You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Mongolphobia Mod

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Mongolphobia Mod » A Little Survey for v3.1.
Bottom
Topic Subject:A Little Survey for v3.1.
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 07 February 2009 00:14 EDT (US)         
Please answer these few questions, and I will make some changes in the next version depending on the answers.

1. Is the Papacy aggressive enough?

2. Are the Aztecs fine with current settings? (AI, units etc...)

3. Do you think it will be better for the Pope to respawn with a big army each time he is killed?

4. Now that the Aztecs can cross oceans, do you want Arguin and Timbuktu to be Rebel settlements again?

5. Can't believe I'm asking this but--Do Mongols and Timmies need campaign buffs? (more money per turn or better starting units etc...)

Michael Jackson
AuthorReplies:
Boetje
Legionary
posted 08 February 2009 07:52 EDT (US)     1 / 11       
1. yes
2. the aztecs expand a lot faster than the other superfaction. maybe the revenants are over-powered... (i haven't found any weaknesses yet, except for lots of fire...
3. that would be quite fun...
4. no, that would slow the aztecs down to much.
5. the timmies expand a little slow i both my denmark campaign and my fathers papacy. they don't have as awesome easy to train units as death retainers, revenants and mongol horse archers. the mongols took the steppes very quickly but fell silent soon thereafter. maybe you should do something about that.

PS: the pope hasn't trained any seraphim, while he has a huge cathedral for around 40 turns now... why?

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
Hoppylyte
Legionary
posted 08 February 2009 17:31 EDT (US)     2 / 11       
I can't find a way to kill Aztec Revenants. Short of using seraphim of course.
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 08 February 2009 20:53 EDT (US)     3 / 11       
the pope hasn't trained any seraphim, while he has a huge cathedral for around 40 turns now... why?
That's easy to answer. The Seraphims although powerful on field battles, have only 6 men per unit--thus considered very weak in auto resolve. That's why the AI is not training them. I could make the numbers higher but that means they will really lag your computer when they fire all at once.
I can't find a way to kill Aztec Revenants. Short of using seraphim of course.
Train heavy cavalry and charge them to kill them in one shot. If you can hold them with pikemen and then charge from behind, it is even easier. Use artillery otherwise.

BTW, anyone have problems with Zombelephants so far?

Michael Jackson
Boetje
Legionary
posted 09 February 2009 07:48 EDT (US)     4 / 11       
That's easy to answer. The Seraphims although powerful on field battles, have only 6 men per unit--thus considered very weak in auto resolve. That's why the AI is not training them. I could make the numbers higher but that means they will really lag your computer when they fire all at once.
can't you just give them 10000 attack points? (DO NOT INCREASE EXPLOSION RADIUS!) they won't get any deadlier by that, but AI will think they are much stronger...

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 09 February 2009 22:26 EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Unfortunately, the attack damage can only be pushed to the value of 65. I made the Seraphims a lot cheaper in campaign so the Papacy might use them in this version. However, I made it so that only 1 unit Seraphims can be trained in 10 turns. Can't have them swarming around and burning everything insight, can we now?

BTW, the whole reason I made the Revenants is for taking settlements from those players who only rely on the defensive to beat the super factions. I ask you, what fun is there to rely solely on walls and towers to kill units someone spent hundreds of hours to develop? No, you gotta face them on the field battle and die like a true man. If, you managed to survive...then you have indeed reached the godlike stage in tactics.

Also, due to the complaints about the Mongols and the Timmies not expanding good enough, I pushed their reinforcement time table forward. Now you can expect the Mongol reinforcements as early as in 50 turns and the Timmies 50 turns after that, way before gunpowder event! Don't blame me if Europe and the Middle East gets a throughout ravishing.

I tried giving the Pope big army after each death but it really messes up with the pace of the game. I scratched it and instead made it so the Papacy will receive reinforcements in roughly 50 years intervals, to help them against humans. At least one of the generals leading the reinforcements will have a familiar name.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 02-09-2009 @ 11:13 PM).]

deathdude612
Legionary
posted 11 February 2009 13:57 EDT (US)     6 / 11       
1. Is the Papacy aggressive enough?-They seem to expand quickly in early game, but late game

2. Are the Aztecs fine with current settings? (AI, units etc...) It would be nice if the aztecs attacked england and scotland, possibly france too early in the game with naval invasions. While most factions have to deal with uber factions early, england, france, scotland ect. don't have to deal with much until later.

3. Do you think it will be better for the Pope to respawn with a big army each time he is killed?-no, that sounds overpowered, even for Mongolphobia.

4. Now that the Aztecs can cross oceans, do you want Arguin and Timbuktu to be Rebel settlements again?-No, I like it the way it is

5. Can't believe I'm asking this but--Do Mongols and Timmies need campaign buffs? (more money per turn or better starting units etc...)-no

BTW, anyone have problems with Zombelephants so far?

I've used them, I don't think they should be able to enter settlements, they are unbeatable.

Betrayed by total war? Last minute game change that will
give people who pay 10$ extra an advantage in multiplayer. Must read
http://etw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=24,232,,30
http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/41604/t/Special-Forces-and-Pre-order-Units-update.html?page=1

[This message has been edited by deathdude612 (edited 02-11-2009 @ 02:05 PM).]

el_bandito
Legionary
posted 11 February 2009 22:39 EDT (US)     7 / 11       
Thanks for the feed backs. I think I know what to do. (Uh-Oh)

Michael Jackson
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 12 February 2009 12:59 EDT (US)     8 / 11       
I've played through more up to gunpowder so I think I can answer now better than my original thoughts.

1) More than enough. It's fantastic. It's like having Chuck Norris or whatever the latest cliche is starting next to you. Now I've completely curbed it's power to all of 3 units- the pope, his mate, and a unit of the floggers, he's also reasonable. Good work.

2) I'd prefer them to hit northern spain around gunpowder, but hey, I'm not complaining. The only thing I'd say is that they skip the normal zombies out and go straight for the armor guys, but hey, my guys have silver chevrons. it's a good fight. The naval landings also are fun if you've got Italy, as you have a constant battle for the seas where suddenly island ports play a larger role than castles.

3) Your suggestion of an army after 50 years will probably work better. My idea was to have him with a few units of papal guard each time, but hey.

4) Timbuktu I can live with. Arguin keep aztec at all costs- that way they'll have a foothold.

5) Mongols are now the menace you claimed. The only reason why they weren't killing everything in sight was because they subjected Russia to their rule.

No, the people who need buffing are the Timmies. Egypt is pushing upwards into their lands, while they were hemmed in the north by Turks- Mongolian vassals. They had to break their mongolian alliance to have a crack at the remaining turks but it failed, probably because as far as I can tell Poland capturing Antioch and Aleppo.

I reckon either a) giving Timurids Antioch and acre from the start or b) up the starting buildings of their settlements and those around them to more developed status. They're the victims of crusades so you're running a fine balance between OPed and just another middle eastern faction that gets seriously set back after crusades.

If you've got any worries as to if you'll OP them, look what you did to aztecs and the pope- monsters that are near impossible to fight off right next to some popular factions in the latter, an almost unresistible tide the former. The Mongols are also a super state- not in the trumpety way of the Aztecs and Papal armies, but in a slightly more old school way. Except for the hell cannon.

Hell, perhaps an awesome infantry unit is the answer. Or a unit that plays rather like the roman legionaries- you can still program the fire-before-charging trait they had. Perhaps the Timmies found records of the effectiveness of the legions and decided to have a go...

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Boetje
Legionary
posted 12 February 2009 13:54 EDT (US)     9 / 11       
... but they thought: "isn't greek fire much more effective than a volley of pila?"

and the timmies conquer the map.

(byzantine firethrowers are the only reason why i am able to stand up against those pesky revenants attacking sicily all the time)

i also tried a custom battle to test pope vs. aztecs and a volley of point-blank rotting cow shot killed 2 zombelephants easily (after they had trampled up 4 units of death retainers...)

on a pause, i saw that the famine retainers shoot bananas... that's what i call oddly-shaped crossbow bolts!

el_bandito
Legionary
posted 12 February 2009 20:47 EDT (US)     10 / 11       
It would be nice if the aztecs attacked england and scotland, possibly france too early in the game with naval invasions. While most factions have to deal with uber factions early, england, france, scotland ect. don't have to deal with much until later.
Sorry, that will stretch the Aztecs too thin and there will be the danger of them stalling for centuries.

Even if your faction will have to deal with Aztec later, by that time they will have stacks of elite Zombies spawning from god knows how many settlements. Are you sure you want to fight them later rather than sooner?

Also, don't even think being on the British Isles will save you. Sufficient to say that I just watched 28 Days Later reruns and it gave me a fabulous idea.
No, the people who need buffing are the Timmies. Egypt is pushing upwards into their lands, while they were hemmed in the north by Turks- Mongolian vassals. They had to break their mongolian alliance to have a crack at the remaining turks but it failed, probably because as far as I can tell Poland capturing Antioch and Aleppo.
Nah, Damascus and Aleppo is fine. I will upgrade Aleppo into a Fortress or Citadel. That will help the Timmies get elite units early on.
Hell, perhaps an awesome infantry unit is the answer. Or a unit that plays rather like the roman legionaries- you can still program the fire-before-charging trait they had. Perhaps the Timmies found records of the effectiveness of the legions and decided to have a go...
I can try that with buffed up Afghan Javelinmen. As I recall, the prec ability of R:TW still work in M2:TW.
on a pause, i saw that the famine retainers shoot bananas... that's what i call oddly-shaped crossbow bolts!
Bananas are related to food, and food is related to famine. Hence Retainers of "Famine".

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 02-12-2009 @ 08:58 PM).]

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 13 February 2009 10:42 EDT (US)     11 / 11       
Those changes should work fairly well. The AI loves afghans- heck, even the Mongols had half a stacks of the mercs in one campaign. Fortress Aleppo sounds just the tonic, too.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames