You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Dark Ages: Roman Revival
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.53 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Dark Ages: Roman Revival » Roman Culture and Buildings
Bottom
Topic Subject:Roman Culture and Buildings
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 05 October 2010 15:25 EDT (US)         
We have three Roman factions in DA:RR - the Western Roman Empire, Eastern Roman Empire, and Romano-British. What can we do to make them distinctive and fun to play? We're focusing on the campaign map now, rather than the armies and battles. To start off the conversation, I'd like to propose three areas that could use some fleshing out: races, government/careers, and religion.

The generals in BI liked one of the four racing teams (reds, blues, greens and whites). We could, perhaps, allow the player to upgrade his racing stadiums with facilities specifically tailored to one of the teams, giving positive traits to the general who supports that team.

The Roman government was modeled to some extent in BI using offices that were implemented via ancillaries. We could expand on that by adding more offices and increasing their importance.

Finally, given the variety of pagan cults still present in Rome until the end of the empire and the varieties of Christianity at the time, a general could have his religious beliefs and denomination represented via character traits.

We should also think about adding some fun unique Roman buildings, including, perhaps, great engineering projects that never were, the wonders of the world that a resurgent Rome would have erected while the world crumbled around them. We can have a lot of fun with this one, people.

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
AuthorReplies:
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 05 October 2010 16:44 EDT (US)     1 / 53       
Ahh yes, my people, the true civilization.
I did not know that BI gave the family members fav racing colors. As for the offices, I like the idea, but I really don't know what happens when a office holding character dies. I think the Roman forts should be expanded to show their great fort making skills(Roman forts became more like military cites). I really think(this applies to all factions) that civilians should be included in city battles(the same way they are when viewing your city), peasants are not very accurate, because they fight as a unit, and who really would train them. Lastly, a friend made me think if it is possible to have the ERE name become the Byzantine Empire if the WRE dies, or if the WRE can become the RE.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 05 October 2010 20:01 EDT (US)     2 / 53       
Wouldn't the Coptics also be Roman in culture? I mean they weren't exactly 'barbarians' in Egypt as they once were.

Maybe have retinue given for generals who stay in settlements with the particular racing place for a certain amount, which would add management and influence, but lessen command?

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 05 October 2010 22:09 EDT (US)     3 / 53       
This is stretching my creativity and knowledge for a bit. For now I shall stick to evaluating others' suggestions.

Mythic: Is it possible to code something like granting a certain buildable racing team's HQ when a fan governor is in town? Like a general that "Ups the Reds" is in Rome, and a new option to build "Reds HQ" (not the real name) comes up?

Triumphal Arch, anyone? (+public order)

really don't know about the Copts, sorry.

Augustus: A spawn-on-siege citizen militia unit?

Nice, Punic, I see you've added that whispered finish

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix
Guild of the Skalds, Order of the Silver Quill, Apprentice Storyteller
Battle of Ilipa, 206BC - XI TWH Egil Skallagrimson Award

The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 06 October 2010 00:56 EDT (US)     4 / 53       
One thing that might be interesting is Suppanunt-XC style ethnic traits. In the case of Rome, perhaps Gallo-Roman, Hispano-Roman, Roman, Italian, African, Egyptian, Greek... etc, depending on what territories they hold. Each different trait giving a small bonus.

Greek being +1 management, +1 trade
Generic Roman being +command +1 law

Or such. Obviously the names I've used are just generic ones which could (and should) be thoroughly revised.

Cognomen-style epithets would be cool too.

PROCRASTINATE NOT JAMAIS ARRIERE
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 06 October 2010 15:32 EDT (US)     5 / 53       
GKA,
Kind of, but not really a unit, add the same civilians from the city view option in campaign mode, to city battle. I have actually seen them in the unit_descr file, so just add stats to them. They could have knives, pitchforks, bows, unarmed fighting, etc, civilians may use anything, but it would depend on their class, we could have civilian units for each class, higher classes with better weapons, and since they are counted as civilians, they do not fight as a unit, nor take orders, and don't appear on the campaign map, just like they are in city viewer, they will be spread out, and may walk around the city, fighting any "invaders" they come by. This could be done for any faction.

EDIT: I think either the Copts shuld be Roman, eastern(same for caliphate), or have their own culture(perhaps more like Egypt in RTW).

"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli

[This message has been edited by AugustusCaesar (edited 10-06-2010 @ 03:36 PM).]

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 06 October 2010 20:07 EDT (US)     6 / 53       
Nice idea Augustus, but I'm fairly sure we've once again run into the not-possible-to-program-that barrier. :/

A new culture for the Copts could work, I think we have room for one more.

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 06 October 2010 21:59 EDT (US)     7 / 53       
We do have room for a new culture, but what would we really do with it? I just can't think of a way that we would use a culture slot to make the Copts unique that we couldn't do without the slot. The original proposal included them as an Eastern faction with Roman influences, sort of like how the Seleucids in RTW were Greek with Eastern influences.

I like all of the ideas so far - the citizen idea is completely impossible to mod, unfortunately, but it's definitely a good idea for a gameplay mechanic.

Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 06 October 2010 23:05 EDT (US)     8 / 53       
knowing me, I would try anyway, but I lack(ed) my desktop. what about my friend's idea on names, I think he's right, ex the Kalmar Union from Denmark, but that being M2TW, I'm not sure.

Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 07 October 2010 10:17 EDT (US)     9 / 53       
Why change the name to byzantine empire after the WRE has fallen? First of all this mod was about keeping the WRE alive.
Second: The term byzantine empire is a name given by modern historians. The people in the ERE would call it the eastern empire or -especially after the west was gone- simply the roman empire. They were Romans, NOT byzantines.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 07 October 2010 10:21 EDT (US)     10 / 53       
Good point.

We might call them Byzantines here in this forum, but in the Mod they will be known as Eastern Roman Empire.

As for a culture, maybe a blending of Roman (west) and Greek? Heraclius became emperor of the East in 610 and made Greek the official language, Hellenizing the Eastern Empire. That's not too long (gamewise) after 500. So we can make it Greek right off the bat (kick Heraclius in a little early...)

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-07-2010 @ 10:26 AM).]

Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 07 October 2010 11:44 EDT (US)     11 / 53       
Actually, before the start of this mod, greek was already the commonly used language in the eastern part of the empire. Many people could still speak latin, but they didn't use it as much as greek in the east.
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 07 October 2010 16:34 EDT (US)     12 / 53       
We can't go for any name changes in the middle of the game, unfortunately, but it is a good idea. So far we have triumphal arches and racetrack extensions as new Roman buildings. What were some other buildings that might have set Rome apart? One idea I had would be a massive church, almost on the scale of the Apostolic Palace (which would not be constructed for a few hundred years), which could only be built in Rome and would signify the ultimate devotion to Christianity. However, the Romans would also have the option to build a massive temple to one of the old gods, which would cement a conversion back to paganism, fitting in with the theme of cultural reforms.

Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 07 October 2010 17:45 EDT (US)     13 / 53       
Perhaps let the Roman's build St. Peter's basilica in Rome. Also, what of the pope, they had pope's in this time period.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 07 October 2010 19:39 EDT (US)     14 / 53       
There were some interesting new trade building ideas from the buildings thread, perhaps we can make some of the more advanced ones exclusive for Roman cultures?

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for." -Homer
"You see, this is what happens when you don't follow instructions, GKA..." -Edorix

Seneca Monachus
Legionary
posted 08 October 2010 03:07 EDT (US)     15 / 53       
Hagia Sophia maybe for the massive church?
For the WRE the Curia Hostilia/Julia in Rome?
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 10 October 2010 11:09 EDT (US)     16 / 53       
I like all of those ideas. Perhaps if the Romans promote paganism, they can build a giant amphitheater dwarfing even the Colosseum which would let them train gladiators.

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 10 October 2010 11:42 EDT (US)     17 / 53       
Thracian Gladiators? Samnites would make no sense anymore.

Elaborating on the "exclusive advanced buildings" idea:

Masons, Slave Trader/Market, Grain Exchange, Brothels (woohoo), Lighthouses...

A new idea: A unique training building for WRE and ERE that requires 0 turns to grant 1 Experience Bonus. Roman discipline was famous and since experience bonuses are going to be somewhat restricted, according to this -
Quoted from Totalwarfan14: take the bonus away from the temples that give unit upgrades
Quoted from Mythic: I wouldn't be for outright taking experience bonuses away, but they should be restricted to higher-level temples, or maybe only to temples in centers of power.
- I propose a Roman building that acts as a retraining center for legionaries in town.

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 10 October 2010 14:17 EDT (US)     18 / 53       
I was really talking more about experience bonuses from temples there - barracks experience bonuses would still apply - but I do like the idea of a Roman training center building.

Liam_the_Spartan
Banned
posted 11 October 2010 03:16 EDT (US)     19 / 53       
That's a great idea genralkickass! I hate trying to get my units to gain experience bacause they just die.

How about the romans have a sacrifice square? (Goats, not humans) That increases public order and increases morale of the units fighting in that city? I'm not sure if it would increase or decrease income because they have to kill a load of goats, which would decrease income. Or if people had to pay for a goat then pay for it to be sacrificed, (which was what usually happened) and that would increase income??
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 11 October 2010 14:38 EDT (US)     20 / 53       
Well, The once proud Roman Disciplene, really didn't exist past Constitine's time. Constitine ruined the army, by reducing it to a part time split force of border militia andnormal soldiers. By then, it was the Roman soldiers who became the auxilia, as the auxilia made up the greater of the army.

Maybe we could include the disciplene exp boost after the Caesarian reforms in the mod.

Howabout upgrading the Roman forts, they were the best fort makers in history. Roman forts had hospitals and barracks, maybe we could let them retrain troops. They also had mountable walls(the fort walls in game are not mountable).

Great Idea's so far!

Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 11 October 2010 16:14 EDT (US)     21 / 53       
Constantine did not ruin the army. He and Diocletian made some very much needed reforms. It's true that discipline has been better before that time. The main source of the lack of discipline was the constant civil war. Emperors and rebel emperors both depended on the soldiers for survival. If they fell out of favour they were usually quickly murdered.

Emperors were always afraid of succesful generals, because they could revolt against them. Succesful generals usually did revolt or ended up being executed. This of course reduced the effectiveness of the army.

And many people falsely accused important people of treason, to take their place after they were executed or exiled.

In fact, the relative stability Constantine and diocletian brought, likely improved the effectiveness of the army.

It's true that most soldiers were no longer Romans. Army duties became impopular with the roman people. Even most of the officers were not really roman, but who was? Most emperors were not really roman, but they were all roman in culture. But the romans did make deals with tribes and mercenary bands to serve the empire in exchange for land inside the empire. This would create some semi-independant kingdoms, which reduced roman tax income.

Actually I can all recommend you to read Adrian Goldsworthy's fall of rome. It's great way to find out what the problems of the empire were.
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 17 October 2010 01:48 EDT (US)     22 / 53       
good suggestion it seems, still think the Roman's should have accurate forts, fort are counted as part of culture, so change the model of the Roman culture's fort to be bigger and make the walls mountable, if of course this is possible. Mythic?...

GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 17 October 2010 03:13 EDT (US)     23 / 53       
While I do like a more Romanized fort building complete with mountable walls, I still think we should add it as an extra fortification option instead of switch it with the weaker existing fort.

First because you're gonna have to raise the building cost of the new and improved fort. Second because players getting low on money may not be able to afford the more expensive fort (say he has 550 Denarii but the new fort costs 1000D?). If that happens he can't fortify a key position before the end-turn at all!

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 17 October 2010 12:48 EDT (US)     24 / 53       
Is it possible to give the Romans a better fort? Yes. Is it difficult? Yes. I'd say that we probably shouldn't try, much as I would love to see it ingame.

Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 17 October 2010 13:06 EDT (US)     25 / 53       
A better fort (that I've seen) would entail a mini-castle. It has stone walls, I think maybe only 2 gates, which have boiling oil, and towers which shoot arrows like the regular towers.

WAY overpowered.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Rinster
Legionary
posted 17 October 2010 14:04 EDT (US)     26 / 53       
if we are going to improve the forts, then they should be realistic and have 4 gateways like the regular roman forts did
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 18 October 2010 16:14 EDT (US)     27 / 53       
Well, I don't know about the arrow shooting towers, but as long as it has mountable walls and typical Roman for size, and is historically accurate. This I don't know if it's possible, but it would be really accurate, if the romans could retrain troops at forts as they had hospitals in their forts. I don't really think it would be unfair, because in the campaign, the Romans particularly the west and british, will most likely start off blitzkrieg style and go totally offense til the west forms their Rhine/Danube border and the RB takes all Britian.

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 18 October 2010 21:11 EDT (US)     28 / 53       
We, unfortunately, cannot have the Romans retrain units at their forts. Changing the layout on the battle map is certainly doable, but it will be difficult. If someone has the skill and the know-how, it would be really cool if we could get this feature in, but it probably won't happen. I love the idea, though.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 19 October 2010 01:40 EDT (US)     29 / 53       
We can try to do the mountable walls bit though- just raise the ground inside the walls (to 3-5 meters of the wall itself) to waist/chest high. The wall itself remains the same.

Then you have mountable walls. The units can march up the little hill to the top of the wall.

Outside it remains the same wooden wall it always was. The RTW fort is already square with four gates- so no changes there. Simply a gradual elevation shift inside and ready to go.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 19 October 2010 02:21 EDT (US)     30 / 53       
I wouldn't really make roman forts bigger. In this period forts only had a small garisson, and the comitatenses were billeted with the population of cities. If the romans should have a fort bonus, I suggest making it cheaper since the romans built so many forts.
GeneralKickAss
Legionary
posted 20 October 2010 09:59 EDT (US)     31 / 53       
Quoted from Terikel:
Then you have mountable walls. The units can march up the little hill to the top of the wall.
They're standing on raised earth instead of wooden platforms? So any attacking unit can breach the walls with a ram, then fight their way up the slope behind the wall?

Sounds OP, but less OP than stone walls. Even if we make the Roman forts to boast stone walls, can we remove the arrow-towers from them to reduce the OP-ness?

Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 20 October 2010 20:15 EDT (US)     32 / 53       
yea, no arrow shooting towers. Plus the walls would be wood anyway in a Roman fort.

-Anyway, concerning the Romans, what of the family tree, there is records of Aetius's familiy right? If not, do we come up with names?

[This message has been edited by AugustusCaesar (edited 10-20-2010 @ 08:57 PM).]

Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 21 October 2010 01:32 EDT (US)     33 / 53       
And you have the names of the emperors, stilicho and such.
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 24 October 2010 12:51 EDT (US)     34 / 53       
I have no idea how we'd do a simple elevation change, and something tells me it would be more complicated than it should be, but if we can find out how to do it, that would be a great addition.

For names, we can use vanilla BI's list as a base, and then update it with historical records.

Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 24 October 2010 20:21 EDT (US)     35 / 53       
I think I found out how to mod the forts, there was a Roman Fort file under settlement plans. I took a quick peek, and saw measurements and dementions of the fort. didn't try anything though

Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 06 February 2011 08:10 EDT (US)     36 / 53       
Any other ideas?

Else, we're done here.

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 18 August 2011 18:34 EDT (US)     37 / 53       
Been awhile, but I wish to bring up the reverting to paganism idea. Would you be able to recruit pagan priests? What Gods/Cults will be available and what would be their effects? Perhaps bringing back Vanilla(Caesarian Reforms applying to Buildings?) Gods like Mercury, Jupiter, Mars, and Neptune(providing Corvus Quinquiremes and Decere for recruitment)?

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 20 August 2011 07:54 EDT (US)     38 / 53       
I don't think recruitable priests are planned for anyone. They're a waste of a unit slot.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 29 November 2011 21:22 EDT (US)     39 / 53       
If I can say anything about the Roman Forts of the later empire, they were MASSIVE. They could have easily been mistaken for the castles of the Middle Ages. I would say that to get a really historically accurate Roman Fort in the game would be a challenge, but very cool. It would be a little over powered, but the Romans never left huge garrisons in these. So, we could limit the number of troops that they could leave there.

Death is a (vastly) preferable alternative to communism.
"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 01 December 2011 03:41 EDT (US)     40 / 53       
To the best of my knowledge the number of troops you can leave in forts isn't something we can mod.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 01 December 2011 21:00 EDT (US)     41 / 53       
Ok. *shrugs* We can make it really expensive. Or we could just make the walls mountable, and not give a super fort/early castle with everything that that entitles to the Romans at all. Or leave the Romans with the traditional forts (which is what I'm guessing is going to happen).

"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel
Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 01 December 2011 21:10 EDT (US)     42 / 53       
Is it possible that someone could use one of the castles in M2TW to use as the improved fort? I'd try it myself, except I don't have M2TW and it would probably be absolutely awful/unfeasible due to my possible lack of the required software.

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 02 December 2011 00:04 EDT (US)     43 / 53       
While we possibly can, doing so would be illegal, I think. Not to mention terribly, terribly ahistorical.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 02 December 2011 20:00 EDT (US)     44 / 53       
Not really. Like I said, late Roman forts had a lot in common with castles. I just can't remember exactly what and am too lazy to go get my Roman Empire book that has the info that I'm thinking of. I hope its not illegal, though. That would suck. Can we get a double check on this?

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 05 December 2011 04:23 EDT (US)     45 / 53       
I don't know that a High Medieval castle superficially looked that much like a late Roman fort, similarities abound as they may.

We'd be taking something from one game and importing it into another. So yeah, I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Using the Med2 map was, in theory, so this would be too...

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 05 December 2011 22:05 EDT (US)     46 / 53       
Can we get a for sure on this? Its (or, at least I think it is) a really good idea, so I am really hoping (wistfully, as it will probably turn out) that we can do this. I do know that, although the Roman forts were likely to generally be square, following convention, they did have huge walls and gigantic towers. So, if there's any chance we could do it, I'm willing to hold out...Although it probably is illegal...

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 06 December 2011 03:24 EDT (US)     47 / 53       
I am not sure of the exact legality, but I am pretty sure that modding for personal use and not for sale is okay. Otherwise we would have been shut down years ago as every mod is a tweak of the original games...

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 06 December 2011 04:42 EDT (US)     48 / 53       
The issue is the taking from one game (Med2) and using it for another game (Rome), I believe.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 07 December 2011 20:25 EDT (US)     49 / 53       
I wish that those stinking legal agreements that they have you sign were easier to read; I would expect that this would have been addressed in the M2TW one. I don't have M2TW, so I can't check myself. It would probably be a real hassle, so at this point, unless if anyone's prepared to spend at least a good thirty minutes going through that, we should probably put it to a vote of leaving the forts alone or making the walls more than thin stick barriers, do that they are more defend-able... What do you say?

Drakontos
Legionary
posted 09 December 2011 04:20 EDT (US)     50 / 53       
I think forts are one of the less urgent things to deal with. So my vote is for leaving them.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 10 December 2011 00:54 EDT (US)     51 / 53       
I agree. We need to get some things done before we start on this.

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 11 December 2011 12:25 EDT (US)     52 / 53       
Just to provide some modding context on this, it would be possible, but insanely difficult even setting aside the legal issues. It would be easier to just start from scratch. Settlement modding is easily one of the most difficult things to do in the Total War engine. Hate to be a dream-crusher.

Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 11 December 2011 15:07 EDT (US)     53 / 53       
Sigh. I knew it was wistful thinking. And its probably illegal anyway. Let's leave it for now, and later we can decide if we want to give the Roman forts walls that are stone or not. It was a good idea though.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames