Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » February Poll
Bottom
Topic Subject:February Poll
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 08 February 2015 04:48 EDT (US)         
I find the results of this month's poll passing strange so far.

The poll question, a follow of last iteration's "What profession would you want to have in Ancient Rome", is this time "What profession in Ancient Rome would you like your wife to have?"

One has replied Priestess- a good choice, in my opinion. Priestesses were valued, though not many. In fact, they were pretty much limited to Bone Dea and a few other cults. But they were respected.

Same for poets.

Housewives were also a good chunk of the society. One did not need to be rich or noble to run a household as if the Goddess Come to Earth. Materfamilias ran the house, no matter what paterfamilias thought or tried.

One has wanted his wife to be a prostitute. Okay. Lots of good sex there I imagine.

But, for the life of the gods, can someone explain why the leading choice for an answer is "Vestal Virgin"? Have we evolved so far that we no longer like sex? Or is it that we are so lazy that we could do without for forty years until they retire- earning that handsome bonus too, by the way, and thereafter we do not have to worry about children taking over our computers and tablets to make them their own?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
AuthorReplies:
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 08 February 2015 11:56 EDT (US)     1 / 10       
I voted for courtier. Since I picked soldier for the last poll, I think it would be pretty helpful having a wife capable of navigating and deftly handling the labyrinths of politics and intrigue while I rose higher in the cursus honorum.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Alex_the_Bold
Legionary
posted 08 February 2015 17:14 EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Indeed having a Vestal Virgin as a wife is strange...
Perhaps one should marry a former Vestal Virgin after her retirement (and the reception of the bonus ).

However, I find prostitute as a peculiar choice, too. I mean, selling your wife for money? Nothing more embarassing to a respectable Roman citizen...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 08 February 2015 23:14 EDT (US)     3 / 10       
As for the Vestal Virgin response, i presume it would have something to do with the status of the position more than anything. But i am not sure getting killed if you stuff up and 'christen' the marriage is worth it.

I went with Artist, because my gf is one of the best artists i have seen, and it just feels right. Why not have a historian married to an artist?

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09 February 2015 07:31 EDT (US)     4 / 10       
I still find it passing strange.

The penalty for nookie with a serving Vestal was death- her by being buried alive, him by being whipped to death in the Forum Boarium (pig's market).

After serving their term, Vestals were released from the oaths and penalties, but it was frowned upon to let them marry.

So, in choosing this profession for one's wife, one is choosing celibacy for thirty years, followed by being a social outcast for the rest of one's life.

Like I said, a passing strange choice.

(by the way- it was not me)

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Alex_the_Bold
Legionary
posted 09 February 2015 08:23 EDT (US)     5 / 10       
I chose courtier... Why climbing up the cursus honorum alone?

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Jax
HG Monument
(id: Jax Omen)
posted 09 February 2015 20:50 EDT (US)     6 / 10       
marry VV, sleep with other people. problem solved

house won this
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 10 February 2015 14:17 EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Domestic slave eh. *dark chuckle*

I'm not much of a fan of this poll, I'm not sure it's a progressive way to encourage whatever young denizens we have left to think about women's roles... I should certainly like a range of historically inaccurate (but much more fun) options. Above all however I note the lack of "empress".

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 February 2015 05:13 EDT (US)     8 / 10       
Empresses changed quite often. The flavor of the month, so to speak. As such, they were merely glorified courtiers. A few did have real power, though, but not enough to create a class for.

You may feel free to suggest a new poll for April.

Jax
HG Monument
(id: Jax Omen)
posted 11 February 2015 05:56 EDT (US)     9 / 10       
I didnt even realise people still replied to the polls

house won this
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 February 2015 11:51 EDT (US)     10 / 10       
They do when the polls change every other month, hopefully with interesting questions.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames