You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Mongolphobia Mod

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Mongolphobia Mod » Mongolphobia v.3.1 is Out!!!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Mongolphobia v.3.1 is Out!!!
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 15 February 2009 22:11 EDT (US)         
Grab it while it is hot! Here is the LINK. I re-uploaded over the old v3, so it is in the same place.

*Newbie Warning*

The Mongolphobia version 3, and subsequent 3.1 contain materials unsuited for the faint-hearted kings and emperors. It is damn hard. Try out regular Retrofit Mod and/or Mongolphobia v.2 if you want easy-to-average challenge. If you are real crazy then by all means try out v.3.1 on very-hard difficulty

VERSION 3.1 CHANGES

1. Mongols start with Sarkel and Caffa in addition to Bulgar. Chinggis is now the rightful ruler of the Mongols, and his four sons are ready to continue the legacy of the Storm from the East!

2. Timurids start with Baghdad in addition to Aleppo and Damascus. They are more aggressive than ever, beware!

3. Mongol and Timurid reinforcement events forwarded greatly. Turn 35 and turn 70 to be more precise. Mongol stacks' numbers reduced to five, and Timurids reduced to four.

4. Papacy also will receive some reinforcement (1 full stack first time, two full stacks second time) during those events. If you leave them be, they will be a huge threat later on.

5. Aztec Revenants now have one less HP and two less armor. They will be trained less. (people complained they are too powerful)

6. Aztecs can build their High Temple in one turn but with no zombies initially available.

7. Many buildings now have reduced costs. (especially smiths) Hurray for 7000 florin Gothic Armorer with only 4 turns build time. It is up to you to find out which buildings now costs less.

8. Most high end buildings now require less time to build. No building will take more than 5 turns to build. Helps the players and AI to develop better and reduce the boring wait time in between.

9. Timurid Devil’s Tongue Elephant fire attack is now very effective against settlement walls! Watch as your stone walls reduced to rubble.

10. Some Scottish, Danish and Aztec units gained the “war cry” ability which can increase attack damage after 10 seconds of channeling. Lasts 30 seconds.

11. Aztec unit numbers increased slightly. Zombie numbers are still the same.

12. Certain regions’ initial religion distribution changed a bit. The change won’t have too much effect on human players. Just trying to ensure the Aztecs and Mongols have better chance of expanding.

13. Bedouin Cavalry horse mount changed to camels. Received new unit card.

14. Bedouin Cavalry and Bedouin Mounted Archers are renamed to Llama Lancers and Llama Archers. (actually camel but what the heck ) Aztecs can now train them from various types of castles. Muslim players can recruit them as mercenaries later on in the game.

15. Camel mounts now have roughly twice as many mass than regular horse. Basically they can charge much better now.

16. HRE Dismounted Halbbruder and Spanish Trecenago both received shield values. Thanks for pointing it out Boetje.

17. Added more defense value to Norse Axemen and more attack value to Gotland Footman to vary their roles further. Otherwise, they are too identical.

18. AI Danes and Scots now have better chance of expanding. They used to freeze a lot.

19. Mongol artillery crews received shield values according to their new looks.

20. “The World is Round” will happen sooner than before. (soon after the gunpowder event) Those who are brave enough can sail towards the lair of the Aztecs and destroy them once and for all!

21. Lancer type cavalry received even more charge bonus. They are useful now. Just don’t let them be flanked.

22. Crusader sergeants and knights recruited during Crusade will be twice as expensive, compared with before.

23. Afghan Javelinmen renamed to Afghan Warriors. They have improved melee attack, charge, and shield defense value and can stand cavalry charge better. They will charge into melee after throwing a volley, just like Roman Legionnaires. The mercenary version remained unchanged.

24. …and many other small changes I made but forgot to mention. All for the better, I assure you.

AI CHANGES

1. Further redefined how each faction builds buildings.

2. Factions are now more likely to train units unique to them. This is big. You will notice the difference right away. No more Mailed Knight spam by every western Europeans! England will focus on Longbowmen, Billmen etc... Papacy now spams less death retainers and more other retainers, including Seraphim. Timmies will train Elephants more.

____________________________________________________________ ____________

Well, now that is out of the way, I can finally go back to normal life. I won't lie if I say the whole v.3 and 3.1 made my social life go down the drain. I avoided my friends, and was yelled at by the parents, and abstained from carnal pleasure for a whole month and a half. Lots of things need to be mended.

Unfortunately for the Mongolphobia fans, the v3.1. will probably be the last of Mongolphobia series if no serious bug is reported. I think I came close to as much of a perfection I envisioned. (98.92% sure) So adieu, and enjoy getting the maximum challenge out of M2:TW. May we meet again in E:TW.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 02-22-2009 @ 08:39 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Boetje
Legionary
posted 16 February 2009 09:51 EDT (US)     1 / 16       
no! weaker zombies?!

I beat the aztecs out of Tunis, Angers, Marseille, Toulouse, Algiers and I am on my way to Bordeaux! I want to be the only one to beat back the Aztecs for a bit longer!

is 3.1 save0game compatible with 3.0?

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 16 February 2009 20:42 EDT (US)     2 / 16       
Yes it is compatible with every previous Mongolphobia version.

Michael Jackson
Hoppylyte
Legionary
posted 16 February 2009 23:45 EDT (US)     3 / 16       
Oh god, MORE seraphim? I can just imagine the carnage wreaked by the "peaceful" pope. I can see it in my head, you attempt to assasinate the pope and it fails. 5 cards of seraphim are dispatched to five cities. Upon arrival each unit unleashes a hail of fire from the sky, burning all your buildings to the ground... I'm scared to try this on M/M.
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 17 February 2009 00:33 EDT (US)     4 / 16       
Worry not, Seraphim is only available from Huge Cathedral and you will need 10 turns to train just one. The Pope will still give you hard time without them anyway.

PS: There is easy/easy mode, ya know.

Michael Jackson
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 17 February 2009 00:58 EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Just to give you guys a heads up here is how my test Campaign as the Danes went. I didn't expand, rather I sent spies to check on what each faction was doing. The setting was hard/hard.

*Note* I shot these pics before I uploaded 3.1. so some changes were made meanwhile.

1114 AD. Mongols expand at alarming rate. They took 7 settlements already, mostly rebel. At war with the Byzantines and Turks. Timmies expand as well. Moors lost Marrakesh to Aztecs.

1144 AD. An alliance of Russia, Poland and Hungary pushed back Mongols a bit. Timmies, expand further. Aztecs take lower half of Iberia. Papacy finally moves and takes Genoa from the Milanese.

The Papal army. As you can see, now they have nicPly mixed army instead of "death" spamming.

Timurid army. As you can see, the Turkoman spam is gone. Now it is more balanced. Bit too many Naffatun Grenadiers but oh well.

Anatolia is a bad place for a human player to be. Turkish or Byzantine players beware.

Portuguese army. Trademark Javeliners with javelin cavalry combo. Loving it.

Spanish army is identical, since their starting armies are silmilar, except they have swordsmen.

Venice is now infantry heavy faction with mix of spear and sword, accompanied by bowmen.

Aztecs--a mighty horde. Yes, still too many Zombies but I further reduced them before I uploaded so no worries.

1156 AD. Mongols and Timmies still expanding. Jihading Timmies took Constantinople. They also took Cyprus.
*Note* Muslims will now always Jihad to Constantinople first since Baghdad is given to the Timmies. Pope took Milan.

The Milanese army. As I intended, they prefer Mercenaries.

Here is the reason the Pope is not being too aggressive. It's eastward expansion is halted by the alliance with the HRE. It will only delay the inevitable since even alliance is not a guaranteed free-of-attack.

The political situation. Mongols are at war with loads of nations while the Timmies already made Byzantines and Turks vassals! Aztecs are now fighting Sicily.

HRE army. Some cavalry but no spamming. Nice mix of forces. Offers better challenge.

Mongol army. Loads of light troops with odd Hashal mixed in. Good. They recruit Smoke Bombers as well.

As expected, the Super factions are still top 4. Egypt is 5th but I have a feeling it will change soon.

Egyptian army. Loads of Mamluk Archers! I might reduce them a bit but I really like cavalry heavy Egypt.

As with Anatolia, Eastern Europe, especially around Halych is hell on earth. Polish/Hungarian players beware. I suggest all Russian players to migrate to Scandinavia.
Pope took Venice and Bern. Awesome.

Timmies arrive to Crete. They already took Rhodes. Islands are never too far to the Timurid might.

English army. Focused on Longbowmen and Billmen instead of knight spam. Nice, nice.

1190 AD. Oh God help us. Iberia has fallen to the Aztecs!

Timurids made a simultaneous attack on Acre and Jerusalem. Told ya Egypt won't gloat for long.
The Timurid army is now a great mix of heavy troops including the newly christened Afghan Warriors and more importantly, Devil's Tongue Elephants! MUAHAHAHAHA!

Well, I hope you all now have some idea on what awaits you in v3.1, atleast in the first 100 years.. Have fun.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 02-17-2009 @ 01:39 AM).]

Andalus
Legionary
posted 17 February 2009 06:27 EDT (US)     6 / 16       
*Newbie Warning*

The Mongolphobia version 3, and subsequent 3.1 contain materials unsuited for the faint-hearted kings and emperors. It is damn hard. Try out regular Retrofit Mod and/or Mongolphobia v.2 if you want easy-to-average challenge. If you are real crazy then by all means try out v.3.1 on very-hard difficulty
I could not agree more. And if you are really crazy, then you're probably el_bandito.

I am liking the effect this is having on armies, and making them less of a monotonous horde of knight spam.
Egyptian army. Loads of Mamluk Archers! I might reduce them a bit but I really like cavalry heavy Egypt.
I agree. I love fighting with Mamluk Archers. Maybe it'd be interesting to fight against them more.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 22 February 2009 05:17 EDT (US)     7 / 16       
Dude, I'm heading straight for Poland, or byzantines, VH/VH. I've played Milan through quite a lot, taking on the west, infantry-based super powers. Now I'll see what you've done to the east

Agreed the mod is probably reaching it's main goal- of being an awesome if fantastic challenge (Though I'll have to play to back that up). The only thing that that could possibly be changed is the odd tweak if needed (in which case it'll be a patch, not taking up any time). I feel anything else can be done by a determined sub mod

Thus, downloading. Again. Newsied. Again. I'll have to think about writing a review at some stage, I think. Unless another mongolphobia player wants to beat me to it.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 22 February 2009 20:50 EDT (US)     8 / 16       
I played Byzantines in v.2 and I can tell you the Byzantines in v.3.1 will face insurmountable odds as well as stacks of Jihading Mongols and Timmies at the door step of Constantinople. Add to the fact that you can't call a crusade, and the Pope might creep up on you from the west with elite army...you get the picture. One of the most challenging nations to play.

Good thing the Byzantines received new units in v.2 such as Byzantine Heavy Spearmen, Armored Cavalarii, Ribaults, Byzantine Shotgunners, and Rocket Elephants. The latter three need gunpowder event so I hope you can hold out until then. Byzantine Shotgunners are very potent as of v.3.1. They can stop any infantry charge dead in the tracks. The Timmies will train more elephants to oppose you, but if you fought with the Zombelephants as Milan, then you agree that Devil's Tongue ELephants are child's play compared with that Aztec monstrosity.

About sub-mods--If you guys are up to it, you are most welcome to mod Mongolphobia further to enrich it.(some are already doing it I heard) I have pretty much let it loose from my hands now and I encourage people who want to improve it even more. As I said in the readme, this mod is for everyone.

EoJ, a review would be fantastic. I am planning to post the mod on other TW sites but I'm too lazy to write something to show to gamers what the mod is. If you can write a review, with some pics included, then it will be a blessing from the heavens. I can then comfortably show other sites what the mod offers in some detail.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 02-22-2009 @ 08:55 PM).]

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 23 February 2009 02:26 EDT (US)     9 / 16       
The only changes I've done to my game is to tweak Afghan warriors to be light infantry instead of missile to not confuse the AI, carbon copy that onto the afghan mercs and upped the price slightly. I then tried adding precursor javelin throws to byzantine infantry like the romans of old, but fiddling with the modeldb gave me the funny result of them throwing their swords, which majiked into javelins once in the air, and charging with fists.

el_bandito
Legionary
posted 23 February 2009 03:23 EDT (US)     10 / 16       
The only changes I've done to my game is to tweak Afghan warriors to be light infantry instead of missile to not confuse the AI
Nice. I'm gonna do that do my copy as well.

Michael Jackson
Andalus
Legionary
posted 23 February 2009 06:19 EDT (US)     11 / 16       
fiddling with the modeldb gave me the funny result of them throwing their swords, which majiked into javelins once in the air, and charging with fists.
Well, you see, the quality of the legions deteriorated over time...

But yeah, you need to edit the model for that, surely.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 23 February 2009 10:34 EDT (US)     12 / 16       
I'm having a look round the internet to see if I can find a suitable model, but hey, I can live without it

IncendiaryPiggy
Legionary
posted 02 March 2009 11:35 EDT (US)     13 / 16       
This may seem like a noob question, but can you play as any of the super factions? Timmies, Mongols, Aztecs or Papacy? Or are they just increased challenges?
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 02 March 2009 22:09 EDT (US)     14 / 16       
Of course you can play as those super factions. Steamrolling the puny nations never felt so good as the Mongols/Timurids/Papacy/and Aztecs.

Michael Jackson
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 12 March 2009 12:02 EDT (US)     15 / 16       
From the general discussion forum-
Seeing how your Templar Knights are having great effect against the heathen Mongols, perhaps I should bring tons of Santiago Knights.
If I can catch them- those heavy horse archers have overwhelmed Templars before, and probably will continue to do so even as I mop them up.
BTW EoJ, is the Mongol force composition good enough? Do you feel that there is a need to further change the unit distribution? I focused mostly on horse archers and lancers instead of Mongol Infantry which the default Retrofit AI preferred. I also allowed more recruiting of the Hashals and Naffatun Grenadiers in the recruitment department. Perhaps you can tell me how they fared in actual combat?
There are just enough Hashal in your typical army to dissuade you from an all-cavalry army, but not enough to actually form the core of the army. Horse archers are still kings, with a decent mix of the lighter horse archers backed up well with the heavies. Royal keshieks have been relatively rare until I marched into their more developed provinces, so they're OK. Seeing as it isn't gunpowder yet, either, I can excuse the lack of Heaven's Wrath and Rocket launchers- even then, the reinforcements happily make up for it.

As said, they are still a threat even though they are scattered and isolated. A small group of 4 or so units in my northern fringe easily took Moscow with intelligence, and the stacks themselves seem to be content with picking off the odd stray column while they gradually move south. The exception seems to be Ryazan, which has a full stack hovering around it which looks like a very tough proposition to get done. Can't comment on the other super powers, but I anticipate I'll be in contact with the Timurids within a couple of sessions, and they're very well developed.

By the way, the Aztecs in my game have seemed to have cooled on Spain and gone for Egypt. I feel their stacks have been tied up in the island war against the Pope and the assault on Egyptian homelands. Portugal has been long gone, but Spain has quickly become a dominant faction in my view by expanding east into France. I'm glad to say the Byzantines are there, mostly due to alliance networks with the Timurids, and there are around 5 pre-gunpowder Huge Cities, including Caffa, the top right hand corner province (Both owned by myself, Poland, after taking them from the Mongols), Damascus (Timurids), Constantinople (Byzantines), and Rome (Pope). However, the latter has Italy fully under control, Timurids and Aztecs have large proportions of Large cities, and Byzantines have their alliance networks, while my entire western fringe is essentially a backwater, and my west has rather a lot of Mongols to displace.

el_bandito
Legionary
posted 14 March 2009 03:48 EDT (US)     16 / 16       
Awesome! Looks like the Mongols are set.

I'm looking forward to your comments on the Timmies when you duke it out with them.

Michael Jackson
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames