You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

RTW Guides and Articles Forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » RTW Guides and Articles Forum » Rome Total War. Brutii Guide
Bottom
Topic Subject:Rome Total War. Brutii Guide
KingofRome
Legionary
posted 09 October 2011 23:41 EDT (US)         
Welcome to the Opening Moves Guide for the House of Brutii.

Some Tips:
* As a Sea trade faction a majority of your income will be through sea trade, so try to build up your ports quickly. This same advice applies to the Scipii as well, should you decide to play them one day.

* Build sewers and health care buildings as soon as possible. These help stave off the effects of the Plague. Plague and other epidemics can ruin your campaign if you are not adequately prepared or forget to quarantine the infested cities. It ruined one of my Julii campaigns, so I know from painful experience the hassle it can present.

* Do not EVER auto resolve a battle unless you are sure that you will win. By sure, I mean 100 percent sure. Chariots and a few other units you do not have will have massive bonuses on auto-resolve, so be careful.

* Build up your economy before making a HUGE conquering army.

Lets begin.

Turn#1

First off, build a shrine to whatever god you want. I normally choose Mercury as temples to Mercury increase Public order and tradable goods.

Join your two armies together and put them in the ship. Add the diplomat and your spy to the fleet. Sail them all over to Apollonia.

As the Brutii, the majority of your income will be through sea trade, so build a port in Croton and a shipwright in your capital of Tarentum. These will give you a small income at the start of the game. Queue up a trader in both cities as well.

That concludes your first turn.

Turn#2

Send your diplomat to Macedonia to get trade rights and maybe Allies. You will want them to help you destroy the Greeks- it will make killing them much easier.

Send your spy to Thermon.

In Croton and your capital you will want to recruit some equites and two units of hastati. If you cannot recruit hastati, two units of Town Watch will suffice

Now for the attack on Apollonia. It should be very easy. I normally get my velites and hastati to hurl pila, then I move my hastati up to attack the militia hoplites. By then the enemies' velites will be moving up and showering my hastati with javelins (not much of an attack I know, but I do not like losing too many men- especially at the start of the game). I move my cavalry to the left side of the city (left when you are facing forward from your starting position) and behind the velites. By then they may or may not be continuing their javelin barrage, but even so I run them down and then finish off the Militia Hoplites.

Now on the Campaign map, occupy the Settlement. Do not enslave it because again there isn't enough populace to be any use to you.

Now build a Governor's house if it does not already have one.

Move your spy into Thermon. There will likely be a General and some armored hoplites there. That is what normally awaits me when my spy enters the town. If no general is present, a captain in a unit of armored hoplites awaits. This battle will quickly be over, but you might want to wait a turn to bring over a reinforcing hastati or two from Croton and Tarentum.

Turn#3

Your government house is up. You are ready to start building some stuff and developing the town. I find this order handy:
*Shrine. (Public order buildings)
*Port. (Income buildings)
*Barracks (Military buildings)

Send a small force up north to Salona. This one I always fight on the battlefield. I made a big mistake when I played the Brutii for the first time and sent one general and one hastati. You will need two hastati at least, and some good advice would be to recruit a band or two of mercenary hoplites. I just go with the flow for this one. I counter the enemies moves and I get victory with minimal losses. Just remember to KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ENEMY. They can be tricky. Do not ignore the rest of the battlefield though- you can get the most out of your forces by coordinating your forces strengths agains tthe enmy's weaknesses. Even the smallest force with a good plan can defeat the mightiest of foes.

Do Not forget keep sending your diplomat Up North to get to Macedonia. If you reached it already GEAT job try get yourself trade rights and an Alliance.

Turn#4

Ok Keep moving your diplomat by now you would hopefully have reached contact with Macedonia if so you should have trade and a Alliance as well as Map information is best. If no Alliance then don't fret you will still conquer Greece. Ok Macedonia is past keep moving your diplomat North to get contact with Dacia,Thrace and all the other factions up there for those just get trade rights and Map information as your gonna be moving on up there soon.

Ok Salona is yours rejoice as you have another City in your hands . Ok now onto the real stuff. Salona is yours again follow the building formula. retrain your soldiers if you can.

.Happiness buildings (Shrines,sewers)

.Income buildings (ports,traders)

Military buildings (Barracks,Archery Range,Stables)

I dont really have a 'Specific' build id focus on just do what you think is best at that time. But I follow that formula until I have a steady income,people are happy and a good amount of soldiers but anyway this is about the opening moves. Ok You have some soldiers from the other turns Gather your two hastati and equites from your capital and Croton they have some defending units there anyway so you wont be needing them. Put them on a ship. If you cant move Crotons forces to the boat then move it as far as you can to it and wait another turn. add a town watch or Hastati preferable to Apollonia As In the next Turn were gonna attack Thermon!!!!!

Turn#5.

I Can feel the excitement as you get ready to attack Thermon and expand your lands it is a big thing!!!!

Ok Move your army from Apollonia With your general adjust the tax rate as required and set off for Thermon!!!!!
Move your forces from Croton into your fleet and then set your ships sail for Thermon.
Besiege Thermon.

Keep moving your diplomat up North.

End of Turn 5

What to do from here?

.Ok well Thermon is yours your at war with the Greek city states. Congratulations. Keep building up as the formula suggests.

. Conquer Greece and From then on out its up to you to make or break.....Rome

I Came I Saw I Conquered.
I am Julius Caesar I am Emperor and King of Rome.

[This message has been edited by KingofRome (edited 02-17-2012 @ 05:20 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 13 October 2011 08:09 EDT (US)     1 / 14       
Ok, I have noticed a lot of mistakes e.g. "Apoliano" is spelled wrong. Also your guide is just too short. It should at least contain 6 moves.
Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 13 October 2011 16:34 EDT (US)     2 / 14       
You need to start paying attention in posts dude. Spelling Hastati, Velites, and pila wrong throughout the entire guide is not good. Also, that town you were talking about, its called Salona.

Also, you can't recruit mercenary armored hoplites. Its just regular mercenary hoplites.

Make sure you put both the apostrophe and the "t" in don't; I saw at least two that need fixing. In addition, as MusCypricus said, you spelled Apollonia wrong. And in the first sentence, don't capitalize the "M" in my and you didn't put the "y" in the second "My" at all.
Hey This is My Brutii guide I said I may be doing in M Julii Guide if it went well.
You can see in this quote that you're capitalizing too many words. Only capitalize important stuff, like something that's in the game.

I would say that your guide should also cover a bit more dude, as you do a good job of giving information, but there just needs to be a bit more of it than there is.

Death is a (vastly) preferable alternative to communism.
"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel

[This message has been edited by Agrippa 271 (edited 10-13-2011 @ 04:35 PM).]

KingofRome
Legionary
posted 13 October 2011 17:01 EDT (US)     3 / 14       
I know and im sorry I just havent had time to fix it all.

I Have never been good at Spelling punctuation and all that.

[This message has been edited by KingofRome (edited 10-13-2011 @ 05:03 PM).]

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 13 October 2011 17:20 EDT (US)     4 / 14       
There is a pretty good site for grammar and punctuation here.
Spelling stuff wrong is ok but punctuation and grammar are crucial.

Death is a (vastly) preferable alternative to communism.
"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel

[This message has been edited by Agrippa 271 (edited 10-13-2011 @ 05:23 PM).]

MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 13 October 2011 19:06 EDT (US)     5 / 14       
Also, try using more "official" language. For example: instead
of saying "train ships" say "train a unit of bireme".
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 14 October 2011 15:01 EDT (US)     6 / 14       
Fixed some formatting, spelling, and grammar for you. here's a draft:

Welcome to the Opening Moves Guide for the House of Brutii.

Some Tips:
* As a Sea trade faction a majority of your income will be through sea trade, so try to build up your ports quickly. This same advice applies to the Scipii as well, should you decide to play them one day.

* Build sewers and health care buildings as soon as possible. These help stave off the effects of the Plague. Plague and other epidemics can ruin your campaign if you are not adequately prepared or forget to quarantine the infested cities. It ruined one of my Julii campaigns, so I know from painful experience the hassle it can present.

* Do not EVER auto resolve a battle unless you are sure that you will win. By sure, I mean 100 percent sure. Chariots and a few other units you do not have will hvae massive bonuses on auto-resolve, so be careful.

* Build up your economy before making a HUGE conquering army.

Lets begin.

Turn#1

First off, build a shrine to whatever god you want. I normally choose Mercury as temples to Mercury increase Public order and tradable goods.

Join your two armies together and put them in the boat. Add the diplomat and your spy to the fleet. Sail them all over to Apollonia.

As the Brutii, the majority of your income will be through sea trade, so build a port in Croton and a shipwright in your capital of Tarentum. These will give you a small income at the start of the game. Queue up a trader in both cities as well.

That concludes your first turn.

Turn#2

Send your diplomat to Macedonia to get trade rights and maybe Allies. You will want them to help you destroy the Greeks- it will make killing them much easier.

Send your spy to Thermon.

In Croton and your capital you will want to recruit some equites and two units of hastati. If you cannot recruit hastati, two units of Town Watch will suffice

Now for the attack on Apollonia. It should be very easy. I normally get my velites and hastati to hurl pila, then I move my hastati up to attack the militia hoplites. By then the enemies' velites will be moving up and showering my hastati with javelins (not much of an attack I know, but I do not like losing too many men- especially at the start of the game). I move my cavalry to the left side of the city (left when you are facing forward from your starting position) and behind the velites. By then they may or may not be continuing their javelin barrage, but even so I run them down and then finish off the Militia Hoplites.

Now on the Campaign map, occupy the Settlement. Do not enslave it because again there isn't enough populace to be any use to you.

Now build a Governor's house if it does not already have one.

Move your spy into Thermon. There will likely be a General and some armored hoplites there. That is what normally awaits me when my spy enters the town. If no general is present, a captain in a unit of armored hoplites awaits. This battle will quickly be over, but you might want to wait a turn to bring over a reinforcing hastati or two from Croton and Tarentum.

Turn#3

Your government house is up. You are ready to start building some stuff and developing the town. I find this order handy:
*Shrine.
*Port.
*Barracks

Send a small force up north to Salona. This one I always fight on the battlefield. I made a big mistake when I played the Brutii for the first time and sent one general and one hastati. You will need two hastati at least, and some good advice would be to recruit a band or two of mercenary hoplites. I just go with the flow for this one. I counter the enemies moves and I get victory with minimal losses. Just remember to KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ENEMY. They can be tricky. Do not ignore the rest of the battlefield though- you can get the most out of your forces by coordinating your forces strengths agains tthe enmy's weaknesses. Even the smallest force with a good plan can defeat the mightiest of foes.

For an opening moves guide, we prefer around ten moves, tested one hard and very hard. We also prefer not to have too much rewriting and editing to do.

This was a fair try for a first timer. I was a bit shaken at the grammar and spelling, but appalled at the many parentheses used to say (I forgot this) and (I forgot that). If you want this to make it to the Main Site, we demand quality. Quality means you back back and check what you forgot and fill it in, not force others to do it for you.

This is still very rough, but it has potential. I formatted it a bit for you so you can see the difference. The words are mostly your own- I touched up the grammar and spelling.

Keep working on this. For further advice, I would direct you to the Opening Moves Guides we already have. There you can see the proper formatting and details we require, and match them into your own.

Good luck, royal KingofRome. I look forward to seeing your continued progress on this.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 14 October 2011 15:58 EDT (US)     7 / 14       
KingOfRome, do continue working on your opening moves guide for it is always good to have two guides for a faction.
KingofRome
Legionary
posted 14 October 2011 17:27 EDT (US)     8 / 14       
Thank You SO Much for editing it and making it better thanks .

Thanks MyCyprus I will Continue on it.

MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 15 October 2011 16:08 EDT (US)     9 / 14       
Oh yes, think of making Armenia or Scythia guide after you have finished with your Julii and Brutii guide.
KingofRome
Legionary
posted 10 February 2012 21:21 EDT (US)     10 / 14       
Will do and now im back im gonna be adding quite a bit more onto both I havent finished either cause i have been away. ((((

KingofRome
Legionary
posted 17 February 2012 17:21 EDT (US)     11 / 14       
Ok I have made some changes its reasonable and I ask if it can be considered for the 2 day rule.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 01 March 2012 01:53 EDT (US)     12 / 14       
Pics would be nice.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
KingofRome
Legionary
posted 03 March 2012 23:36 EDT (US)     13 / 14       
Good Point. Though My Comp or at least he comp that has RTW is a resnable bad computer. And just has enough space to run RTWG without to much lag. But when I had fraps To put pics and vids up My Comp ran terrible and crashed a HUGE amount. So Im upgrading it. Then will have pics.

EDIT. ok who cares ill get some pics up Although dont kow how to get them to 'here'

[This message has been edited by KingofRome (edited 03-03-2012 @ 11:38 PM).]

godking
Legionary
posted 22 January 2014 14:12 EDT (US)     14 / 14       
Turn 1#

Build a trader in each of your cities and build a shrine to mars in each of your cities.

Combine your two standing armies + spy and dimplomat and board your ship. Train two town watch units

Turn 2#

Sail to Athens train a ship

Turn 3#
Start besieging Athens

use the troops you trained at your settlements to besiege appolonia.

Turn 4#

After taking Athens get a trade agreement with Macedon

Build up your army

Turn 5---> make plans to take sparta. make sure you have enough men in Athens to last through a siege.

After taking sparta move on corinth with sparta corinth and appolonia taken take the macedonian cities one by one and finally take Thermon with every city on the grek peninsula taken your money problems are over and you can start building up your armies to invade the middle east.

-------> after the conquest of the greek peninsula

When your armies and fleets are built up land an invasion freet and take the rebel held settlement near the Pontus faction or if it has been taken either the greeek city or one of the pontic cities Do nof fight the pontic armies on the fields unless you have no choice their large cavalry armies make them dangerous take the pontic cities one by one while retaining good realations ships with the egyptians.

Once the pontic cities are taken you will have to takee one the egyptians succesfully beating the egyptians should leave you with about 30 settlements minimium make plans to either take on the parthians and the armenians or Thrace.

You should have near unlimited funds to prosecute your war by this point.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames