Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.112 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » General Discussion
Bottom
Topic Subject:General Discussion
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 17 September 2010 14:55 EDT (US)         
Any general discussions on Dark Ages: Roman Revival should go in this thread.

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
AuthorReplies:
Primus Julius
Legionary
posted 19 September 2010 09:07 EDT (US)     1 / 112       
What version of the game is this going to be for?
1.0? BI? 1.2?

Caesar: No, I am NOT coming to the celebration. I need to stay home and spend time with my wife!

Decimus: But Caesar, they'll give you a crown if you come!

Caesar: OH! I go to the senate. I want a salad.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 19 September 2010 09:18 EDT (US)     2 / 112       
Fully patched BI I think.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 19 September 2010 09:25 EDT (US)     3 / 112       
Aye, BI 1.6.

However, it would be an idea to try and make it compatible with RTW 1.5 as well. I know it's possible. Mythic?

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 19 September 2010 09:50 EDT (US)     4 / 112       
You'd just lose the ability to have night battles and the abilities introduced in BI (swimming, shield wall etc). And apparently the AI's a bit better in BI.

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 19 September 2010 13:14 EDT (US)     5 / 112       
Given that adaptation to work in vanilla would take a fair bit of coding, I would say that we should probably get the mod finished and up to a good, stable version before making it backwards-compatible.

Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 20 September 2010 11:04 EDT (US)     6 / 112       
I think it's probably not very much work to make a vanilla-compatible version - so little I might volunteer to do it.

But yes, this will all be after the mod is actually finished and released. No rush.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 21 September 2010 13:50 EDT (US)     7 / 112       
Hm, Mum's just got a history book that deals with Dark Age Britain, and naturally I flicked through it. And was slightly discomforted by the fact it appeared in the first few chapters to deal almost entirely with a 50-year decline/economic crash that decimated the Romano Britons ("Without a single Saxon in
sight") by 407AD.

This may mean a slight rethink on the Romano Britons should we be going for 'Edgy and Historical'. If we're going for rule of fun, however, then a bit of fluff in the faction profiles saying "A strong leader can halt this crisis", followed by the lower tier troops being a step below the saxon ones until we hit Dragon Warriors would be fine.
Plus, Romanos have the advantage in actually having Cavalry to balance out the Saxon/RB stakes. So balance-wise that would be fine.

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 21 September 2010 14:58 EDT (US)     8 / 112       
That would make the RB more fun to play and sounds like it should be implemented. Perhaps they should start the game in debt?

On a completely unrelated note, an Alexander version might be a good idea. An Alexander version would support better AI, more unit variety, and famous heroes. The downside is that not everyone has Alexander. Perhaps we should make an "expansion" for the mod after we are done that uses the Alexander engine to include some new goodies.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 22 September 2010 08:53 EDT (US)     9 / 112       
Low money, yes. But debts could put people off...

We'll have to see what happens during beta-testing. For now let's stay at low money and slightly-weaker-than-Saxons-lower-tier-infantry-until-Legio-Draconis. We could always experiment with starting in debt in beta-testing.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
RomulusofEpirus
Legionary
posted 25 September 2010 07:29 EDT (US)     10 / 112       
just a random thing here, in BI 1.6, Eastern Romans can't bribe Western Romans vice versa, i think this should be changed. If a war had happened between the west and east, wouldn't romans have changed sides if they were offered the correct amount of money? i mean, your still roman, but does it matter which side you are?
im probably wrong about this

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars
War without France would be like... World War II- Unknown
Researcher for Dark Ages: Roman Revival (now i have something to be proud of lol)
Rinster
Legionary
posted 25 September 2010 14:25 EDT (US)     11 / 112       
It's because they have different rosters in vanilla BI, at least i think...
or do you mean at all?
RomulusofEpirus
Legionary
posted 25 September 2010 19:37 EDT (US)     12 / 112       
you can't bribe Eastern Romans as Western Romans, even if they have say, only comitatenses

The Dutch-Moroccan Wars
War without France would be like... World War II- Unknown
Researcher for Dark Ages: Roman Revival (now i have something to be proud of lol)
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 27 September 2010 19:53 EDT (US)     13 / 112       
This whole community mod project has been really awesome, It would be nice if we constantly had mod project going on.
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 27 September 2010 21:57 EDT (US)     14 / 112       
It would be nice if we constantly had mod project going on.
Do you mean another mod project after this one? Because I have a few plans for more mod projects...but I digress. Let's focus on getting this one planned.

Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 28 September 2010 18:40 EDT (US)     15 / 112       
yes, let us enjoy this.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
Primus Julius
Legionary
posted 29 September 2010 16:44 EDT (US)     16 / 112       
Could we make one compatible with 1.2? Because whenever I try to install 1.3 it works, but when I try to install 1.5 it says that I don't have 1.3, I have the right directory and everything for both patches.

Caesar: No, I am NOT coming to the celebration. I need to stay home and spend time with my wife!

Decimus: But Caesar, they'll give you a crown if you come!

Caesar: OH! I go to the senate. I want a salad.
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 29 September 2010 19:29 EDT (US)     17 / 112       
Wait a second...
If this game is going to have priests, does that mean that there is no choice in religion for each city, as it was in BI.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 09 October 2010 10:39 EDT (US)     18 / 112       
I found this jewel bu jurijb08 in another thread (concerning A possible Rome 2):
What would also be good is adding to the ability to recruit more than one unit and/or agent a turn. It is simply stupid waiting to get one spy/diplomat/assassin when you could easily recruit a unit of, say, armoured hoplites at the same time. They come from different buildings anyway.
That is an excellent point. Can our system handle that?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 09 October 2010 14:09 EDT (US)     19 / 112       
Unfortunately, no, we can't do that, which is really too bad because it does add to both gameplay and realism.

Seneca Monachus
Legionary
posted 09 October 2010 14:24 EDT (US)     20 / 112       
isn't it possible to give diplomats assasins 0 turn recruitment so you can train agents and units at the same time?
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 09 October 2010 22:07 EDT (US)     21 / 112       
Yeah, good point, I think that should be doable.

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 09 October 2010 23:04 EDT (US)     22 / 112       
True, I wasn't thinking of 0-turn recruitment. The problem, of course, is that making elite units take 2 turns to recruit messes with the system, but it does make for some very unique gameplay.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 10 October 2010 01:52 EDT (US)     23 / 112       
making elite units take 2 turns to recruit messes with the system,
Er... sorry, not quite getting that

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 10 October 2010 04:54 EDT (US)     24 / 112       
It makes the player think while recruiting- he has to place the 0-turn units at the head of the queue and the two-turn units after.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 10 October 2010 06:55 EDT (US)     25 / 112       
But that's the rule! That's what you do when retraining units: Put in the ones to be retrained first, then add the new unit you want to recruit. (sounds like a recipe)

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 10 October 2010 10:54 EDT (US)     26 / 112       
Let me put it to you this way: if we're using zero-turn recruitment to represent being able to train two units simultaneously, and there is a unit that takes two turns to train (or even one, for that matter), then no other units can be trained while that elite unit is being trained, which kind of breaks the illusion of having multiple build slots. My only other problem with zero-turn recruitment, on a different note, is that it lets the player literally train eight units at once, which usually leads to stack-spamming from both the AI and the player, especially later on in the game when there is more money to throw around. I've never been one for that style of play, but I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 10 October 2010 13:56 EDT (US)     27 / 112       
I take it you couldn't have a .5 turn recruitment could you? I'm in favor of having agents being 0 turn, but having their costs bumped up to compensate. Training a spy, assassin or in this case Priest (that's what's replacing diplomats right?) shouldn't be cheap. They need to hone their skills.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 10 October 2010 14:52 EDT (US)     28 / 112       
Don't make all units 0-turn, only those that actually qualify- like hiring a spy, diplomat, or an assassin. There were no training cetners for thsoe fellows back then- you simply hired someone to do a job. He either learned his trade on the job, or died trying.

So I can live with 0-turn recruiting for agents. The same for peasants. Others should wait.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 10 October 2010 19:35 EDT (US)     29 / 112       
no other units can be trained while that elite unit is being trained
When its training's halfway through? I get that now. Well... it's still better than always having to sacrifice training a new unit for a new agent.

Didn't we start this because we wanted to allow faster training for agents? Why is it extending to other units now?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 October 2010 01:30 EDT (US)     30 / 112       
That's bullshit.

I do this a lot where I have 0-turn peasants. Put the peasasnts in the queue (to lower population, mostly) and the urbans or whatever 2-turn unit in the queue. The next turn, simply put more peasants in then slide the half-finished urban or whatever to the end of the queue.

The game remembers how far along in a building or unit you have come.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 11 October 2010 07:01 EDT (US)     31 / 112       
You mean drag-and-drop the half-trained Urban unit card to the end of the queue?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 October 2010 08:20 EDT (US)     32 / 112       
Yep.

Works good.

Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 17 October 2010 14:39 EDT (US)     33 / 112       
THis is just my idea, but should the ERE have militia-like hoplites that can be recruited in Greece? After all, the romans were let most of the greek cities keep their cultural (but not political) independence. For you spartan-lovers who do not know this, after the battle of Adrianople in 378 A.D., a legend states that a spartan militia defeated the gothic army. This might not be true, but it states that city-states such as Sparta kept their cultural independence.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaţáttr, #77.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 17 October 2010 15:15 EDT (US)     34 / 112       
Cultural independence, yes.

But by 500 AD phalanxes and hoplites were definitely history- the emphasis was on mobility, which the previous era's soldiers simply did not have.

Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 18 October 2010 13:28 EDT (US)     35 / 112       
The spartans were already in military decline before the romans even conquered greece.

As Terikel said, it was about speed. Adrianople was a big battle and more important, it was a defeat for rome. Both before and after Adrianople the Romans relied on quick actions. The goths were eventually fought after they broke in many small armies. Romans usually adopted the tactic of destroying bands of raiders, after they tried to get back across the border with heavy spoils. Ambushing became one of the most important tactic, and I think this should be seen in the abilities of roman infantry (good at hiding).
Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 02 November 2010 04:37 EDT (US)     36 / 112       
This should be posted with the WRE, but I'm afraid I will forget it. The Vandals had already captured Africa. Italy was dependant on African grain and Africa was the most profitable province of the west. The Romans later tried, but failed to recapture it. But (at least according to Adrian Goldsworthy) regaining it, would be the key to restoring the west. In the rest of the west, barbarian subkingdoms emerged, making taxes decline. With Africa, WRE could have the money to support an army able of restoring the west. Perhaps some sort of trigger can be made, that if WRE captures Africa, it will get a lot more taxes.
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 02 November 2010 06:02 EDT (US)     37 / 112       
While we could give the WRE a global 10% tax bonus or something attached to Carthage, we'd run the risk of limiting their campaign choices/making them overpowered.

We could just make Carthage a particularly rich province, with Grain Export type buildings resulting in a very high tax base. Whoever controlled it would thus reap the benefits, and not just the WRE!

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 02 November 2010 06:57 EDT (US)     38 / 112       
That last part sounds about right. The area around Carthage was very rich and fertile in the old days, and that meant power to whoever owned it.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 02 November 2010 07:01 EDT (US)     39 / 112       
Good ideas!
Whoever controlled it would thus reap the benefits, and not just the WRE!
Yes, if it helped the Romans so much, I don't see why it can't help others too, so Carthage can be made rich (Again!). I was thinking if it'd still be as rich after the Vandals ravaged Africa, but if the Romans tried so hard to recapture it, I guess it's still worth tons of denarii, time and effort.

Mapper, (Yes that's you Edorix ) alert!

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 02 November 2010 16:29 EDT (US)     40 / 112       
Hmm. I should probably mention that I'm happy to do any mapping and text-related modding, at least at present.

I don't imagine my opinion will change, but whether or not my internet works well enough to be constantly uploading/downloading in 6 months is another question altogether.

I'm also tempted to play around and make a provincial campaign based on this idea, just to give people something to play with/ let me test some gameplay mechanics. Would anyone be keen?

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 06 November 2010 01:08 EDT (US)     41 / 112       
@Drakontos: Maybe, maybe not...

Depends on the development timeline of this mod, but I might be able to do some writing for unit descriptions and traits/ retinue. I'm basically headed for tons of schoolwork in the coming months, all the way until May 2011, when my A-levels finish and bliss awaits. (ah... four full months of gaming and etc...)

vampiric canniba
Legionary
posted 12 November 2010 03:00 EDT (US)     42 / 112       
Recruitment times: will there be 0 turn recruitment for some or all units? Because they make many more epic battles, and it isn't all that historically inaccurate for 0 turn recruitment for, say, tier 1, maybe tier 2 units, who didn't get all that much training. Hopefully this won't unbalance the game, with levy spearmen spam.

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 12 November 2010 13:29 EDT (US)     43 / 112       
So far the general consensus seems to be Agents (Diplomats, Spies, Assassins) and Peasants will be 0-turn units.

The rest will probably be 1-turn, with a few elites being 2.

Really, really low-level units may also be 0-turn, but that is yet to be decided.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 11-12-2010 @ 01:30 PM).]

eth689
Legionary
posted 25 November 2010 12:02 EDT (US)     44 / 112       
So is this gonna be a total revamp? Nothing will be the same as it was in BI right?
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 25 November 2010 12:58 EDT (US)     45 / 112       
It is based on BI, but with the changed 150 years of turmoil will bring.

Some things will probably be the same, others will get a whole new revamp. It all depends on how the discussions go.

eth689
Legionary
posted 25 November 2010 20:10 EDT (US)     46 / 112       
We could have tons of rebel factions, for their were no big empires and only a couple are playable. So we could have a bunch of annoying germanic tribes or small groups of african desert warriors.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 26 November 2010 01:48 EDT (US)     47 / 112       
There is a hard-coded limit to the number of factions, and we have reached it already. There is no way around it.

There are also limits on the number of models/skeletons/units, and another on number of provinces.

FYI

Tittus Labienus
Legionary
posted 28 November 2010 04:55 EDT (US)     48 / 112       
In Amazon Total War, once your capital building reached tier 4 status you could recruit Generals after a 3 turn build period. Have y'alll considered this?

Lab
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 28 November 2010 05:14 EDT (US)     49 / 112       
I think we've already included one General unit for every faction so far.

matt will
Legionary
posted 28 November 2010 09:59 EDT (US)     50 / 112       
While we're on the topic of generals, how big will their bodyguards be?

My Gondor hotseat campaign. Please Help!

Under the White Tree A Gondor short story on the fall of Minas Tirith.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames