You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven)

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War (Archived-See Empire: Total War Heaven) » New video on Eurogamer
Bottom
Topic Subject:New video on Eurogamer
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 11 December 2008 07:50 EDT (US)         
Eurogamer has posted a new Empire: Total War video on their site. There is some new information in it in the form of small interviews with several people who are involved in the development, as well as new in-game footage of both the campaign and battle map. There's quite a bit of elephant footage as well as a quick glance at the technology tree and window showing what looks like info on the current government of your country.

Discuss in this thread.

Hussarknight
AuthorReplies:
Woolagaroo
Legionary
posted 11 December 2008 13:18 EDT (US)     1 / 12       
The game looks like it's coming along great. I hope it is indeed the most historically accurate Total War game to date.
Also, and it may be too early to discuss this (as Empire hasn't even hit the shelves), but I am intrigued by the mention of the possibility of a Twentieth Century Total War game, although I am not really sure the subject material would translate well. orderly formations make way for much more fluid battlefield tactics, armies evolve from occupying one particular spot to long fluid fronts, and battles become engagements that take place over areas of many miles and last for months. Not to mention all the new technology (airplanes would certainly be something new to the franchise) they would have to implement.Not that I am saying CA isn't equal to the task; despite their shortcomings, they're still the best group making strategy games in the business today. Perhaps the twentieth century would be a good setting for their next revolutionary game (I think to try it in an evolutionary game would be to shortchange the historical period and those who played the game).

Deutschland erwartet, dass jeder Mann seine Pflicht tun wird.
Россия ожидает, что каждый исполнит свой долг.
dakn77
Legionary
posted 11 December 2008 14:16 EDT (US)     2 / 12       
Yeah, I think they're getting ahead of themselves thinking of that. Before that, I think they should do a Rome Total War II with naval battles and a bigger map.
I think in general, an improvement, even over ETW, would be an expansion of the map to include all of South America and Africa and the Far East. Until they can do that, I don't think we need to see any sort of world war.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 11 December 2008 14:27 EDT (US)     3 / 12       
It's already failed as far as historical accuracy is concerned...still, it does have improvements on Rome, at least.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Woolagaroo
Legionary
posted 11 December 2008 15:05 EDT (US)     4 / 12       
I think it's a little early to say that the game has 'failed'. It hasn't even been released, let's wait to reserve judgment.

Deutschland erwartet, dass jeder Mann seine Pflicht tun wird.
Россия ожидает, что каждый исполнит свой долг.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 11 December 2008 15:35 EDT (US)     5 / 12       
...a war in Ireland ruled out...
That's the 1689 Rising they're talking about. Not only was it also fought on the mainland of Great Britain, but there were many Risings after that.
Which CA does not acknowledge.

That's a lot of history to miss out. I'd wager they'll take more liberties.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
dakn77
Legionary
posted 11 December 2008 15:41 EDT (US)     6 / 12       
The point of Total War games isn't to recreate every historical event, though, right? That would defeat the purpose of a grand campaign where anything goes. It would be a series of mini campaigns like the Road to Independence sounds like it will be.
The object is to create something that will effectively resemble history, I think, and that things will happen in the game as they might have happened in real life.
Also, I thought the date range for the game was only from after 1700. Does it go before that?
wolfthe3rd
Legionary
posted 11 December 2008 19:51 EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Omg I love Sharp
Sean Beans owns everyone in that show
Waffentraeger
Legionary
(id: Daelon)
posted 11 December 2008 22:36 EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Good to see that SEGA is trying very hard to maintain the total war concept, this is looking quite promising.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 12 December 2008 10:02 EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Did anyone else notice that guy taking a picture at about 6:00?

Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Hussarknight (edited 12-12-2008 @ 10:09 AM).]

Andalus
Legionary
posted 12 December 2008 11:03 EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Yes.

Did anyone notice that the footage shown at the beginning for MTW was from M2TW?! I have a feeling the video maker wasn't familiar with the other games!

Oh, and this has to be said:

"This is my coffee. This is Total War!"

But anyway, the footage in that video is simply breathtaking, and interesting info. Though the presenter was not funny, as hard as he tried.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 12 December 2008 11:40 EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Did anyone notice that the footage shown at the beginning for MTW was from M2TW?! I have a feeling the video maker wasn't familiar with the other games!
That'd explain a lot. I already thought it looked much better than I'd expected from MTW.

Hussarknight
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 12 December 2008 14:45 EDT (US)     12 / 12       
I noticed that too. Funny, really.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kŠn ɹid ­ɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames