Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » RTW Guides and Articles Forum » City Profiles
Bottom
Topic Subject:City Profiles
Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 15 October 2015 19:08 EDT (US)         
Now that I have finally finished the Campaign/Faction Comparison which, by the way, took me ages, due to a lot of work, a lot of time and, I may be ashamed to admit, a fair amount of procrastination.

So now I'm finished, I'm looking at a new series of planned articles.
They are histories of cities and NOT of factions. When I say Sparta, I mean the city and not necessarily the Rome 2 Faction, although the two are basically the same.
The cities I am planning to write about are:

Rome: Eternal City of the Romans
Jerusalem: Holy City of Palestine
Byzantium: City of the World's Desire
Carthage: City of the Seafarers
Athens: Birthplace of Democracy
Sparta: Warrior City of the Greeks
Londinium: City of Unique Food
Alexandria: City of the Lighthouse
Syracuse: Learned City of Sicily
Patavium: Learned City of Italy
Mediolanum: City of Italian Fashion
Camulodunum: Oldest City of Britain
Noviomagus: Hill of the Romans/Huns

I am open to suggestions for other cities.
The criteria for cities are:
They need to be 'famous'.
They need to exist today.
They need to be on the campaign map.

I was thinking about doing Lutetia aka Paris but since it is not on the RTW Campaign Map I am having my doubts.

Thanks,
Mons Badonicus

Papers, please.

[This message has been edited by Mons Badonicus (edited 10-18-2015 @ 03:08 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 16 October 2015 05:32 EDT (US)     1 / 4       
Batavodurum- still exists as the oldest city in the Netherlands (Nijmegen). Famous for the Batavian Revolt of 69 AD.

Palmyra would be cool- its ruin still exist, but are dwindling as those assholes from IS blow shit up.

Antioch was hugely famous in the past and during the Crusades, though an earthquake back when I was young pretty much wrecked the place and turned it into a modern-day village.

Padua (Patavium) is still around, and Mediolanium ( Milan) is hugely thriving.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 17 October 2015 03:11 EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Ave

Yeah, I really like Palmyra, I think it's cool, and Zenobia is one of my favourite leading female figures (up there with Boudicca) but since it's ruined now (partly due to IS), I don't think it would be a good choice.

I just can't seem to find info on Batavorum but I have included Mediolanum and Patavium.

Papers, please.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 17 October 2015 06:17 EDT (US)     3 / 4       
Batavodurum was also known as Noviomagus.

Read up on the aftermath of the Batavian Revolt. The main settlement (civitas) of the Batavians was batavodurum, and moved about a mile downstream to a rather indefensible location and a legion was housed in a castrum above it. The legion's quarters gave rise to a civilian settlement nearby- which was called Noviomagus, but the locals still referred to the place as Batavodurum. Both locations are now found under the modern city of Nijmegen.

Curiously, the legions left in the fifth century after nearly four hundred years occupation of the site. The Huns swept through on their way to their unexpected defeat at the hands of Aetius and his allies, and camped one night in the old Roman fort. That fort's hill is called Huneberg today- The Hill of the Huns. Four hundred years it was the Roman Hill, and in one night the name changes forever.... Pitiful.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-17-2015 @ 06:22 AM).]

Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 18 October 2015 14:56 EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Thanks for the info. Will get started on Rome.

Papers, please.

[This message has been edited by Mons Badonicus (edited 10-18-2015 @ 02:56 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames