You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Mongolphobia Mod

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.33 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Mongolphobia Mod » Mongolphobia V.4 Report (Please read!)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Mongolphobia V.4 Report (Please read!)
Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 27 April 2009 17:15 EDT (US)         
I'm helping el_bandito with Mongolphobia. My arduous task is that of adding Serbia into the game. I've gone ahead and modeled it after Venice but I will probably change it to Hungary or possibly Byzantium. Are there any units, cities, etc. That you guys would want to see in the game?

For the units, if they're not in-game already, and you would want a new unit, I would need to know several things.

-What type it is (Spearmen, light-infantry, cavalry etc.)

-Its name

-How good of a unit it is (This will go into its stats)

-Any special abilities that you may want

-Secondary weapons or no?

-Appearance suggestions

Further detail would be loved! I'm awaiting the current files from el_bandito, who from his last email expressed that he was sick and is not active on anything right now. Once I recieve the current files, I can begin my work on the mod. (I've practiced making it with limited success eg. the faction banners are of Venice >.> )

To el_bandito/EoJ in descr_sm_factions is a line of code saying whether or not the faction allows princesses. I would assume that you simply change that to yes instead of no, and bam!

Getting back to Serbia, I'm currently trying to mod 2 cities into the game which Serbia will start out with. They will be:
-Belgrade
-Senta/Sonta (help with spelling!)

The in-game setup will be somewhat tricky, however, because the engine permits 31(32?) factions at a time, but only 21 in the selection screen. This would mean that in order to play as Serbia, one faction would have to be removed from the playable list. We have thought of removing the Aztecs. But also, I need clarification on this. Would it be possible to just switch the factions for whatever campaign you're on from playable/non-playable so you could choose whatever faction you want?

I have the starting family characters, units, and cities. el_bandito and I have requested the services of another modder who specializes in skins/banners. He shall be available in about a week or two. Also, in my research on Serbia, I found that Serbia is mainly an Orthodox nation. If you really want, I can change it to Catholicism, but at the expense of historical accuracy (A stupid question, perhaps?) and the Russians/Byzantines not having another friend to play with.

If there are any thoughts or unit suggestions, please, post them so I can make Serbia the way you guys want.

Regards,
Glacier_Girl

Think you're a hotshot against the Mongols? Go to the Mongolphobia mod discussions and download the mod, then, you will surely tremble with fear in the face of the Mongols. If you have suggestions/questions, feel free to make a thread. You can download Mongolphobia here. Good luck.

“Life lives, life dies. Life laughs, life cries. Life gives up and life tries. But life looks different through everyone's eyes.” -Unknown

Read my AAR/Story "The Battle of the Bridge" here!

[This message has been edited by Glacier_Girl (edited 04-27-2009 @ 05:16 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Hoppylyte
Legionary
posted 27 April 2009 19:23 EDT (US)     1 / 33       
Why don't you just mod it into the descr_strat thinger? That way the player can choose which faction he isn't interested in playing in and replace it with Serbia. I think that another Orthodx faction would be nice to accompany the Russians and the Byzantines.
Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 27 April 2009 19:54 EDT (US)     2 / 33       
That's what I said...and I would think that you wouldn't have to delete anything, just replace for example, the Aztecs, from playable to nonplayable. Also, thanks for the vote on Orthodox. I was leaning toward Orthodoxy, but just wanted to check with the players first.

Think you're a hotshot against the Mongols? Go to the Mongolphobia mod discussions and download the mod, then, you will surely tremble with fear in the face of the Mongols. If you have suggestions/questions, feel free to make a thread. You can download Mongolphobia here. Good luck.

“Life lives, life dies. Life laughs, life cries. Life gives up and life tries. But life looks different through everyone's eyes.” -Unknown

Hoppylyte
Legionary
posted 27 April 2009 21:25 EDT (US)     3 / 33       
If you do make a Serbia I'm sure it'll be extremely fun to play as. It'll be similar to the Byzantines except without the rich city of Constantinople or Alexius to save them from power hungary Catholics. Out of curiosity, you said that you were modeling them after Venice, does this mean uber prawnage militia troops then?

Edit: I've been doing some googling on the Serbian army during Medieval times and it seems to say that the Serbs were modeled around the Byzantine army, especially with calvary armed with both lance and bows. "Vlastela" I believe their names were. I imagine they would be similar to a cross between dvor calvary and hussars. In the later periods they were often covered with German or Italian plate armor. For the infantry instead of using the usual bland seargant spearmen you could use Voinuks. Voinuks were the Serb heavy spearmen who in the later periods used heavy weapons and had heavier armor then their European counterparts. Plus the super smexy German calvary mercs too. Please note that this isn't serious research, I just spend like 5 minutes looking at the results from "Medieval Serbia Army." It would be nice though for some variety in a new faction though instead of a clone of Hungary or something. By the way, do you have any idea when V.4 is coming out? I wanna try out a Serbian AAR.

[This message has been edited by Hoppylyte (edited 04-27-2009 @ 10:20 PM).]

vampiric canniba
Legionary
posted 28 April 2009 00:17 EDT (US)     4 / 33       
So you're deleting Venice in order to make Serbia? Keep the
uber pawnage militia troops
Because Serbians would probably be hardened people,because Serbia is pretty cold. You should add a super destroyanator obliterating-er unit.

EDIT x4 What are uber 'prawnage' militia?

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix

[This message has been edited by vampiric canniba (edited 05-22-2009 @ 04:45 AM).]

Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 28 April 2009 08:09 EDT (US)     5 / 33       
Ok, last time explaining it. I'm not deleting any factions. I just modeled Serbia after Venice for a play-test. Think about it this way. It's like making a clay pot while looking at another, finished clay pot to make sure that you're doing it right.

Also, thank you, Hoppylyte.
-Modeled after Byzantium
-Heavy Spears
-I know from previous research that they're cavalry heavy, both heavy and light.

Would you guys like/hate if I let the Serbs have Italian Spear Militia or I make a similar, renamed, and slightly changed stat other unit.

As for the release date, think Nintendo.

el_bandito
Legionary
posted 28 April 2009 23:35 EDT (US)     6 / 33       
Nice ideas.

Serbia definitely will be good as an Orthodox nation.

As for the units, probably a hybrid of Slavic and Hungarian and some Italian units will be ok.

I'm close to finishing 3.2 and I will send you the files then, Glacy.

Michael Jackson
vampiric canniba
Legionary
posted 29 April 2009 00:04 EDT (US)     7 / 33       
So you're not deleting anyone. But why Serbia? What about(em, err) the Tlaxcalan or Tarascans? The Aztecs need some mesoamerican foes, after all.(with zombielephants)

I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 29 April 2009 08:11 EDT (US)     8 / 33       
Ummm...no. Do that yourself.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 29 April 2009 10:45 EDT (US)     9 / 33       
I'm not sure they'd survive long enough to be worth the effort, Vampire!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Andalus
Legionary
posted 29 April 2009 11:03 EDT (US)     10 / 33       
I am confused still about how you are putting Serbia into the game. What faction is being replaced?
Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 29 April 2009 18:14 EDT (US)     11 / 33       
The game engine allows for 32 factions including slaves, but the campaign selection shows 21 factions. Just edit about 14ish files that require text and a new faction will be created. No faction is being replaced, but you will have to either manually replace a faction in descr_stat from playable to nonplayable for the selection to appear.

If you need help on this, then visit this very helpful site. Under factions is 'Create new faction from nothing'.

El_bandito, it's been about a week and a half, did you hear from the 3-D modeler?

Andalus
Legionary
posted 30 April 2009 03:22 EDT (US)     12 / 33       
The game engine allows for 32 factions including slaves, but the campaign selection shows 21 factions. Just edit about 14ish files that require text and a new faction will be created. No faction is being replaced, but you will have to either manually replace a faction in descr_stat from playable to nonplayable for the selection to appear.
Ooh, very nice. I did not know that!
Xishko
Legionary
posted 30 April 2009 03:33 EDT (US)     13 / 33       
The uber strong unit should be Serbian knights.
They should be moved from mercenary pool and added to their.
And there are Bosnian and Balkan archers,Slav mercenaries that could be also added to the recruitment pool.
Vlastela was a name for Serbian nobles like Feudal knights in western europe.
Our king was Stefan Nemanja and I hope you make him and his family a rulling one.
Also first Serbian Bishop was Ratsko Nemanjic also know as Saint Sava(he was got name Sava when he went to become a monk)
but he was the youngest son of Stefan Nemanja.
If you want I can get you the full family tree tomorrow or day after tomorrow.
Also I could dig up their whole army and organization but that will take few days.

Thanks for putting us on the map!!
Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 30 April 2009 08:17 EDT (US)     14 / 33       
Thank you, Xishko! That helped tremendously!

It will take me a little bit longer, but I'm still waiting for the 3.2 files. I'm glad to add Serbia to the map.

Xishko
Legionary
posted 30 April 2009 09:25 EDT (US)     15 / 33       
No prob I want to help,but I dont know how to mod,but I can get you all info and I can try and figure out if you get stuck somewere.
My msn Xishko@live.com
Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 30 April 2009 21:49 EDT (US)     16 / 33       
Anything and everything you can contribute will be loved and used to further enhance gameplay. Please email me at glaciergirl14(at)yahoo(dot)com

Xishko
Legionary
posted 03 May 2009 08:15 EDT (US)     17 / 33       
Here is what I found on wiki because I am to lazy/busy to write it all down myself,it is pretty much accurate but it is a short version and I really dont want to write 100 pages

According to legend, the Serbs were ruled by the descendants of the Unknown Archont who led them to the Balkans from White Serbia; its three related medieval dynasties follow a continuous bloodline all the way to the 1400s A.D. At first heavily dependent on the Byzantine Empire as its vassal, under the Višeslav-Vlastimirović dynasty- Raška (Rascia)- gained independence by expulsion of the Byzantine troops and heavy defeat of the Bulgarian army (847-850). Official adoption of Christianity soon followed (under Prince Mutimir Vlastimirović.[31] First dynasty died out in 960 A.D. with the death of Prince Časlav, who managed to unify all the Serb populated lands, centered between contemporary South Serbia and Montenegro, almost all of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the coastal south of Croatia.[32] The wars of succession for the Serb throne led to incorporation into the Byzantine Empire (971).

Around 1040 AD an uprising in the coastal Serb lands, in the medieval state of Duklja, overthrew Byzantine rule. Duklja then assumed domination over the Serbian lands between 11-12th centuries under the dynasty of Vojislavljević (who, according to legend, they were descendants of the 1st dynasty). In 1077 A.D. Duklja became the first Serb Kingdom (under Michael I- ruler of Tribals and Serbs),[33] following the establishment of the catholic Bisphoric of Bar. From late 12th century onwards, a new state called Raska, centred in present-day southern Serbia, rose to become the paramount Serb state. Over the 13th and 14th century, it ruled over the other Serb lands (the Hum, Travunia and Duklja/Zeta, whereas Bosnia was detached from Serbia proper by its incoporation into Hungary). During this time, Serbia began to expand eastward (toward Nis), southward into Kosovo and northern Macedonia and northward toward Srem and Macva for the first time. This shift away from the Adriatic coast brought Serbia increasingly under the influence of the Eastern Orthodox, although a substantial proportion of Catholics were found in the coastal regions. By the beginning of the 14th century Serbs lived in four distinctly independent kingdoms- Dioclea, Rascia, Bosnia and Syrmia.[34][35][36]

The House of Nemanjić, descendants of the kings of Duklja, moved from Duklja to Raška, signaling a shift towards continental Serbia in the late 12th century. A direct result of this was the establishment of the Serbian Orthodox Church in 1217, which rivaled the Catholic Bishopric of Bar. Under the Nemanjic dynasty, Medieval Serbia reached itsn economic, legal, miiltary and religious apogee. The Serbian Kingdom of Raška was proclaimed in 1219, joined later by the Kingdom of Syrmia and the Banovina of Mačva. Finally, the Serbian Empire under Stefan Dušan was formed in 1346. Under Dušan's rule, Serbia reached its territorial peak, becoming one of the larger states in Europe, portraying itself as the heir of the run-down Byzantine Empire, and indeed was the most powerful Balkan state of the period. The renowned Dušan's Code, a universal system of laws, was enforced. The Serbian identity has been profoundly shaped by the rule of this dynasty and its accomplishments, with Serbian Orthodox Church assuming the role of the national spiritual guardian.
As a result of internal struggle between rival noble families, the Serbian Empire had dissolved into many statelets by the beginning of the 15th century.House of Mrnjavčević,House of Lazarević and House of Branković ruled the Serbian lands in 15th and 16th century.Throughout this two centuries, constant struggles took place between various Serbian kingdoms on the one hand, and the Ottoman Empire on the other. The turning point was the fall of Constantinople and its last emperor (of Serbo-Greek ethnicity)[38] Constantine Dragaš- Paleologus, to the Turks. The Serbian Despotate fell in 1459 following the siege of the "temporary" capital Smederevo, followed by Bosnia a few years later, and Herzegovina in 1482. Montenegro was overrun by 1499. Belgrade was the last major Balkan city to endure Ottoman onslaughts, when it joined the Catholic Kingdom of Hungary. Serbs, Hungarians and European crusaders heavily defeated the Turkish in the Siege of Belgrade of 1456. Several Serbian despots ruled in parts of Vojvodina as vassals of the Hungarian kings with the title of Hungarian barons. After repelling Ottoman attacks for over 70 years, Belgrade finally fell in 1521, along with the greater part of the Kingdom of Hungary. Forceful conversion to Islam became imminent, especially in the southwest (Raška, Kosovo and Bosnia). More to the south, the Republic of Venice grew stronger in importance, gradually taking over the coastal areas.

Serbian military tactics consisted of wedge shaped heavy cavalry attacks with horse archers on the flanks. Many foreign mercenaries were in the Serbian army. Mostly Germans as cavalry and Spaniards as infantry were mercenaries.The main strength of the Serbian army was the armoured knight feared for their ferocious charge.Intesive introduction of fire arms came under rule of Stefan Lazarević.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia#Medieval_Serb_kingdoms_and_the_Serbian_Empire
You can find coat of arms here and come up with a flag if you want.
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 04 May 2009 01:40 EDT (US)     18 / 33       
So the Serbian army operated in similar way as Poland. Interesting, it gave me an idea.

Michael Jackson
Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 04 May 2009 18:19 EDT (US)     19 / 33       
Uh oh, el_bandito's ideas are deadly. Everybody run!
So, whats the idea? Rip off Poland?

Xishko
Legionary
posted 04 May 2009 19:39 EDT (US)     20 / 33       
Mix of Serbian Knights and Polish Retainers=Dushan's Guard
Their army also had a large number of troops had maces and axes.How ever halberd wasnt used till late period.
If I find out more will post here

P.S We had also had mounted archers which were pretty good.
We picked up our horse riding skills from The Huns and Avars that came to the Pannonian plain

[This message has been edited by Xishko (edited 05-04-2009 @ 07:42 PM).]

vampiric canniba
Legionary
posted 05 May 2009 01:05 EDT (US)     21 / 33       
I would create my own mod,but i have no experience in that arena what-so-ever.

Xishko
Legionary
posted 05 May 2009 12:54 EDT (US)     22 / 33       
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=140990
A nice topic on Serbian Tsardom.
It has units already made so maybe you dont have to go trough all the trouble in making them if you can talk to the TTW team and get them from them
vampiric canniba
Legionary
posted 25 July 2009 04:07 EDT (US)     23 / 33       
So... Any news of a release date?

Kharapkhael
Legionary
posted 26 July 2009 15:39 EDT (US)     24 / 33       
I just got on this site, but I saw this mod thought it was awesome, so I'd love to help you guys with units and stuff.

One idea I have is Kosovar Swordsmen. After all, Serbs and Kosovars fought the Ottomans together; why not have Kosovars as a real unit? They could be kind of like barbarian swordsmen from RTW, except with better armor.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 26 July 2009 16:34 EDT (US)     25 / 33       
Lovely I must get tinkering on the files again- I love doing that kind of thing.

Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 26 July 2009 18:59 EDT (US)     26 / 33       
The plan to release it as it's own independent mod complicated matters before any real work could be done.

What we need is a free file hosting website that would allow for at least 1.5-5 GB worth of storage we can use, so we can share the files between the 3 of us. After that, we can get started. Or, I'm just out of the loop.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 27 July 2009 06:22 EDT (US)     27 / 33       
Filefront should work on that front. Try zipping as well?

matt will
Legionary
posted 27 July 2009 07:31 EDT (US)     28 / 33       
You can put files into .rar and then zip it to save even more room.

My Gondor hotseat campaign. Please Help!

Under the White Tree A Gondor short story on the fall of Minas Tirith.
Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 27 July 2009 17:45 EDT (US)     29 / 33       
*Facepalm*

One incredibly stupid thing was overlooked. I'm gonna contact el_bandito soon, we have a Filefront account to share among us already, but an error in calculating the file-size was made.

Soon, I hope we'll get started.

k_Apollo
Legionary
posted 12 September 2009 04:43 EDT (US)     30 / 33       
Well, is there coming a v4?
Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 12 September 2009 13:16 EDT (US)     31 / 33       
A couple of weeks ago, bandito told me he was working on the Battle AI. When that's all done, he should post the mod on Filefront, so I can recieve the files and begin modding. Hopefully.

Maybe, then, we could also have a small Alpha release.

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 12 September 2009 14:42 EDT (US)     32 / 33       
I like the idea of a Serbia faction, but I have another idea that could make this mod even better. Yes, the game does allow for 31 factions including rebels, but the campaign selection limits that to 21, but there is a way around this limit. I cooked up a file for Cross and Crescent: Total War that allows you to have all 31 factions in both campaign and custom battle selection screens. If you're interested, I'd be more than happy to share it with you.

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
Glacier_Girl
Legionary
posted 12 September 2009 19:31 EDT (US)     33 / 33       
That would be delightful. Would you send me an email showing how to utilize it, please? Then I can tell bandito.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames