RTW. Instead of pila they throw grenades and instead of swords they use muskets and bayonets.

Hussarknight
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames