You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Additional Unit Pack

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Additional Unit Pack » Your Favourite?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Your Favourite?
Sconderix
Legionary
posted 09 March 2009 04:03 EDT (US)         
This is for Andalus. While creating these impressive units what unit did you like the most? And why?

If people must they can say what units they loved as well...
AuthorReplies:
Andalus
Legionary
posted 09 March 2009 12:37 EDT (US)     1 / 13       
From the original release, I'd probably say Persian Archers or Poeni Legionaries. The former because they are a flexible unit that is a great support to Parthian armies, the latter because I don't like using phalanxes.

From the as-yet unreleased 1.2, I would have to go with Noble Spearmen and Noble Cataphracts, partly because they look so damn fine, and they really open up a new area of gameplay for Scythia, allowing for a more heavy approach to attack. King's Companions are also good looking and effective, not to mention I like Egypt anyway. Druidic Spearmen and Desert Raiders are a couple more of my favourites.

Some of them I just like because of the time I spent on the texture, and that work being worthwhile.
Imperator Romano
Legionary
posted 09 March 2009 21:29 EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Do you perhaps have any unit previews from the 1.2 version that you're working on?

BTW, those hypaspists are narly.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 10 March 2009 16:35 EDT (US)     3 / 13       
Narly? Presumably that is US slang, and hopefully a good thing.

From left to right: Druidic Spearmen, Noble Spearmen, Noble Cataphracts, Desert Raiders, King's Companions, Servants of Sekhmet.

Slavers are a perfect example of units I like because of the work spent on the texture. I successfully removed the annoying white stripe across the face, with next to no scarring. I'm proud of that. The shield took a while too.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 03-10-2009 @ 04:38 PM).]

Imperator Romano
Legionary
posted 11 March 2009 12:55 EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Yeah, narly is like saying cool here in the U.S.

Those units look amazing! or narly Loving the Druidic and Noble Spearmen. What faction(s) would be able to recruit the Slavers? I'm guessing Numidia or Carthage? They look like African warriors so they could be mercenaries as well, I've always been frustrated with the lack of infantry mercenaries in Africa.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 11 March 2009 14:08 EDT (US)     5 / 13       
They are primarily a mercenary unit available in North Africa (Hence the green), but will also pop up in some Rebel armies. Now you mention it, though, I might make them recruitable by Numidia and Carthage in African provinces.

In terms of African mercenaries, there will also be Nubian Archers, Nubian Cavalry, and Libyan Spearmen.
Imperator Romano
Legionary
posted 11 March 2009 14:21 EDT (US)     6 / 13       
Now you mention it, though, I might make them recruitable by Numidia and Carthage in African provinces.
Wouldn't it be just better if they stay as mercenaries though? Since Numidia and Carthage are already in Africa they just can pick 'em when they're available. Slavers don't strike me as units that you can train in cities but more as guys that will rather fight if you pay them as mercenaries. After all, they need the money to buy those big expensive earings they got there.
Slavers are a perfect example of units I like because of the work spent on the texture. I successfully removed the annoying white stripe across the face, with next to no scarring. I'm proud of that. The shield took a while too.
I think it would be cool to see some facial paiting, not enough to cover the entire face but back in the day it was a common pre-battle ritual to paint your face, especially by African tribes but that was perhaps in southern African rather than northern. Just a thought.

Shield looks really nice BTW. Reminds me of this:

[JPEG, (218.85 KB)]
Sconderix
Legionary
posted 21 March 2009 00:40 EDT (US)     7 / 13       
By the way Andalus, if I was too copy some of your AUP Units and put it into my original total war, would it work?
Andalus
Legionary
posted 21 March 2009 09:00 EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I think it would be cool to see some facial paiting, not enough to cover the entire face but back in the day it was a common pre-battle ritual to paint your face,
Indeed, but that stripe across the face just looked silly, and it was annoying that it had to be on all black units. That is why I removed it, and for the Ethiopian Cavalry and Footmen I actually created a new skin based on the Egyptian skin, which took a long time to tweak to get the right shade. As for adding my own face paint, I am not sure I want to be delving into that just yet.

The shield was originally based on this one by the way.
By the way Andalus, if I was too copy some of your AUP Units and put it into my original total war, would it work?
Yes.
Sconderix
Legionary
posted 21 March 2009 17:06 EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Wooo! Because I tried making a new unit with a cavalry unit and edited it to take off the mount, but when I went onto the battle they didn't have legs. 0.o
Andalus
Legionary
posted 21 March 2009 18:07 EDT (US)     10 / 13       
That's because they're still using a cavalry skeleton. Find the entry in descr_model_battle and change it to an infantry one (eg fs_spearman instead of fs_hc_spearman).
Sconderix
Legionary
posted 21 March 2009 18:37 EDT (US)     11 / 13       
Do you realize how much you helped me?
Andalus
Legionary
posted 23 March 2009 23:33 EDT (US)     12 / 13       
Yes. That was one of the first problems I had when I originally started modding, so I am just glad to assist someone in the same position.
Sconderix
Legionary
posted 24 March 2009 00:20 EDT (US)     13 / 13       
WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Now I can make loads of new foot troops to make my armies unfair. OOooooo I feel like a kid in a candy shop
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames