You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Dark Ages: Roman Revival
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.31 replies, Sticky
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » The Agenda - Please Read this First
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Agenda - Please Read this First
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 11 September 2010 11:26 EDT (US)         
All right, so we're trying to keep clutter to a minimum and organization to a maximum here. So with that in mind, we're probably going to be limiting the number of active discussion threads at a time. Any currently active discussion threads will be stickied. We're going to try to limit our discussions to two faction threads and one "modding" thread. This way, we can focus more on a particular topic. This thread will serve as the agenda, listing which threads will appear in the forum and when. Threads will be crossed off as they are completed and are removed from the active discussion. Please also use this thread to comment on the official agenda and on the order of threads in it. If you want to see a particular thread moved higher up on the list, or if you think that we're missing a discussion on something, then please post here. The agenda will be kept current as threads are added and closed.

Faction Threads - only two at a time, please
1. Romano-British - CLOSED
2. Franks - CLOSED
3. Saxons - CLOSED
4. Norsemen - CLOSED
5. Alemanni - CLOSED
6. Huns - CLOSED
7. Sassanids - CLOSED
8. Ostrogoths - CLOSED
9. Visigoths - CLOSED
10. Western Roman Empire - CLOSED
11. Burgundiones - CLOSED
12. Gepids - CLOSED
13. Alans - CLOSED
14. -BREAK TIME-
15. Berbers CLOSED
16. Vandals - OPEN BUT AS GOOD AS CLOSED
17. Lombardi - OPEN
18. Eastern Roman Empire - OPEN
19. Copts - OPEN
20. Caliphate - OPEN
21. Major Rebel Factions
22. Minor Rebel Factions

Mechanics Threads - Only three at a time, please
1. Reforms - CLOSED - will be reopened
2. Overall Buildings Discussion - CLOSED
3. Roman Culture and Buildings - OPEN
4. Barbarian Culture and Buildings - OPEN
5. Germanic Culture and Buildings - OPEN
6. Hunnic Culture and Buildings
7. Eastern Culture and Buildings
8. Berber Culture and Buildings
9. Religion and Priests
10. Zoroastrianism
11. Islam
12. Arianism
13. Christianity
14. Berber Pantheon
15. Germanic Pantheon
16. Hunnic Pantheon
17. UI and Faction Symbols
18. The Map - General Discussion - OPEN
19. The Map - The Norselands and British Isles
20. The Map - Western Europe
21. The Map - Central and Eastern Europe
22. The Map - The Mediterranean
23. The Map - The Balkans
24. The Map - The Steppes and the Caucasus
25. The Map - Anatolia and the Middle East
26. The Map - North Africa
27. Campaign Starting Positions
28. Scripting
29. Character Traits and Ancillaries
30. Historical Events
31. Custom Battles
32. Centers of Power

Map Threads - Only one at a time, please

1. Mercenaries - OPEN
2. North Africa
3. The Map - Western Europe and British Isles
4. The Map - Germania, Sarmatia and Norselands
5. The Map - Eastern Europe and the Balkans
6. The Map - Greece, Asia Minor and the Levant
7. The Map - Italy and Illyria
8. The Map - The Steppes
9. The Map - The Middle East and Egypt
10. AoR

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-04-2011 @ 01:50 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 20 October 2010 10:04 EDT (US)     1 / 31       
May I propose a reform?
Faction Threads - only two at a time, please
2. Franks - CLOSED
3. Saxons - OPEN
4. Norsemen - OPEN
5. Alemanni - OPEN
6. Burgundii
7. Ostrogoths
8. Visigoths
9. Illyrians
10. Huns
11. Venedae
12. Gepids
13. Alans
14. Sassanids
15. Berbers
16. Vandals
17. Western Roman Empire
18. Eastern Roman Empire
19. Copts - CLOSED - will be reopened when its time is reached
20. Caliphate
21. Major Rebel Factions
22. Minor Rebel Factions
23. Mercenaries
24. Areas of Recruitment (AoR)
The way things stand, we have a massive chunk of barbarians and then Romans squeezed in at the end. I would suggest spreading them out; there are only so many German tribes it's interesting to make in a row, you know?

6. Huns
7. Ostrogoths
8. Visigoths
9. Western Roman Empire
10. Burgundiones
11. Sassanids
12. Gepids
13. Alans
14. Sassanids
15. Berbers
16. Vandals
17. Illyrians
18. Eastern Roman Empire
19. Copts - CLOSED - will be reopened when its time is reached
20. Caliphate
21. Major Rebel Factions
22. Minor Rebel Factions
23. Mercenaries

That way it risks less becoming monotonous. I would also move AoR and merc discussion to a "maps" section - thus:

1. AoRs & Mercs
2. North Africa
3. The Map - Western Europe and British Isles
4. The Map - Germania, Sarmatia and Norselands
5. The Map - Eastern Europe and the Balkans
6. The Map - Greece, Asia Minor and the Levant
7. The Map - Italy and Illyria
8. The Map - The Steppes
9. The Map - The Middle East and Egypt

Start positions of factions and centres of power will I think be discussed along the way.

I also think you can bunch the different religion threads together - how much is there really to say about the different pantheons?

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 10-20-2010 @ 10:06 AM).]

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 21 October 2010 04:56 EDT (US)     2 / 31       
I've been observing a gradually slowing pace of current discussions and perhaps everyone could use a little "community Revival".

I have only 1 objection: keep the AoR thread with the Mercenaries thread - when we finish talking about every faction's roster, we can then take each faction's signature units into consideration when discussing AoR units. As of this moment, I have absolutely no idea about what kind of troops the Visigoths/Illyrians/Caliphate have, both in this mod and historically. Thus I can contribute very little, though I'm not sure if this is a problem for everyone else.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 24 October 2010 12:47 EDT (US)     3 / 31       
Agreed. I'll make the changes.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 14 November 2010 00:19 EDT (US)     4 / 31       
Judging from the flow of events lately, the next faction we work on in the queue almost has to be the WRE/ERE - the focal point of this whole project. People are obviously in need of a morale boost/ revival of interest in this mod project. And we're gonna do the Romans sooner or later anyway.

Please?

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 14 November 2010 20:52 EDT (US)     5 / 31       
No, the current order seems pretty good. You won't have long to wait for the WRE anyway.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 16 January 2011 17:17 EDT (US)     6 / 31       
I feel that we need more threads open, really. We've a long way to go and we're not progressing overly quickly. Opening some more threads would likely get things moving at a faster pace, especially when those of us who are participating are limited by different hours and the like. Perhaps a couple of the mapping threads and a bit more discussion of how we plan to deal with religion and other potential issues caused by hardcoded limits.

PROCRASTINATE NOT JAMAIS ARRIERE
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 17 January 2011 03:12 EDT (US)     7 / 31       
Some of the opened threads are long dead, also. Germanic Cultures, for example.
14. Sassanids (WTF? Twice? I'll fix this later)
LOL Mythic loves his Sassanids XD

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 17 January 2011 11:29 EDT (US)     8 / 31       
I think that was Terikel :-P

Re: Opening more threads: I agree with Drakontos. I'd almost be in favor of just opening all ~40 threads and being done with it, but that would spread the discussion out way too much. There's got to be some good balance. I'm open to suggestions here.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 17 January 2011 13:38 EDT (US)     9 / 31       
I propose a religion thread - first to do discuss how we're going to tackle the religion issue, and then from there start working on gods.

We already have a map one, we'll just have to be organised discussing it all there.

Archive the old mercenaries one, and make a new AoR/mercenaries one stating all current ideas, and start from there (its just cleaner)

And open another 4-5 faction threads. Visigoths, since they won't take long, WRE, Berbers, Gepids and Caliphate? That seems a reasonable selection to me.

And just open the other culture threads too, since those will just die off within a week.

Historical events might be another one, although I do already have a list, if a rudimentary one, from my 500AD mod.

That's 10 threads, leaving us with another half dozen or so. And as I said, several of those will not last long at all.

**EDIT** (look, I found the asterisks!)
In fact, the Berber culture thread can be merged with the berbers, since it's unique to them.
And since the Hun thread is still open, we can quickly throw in their culture at the end. Unless we're going to merge nomad and hun cultures for simplicity's sake? They would have integrated by now, anyway.

[This message has been edited by Drakontos (edited 01-17-2011 @ 02:00 PM).]

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 09 February 2011 05:09 EDT (US)     10 / 31       
2. Franks - CLOSED
3. Saxons - CLOSED
4. Norsemen - CLOSED
5. Alemanni - CLOSED
6. Huns - OPEN
7. Sassanids - OPEN
8. Ostrogoths - CLOSED
9. Visigoths - OPEN
10. Western Roman Empire
The Sassanids have been closed - the thread, that is - and unless there's some change to the agenda I am unaware of, it should be the WRE's turn now...

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 09 February 2011 06:47 EDT (US)     11 / 31       
When we close the Huns, then WRE opens.

Huns is still awaiting a majority decision on the name of the Horse god- Strivag or Yesroh.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 09 February 2011 07:26 EDT (US)     12 / 31       
Then I suggest we get moving. You wanna do the Hunnic intro? My hands are kinda full at the moment.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 10 February 2011 10:12 EDT (US)     13 / 31       
So, can we close Roman, Barbarian and Barbaro-Roman culture, and move onto Eastern and Steppe already?

Greek/Carthaginian can be discussed with their respective factions... so religion, too, can be opened?

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 11 February 2011 00:30 EDT (US)     14 / 31       
I think we can handle 3 factions at the same time - Huns, Ostrogoths and Sassanids showed that to be possible.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 11 February 2011 03:03 EDT (US)     15 / 31       
I'm sure that we can handle more without trouble, personally, but lets not be prodding the big colourful men upstairs too much!

3 sounds good to me. I think the Berbers would work well. Something a bit different.

Alpha211
Legionary
posted 11 February 2011 12:57 EDT (US)     16 / 31       
I agree with you GKA & Drakontos

But I also agree with the big colorful men point

[This message has been edited by Alpha211 (edited 02-11-2011 @ 12:57 PM).]

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 10 April 2011 07:29 EDT (US)     17 / 31       
Permission to open the Historical Events/ Historical Retinue Character (and Item) Thread, Old One, to balance out the recent gameplay-oriented discussions.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 10 April 2011 10:15 EDT (US)     18 / 31       
Granted.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 10 April 2011 10:28 EDT (US)     19 / 31       
Grazie. I'll make it later.

*wah-pah!!!*

[This message has been edited by GeneralKickAss (edited 04-10-2011 @ 10:29 AM).]

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 03 October 2011 17:52 EDT (US)     20 / 31       
I don't suppose we could have the Caliphate and the Copts opened again?

Having more than two threads open for the last few factions won't kill us... and these two ought to be discussed with the ERE, I think.

Plus we should make the most of our current bubble of activity.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04 October 2011 01:48 EDT (US)     21 / 31       
You make a good point, and the Vandals are almost done as soon as a certain Old ONe gets his thumb out of his wrinkled ass and writes the faction intro.

Thus done.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 02 December 2011 21:07 EDT (US)     22 / 31       
Would I be right to assume that all discussion of what units will actually look like and what their stats will be like will take place in the scripting thread?

Death is a (vastly) preferable alternative to communism.
"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 05 December 2011 04:30 EDT (US)     23 / 31       
Balancing will take likely place during playtesting, while unit descriptions and the like will probably eventuate when we start modding, in some special thread. The scripting thread will be for just that - scripting, not text work.

What they'll look like... well some of that has been discussed, otherwise many will likely be reskinned vanilla units, at least at first. One step at a time!

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 05 December 2011 22:16 EDT (US)     24 / 31       
It looks like we need a little more traffic in here, so why don't we open a thread and actually start discussing what we are going to do with specific units. I know that it would be a lot of work, and we would only be able to discuss factions like the Norse, who have pretty much been given their final form, but if we open a thread in the General Modding forum and at the Red Lion Tavern, I guarantee you that we will get some people interested, and that, with the extra traffic get some of the other things done.

I think that this is a great mod idea, but we need some people to get interested in it again before it will come to anything. Otherwise we aren't going to get any interest for another few months, at the rate this is going. Sound do able?

"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 06 December 2011 06:15 EDT (US)     25 / 31       
Traffic started slacking because two of the project managers are having time management issues. One dropped of the face of the earth, while the other got overwhelmed with all kinds of shit.

However, we will be moving forward anyway.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 07 December 2011 01:12 EDT (US)     26 / 31       
Do we have any idea what has happened to Mythic?

O Foghladha
Legionary
posted 07 December 2011 01:23 EDT (US)     27 / 31       
I know that this is a Rome total war heaven community mod... but maybe posting an 'ad' on other forums would bring in more people willing to help?

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future"
Legionary
posted 07 December 2011 20:10 EDT (US)     28 / 31       
My exact point. And since Mythic has dropped off the face of the earth, I think we should elect another manager to help give Terikel some breathing room, as well as getting things started again.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 09 December 2011 04:17 EDT (US)     29 / 31       
I don't think a new manager will change anything, to be honest. The only thing likely to stimulate any real interest is some progress... and even that isn't guaranteed to get anything going.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 10 December 2011 00:53 EDT (US)     30 / 31       
Which is why I want to start some of the scripting of units. That will get some people interested. And if we finish figuring out what we want the map to generally look like, and start work on that, that should get people interested again.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 10 December 2011 13:44 EDT (US)     31 / 31       
Good News. Mythic just appeared on the face of the earth. He just posted and locked a thread in the RTW Discussion forum today.

[This message has been edited by Agrippa 271 (edited 12-10-2011 @ 01:47 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames