You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » Map sprites turn invisible and the sea goes paper coloured
Bottom
Topic Subject:Map sprites turn invisible and the sea goes paper coloured
MrMew
Huskarl
posted 22 March 2015 01:46 EDT (US)         
After playing a few turns of the campaign the sprites on the campaign map go invisible except for the flags of armies. Also the sea turns into the paper colour of the map. Once sprites disappear on the campaign, units turn invisible if I zoom to close to them. Why does this happen?

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 22 March 2015 05:15 EDT (US)     1 / 8       
Which game are you playing?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
MrMew
Huskarl
posted 25 March 2015 02:25 EDT (US)     2 / 8       
Rome total war, no expansions at the moment.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 25 March 2015 02:40 EDT (US)     3 / 8       
Sprites are two-dimensional images used for viewing far away. Units without sprites are invisible from far away, which is why I find it so very odd that your units disappear when zooming in.

Frankly this is a new one for me. Congratulations!

As an analysis, something is wrong. (Duh). Something with the visual imagery. The game looks through the EDU to find the appropriate model and texture for the distance, and applies that to the screen. Knowing this, Have you made any changes to the EDU that might explain why the imagery is refusing to work?

The campaign map is governed by the map files under world/campaign/etc This is one that is usually NOT edited by players. So a malfunction here is not so easy to find.

Combine the two, and it seems you may have a corrupted file or three. Have you tried re-installing?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
MrMew
Huskarl
posted 25 March 2015 04:33 EDT (US)     4 / 8       
I haven't touched any of the data files and the sprites do work for a little while then vanish. Maybe it's to do with hardware? I can't reinstall, I had another thread explaining my install problem and solution. A quick google search yielded nothing.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 26 March 2015 03:25 EDT (US)     5 / 8       
I checked around.

Most of what I know about sprites and how to make them are in this article by SubRosa. Sprites are not necessary per se; they just save processing time. Back in 2007 that might have been an issue, but pc's have gotten much mor epowerful since then, rendering the time-saved by the sprite immaterial.

That said, SubRosa mentions two things that might be interesting. One is the Anti-Aliasing. Make such that is off. The other is fromma different article, that mentioned to check the driver of your video card. Sometimes those things override the system's settings on their own, acting funny. It might apply to your situation.

MrMew
Huskarl
posted 28 March 2015 16:14 EDT (US)     6 / 8       
Thanks, but um... How do I check my video card and address any issues it might have?

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 29 March 2015 04:43 EDT (US)     7 / 8       
You ask this of a man who thinks the longbow is the peak of man's technonology?

Seriously, I have no idea. Make sure the gaphics card has the correct driver, and maybe there is a setting in the system somewhere which allows graphic card driver to override, and turn that off.

If you have backwards-compatibility on your rig, try launching the game compatible to XP. That may also solve the problem.

My money still sits on a corrupted file somewhere.

MrMew
Huskarl
posted 30 March 2015 05:47 EDT (US)     8 / 8       
Well it is a slightly aged laptop... I did install it onto the harddrive using another computer. Probably just too much effort for the video memory maybe?

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames