Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Terikel Returns From Roma
Bottom
Topic Subject:Terikel Returns From Roma
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 17 May 2015 05:39 EDT (US)         
So, I have been away for a while.

I made a pilgrimage to Rome. My father had told me much of the place- how rich it was, how it was coated in marble, and how much fun it was to plunder the place, though Alaric did tell him not to be excessive. He described the place in all its glory. I expected this:

I visited the place with Robert de Guiscard back in 1084. We trashed the place then, too, but only of moveable things. So I remembered the look of the city, and drew these to remind me.

Now it was time to visit again. Every thousand years or so, I like to relive my youth. It helps keep me young at heart. I was only three hundred when I fought alongside Robert. So imagine my surprise when I finally wriggle my long legs and massive chest through the tiny porthole of that flying contraption and get my ass down to the forum- where the party never dies- and find this:

What the hell have they done to this wonderful city? It used to be such a fun place, now there are churches popping up everywhere. And where did they get the money to build all these churches and decorate them with marble? They are too cheap to buy new stuff, I can tell you that.

Over to the Imperial Palace, and I find this:

That’s where they got their stuff. They plundered my hangouts!

The temples on the Capitoline were always a wonderful source of cash and art. I remember the place fondly.

That Temple of Jupiter was a treasure trove par excellence. Now we have this:

Some guy named Marcus Aurelius on a horse. Wait, I think I remember hearing about him somewhere. I heard he was a pretty good chap, but his son made berserkers look normal.

How about racing? I remember the Circus Maximus. I once lost two slave-girls losing a bet there, but won the three virgin daughters of a nobleman who bet poorly on the next race, so that made it okay.

Do I find chariot races and such? No. I find this:

So, I am getting a bit down. Time to cheer up watching a bloody fight or five. Gladiators risking their lives for pleasure of the crowds- what a noble self-sacrifice! I do admire those guys for their devotion to public entertainment. Plus sometimes I can pick up a pointer on swordwork. It happens a time or two. So, I went over to the Flavian Amphitheatre. Do I find this?

No, this:

They even stole the seats! Bloody thieves. It was not we Vikings that did this.

And to make matters worse, the old temples were torn down. The place was overrun with churches.

Even the Tullanium- the local prison where I once spent a few nights after losing a bout with an amphora of wine, has a church built on top of it. At first I was embarrassed- I did not think my drinking bout the stuff of legend. Then I found out they built the church because some guy named Petrus bumped his head when he was thrown in here too. They even enshrined the stone where he bumped his head.

Anyway, despite what the Italians did to the place, this was still the best trip I have had in the last thousand or so years.

I am now at home, safe and ready to resume my duties of lording it over the heavens.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 05-17-2015 @ 05:48 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 17 May 2015 12:28 EDT (US)     1 / 15       
Beautiful pictures Terikel and it's great to hear you enjoyed your trip despite the post-pillaging condition of the eternal city Rome, and really the Mediterranean in general, is definitely one of the top places I have to visit before I die or become too infirm for international travel.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 17 May 2015 20:12 EDT (US)     2 / 15       
Wow! Roma is one of the top places on my list when i eventually make it to Europa. However, to see it at its height would be the most amazing experience.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Pitt
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 19 May 2015 06:27 EDT (US)     3 / 15       
Literally the first question that sprang to mind after reading the thread title was "Is it still standing?"

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 19 May 2015 07:21 EDT (US)     4 / 15       
Mostly not- but that was done long before this trip.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Pitt
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 20 May 2015 08:58 EDT (US)     5 / 15       
Ah, the old "It was like that when I got there" defence.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 20 May 2015 11:10 EDT (US)     6 / 15       
Roma had not quite restocked her stores of riches after the last time a fearsome Norseman came a calling.
Civis Romanus
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 20 May 2015 21:45 EDT (US)     7 / 15       
Great pictures, TG!

I wish we had more time to do it when Mrs. Civis and I were there, but we could not enter the Coliseum and had to settle for a walk around its exterior only. However, we were able to have dinner in a bistro right across the street and as we dined we watched the sun set and the Coliseum become illuminated for the night. This was one of the highlights of our couple of days in Roma.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 22 May 2015 03:03 EDT (US)     8 / 15       
Thanks for the praise, all. It encourages me to post more pics of the Eternal City.

Maybe soon...

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 04 July 2015 14:05 EDT (US)     9 / 15       
Did you get to see the modern monstrosity they call "the typewriter"?

What really impressed me about the Forum was just how compact it is and how many important historical buildings are pretty much sitting on top of each other.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 05 July 2015 04:51 EDT (US)     10 / 15       
I stayed away from most modern things. The only thing I saw that compared to a typewriter was the innards of the Colosseum once the vandals had ripped out the seating. That reminded me of an old-fashioned typewriter array where the letters rested before one touches a key. A shame, that- the place was once a roaring theatre capable of holding like sixty thousand blood-thirsty visitors. Now it can barely hold a thousand, and those being without seats...

Nice observation about the compactness. I had not given it much thought. The buildings served vital functions in the (to the Romans) greatest city in the world, and thus should be close by the city center. Where better than in the Forum, the heart of the ancient city? Practical, and logical.

Now that you mentioned it, it did stand out.

I did find it rather convenient that the Forum was crunched together in the valley between the Capitoline, Palatine, Caelian, and Aventine, making a very short walk to do one's business in the day. The Romans thought of everything, eh? Sort of like a modern day shopping mall- it had everything you could possibly need- food, business, temples, courts, brothels...

I did find it odd that the Roman Forum was elongated and had rows of buildings (now ruins) along either side, making the open area (what we associated with the word Forum) long and narrow- and then they put the Temple to Julius Caesar right in the middle of that, where he was burned. That sort of blocked the whole thing, eh? That I found out of character for the Romani.

But I am glad you enjoyed the city as much as I did.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 07-08-2015 @ 03:11 AM).]

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 07 July 2015 16:54 EDT (US)     11 / 15       
The typewriter btw

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08 July 2015 03:24 EDT (US)     12 / 15       
Oh, that thing!

Well, to be honest, I did visit it, but only because it was on the Capitoline Hill which I did want to visit. Mrs Grayhair and I walked past it on our way to Sulla's Tabularium (now the Capitoline Museum) behind it, where there was also a contemporary (to him) bronze statue of Marcus Aurelius riding a horse that had been hidden away for ages by the Popes.

A lot of gods and people were pissed about building that thing- a lot of the old temples and other important public building ruins went under the foundations of that thing. Where do the Romans imbue the power of law into their bronze tablets if they can no longer store them overnight in the cellar of the temples there, or mint their coins in the cellar of the Temple of Juno Moneta?

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 11 July 2015 03:53 EDT (US)     13 / 15       
Is that the wedding cake you're on about?
While I agree it's a bit crap, it has the best views of Rome, even better than the Vatican.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 July 2015 04:11 EDT (US)     14 / 15       
Of course it does! It is on the Capitoline, after all.

The views of the suburbs I do not care for (to me, Rome exists only within the pomerium. All else is Roman territory...)

Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 11 July 2015 06:24 EDT (US)     15 / 15       
Nah, there's many views that are just as good or even better, for example that from the wonderful garden of the Santa Sabina monastery on the Aventine (the church of which also has some of the oldest surviving Christian frescoes in Rome). The Vittoriano has quite a good view but the place is rather unpleasant (and when I was there the sun was shining so brightly you could probably have blinded yourself on its reflection on the white marble) so that I much preferred to take in the view on the other side of the Capitol, on the Piazzale Caffarelli (or on the rooftop bar of the Capitoline Museums).
where there was also a contemporary (to him) bronze statue of Marcus Aurelius riding a horse that had been hidden away for ages by the Popes.
Actually, the statue was given a place in medieval Rome that was about as prominent as it was possible to get: right in front of the Lateran, a church every pilgrim to Rome would have visited and for most of the middle ages the principal residence of the popes (and it certainly would not have stood there had the popes not appreciated it). It was even given a new and decorated base around 1200. At the time many thought the statue depicted Constantine and so it formed a natural cornerstone in papal pretensions to worldly power (see also the amazing murals in the Santi Quattro Coronati). However, already in the middle ages it was known that the statue wasn't really Constantine on display (opinions varied on who it was, check some of the medieval 'Mirabilia Urbis Romae' tour guides that have survived for the various theories).

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames